Start by marking “Inside the Postal Bus: My Ride with Lance Armstrong and the U.S. Postal Cycling Team” as Want to Read:

During the professional cycling season, the members of the United States Postal Team live, train, and work together for weeks on end while traveling to competitions throughout Europe. With wit and singular insight, Michael Barry, a professional cyclist and member of the United States Postal Team, shares his first-hand knowledge of the sport and of his fellow cyclists, desc
Published August 1st 2005 by VeloPress (first published June 10th 2005)

To ask other readers questions about Inside the Postal Bus, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Inside the Postal Bus

JDK1962
Mar 08, 2015 JDK1962 rated it it was ok
Despite the title, this is actually a recounting of the 2004 season of the Postal team, by one of the domestique riders. While an interesting glimpse into the life of a European cycling pro (certainly not a life I'll ever experience), there are a couple of issues, a few of which could have been addressed by better editing.

First, since this was a chronology of the 2004 season, a more date-oriented or diary format would have worked better, and some maps might not have gone astray (since geography
Ben Hughes
Jul 03, 2007 Ben Hughes rated it did not like it
Michael Barry is really not a good writer. The book promises to be a behind the scenes account of what goes on in the professional ranks of cycling, but it hardly offers much. A few funny stories, that's it. There is not much here.
Jay
Jun 22, 2017 Jay rated it it was ok
If you think you’d like to read the transcripts of the announcers from the Tour de France, then you may find this book right up your alley. Barry covers the 2004 season, including many of his own races. But the bulk of this book is about the Tour, and Barry is watching it on TV like the rest of us. Barry is providing background through much of the book. The book counters the first person absence with a couple of pages written by others that were in the peleton, but this comes across as clunky. I ...more
Jtomassetti
Jan 13, 2016 Jtomassetti rated it liked it
Shelves: bicycling
LANCE ARMSTRONG TOUR DE FORCE by Daniel Coyne and INSIDE THE POSTAL BUS by Michael Berry both cover the 2004 US Postal Team cycling season. It was the season Lance Armstrong won his 6th Tour De France and when he was dating Sheryl Crow. Daniel Coyne is a professional writer who was given inside access to Lance Armstrong and the team during the 2004 season. Michael Berry is a professional cyclist who rode for US Postal for several seasons.

Daniel Coyne’s about Lance Armstrong book goes deep into
Michael
Aug 04, 2009 Michael rated it it was ok
Shelves: cycling
No one who isn't quite interested in professional cycle racing would want to read this - and the rather pollyanna description of the US Postal Team's 2004 season is only mildly interesting as described here in any event. For all intents and purposes this is an authorized description of the team's season - nothing even vaguely controversial is said about anything or anyone.

Barry didn't ride in the Tour de France that season (or any other, I guess) so there are no special insights to that. Barry'
Ross
Apr 03, 2009 Ross rated it it was ok
I enjoyed this book because I enjoy reading about cycling and cycling races. I was disappointed to discover that the writer who was supposed to give us the scoop on what it was like to be with Lance Armstrong "inside the postal bus" was not one of the riders selected to ride in the Tour de France, instead he watched it on television like the rest of us. I also decided that journalists who are cycling fans write much better books than cyclists who try to be writers. Michael Berry is a cyclist try ...more
Kelly Bolin
Aug 18, 2009 Kelly Bolin rated it liked it
The writing style was a little choppy, and the part of the book about the actual Tour felt very rushed and "thin", but this may be in part due to the fact that the author was not one of the riders on the team chosen to ride in the Tour. That being said, it was an absolutely fascinating look into the world of professional cycling, primarily in Europe, with the different types of races and how much time the entire season covers. I would recommend for anyone interested in delving more into professi ...more
CJ
Nov 01, 2008 CJ rated it liked it
Shelves: 2008-books
I'm a total Postal fan. I loved watching them race - especially in the Tour de France. I wanted to really love this book, but I didn't. It was an interesting look into the inner workings of the team. However, Barry moved back and forth through time and never seemed to finish the story he was trying to tell. I kept having to go back paragraphs (or even pages sometimes) to figure out what he was talking about. It was an interesting read, but not for someone who doesn't already know some of the his ...more
Garrett Burnett
Aug 12, 2011 Garrett Burnett rated it liked it
Shelves: sports
Barry is a good writer and gives a nice profile of life as a professional cyclist. While the book is interesting and enjoyable, Barry seems as though he doesn't want to burn any bridges or dwell on anything too negative--understandable since he presumably wants to stay employed as a cyclist. It's just too bad he doesn't have the freedom to provide a more incisive look. Very good, but safe.
Rich
Sep 01, 2014 Rich rated it it was amazing
a great book giving inside into the world of a cyclist. I loved it, but since find a bitter taste after Armstrong finally told the truth. Had my copy signed by Victor hugo Pena, a team mate of Michael's.

