Start by marking “It's Okay to Miss the Bed on the First Jump: And Other Life Lessons I Learned from Dogs” as Want to Read:

A funny, profound book about the enduring wisdom of dogs, from the host of the enormously popular National Dog Show

Charming and hilarious, Its Okay to Miss the Bed on the First Jump is more than a mere celebration of mans best friend. In this lighthearted and reflective exploration of how and why dogs have served as some of our most valuable and enlightened teachers, wel
Published November 2nd 2006 by Hudson Street Press (first published January 1st 2006)

To ask other readers questions about It's Okay to Miss the Bed on the First Jump, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about It's Okay to Miss the Bed on the First Jump

Kay
Apr 16, 2009 Kay added it
Try to jump into your bed but miss the bed on purpose. It is so funny! We laughed so hard. I learned "Never miss a Nap" and "If you're happy and You know it wag your tail
Amy
Jan 12, 2010 Amy rated it really liked it
Nice little gems of wisdom and life lessons from dogs and Mr. Peterman! Who knew? I laughed, I cried, it became a part of me! Seriously.
Linda
Sep 09, 2008 Linda rated it it was ok
I love dogs but this book was nothing to bark about.
Brianna Taylor
Oct 09, 2016 Brianna Taylor rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I got this book for my boyfriend because i thought he'd appreciate it being the dog lover he is. We read it out loud tonight before bed and I couldn't go to sleep till I shared what a book this is. It's such an awesome perspective and just the right amount of quirky and innocent that jumps right to the soul of an actual puppy.
Kimberly
Nov 02, 2009 Kimberly rated it liked it
Achievement is one of the most important elements of the human experience. Along with acts of love and compassion, it is one of the fundamentals that give our lives meaning. A life devoid of achievement is a life wasted. It is as simple and brutal as that.

What is fascinating about dogs is they innately seem to get this. Dogs focus on what they want and go for it. Self-assessment and goal-definition are often the biggest logjams to the flow of achievement. Many of us are unhappy in our present s
Lisa
Jan 24, 2012 Lisa rated it it was ok
Shelves: reviewed
It could be that I'm simply judging books harder the more I read, but my average rating has been dropping lately. I hesitate to rate this book a 2, because in my mind that screams "don't read; waste of time!" Then again, it was simply "okay." So, 2.5. Now that I feel better....

I went into this thinking that I would read funny and charming tales about the author's dogs. Instead, I feel this is one of those book deals only offered to a famous person: an opportunity for him to write about his life
Cheryl
Jun 10, 2011 Cheryl rated it liked it
Recommends it for: dog lovers
Shelves: reviewed
Being a dog owner (or do they own me?) and dog lover, I was drawn to this book. That said, I was hesitant to read another book predicated on dogs and what they teach us, particularly when I learned that one of the author's dogs is fifteen years old, because it always seems that a dog dies before the last page and I'm completely depressed and teary-eyed throughout the reading. Happily, this book was a welcome change from that scenario! Both of the author's current dogs made it through the entire ...more
Eric Smith
Jul 20, 2013 Eric Smith rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
One of the age old questions is what are dogs thinking? You can look at them and a thousand possibilities could pop up. Well, actor John O'Hurley, best known for playing J. Peterman on "Seinfeld," tries to answer that question for us. By observing his two dogs - Betty, a dachsund and black lab mix; and Scoshi, a maltese well in his years - tries to figure out what goes on in the mind and life of our canine companions. Along with the other dogs that have come and gone in his life, John compares h ...more
Kristin
Jun 03, 2010 Kristin rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Dog lovers.
Recommended to Kristin by: Mom
A great book in which O'Hurley reminisces about the dogs in his life and the lessons they've taught him, simply by being dogs. The main themes in the book are that we as humans tend to take ourselves too seriously and stress out over insignificant things in life. Dogs live in the present and don't act as if what happened in the past matters, and other than short term goals that are more a part of routine than 'plans', dogs don't live in the future either. Dogs also don't spend too much time dwel ...more
Lynn Rueff
May 20, 2010 Lynn Rueff rated it it was amazing
The author has served as host of the National Dog Show presented by Purina since 2002. In 2005 he became the ultimate champion of the show Dancing with the Stars. For years he stared as J. Peterman on Seinfeld and is the voice of the cartoon character "King Nepturne" in SpongeBob SquarePants. John O'Hurley also has played Billy Flynn in Chicago on Broadway. Presently he hosts the glame show Family Feud. Mr. O'Hurley owns 2 dogs: a Maltese "Scoshi" and a dachshund black lab mix "Betty". The chapt ...more
Heather
Jul 01, 2013 Heather rated it really liked it
Part memoir, part observational humor, part self-help, this easy read was a lot more enjoyable than I expected it to be. It's clear where the character of J. Peterman got his breezy poetic prose, as O'Hurley seems to indulge in the same now and again. Even if he used a ghost writer, the content, lessons, and tableaus he describes strike me as revealing a deeper person than I was expecting to encounter, with a touch of poet's heart. O'Hurley is not afraid to show himself at his most vulnerable, w ...more
Allanna
Aug 31, 2009 Allanna rated it it was amazing
Michael and I read this together ... and, wow. I'm not the biggest dog person (I like the IDEA of dogs: the fidelity, the unconditional love ... but I'm not great at the practical aspect of it. I mean, they drool, they smell, they don't use a litterbox (and the whole eating barf or poop? Or getting one's used feminine protection products out of the trash? Ew.)...

