Start by marking “The Gayer-Anderson Cat” as Want to Read:
The Gayer-Anderson Cat

The Gayer-Anderson Cat

The Gayer-Anderson Cat has been one of the most admired objects at the British Museum since its arrival in 1947. This book presents a detailed description of the cat and a discussion of its possible meaning and role in ancient times. Surprising new finds from scientific analyses are presented for the first time, shedding light on the cats somewhat traumatic modern history, ...more
Published December 31st 2007 by British Museum Press (first published December 30th 2007)

To ask other readers questions about The Gayer-Anderson Cat, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Gayer-Anderson Cat

Nikki
Nov 29, 2012 Nikki rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2012-reads
One of my earliest memories is of wanting a figurine of this Egyptian style cat and even though I've had my own for about 12 years, this is the first time I've actually really learned about its creation.
This book is brilliant and is so detailed, giving real insight into how it was made and the skill involved.
I could happily spend days in The British Museum particularly in the Egyptian section as their art continues to fascinate me and I particularly love the animal based figurines.
The fact that
Corinna Bechko
Dec 24, 2014 Corinna Bechko rated it it was amazing
I wish all museums had publications like this. I recently had the opportunity to see the Cat in person and wanted to know more about it. This book delivers with just enough information to satisfy, delivered with many photos that allow you to see parts of the work (X-rays of the interior, for instance) that you would surely miss by only viewing it in person.
Esther
Esther rated it really liked it
Aug 05, 2015
Gerard
Gerard rated it it was amazing
Jul 24, 2016
Diane
Diane rated it really liked it
Apr 12, 2016
Mandy Nedich
Mandy Nedich rated it it was amazing
Jul 22, 2016
LogPoes
LogPoes rated it it was amazing
Oct 05, 2014
Marijke
Marijke rated it it was amazing
May 26, 2013
Ulfert
Ulfert is currently reading it
Jul 01, 2012
Kayla
Kayla marked it as to-read
May 10, 2014
Atavistic Proclivities
Atavistic Proclivities marked it as to-read
Jul 03, 2014
Jenny
Jenny added it
Nov 21, 2016
Louise
Louise added it
Sep 18, 2015
KatherineMayWilliams
KatherineMayWilliams marked it as to-read
Apr 07, 2015
Darren Mitton
Darren Mitton marked it as to-read
Oct 23, 2015
Melanie
Melanie marked it as to-read
Nov 27, 2015
Linda
Linda marked it as to-read
Feb 16, 2016