Start by marking “The Fighter and the Fallen Woman” as Want to Read:
The Fighter and the Fallen Woman

Read Book

The Fighter and the Fallen Woman

London, 1883

"People like us don't get happy endings."

In twelve years as a bangtail, Lady has never feared a man's kiss. Owned by the ruthless Hannibal Adams, the "Earl of the East End," she's draped in jewels and dead inside. Lady learns fear, however, when she kisses Mr. Adams's best fighter for luck—for King sees the real woman locked away behind finery and falsity.

Ki
Published March 9th 2015 by Carina Press

To ask other readers questions about The Fighter and the Fallen Woman, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Fighter and the Fallen Woman

Katie(babs)
Mar 20, 2015 Katie(babs) rated it really liked it
I’ve been anxious to read more Victorian romances, and The Fighter and the Fallen Woman by Pamela Cayne hits the spot. This is a no holds barred, gritty and raw romance that will engage your emotions. I could practically taste the sweat and blood, as well as the deep pain, Lady endures at the hands of her protector, a monster of a man who treats her like his prized possession but has no qualms abusing her whenever he wants. This isn’t a light and fluffy romance, and has a feel of an epic ...more
Susan (susayq ~)

If you're looking for a light, fluffy romance, look somewhere else. This was dark and dangerous and filled with anger and deceit and double crossings. But in the midst of all that, there was a romance between two people who, at first, felt they didn't deserve love. King, the street fighter, and Lady, the paid mistress, found each other and eventually found their piece of happiness and contentment.

King had me from the beginning of the book. Yes, he was a brawler, owned by a horrible sna
SuperWendy
Mar 10, 2015 SuperWendy rated it really liked it
I really enjoyed this one lot. It's dark, it's gritty, it's Victorian and I foresee most of the complaints about it coming from the fact it's "too dark" or "too depressing." In which case, read the title, read the description and get a clue. This is a romance about a prostitute heroine, mistress to a crime lord and a boxer hero, a hired thug for the same crime lord. My Fair Lady this ain't.

I loved the twists and the turns of the plot. I loved how everybody was working an angle. I loved (LOVED!!!
Marilyn Brant
Mar 09, 2015 Marilyn Brant rated it it was amazing
Pamela Cayne's dark Victorian romance is a hauntingly beautiful debut. Lady's fears and her past are sensitively portrayed, and the author's deft characterization paints her as a woman who is both incredibly sympathetic to readers and, also, strong and admirable. King is powerful, kind and deeply protective of Lady, although he knows he can't publicly show this. These two survivors -- "a rich man's mistress and a rich man's thug" -- bring us a compelling and dangerous love story.

I loved these we
Mandi Schreiner
Mar 10, 2015 Mandi Schreiner rated it liked it
Shelves: historical
Enjoyed the heroine a lot. Good premise.

I wanted the hero to step up more - and be a little more alpha.

Too much page time with the bad guy and I disliked the ending.

Review to come
Jun 25, 2015 Jennifer rated it really liked it
Shelves: fiction, romance, ebook
Had me from page 1 right until the end

Haven't read any Victorian era romances but if they are all this good then I am sold! Loved the characters, especially the heroine, whose mix of sentimentality and savvy is a great combo. I hope I see more by this author!
Carrie (Rotten Banana)
DNF at 50%

Very slow moving and writing tense made it difficult to follow action.
Nicole Luiken
Aug 27, 2015 Nicole Luiken rated it it was amazing
Big points for originality--I love historical romance, but one does get tired of dukes. I loved the character of Lady--her smarts and grit and heart let her survive being the mistress of Mr. Adams, an abusive London underworld kingpin, and King, a boxer with a gentle side, made a great match for her. Though the abuse itself was largely off-screen, the story was very dark and intense. If Lady and King are caught together, they'll both be killed, and there are possible betrayers lurking on every ...more
Hannah G.
Nov 15, 2015 Hannah G. rated it liked it
*3.5

i'm a sucker for broken souls helping each other heal and finding love and i think for the most part this book did a good job in really showing us the connection between the two main characters. i was super invested in lady/king and in them getting their happily ever after because i think the book showed me that they really deserved to have one. where it slightly lost me was the last couple chapter, it just seemed like a lot was going on and having obstacle after obstacle come up was gettin
Avril
Mar 10, 2015 Avril added it
An author I follow on Twitter re tweeted this book. I followed the link, read the blurb, and thought it sounded intriguing enough to buy. A big deal for me because Carina books and I can't fucking deal, not with that DRM mess (I almost exclusively buy my books from All Romance).

