Start by marking “It's Probably Penny” as Want to Read:
It's Probably Penny

It's Probably Penny

A delightful companion to Measuring Penny

Lisa's class is learning about probability. For part of her homework, she has to think of an event that will happen, one that might happen, and one that can't happen. Who is that Boston terrier that keeps popping into Lisa's imagination? It's probably Penny!

Loreen Leedy is widely praised for her ability to make concepts fun and acce
Published April 17th 2007 by Henry Holt and Co. (BYR)

To ask other readers questions about It's Probably Penny, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about It's Probably Penny

Stephanie Field
Apr 28, 2015 Stephanie Field rated it liked it
Shelves: math-books
This story is about Lisa learning probability. She is assigned a homework assignment for the weekend where she needs to predict the outcomes of the activities she does. Through this assignment, Lisa uses her dog Penny and is able to predict a lot of what will happen because she has spent a lot of time with Penny.
I think this book, along with Loreen Leedy's other books about Penny and Lisa, is a great book to use to teach math to students. This particular book teaches on the topic of probability
Finny
Jun 19, 2011 Finny rated it did not like it
Mommy says: a 6yo is too young for this cute picture book about math probability. He could understand the ideas, but found it to be boring. Try again in a few years.
Dolly
Jul 09, 2012 Dolly rated it liked it
Recommends it for: parents reading with their children
Shelves: childrens, pets, 2012
We've enjoyed reading Loreen Leedy's books about Penny. The stories are fun, but educational too. We thought this lesson about probabilities was interesting and was taught in a way that children can easily understand. I'm not a huge fan of the illustrations, but the biggest issue I have with this book is the disjointed narrative. On several occasions while reading this book, I had to go back and see if somehow I missed a page. The narrative seems very choppy, with poor transitions.

Overall, Lisa
Alice
Sep 21, 2013 Alice rated it really liked it
I love Loreen Leedy's books! The pictures are always great! The stories are informative, fun and educational. This book got me to think about probabilities. Math can be tough and for me but this book would be an excellent way to talk about math to 4th or 5th about probabilities. I was tired when I read this and at first I wasn't following, but it was written so well, and explained clearly that even a tired adult could understand the explanations of probabilities.

This would be perfect to incorpor
Liz
Apr 01, 2013 Liz rated it liked it
Shelves: read-2012-13
Finally read this one too! (April 1st) More like 3.5 stars... Another of Leedy's books featuring the dog, Penny, and ties to math, science or social studies concepts. This one is obviously on probability. Not percents, but just the likelihood of events occurring. You could probably do this same homework assignment with your own class! :-) I love how Loreen Leedy stories connect to content curriculum!
Jie Gao
Jan 07, 2014 Jie Gao rated it it was amazing
Shelves: non-fiction, math
A very preliminary introduction to probability. It teaches the meaning of WILL, MIGHT, NEVER, PROBABLE, IMPOSSIBLE, MOST LIKELY, LEAST LIKELY.
Tiffany
Jul 20, 2012 Tiffany rated it really liked it
Shelves: math
I love Leedy's book "Measuring Penny" and it offers very real life scenarios for measuring and has many pages of activities you can have your students do. This book is the same. It teaches students about probability in a very fun and real way. The directions in the book are very clear and precise and the illustrations are great.
Shelli
Aug 30, 2012 Shelli rated it it was amazing
Wonderful teaching tool for probability! Follow these students in their weekend assignment by creating your own list of events that will: probably, may not, or could never happen. Making math fun is challenging, but not impossible and Loreen Leedy proves it with this book.
Jun 12, 2013 Jennifer rated it liked it
Shelves: mathematics
Lisa's class is learning about probability. Will, might, can't happen. Tiny chance or impossible. Equal chances and unequal chances.

6th Grade Common Core Standards:
Statistics and Probability
6.SP.1

*Available at Albuquerque/Bernalillo County Libraries*
Tiffany
Dec 02, 2012 Tiffany rated it really liked it
Shelves: math-books
Probability is a unqiue math subject to teach.Students really learn and master this concept in older grades. But why wait? This book can make for a good introduction, and the story line is an awesome activity to recreate.
Rita
Sep 11, 2011 Rita rated it really liked it
Shelves: math
This book can be used to teach the students about probability and how to make predictions. The students can also make predictions about what's going to happen next as the teacher does a read aloud.
Hahna Kohne
Apr 21, 2013 Hahna Kohne rated it it was amazing
Follow Penny along in this story and you will learn all about probability. Probability is sometimes a difficult concept to teach, but Penny the boston terrier makes learning fun.
Haley Sterritt
Apr 12, 2013 Haley Sterritt rated it liked it
Shelves: ece-3601, math
I would use this book to start discussing probability. I would extend it by having students create their own probability situations.
Shunta
Nov 01, 2012 Shunta rated it really liked it
Shelves: math, predicting
Deals with probability. Girl doing an assignment. I would assign a similiar activity, reinact the book.
Karan Johnstone
Jul 02, 2013 Karan Johnstone rated it it was amazing
Shelves: math-read-alouds
This is a good book to introduce probability to my students.
Tiffanni Dean
This book is used when discussing grouping as well as probability
Ashley
Oct 28, 2014 Ashley rated it it was amazing
This is one of my favorite books about math. I hope Leedy writes more Penny books.
PWRL
Mar 14, 2012 PWRL marked it as to-read
Shelves: 2012-new
A
Brianne
Brianne rated it really liked it
Sep 22, 2016
Manybooks
Manybooks marked it as to-read
Sep 07, 2016
Fernando Morales
Fernando Morales rated it liked it
Aug 01, 2016
Lookingfortara
Lookingfortara marked it as to-read
Jun 07, 2016
Dr_d
Dr_d added it
Jun 06, 2016
Lisa
Lisa marked it as to-read
Mar 30, 2016
16018 rated it really liked it
Mar 13, 2016
Elisa Bucklin
Elisa Bucklin marked it as to-read
Feb 13, 2016
Christopher Mcgurr
Christopher Mcgurr rated it really liked it
Jan 08, 2016
Beyond the Pages
Beyond the Pages rated it liked it
Oct 29, 2015
« previous 1 3 4 next »
Loreen Leedy is the author and illustrator of over 40 picture books with math, science, language arts, and other curriculum content. Her books showcase information in a kid-friendly format, often with characters and entertaining stories.

Honors and awards for her books include: ALA Notable Book, Science Books and Films finalist, Reading Rainbow feature book, Chicago Library Best of the Best, many S
More about Loreen Leedy...