Starman, Vol. 4: Times Past

Starman, Vol. 4: Times Past (Starman II #4)

4.24 of 5 stars 4.24  ·  rating details  ·  219 ratings  ·  9 reviews
Tales of four Starmen -- Ted Knight, Jack Knight and two alien Starmen -- are retold in this compelling collection. Features the Justice Society of America, the origins of both the 1940s and modern Starmen, and a tale of the mysterious, centuries-old super-villain the Shade.
Published February 22nd 1999 by DC Comics (first published 1999)

Armand
this review contains spoilers!
Another blast in the Starman series. This one focuses on stories of the "Starmen" of the past, including Jack Knight's father (Ted), Michael Thomas, and a few others including one alien Starman who never even got to Earth.

Highlights (and great moments) include: A duel to the death at a disco; Jack's dad kicking ass in the 1930's; The Shade being scary as hell; a cameo appearance by Oscar Wilde; a real life witch with a gun; and (finally) The Shade being very chee...more
A friend of mine is trying to get me back into comic books (and let's be honest, this isn't a graphic novel, it's a thick, expensive comic book). I fell out of love with comic book reading when I was in middle school when comic books started getting all dark and angst-ridden. I stuck for a while to Archie comics but... well, I grew up to big girl books with chapters.

I'd never heard of Starman (other than the movie). He wasn't invented until I was already done with comics.

The art in this book is...more
Travis
Nice collection of short stories featuring past Starmen and the villain turned occasional hero and all around cool character, the Shade.

Really enjoyed the stories and how Robinson creates a believable fictional city in Opal and gives us bits and pieces of the history of the city and the various Starmen that have acted as its protecter.
Plus, the Shade has become one of my favorite characters.

While I love most of the bigger Starman stories, there's more a sense of fun to these shorter pieces.

This would have been four stars -- I adored almost all of the stories, particularly the disco color burst of Mikaal's tale and the Oscar Wilde story -- but the last story left me cold with some bothersome gender tropes and use of fantasy witchcraft. Still, I love these stories overall, and I'm almost sad to encounter them all now, instead of sprinkled throughout the series as they were meant to be.
Dan
I understand the reasoning of collecting these stories under one volume, but it does almost make me want to pickup the recent hardcover collections so I can read the series in actual order, with these tales of past adventures sprinkled throughout, instead of being read back-to-back.
Alan
A collection of one shot issues where creators James Robinson and Tony Harris use the past to illuminate more about the history of Opal City (as much a character in the series as any person) and some of the series supporting characters.
Lauren
some parts of it were really good, some parts of it weren't so great. Depends on which story you were reading of this volume. All the parts with The Shade were great.
Mark
Very disjointed collection of "in-between" stories... those one-off stories that run between major arcs in the Starman comic.
Ryan
A good bit less compelling than the first trades. Looking forward to getting back to Jack and his story.
Sagi R
Sagi R marked it as to-read
Jul 05, 2014
Tony Mascolo
Tony Mascolo marked it as to-read
Jun 28, 2014
Gemma
Gemma added it
Jul 20, 2014
Billy Candelaria
Billy Candelaria marked it as to-read
May 22, 2014
Steven Stadnicki
Steven Stadnicki marked it as to-read
Mar 12, 2014
Ranson Smitherman
Ranson Smitherman marked it as to-read
Feb 13, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 next »
James Robinson is a British writer, best known for his work in comic books and screenplays. He is well-known for his encyclopedic knowledge of comic book continuity, especially regarding the Golden Age of comic books. His earliest comic book work came in the late 1980s, but he became best known for his revitalization of the character Starman for DC comics in the 1990s. In addition, he has written...more
More about James Robinson...
Batman: Face the Face The Starman Omnibus, Vol. 1 The Starman Omnibus, Vol. 2 JSA: The Golden Age (Justice Society of America) Starman, Vol. 1: Sins of the Father