Flying Scotsman: Cycling to Triumph Through My Darkest Hours

Flying Scotsman: Cycling to Triumph Through My Darkest Hours

4.04 of 5 stars 4.04  ·  rating details  ·  138 ratings  ·  20 reviews
Little-known Graeme Obree became international cycling's most unlikely star, capturing the public's imagination with his innovative engineering and design skills and unique training regiments. When he broke world records and won championships, the cycling authorities outlawed both his bike and his tucked riding position. He invented the ""Superman"" riding style and triump...more
Published September 28th 2005 by VeloPress (first published January 2003)

Martin Linkov
Amazing and inspiring, yet depressing at moments book. Graeme suffers from the "Ithaca" syndrome - no matter how good he gets in the sport it is never enough, the hour-record, the world champion titles - all of these achievements quickly fade away and he easily gets depressed. This autobigraphy describes it all in a fascinating way!
Richard Graveling
A brilliant alternative to the all-to-common more recent cycling biographies. Probably this is the case as Obree never had anything to do with any established structures (except when the UCI outlawed anything he did as he was too fast for the 'stablishment').

His ingenious design and ability to think outside the box is inspirational and this comes through when reading. What makes this so interesting is the backdrop of Obree's mental heath issues which he is so honest about, this is very rare inde...more
Duncan
It's not a fun read, and it's not really a sporting biography in the traditional sense of funny anecdotes and name dropping. Really, this isn't a happy fun book. However, it's a book that should possibly be mandatory 6th form school reading.

Yes there is cycling in there, but it's the story of a boy and then man battling with demons. Some of those demons are real and external, others are from inside, but these are the things that drove one man to fight the organisation that controlled the sport...more
Arron Hartley
A well written book and Graeme has an interesting story to tell however I didn't particularly enjoy reading the constant highs and lows of Graeme's manic depression (or severe personality disorder as his psychiatrist diagnosed him with). Not that I have anything against mental illness - it just wasn't enjoyable to read.
chucklesthescot
This was an interesting read about the highs and lows of Scotland's best cyclist before Chris Hoy came along. It details the terrible depression and self loathing that he coped with through his career and the effect it had on his career. It describes his inability to be happy with what he achieved and details his constant run ins with the cycling beaks who kept banning his bike and its parts.

The only down side is that is does not cover how he coped with being married and gay-as he only came out...more
Fraser
A wonderful character, and I just love the story of an underdog who achieves so much, all in his own charismatic way.

A lot of people told me they felt his story was 'sad', and for sure it is certainly not all happy smiling moments of glory on a bike in front of the world press.

That said, I still found him and his story to be ultimately inspiring and his inner strength demonstrates what you can achieve against all the various odds stacked against you.

Having read it, I don't think I will bother r...more
Dan Cohen

Fascinating autobiography of a very interesting person and great cyclist. This does not read like the usual ghost-written autobiography and, at times, it's moving and compelling. At times it's also pedestrian and dull, but I'll take the variability for the sense of honesty that comes through.
Reginald
If you know anything about Graeme Obree you might be wary of reading this book. I was, however it was interestingly written and despite what have been crushing events in his life this is a strangely uplifting book.I was lent this book by my next door neighbour along with Coppi's biography and Armstrong's autobiography. After recent revelations I just cannot bring myself to read a book by Lance Armstrong but I would recommend Obree's book as an accurate and honest account of what it is like to be...more
Paul
A very interesting book, which illustrates the struggle Graeme had with the 'establishment' of cycling, and coming to terms with his own problems.

How he thought 'outside the box' to improve on existing bicycle design, and testing new riding styles.

This combination with his natural abilities, showed what a true champion and inspiration he is to other cyclists.
Phil
I found this to be a good insight into the life of a fantastic cyclist. It goes into how he lived with his mental health issues. How he overcame many adversities to become the world hour record holder.

In some ways I wish the book expanded into the mind of the man himself, not just his achievements. I know this would in some ways be a bit to personal.
Alastair Arthur
Obree is exceptionally honest and open in terms of his thoughts and feelings through his childhood and career. It's a fascinating story, especially in terms of how his childhood effected his motivations, and the personally developed psychology he uses in his attempts on the hour record.
Arwen Downs
Although some of the lengthier play-by-plays of training and racing induced skimming, the bulk of the text was not only moving but also incredibly amusing. Obree's self-effacing wit struck a chord, as did his sincerely objective view of his life.
Simon
Jan 28, 2013 Simon rated it 4 of 5 stars
Shelves: sport
In not really being able to describe or explain the nature of living with depression he describes and explains it better than most.

A sod of a life and a hell of an achievement. I salute you Graeme Obree.
Steve
this is the most inspiring book i have ever read. Not just about cycling, that is just a career for him, just like anything else, but his life story is amazing. Anyone can overcome anything
Philippa
Although not a bike fan like my husband, this is a wonderful courageous story of a man who battles through mental illness to set a new world record. The film is great too.
William Carter
A very good book, quite possibly the best sports book I have read.
Steve
Excellent and compelling story of Graeme Obree's life and career.
Jesse
better than the movie, a real insight into the struggle
Kevin
The movie kinda sucks.
Bernard
Bernard marked it as to-read
Jul 09, 2014
Jennifer marked it as to-read
Jun 16, 2014