Anyhooo...I bought the book via KOBO and read it. Well written for sure. I had many a niggle, mostly cause the sex was...not to my usual nastiness. Which I shouldn't hold against the author, but I do.

3.5 stars.
Jennifer (FFT Reviews)
DNF

I have tried this multiple times since it was given to me for review, but it just isn't interesting me. I was intrigued by the premise yet I can't make myself care about the characters.

I received a free eARC of this book from Carina Press via Netgalley in exchange for an honest review.
Heidi
May 06, 2015 Heidi rated it it was amazing
Pamela Cayne possesses one of the sharpest, wittiest, most creative minds I’ve ever encountered. From thank-you notes to full-length books, nothing she writes should ever be missed!
Jane
Jane rated it liked it
Mar 21, 2015
Betsy
Betsy rated it it was ok
Dec 28, 2015
Megan Frampton
Megan Frampton rated it liked it
Mar 21, 2015
Szilagyi
Szilagyi rated it it was ok
Sep 11, 2016
Claire Venne
Claire Venne rated it liked it
Dec 23, 2015
Pamala
Pamala rated it it was amazing
May 25, 2016
Pk
Pk rated it it was ok
Apr 01, 2015
Sonya Clark
Sonya Clark rated it really liked it
Mar 13, 2015
Deb G.
Deb G. rated it liked it
Jun 19, 2016
nikkia authement
nikkia authement rated it it was ok
Feb 19, 2015
Shanna
Shanna rated it liked it
Aug 07, 2016
Jo
Jo rated it it was ok
Feb 21, 2016
Alaina
Alaina rated it liked it
Apr 10, 2016
Karen
Karen rated it did not like it
Apr 01, 2015
Julie
Julie rated it liked it
Jun 24, 2015
Laura Mccrystal
Laura Mccrystal rated it it was ok
Nov 02, 2016
Anne Renwick
Anne Renwick rated it it was amazing
Apr 06, 2016
Prettymj08
Prettymj08 marked it as to-read
Oct 07, 2014
Rose Oifer
Rose Oifer marked it as to-read
Jan 01, 2015
Megan Erickson
Megan Erickson marked it as to-read
Jan 16, 2015
Jo
Jo added it
Jan 16, 2015
Heather
Heather marked it as to-read
Jan 17, 2015
Sandra
Sandra marked it as to-read
Jan 17, 2015
Lola
Lola marked it as to-read
Jan 19, 2015
Sarah marked it as to-read
Jan 23, 2015
Angie Elle
Angie Elle marked it as to-read
Jun 26, 2016
FV Angela
FV Angela marked it as to-read
Jan 26, 2015
Monika
Monika marked it as to-read
Jan 27, 2015
Jessica
Jessica marked it as to-read
Feb 01, 2015
Elizabeth Harmon
Elizabeth Harmon marked it as to-read
Feb 05, 2015
Danielle Schneider
Danielle Schneider marked it as to-read
Feb 05, 2015
GJ
GJ marked it as to-read
Dec 05, 2015
Heather
Heather marked it as to-read
Feb 22, 2015
Geri
Geri marked it as to-read
Feb 22, 2015
Célestine Beverley
Célestine Beverley marked it as to-read
Feb 25, 2015
Jenny
Jenny marked it as to-read
Mar 03, 2015
Robin Bielman
Robin Bielman marked it as to-read
Mar 07, 2015
Nita
Nita marked it as to-read
Monica
Monica marked it as to-read
RamenGrrl
RamenGrrl marked it as to-read
Danique
Danique marked it as to-read
Mar 11, 2015
Sabrina Bellesbach
Sabrina Bellesbach marked it as to-read
Mar 20, 2015