Start by marking “Starman, Vol. 9: Grand Guignol” as Want to Read:
Starman, Vol. 9: Grand Guignol

Starman, Vol. 9: Grand Guignol (Starman II #9)

4.44 of 5 stars 4.44  ·  rating details  ·  205 ratings  ·  9 reviews
Jack Knight returns to Opal City from his adventure in space, only to find the Shade has reverted to his villainous ways. Knight suspects that he is even committing murders, all this while many of Jack's friends seem to be missing. Before he can fully investigate, he witnesses his most horrible nightmare become reality--his beloved Opal City burning to the ground. Chaos en ...more
Published October 1st 2004 by DC Comics

To ask other readers questions about Starman, Vol. 9, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Starman, Vol. 9

***Dave Hill
This is the aptly-titled climax of the series, as the elaborate plans of the Shade (or are they?) come to fruition, and everyone gets into the act fighting for or against him. Folks die on both sides, and the action hurtles forward even with repeated and frequent digression issues on one or another cast member's past, or the past of the Opal itself.

This is epic comic writing in a class of its own, with more backstory and foreshadowing than you can shake a cosmic rod at. Though it's way late in
Corey Pung
I just finished reading Starman: Grand Guignol for the first time a few days ago, and I have to say, this is one of the most enjoyable and rewarding graphic novels I’ve ever read. I enjoyed it just as much, if not more than, Watchmen and Batman: The Long Halloween.

Starman: Grand Guignol is the twelve issue climax to the entire Starman series (it’s followed by a falling action graphic novel called Sons of the Father). It gives Jack Knight the biggest challenge of his superhero career (of course,
Dan
The incredible dovetailing of everything James Robinson has set-up since issue one really all comes together in this trade. Every character, supporting and otherwise, has a nice moment in here. For my money, it's all about the last two chapters, issues #72 and #73. I still get as choked up reading them now as I did the first time around.
Alan
Korynn
This is it readers! The massive blowout battle sequence that spans continuities and changes characters forever. Every great superhero epic has one and this one does disappoint with its minutae of plot and nasty villains galore. So here it is: destruction! death! battle against great odds! treachery! rescue! hope! rebirth! and a century spanning evil dwarf!! You will cry and you will enjoy the Shade's witty repartee. Warning: There is French with no translation. Those of you who hate that...I fee ...more
Ben Krutko
Excellent artwork and writing. A wonderful conclusion to a series of stories that feels a bit cramped in such a small volume. It is nice to see the characters in this paperback get the attention that they do, given that DC currently ignores most of them.
Josh
Dec 07, 2007 Josh rated it 3 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: those who have read the previous 8 chapters
Shelves: comics
Tried to cram too much into a lngthy 13-issue story arc. It's not a super-bad thing, but the writing suffers, and this is a comic I've been enjoying greatly. Has some rad moments, but it just proves 80 issues wasn't enough.
BMK
So good. Am reminded of why I began collecting Starman when I was younger.
Aaron
Aaron is currently reading it
Dec 23, 2014
Kevin
Kevin is currently reading it
Dec 17, 2014
Jake
Jake marked it as to-read
Dec 14, 2014
Danny
Danny marked it as to-read
Aug 25, 2014
Gemma
Gemma marked it as to-read
Aug 07, 2014
Melissa
Melissa marked it as to-read
Jul 31, 2014
Luke
Luke added it
Jul 12, 2014
Sagi R
Sagi R marked it as to-read
Jul 05, 2014
Tony Mascolo
Tony Mascolo marked it as to-read
Jun 28, 2014
  • Blue Beetle, Vol. 3: Reach for the Stars
  • The Losers, Vol. 2: Double Down
  • Blue Beetle, Vol. 2: Road Trip
  • The Flash, Vol. 2: Blood Will Run
  • Green Arrow: The Longbow Hunters
  • The Question, Vol. 1: Zen and Violence
  • Ex Machina, Vol. 6: Power Down (Ex Machina, #6)
  • JLA, Vol. 4: Strength in Numbers
  • Astro City, Vol. 3: Family Album
  • Gotham Central, Vol. 4: The Quick and the Dead
  • Manhunter, Vol. 2: Trial by Fire
James Robinson is a British writer, best known for his work in comic books and screenplays. He is well-known for his encyclopedic knowledge of comic book continuity, especially regarding the Golden Age of comic books. His earliest comic book work came in the late 1980s, but he became best known for his revitalization of the character Starman for DC comics in the 1990s. In addition, he has written ...more
More about James Robinson...
Batman: Face the Face The Starman Omnibus, Vol. 1 The Starman Omnibus, Vol. 2 Earth 2, Vol. 1: The Gathering JSA: The Golden Age (Justice Society of America)