A great writer caught up in a not so great world of subterfuge. I look forward to reading more by Mr Barry
Phill Lloyd
Feb 10, 2013 Phill Lloyd rated it liked it
After what has come out in the media over the last few months its hard to give this any more than a 3 star. However I thought Michael Barry was an informative writer if an unlucky rider. I gained a good insight into the tour, US Postal and Lance. It would probably be a book aimed for a younger audience.
Edudardo L
Feb 25, 2010 Edudardo L rated it liked it
The book itself was a collection of varied stories during the course of the season. However the author does tend to jump from story to story and some of the points are lost along the way. I'm a huge cycling fan and therefore I picked up the book trying to get an inside look into a Pro team, but didn't quite achieve that level of entertainment. Good book, just not great.
Charles
Apr 15, 2008 Charles rated it liked it
Fun read. A look onto the Postal bus back in the day. Unfortunatley this took place in a time period where msot of the characters in the book were dopers. Since the writing realies on so much reader invest in the characters it can take away from the book.
Robin
Just didn't keep my interest enough to finish it...but I was very close to the end.
Peggy Lo
Jul 19, 2009 Peggy Lo rated it liked it
Shelves: non-fiction, memoir, sport
Fun behind the scenes look at what it's like to be a professional cyclist. Even though he wasn't on the tour team, he still tells fun stories and gives great insights about the tour.
Jack
Aug 23, 2011 Jack rated it it was ok
Shelves: cycling
Below average writing skills, redundant information.
Jeremiah Woods
Nice work of fiction.
Chris
Jun 11, 2008 Chris rated it really liked it
Granted, it's not great writing, but it does provide a interesting look inside the life of a professional cyclist.
Patrick Ackley
I light read and interesting view into the US Postal Team bus during the 2004 season.
Ryan Patrick
Mar 22, 2009 Ryan Patrick rated it it was ok
Chad
Mar 07, 2007 Chad rated it really liked it
Shelves: cycling
Great book about the workings inside a pro bike team.
Eric
Jan 23, 2008 Eric rated it liked it
Shelves: biographies
a cool look at the cycling life behind the scense..On the team bus...
Ryan
Aug 12, 2008 Ryan rated it it was ok
It's sort of like an extended "what did you do for summer" essay written in junior high. Quick read, but doesn't approach the classic books on cycling.
Jeff
Apr 06, 2009 Jeff rated it liked it
Shelves: non-fiction
Not the best bike book ever written, nevertheless, this is a frank and often funny, insider's take on life as a professional bike racer.
John Sutter
Sep 20, 2013 John Sutter rated it did not like it
Fiction!
Lisa
Aug 05, 2011 Lisa rated it did not like it
This book is TERRIBLE
Roxanne
Roxanne rated it really liked it
Jan 15, 2016
Koblet
Koblet rated it it was ok
Jan 08, 2016
Dave
Dave rated it liked it
Mar 24, 2015
Doug Mitchell
Doug Mitchell rated it it was ok
Nov 08, 2016
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »
  • 23 Days in July: Inside the Tour de France and Lance Armstrong's Record-Breaking Victory
  • Boy Racer: My Journey to Tour de France Record-Breaker
  • Positively False: The Real Story of How I Won the Tour de France
  • Roadie: The Misunderstood World of a Bike Racer
  • From Lance to Landis: Inside the American Doping Controversy at the Tour de France
  • Tour de Lance: The Extraordinary Story of Lance Armstrong's Fight to Reclaim the Tour de France
  • Bobke II
  • The Cyclist's Training Bible
  • Zinn and the Art of Road Bike Maintenance
  • 78 Reasons Why Your Book May Never Be Published and 14 Reasons Why It Just Might
  • The Death of Marco Pantani: A Biography
  • Masters of Dragonlance Art
  • Every Second Counts
  • Training and Racing with a Power Meter
  • The Arm Of The Stone (The Stone Duology, #1)
  • Feed Zone Portables: A Cookbook of On-the-Go Food for Athletes
  • French Revolutions: Cycling the Tour de France
  • Chasing Lance: The 2005 Tour de France and Lance Armstrong's Ride of a Lifetime
***THIS IS A MULTI-AUTHOR LISTING***

- Michael Bukht: (1941–2011), British radio executive who (as a chef and television personality) used the pseudonym Michael Barry.

- Michael Barry: (born 1975), Canadian professional racing cyclist.
More about Michael Barry...