Start by marking “Inside the Postal Bus: My Ride with Lance Armstrong and the U.S. Postal Cycling Team” as Want to Read:

3.08 of 5 stars 3.08  ·  rating details  ·  130 ratings  ·  24 reviews
During the professional cycling season, the members of the United States Postal Team live, train, and work together for weeks on end while traveling to competitions throughout Europe. With wit and singular insight, Michael Barry, a professional cyclist and member of the United States Postal Team, shares his first-hand knowledge of the sport and of his fellow cyclists, desc
Published August 1st 2005 by VeloPress (first published June 10th 2005)

To ask other readers questions about Inside the Postal Bus, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Inside the Postal Bus

Despite the title, this is actually a recounting of the 2004 season of the Postal team, by one of the domestique riders. While an interesting glimpse into the life of a European cycling pro (certainly not a life I'll ever experience), there are a couple of issues, a few of which could have been addressed by better editing.

First, since this was a chronology of the 2004 season, a more date-oriented or diary format would have worked better, and some maps might not have gone astray (since geography
Ben Hughes
Michael Barry is really not a good writer. The book promises to be a behind the scenes account of what goes on in the professional ranks of cycling, but it hardly offers much. A few funny stories, that's it. There is not much here.
No one who isn't quite interested in professional cycle racing would want to read this - and the rather pollyanna description of the US Postal Team's 2004 season is only mildly interesting as described here in any event. For all intents and purposes this is an authorized description of the team's season - nothing even vaguely controversial is said about anything or anyone.

Barry didn't ride in the Tour de France that season (or any other, I guess) so there are no special insights to that. Barry'
a great book giving inside into the world of a cyclist. I loved it, but since find a bitter taste after Armstrong finally told the truth. Had my copy signed by Victor hugo Pena, a team mate of Michael's.

A great writer caught up in a not so great world of subterfuge. I look forward to reading more by Mr Barry
I enjoyed this book because I enjoy reading about cycling and cycling races. I was disappointed to discover that the writer who was supposed to give us the scoop on what it was like to be with Lance Armstrong "inside the postal bus" was not one of the riders selected to ride in the Tour de France, instead he watched it on television like the rest of us. I also decided that journalists who are cycling fans write much better books than cyclists who try to be writers. Michael Berry is a cyclist try ...more
I'm a total Postal fan. I loved watching them race - especially in the Tour de France. I wanted to really love this book, but I didn't. It was an interesting look into the inner workings of the team. However, Barry moved back and forth through time and never seemed to finish the story he was trying to tell. I kept having to go back paragraphs (or even pages sometimes) to figure out what he was talking about. It was an interesting read, but not for someone who doesn't already know some of the his ...more
Kelly Bolin
The writing style was a little choppy, and the part of the book about the actual Tour felt very rushed and "thin", but this may be in part due to the fact that the author was not one of the riders on the team chosen to ride in the Tour. That being said, it was an absolutely fascinating look into the world of professional cycling, primarily in Europe, with the different types of races and how much time the entire season covers. I would recommend for anyone interested in delving more into professi ...more
Garrett Burnett
Barry is a good writer and gives a nice profile of life as a professional cyclist. While the book is interesting and enjoyable, Barry seems as though he doesn't want to burn any bridges or dwell on anything too negative--understandable since he presumably wants to stay employed as a cyclist. It's just too bad he doesn't have the freedom to provide a more incisive look. Very good, but safe.
Edudardo L
The book itself was a collection of varied stories during the course of the season. However the author does tend to jump from story to story and some of the points are lost along the way. I'm a huge cycling fan and therefore I picked up the book trying to get an inside look into a Pro team, but didn't quite achieve that level of entertainment. Good book, just not great.
Phill Lloyd
After what has come out in the media over the last few months its hard to give this any more than a 3 star. However I thought Michael Barry was an informative writer if an unlucky rider. I gained a good insight into the tour, US Postal and Lance. It would probably be a book aimed for a younger audience.
Fun read. A look onto the Postal bus back in the day. Unfortunatley this took place in a time period where msot of the characters in the book were dopers. Since the writing realies on so much reader invest in the characters it can take away from the book.
Peggy Lo
Fun behind the scenes look at what it's like to be a professional cyclist. Even though he wasn't on the tour team, he still tells fun stories and gives great insights about the tour.
It's sort of like an extended "what did you do for summer" essay written in junior high. Quick read, but doesn't approach the classic books on cycling.
Not the best bike book ever written, nevertheless, this is a frank and often funny, insider's take on life as a professional bike racer.
Granted, it's not great writing, but it does provide a interesting look inside the life of a professional cyclist.
Patrick Ackley
I light read and interesting view into the US Postal Team bus during the 2004 season.
Just didn't keep my interest enough to finish it...but I was very close to the end.
a cool look at the cycling life behind the scense..On the team bus...
Below average writing skills, redundant information.
Interesting and candid look at life as a pro bike racer.
Great book about the workings inside a pro bike team.
Jeremiah Woods
Nice work of fiction.
This book is TERRIBLE
Alege marked it as to-read
Oct 02, 2015
Wendy marked it as to-read
Jul 21, 2015
Fred T
Fred T marked it as to-read
Jul 19, 2015
Simon Wilkins
Simon Wilkins marked it as to-read
Jul 07, 2015
Pete Williams
Pete Williams marked it as to-read
Jun 19, 2015
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 next »

- Michael Bukht: (1941–2011), British radio executive who (as a chef and television personality) used the pseudonym Michael Barry.

- Michael Barry: (born 1975), Canadian professional racing cyclist.
More about Michael Barry...
Shadows on the Road: Life at the Heart of the Peloton, from US Postal to Team Sky The Forgiveness Project: The Startling Discovery of How to Overcome Cancer, Find Health, and Achieve Peace Le Metier: The Seasons Of A Professional Cyclist Elsewhere: An Anthology of Incredible Places American Real