But reading this book makes me respect dogs more. And adore John O'Hurley even more, if such a thing is possible. He writes with incred
Michelle
Mar 09, 2008 Michelle rated it liked it
Michael and I went to a presentation John O'Hurley did on this book last year and it was great! He was so entertaining and it was awesome to be able to ask him all sorts of questions and hear his answers. It was really awesome and this book is fun. I think it would be even better to the book on cd as he's the narrator and the way he speaks is what really makes his humor so fun. So, if you just have the book you'll just have to imagine him talking as you read -- still pretty good!
Susan
Sep 30, 2009 Susan rated it liked it
Divided into chapters about various lessons we can learn from our dogs, this is quick and uplifting read. The author and actor has learned lessons on napping, relaxing, confidence, living in the moment, and other insights that he has learned. Included at the beginning of each chapter is a cute picture of a dog. While not terribly profound, it is worth reading for those who would like something light and for dog-lovers everywhere.
Cece Baez
Jul 13, 2010 Cece Baez rated it it was ok
Must read for dog lovers!!! I recently read another dog book, but did not enjoyed it because the author was way too endulging...but this author did not self endulge, but was able to talk about dogs and life lessons in a way that does not protray him as a "preacher", in other words, he did not come through as a know-it-all.
Must read.
Vicki
Feb 21, 2008 Vicki rated it really liked it
Cute, uplifting read about life through the eyes of a dog...told by a man. Well written, and from my view very true. Dogs are amazing animals full of unconditional love, happiness, and life, and they are not full of the stresses and drama that we have to deal with everyday. And we should all try to see the world through the eyes of a dog, at least once in a while.
Beth
Apr 10, 2009 Beth rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: dog lovers
Shelves: dog-books, nonfiction
Dogs not only bring us unconditional love, but they also teach us some life lessons if you let them. And thus the premise of John O'Hurley's book It's Okay to Miss the Bed on the First Jump. If only humans could be as surrendering and nonjudgmental as dogs, we'd be a happier, more accepting species.
Margo
Jan 21, 2011 Margo rated it really liked it
The book was slightly more interesting because I have seen the author on TV, specifically, as J Peterman on Seinfeld, and I sometimes watch the annual dog show that he hosts. I liked that the book was fairly short and had some funny tongue-in-cheek humor about dogs. It was a nice read to pass the time on the airplane.
Granny
Aug 19, 2011 Granny rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I really enjoyed this book. Hurley is very good at capturing the funny essence of living with a dog. Wish there were more fun books like this that lift the spirit and heart through our wonderful canine companions.
Jemma
Dec 17, 2014 Jemma rated it it was amazing
It's such a wonderful book to read that you just don't want to put it down. I read it in a day & I laughed & cried & reflected on everything that was written. I now look at my dog (& cats) differently. A must read! You'll definitely learn things about yourself
JoAlice
Nov 13, 2015 JoAlice rated it really liked it
Shelves: very-favorite
I would give it 5 stars if it was a thicker book. I admit I really enjoyed the book. Learned some things about him I didn't know about him before. I like like eat he describes how he loves tomato soup. I'm glad I own this book.
Elaine
