Start by marking “Le Secret Du Chant Des Baleines” as Want to Read:
Blank 133x176
Le Secret Du Chant Des...

Christopher Moore

Le Secret Du Chant Des Baleines

3.73  ·  Rating Details ·  33,323 Ratings  ·  1,900 Reviews
Nathan Quinn, biologiste marin, travaille sur le chant des baleines à Hawaii. Son équipe est composée de Clay, photographe, Kona, jeune hippie et Amy, étudiante bénévole. Les travaux de Nathan dérangent, son laboratoire est fouillé et un de ses bateaux est coulé...
414 pages
Published 2006 by Gallimard (first published June 3rd 2003)

To ask other readers questions about Le Secret Du Chant Des Baleines, please sign up.

Monica Christopher Moore is a fan of sexual innuendo in a way that some people may not be comfortable with for their kids to read. For example, the whaley…moreChristopher Moore is a fan of sexual innuendo in a way that some people may not be comfortable with for their kids to read. For example, the whaley boys have retractable and prehensile 'members' that they like to wave around. And there is a fairly graphic scene involving 2 biologist researchers and 2 male whales mistaking their zodiac for a female whale. However, it is ultimately up to you as the parent to determine how much your daughter can handle. Personally, I probably wouldn't have found this funny at 11, but at 15 I probably would have. (less)

Florence (Lefty) MacIntosh
Jun 17, 2014 Florence (Lefty) MacIntosh rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Wouldn't...
Recommended to Florence (Lefty) by: Can't blame anybody - hooked by the title
Bite me?! I’m disappointed. Crazy for whales, a Moore fan and the main character’s from where I live, seemed like a no brainer. Well, not this time - I like funny crude, this is more the kind you catch 12 year olds snickering over. A third in I gave up, not due to any maiden aunt sensibilities - it was just…lame. Click spoiler for a taste if you’re undecided, this was my 'enough' point... (view spoiler) ...more
Marvin
Sep 14, 2011 Marvin rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: humor
After completing Fluke, I started to envision this fantasy scenario on how the novel came to be...

Book Publisher: Thank you for coming in today, Mr. Moore. I wanted to discuss the manuscript you sent us.

Christopher Moore: Yes, of course. The Song Cycles and Migratory Habits of Whales. Did you like it?

BP: Well, liking it isn't really the point. It's about whales.

CM: And?

BP. No. I mean...It's really about whales. It's non fiction. Unfunny non-fiction.

CM: But that's my point! Everybody expects me t
Lyn
Jul 03, 2012 Lyn rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I have yet to read a book by Christopher Moore that I did not like, that failed to entertain and enlighten and to simply be a very enjoyable good read.

Fluke is no exception.

This is the story of a couple of marine biologists who have spent decades studying humpback whales and who really just want to know why they sing. From here we get taken on another Christopher Moore ride that is as hilarious and mind bending as the last.

Is he the American Neil Gaiman? I like them both and can see the simil
Amanda
Soooo, it took me about 43 years to read this book. And upon thinking for a while and discissing it with Christina for a while I've come to the conclusion that my opinion is based on a two-fold rubric. (Can rubrics have folds?)

Anyway...

Point 1. Character Development.
The character development in this book sucked balls. And not in the good way, either.

Point 2. Plot.
The plot was fuckin' awesome. Except for the fact that it didn't start until a third of the way into the book. But whatev. It's stil
Yael
Feb 08, 2009 Yael rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
So far, I haven't met a book by Christopher Moore that I've disliked. Or even merely had a lukewarm feeling for. Fluke is no exception. I mean, how can you not like a writer who produces such lines as "A centipede the size of a Pontiac had once lived in the bottom-right corner of the trunk but had long since moved on once he realized that no one was ever going to bother him, so he could stand up on his hind hundred feet, hiss like a pissed cat, and deliver a deadly bite to a naked foot"?

Moore wr
Omar
Jan 03, 2009 Omar rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: audio-book, adult
I love Christopher Moore.. this is my fifth book of his, but this one fell short for me. The story is of a scientist who studies whales and their songs. He has worked many many years in the field and when he sees the words "BITE ME" on the tail of one of his whales he is determined to find out how it is even possible. Things are further complicated when the town crazy informs him that the whale he saw called her and asked her to tell him to come visit the whale and bring a pastrami on rye sandwi ...more
Mikah
Jan 02, 2009 Mikah rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is the first book I have read by Christopher Moore, and I was really surprised at how much I enjoyed it. It is about Nate Quinn, a biologist who is studying humpback whales trying to figure out the meaning of their song. Odd things start to happen, though, like finding a whale with ‘Bite Me’ painted on its tale and somebody breaking in and trashing his lab. While trying to figure out who would want to sabotage his research he starts to question how much anybody could even care about the wor ...more
DJ Harris
Mar 27, 2013 DJ Harris rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Anyone with a sense of humor!

Christopher Moore does it again! Fluke: Or, I Know Why the Winged Whale Sings by Christopher Moore is a very enjoyable read! I have enjoyed every Christopher Moore book that I've read. I HIGHLY RECOMMEND this book.