Good light reading, and fast. Funny and adds some touching life lessons from John O'Hurley. If you love dogs you will get a kick out of the book. rather endearing. i got my first wake-up kiss this morning. I guess 7:30 is it for me!
Carolyn
Oct 25, 2015 Carolyn rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is great book!! I enjoyed every page, the stories made me smile and even laugh out loud. Every dog lover should take the time to read this. I now get why I love my dog so much and the fact that I'm not the only one!
Jasmin
Jul 28, 2012 Jasmin rated it it was amazing
Any "honest-to-goodness" dog lover can easily relate to any of the stories shared by John O'Hurley. Funny and witty... love the book! The author's perspective on the life lessons from his dogs are really worth pondering on.
Jan 19, 2015 Sarah rated it really liked it
Shelves: listened
Part autobiography, part self-help book. I appreciate O'Hurley's heart, his passion for dogs, and his appreciation of the simple things in life. It reminded me that there's so much to appreciate life and so much that I let slip by.
Southernbelle0326
Mar 08, 2008 Southernbelle0326 rated it liked it
Recommends it for: ANY DOG LOVER
Shelves: pets, comedy, own, 2007-reads
I have to say I enjoyed this book. It was well written and funny. It has many things to ponder. I never even looked at the man's best friend as a teacher of so many things. I would recommend this book to any dog lover.
Jen
Jun 20, 2009 Jen rated it liked it
Shelves: dog-books
Never really have been a fan, but had been wanting to read the books ever since I saw them discussed on TV at their respective launches. Didn't really enjoy the writing style of this one, felt many of the stories were dreary and depressing, rather than humorous. Was glad when it was over.
Joella
Feb 20, 2010 Joella rated it it was ok
I was expecting it to be funnier and was disappointed that it was not. I could relate to some of the "lessons" but could not to others. It was mostly a book about John's life, which was not interesting. It was kind of boring overall.
Nov 01, 2013 Jennifer rated it really liked it
I listened to the audio recording and really enjoyed the stories from his childhood and current life. It was funny and thoughtful.
Judy
Mar 10, 2011 Judy rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Humorous story by the author of what he learned from dogs. A must read for animal lovers and enjoyable for all.
  • The Man Who Talks to Dogs: The Story of Randy Grim and His Fight to Save America's Abandoned Dogs
  • Nose Down, Eyes Up
  • Don't Dump the Dog: Advice from America's Favorite Dog Rescuer
  • Dog Days: Dispatches from Bedlam Farm
  • From Baghdad to America: Life Lessons from a Dog Named Lava
  • What the Dog Did: Tales from a Formerly Reluctant Dog Owner
  • Shelter Dogs: Amazing Stories of Adopted Strays
  • No Buddy Left Behind: Bringing U.S. Troops' Dogs and Cats Safely Home from the Combat Zone
  • Wallace: The Underdog Who Conquered a Sport, Saved a Marriage, and Championed Pit Bulls-- One Flying Disc at a Time
  • The Social Lives of Dogs: The Grace of Canine Company
  • Bad Dogs Have More Fun: Selected Writings on Family, Animals, and Life from The Philadelphia Inquirer
  • Just Gus: A Rescued Dog and the Woman He Loved
  • You Are a Dog: Life Through the Eyes of Man's Best Friend
  • Lost and Found: Dogs, Cats, and Everyday Heroes at a Country Animal Shelter
  • Bad to the Bone: Memoir of a Rebel Doggie Blogger
  • A Prince Among Dogs: and Other Stories of the Dogs We Love
  • Best Friends: The True Story of the World's Most Beloved Animal Sanctuary
  • Puppy Chow is Better Than Prozac: The True Story of a Man and the Dog Who Saved His Life