Fluke: Or, I Know Why the Winged Whale Sings by Christopher Moore
Mauoijenn ~ *Mouthy Jenn* ~
Good book.
Some laugh or loud moments.
Not one of his best though.
Kogiopsis
Sep 12, 2016 Kogiopsis rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: reviewed
I’ve been putting off reading Fluke. It was recommended to me by one of my uncles, who meant well but whose method of recommendation was to spoil almost every major plot point - and who then sent me a copy as a high school graduation gift. Knowing a little something about Christopher Moore’s brand of humor, I didn’t make it a priority, the end result of which is that more than five years went by between when he sent it to me and when I finally opened it. And… while I regret putting it off for th ...more
Preeti
Mar 09, 2009 Preeti rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Anyone who wants a laugh and who likes whales
Why do humpback whales sing?

This is the basic theme behind the story contained in this book. I picked it up because whales are one of my favorite animals, and I have always loved listening to their singing. Also, I hadn't read a funny book in a while, and needed a break from the 'serious' stuff.

I have to say it: It's a whale of a tale!

The book starts out fairly normal, but then, takes a turn into the land of the zany. Really. You will have no idea what hit you. And that, truly, is the best part.
Andrea Gatti
Oct 12, 2016 Andrea Gatti rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Avendo letto quasi tutti i suoi libri, di Christopher Moore ormai ho due scaffali distinti:
Lo scaffale wow e lo scaffale poteva-essere-wow.

Questo libro lo colloco nello scaffale...

*rullo di tamburi*

Wow!

Un'idea balzana, come sempre, ma cotta a puntino.
Non so perché, ma stavo lasciando questo libro per ultimo (penultimo, alla fine, mi manca ancora The Lust Lizard of Melancholy Cove), m'ispirava non troppissimo, e per giunta avevo visto per sbaglio la copertina della versione inglese, dove rapprese
Jenniet Galvan
I like reading books by Christopher Moore because they make me laugh out loud! And I like to laugh out loud. I also like them because they are generally pretty irreverent and I like irreverent. For a short time I thought I was going to be a scientist and majored in Biology so the whole science angle was appealing to me and who doesn't like whales? Not to mention I have an irrepressible fascination with anything to do with the sea, making this book an automatic winner unless I was just bored out ...more
Stephanie
   I would divide this book into two parts: the first mostly believable, more scientific part which takes place in Hawaii, and the second being overly fluid with strange half-baked notions of bioscience meets magic which takes place largely underwater.

Not sure exactly what I expected of it, but it wasn’t this. This is the first book I’ve read of Christopher Moore – oh wait, no, he also wrote The Stupidest Angel: A Heartwarming Tale of Christmas Terror, which I didn’t like much. This one wasn
Heatherarleney
The story starts with marine biologist Nate Quinn studying humpback whales when, all of a sudden, he sees one with "Bite me" written across its tail, which jump starts a whole series of increasingly odd events until things take a turn for the science fictional.

It's this turn that seems to bother people in other reviews I've read, but I thought it was intriguing, and Moore deserves credit for describing these otherworldly elements as quickly and effectively as he does. Worldbuilding can easily we
Libby
"Nate wouldn’t have been more surprised if he’d walked in on a team of squirrels building a toaster oven." - a quote worth repeating.

I’m giving this one 5 stars because it was simply a delightful read from beginning to end. Christopher Moore tackles the scientific mystery of whale song in his own unique way. This book is wildly creative and funny while being surprisingly well researched. It appears that Mr. Moore spent a fair amount of time with biologists and whale researchers in Hawaii prepari
Steve
Oct 30, 2007 Steve rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
5 Ooks

Do you like mysteries?
Do you like to laugh?
Have you ever wondered why whales sing?
Did you ever wish you lived in Hawaii?
Did you ever wish you could see one of those white-boy poser Rastafarians get a bit of a stomping?...Hey now, don't be a hater...

Moore evokes beach people and the islands in this fun and fast moving tale. It's filled with his usual wit and wacky, but lovable characters, and leavened with a bit of a message (but, not preachy).

This is a book that will draw you in and leave
Audrey
A ROMP. A ridiculous wild scientifically plausible romp of a book that made me laugh so hard my partner came to check on me. Repeatedly.

There's some suspension of disbelief necessary, but it's the good and fun kind. And while the pace takes a little nap between pages 200-300, it picks back up again in a heartfelt Carol-Channing-dressed-like-a-sea-lion kind of way. And could you turn your back on such a sight? No you could not.
Chris
I'm not sure if I should give this book two or three stars. The characters were a little flat, the tone could get a little preachy, and I'm left thinking the book isn't quite as clever as the author thinks it is. I did finish it however, and I didn't want to stop reading it in the sense of a did not finish book. I also enjoyed the whole conversation about memes and genes. At the very least, the book has made me want to try another Moore book at some point.
Jamie Collins
Oct 27, 2008 Jamie Collins rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: humor
This was a fun read. Wacky fiction isn't my usual thing, but I enjoyed Moore's sense of humor and his writing style, and I'll look for more of his books.
Melanie Page
Jul 25, 2016 Melanie Page rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is my 4th Moore book -- I've read Lamb, Fool, and The Serpent of Venice -- so I'm used to the snarky humor and little quips that enters via the narrator. In Fluke, I especially like when the narrator tells us something doofy a characters is thinking, and then the character says it aloud. That tickled me every time; apparently it's a humor button somewhere in my brain that loves to be pushed.

Right off the bat, there are a lot of characters, and it's not always clear who they are or what they
Megan
Fluke: Or, I Know Why the Winged Wale Sings was pretty good. Eventually. Once I got into it.

Christopher Moore is hard to review. He strikes me as more of a comedian than an author. As such, if he keeps me entertained and makes me laugh out loud, I consider his book to be a success. Fluke is a typical Christopher Moore story in that it involves a group of wacky people working together in a preposterous situation. The whale and conservation info presented here was cool. And chapter eighteen wins
Booksthailand
May 21, 2010 Booksthailand rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Christopher Moore writes funny books. His recent titles have been likened to the novels of Terry Pratchett but perhaps better comparisons can be drawn with Carl Hiassen and Douglas Adams. His novels have dealt with demons, Jesus’ best pal, bloodsucking fiends, death and sequined love nuns amongst other improbable subject matter. Clearly this is an author in no danger of taking himself too seriously.

Fluke is all about Whales, kind of. It is also about half-whale half-human beasts, strange underse
Megan
Jun 01, 2016 Megan rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2016
This is the second Christopher Moore book I've read, but it was certainly enough to get a handle on his typical plot line: Random guy gets involved in a strange situation he can't understand that relates to some type of odd deity, he falls for a very attractive girl who is involved in the weirdness, after very silly plot twists the couple find a way to "ride off into the sunset" together. While this type of explanation would usually put me off reading more of his books, his writing is done so we ...more
Myndi
Nov 01, 2015 Myndi rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I stayed confused for the majority, if not the entirety of this book. That's not to say that I wasn't entertained. The very ideas brought forth in this book were intriguing all the while perplexing. I found myself wanting to read more, not necessarily with an urgency, but at least with a persistent curiosity as to what the heck was going on. This book was chosen for my Book Club to read because it's listed as comedy. I didn't find the book to be overtly funny though. There were a couple of very ...more
Lorelei
Sep 07, 2007 Lorelei rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: sf
Whale research gone weird. I have read or listened to this book so many times I can't count them, and I still find it an entertaining and delightful read. I honestly don't know why this book never palls as so many other favourites have over the years, maybe someone can come up with a good theory. In any event, I was having a bad patch and decided to go through it all the way and in order again, and it was another wonderful ride. I've no idea if anyone else would likes it as much as I do, but I w ...more
Eric
Apr 19, 2012 Eric rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Fans of Christopher Moore
About a third of the way through Fluke, I was sure I knew what was going on (view spoiler). Wow, was I wrong. Very, very wrong. I did not see where this was going at all -- but man did I love the ride, and the cast of characters I took it with. An excellent blend of humor, science, environmentalism, science fiction, and adventure.
Niknik
Jun 08, 2012 Niknik rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Anyone
Recommended to Niknik by: Co-worker
Shelves: humorous
Of the Christopher Moore books I have recently read (& am reading), I thought "Fluke" was the most ingenious!
I was expecting more of the same kind of supernatural stuff like "Bite Me" and "A Dirty Job", but was pleasantly surprised!
It was fun enough to read about whales and Hawaii and studying whale songs - but the journey on this story was something I have never heard of before.
And very funny too!
Scott Rhee
Jul 22, 2012 Scott Rhee rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Discover the secret of humpback whales and why they sing in another hilarious, crazy, fantastic novel by Christopher Moore.
Antón
Libro divertido y delirante. Buena opción para adentrarse en el mundo de Christopher Moore, supongo. Es el primero que leo de él, pero tengo ganas de leer más sus libros.
Play Book Tag: Fluke - Christopher Moore (4 stars) 4 14 Nov 21, 2016 04:38PM
Madison Mega-Mara...: Number 15 1 3 Mar 12, 2012 05:53AM
  • Santa and Pete: A Novel of Christmas Present and Past
  • Hurricane Punch (Serge Storms, #9)
  • Monster
  • Pest Control
  • Big Trouble
  • Tourist Season
  • Night of the Avenging Blowfish: A Novel of Covert Operations, Love, and Luncheon Meat
  • The Toyminator
  • Things My Girlfriend and I Have Argued About
  • Foop!

Christopher Moore is an American writer of absurdist fiction. He grew up in Mansfield, OH, and attended Ohio State University and Brooks Institute of Photography in Santa Barbara, CA.

Moore's novels typically involve conflicted everyman characters suddenly struggling through supernatural or extraordinary circums
More about Christopher Moore...

“There's some heinous fuckery goin' on mon.” 401 likes