Start by marking “The Alphabet Book” as Want to Read:
The Alphabet Book

The Alphabet Book (Bright and Early Board Books)

4.06  ·  Rating Details ·  1,165 Ratings  ·  40 Reviews
Illus. in full color.
Paperback, A Random House PICTUREBACK, 32 pages
Published 1974 by Random House

To ask other readers questions about The Alphabet Book, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Alphabet Book

Mary Cravens
Two alphabet words per letter (Kangaroos with keys) Small, but good clear pictures
Alicia Singleton
This book is about a fun and silly run though of the alphabet. When going through each letter, the beginning word and the ending word both start with the present letter, such as “bird on bike”, and “fox with fish.” This book can help teach not only the order of the alphabet, but what the actual letters are as well. This book can also help children learn and identify different animals and objects. This book has really simple words, which is ideal for children just learning how to read. I would re ...more
Stephen
Sep 23, 2016 Stephen rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The author and illustrator of The Alphabet Book, P.D. Eastman, does a fantastic job portraying the alphabet in a fun, enjoyable way. The artistic style of cartoons easily keeps the reader engaged because they are so fun to look at. This book goes above and beyond a simple "A is for Apple" style alphabet book and adds fun ABC descriptions as well. For example, the page for T displays a cute "Turtle at Typewriter".
This book is labeled as an "Early Reader" book for an important reason, and that's
Oct 13, 2012 Laura rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Genre-Children's book-Alphabet
This book is filled with fun pictures and phrases of the alphabet.
A. Area for comment is relationship between illustration and words
B. Most likely this type of book wil be for Pre-K and Kindergarten so the less detail going on than the better it is for their understanding. I think the phrase for each letter match the picture precisely which helps the child to easily connect words with pictures.
C. For example, on page 5 for the letter E there is a picture of an ele
Kory Bootsma
Feb 16, 2015 Kory Bootsma rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The Alphabet Book goes through every letter of the alphabet coupled with an illustration to highlight words that begin with each particular letter of the alphabet. The illustrations are both captivating and interesting that it will keep both preschooler and parent engaged throughout the book. Images such as "Juggler with Jack-o-lanterns" pictures a dog tossing pumpkins into the air, a mesh of two images one does not usually generate on one's own. And a "Zebra with a Zinther" will teach both adul ...more
Mary
Sep 20, 2011 Mary rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: childrens
Every letter is portrayed by an animal that also has an item beginning with the letter. The book has a good format with clear illustrations outlined in black. There is a little cheating with I for infant, and the lion holding the lamb and winking was a little spooky. But then it was nine in their nests for N, queen for Q and umpire for U. So the theme was blown before they even got to X (a xylophone for Xmas – oh no).
Allison
Feb 16, 2013 Allison rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I remember enjoying this book when I was learning the alphabet and I loved that it was illustrated and written similarly to Dr. Seuss' books. It is a pretty standard books with the letter presented and then a few words that start with the letter. It is an alphabet book, obviously, and appropriate for ages 3 and up. I know some don't enjoy that Xmas is used to represent the letter X but I find it creative and it works for me! It's certainly not a deal breaker.
Bookish
I liked it for the most part. it is appealing because of the silly incongruous pairings for so many of the letters.

I didn't like the choice of "Xmas" for the letter X, because it is not how most folks refer to Christmas, and I think it could confusing for a 2yo who is just learning letters & words. Frankly it was also a little off-putting to me from a linguistic standpoint. it's important to first learn the language before learning the shortcuts and slang, in my opinion.
Kayla
Sep 29, 2015 Kayla rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: abc-books
This book presents the alphabet, along with some animals and items that start with each letter. For example, A is for American ants, and B is for a bird on a bike. It is a fun and silly way to introduce the ABCs to children in terms that will easily stick with them. I would use this as a warm-up in a preschool classroom. As a class at the beginning of every day, the students can practice their letters, sounds, and words that start with each letter.
Rebecca Campbell
Oct 21, 2011 Rebecca Campbell rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is one of my daughter's books and I have it memorized because she always picks it up and makes a little noise and hands it to me, which means, read this to me! It isn't too long as to lose her attention, and it also has pictures of animals. She likes animals so we can talk about the different animals pictured as well. Comes in a board book which I recommend.
Marissa
1. This book has not won any awards!

2. This book is appropriate for early learners in preschool.

3. This book explores all of the letters of the alphabet uniquely. The book is captivating for young readers as they learn.

4. I really like the silly sentences that the story uses for each letter.

5. I would use this to help reinforce the alphabet as we learn in preschool.
Sandi
Cute illustrations make this outdated (and a bit politically incorrect) book a fun read. After all, when learning the letter "Q," what's more memorable than a queen with a quarter? Concepts may be hard for some of the little ones to grasp/read, but the alphabet guide on each page is a nice touch.
Becca
I'm sure I read this as a kid, but I don't remember it (though I do remember the cover). I read this with one of my students yesterday and we had fun reading it and then asking silly questions about the animals doing rather silly things.
Shanshad Whelan
Read this to my son and realize the whole thing is painfully dated, some of the items are simply not well drawn and it's a pretty terrible alphabet book. Nostalgia aside, this just doesn't do it for me any longer!
Ruth Ann
May 01, 2015 Ruth Ann rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: board-books, alphabet
Each letter gives us at least two words like: umpire under umbrella.

And introduces some nifty vocabulary like: umpire, zither, and wig.

The illustrations are fun - "C" cow in car: cow does not look too happy!
Christine
Mar 23, 2016 Christine rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is the classic Dr. Seuss type book that P.D. Eastman wrote introducing the alphabet and alliteration. This is good for your beginning readers and ESL readers of all ages. I would recommend it for PK-2nd grade.
Voracious_reader
Aug 10, 2016 Voracious_reader rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-but-unowned
Fun book for a young child learning the alphabet. Some of it is a bit dated. Our two year old really enjoys it. The words included are quite easy. Lots of animals/pictures of animals are included and keep a young child's attention.
Vanessa Dougherty
A fun, silly way to discover the alphabet. The pictures correlate with the sentences for each letter, great for beginners to read. Using this in the class can spark imagination for coming up with words for the alphabet.
Seth
Nov 14, 2012 Seth rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
PB:29 The Alphabet Book. I really enjoyed the fact that each page contained two words that started with the particular letter as well as having a picture of both words. Great way to show children words that go with the letters of the alphabet.
Rebecca
May 12, 2008 Rebecca rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: children
Alphabet books seem to go on and on. First the letter than the item that begins with that letter. *Yawn*
Alicia
Nov 03, 2012 Alicia rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Very cute illustrations. I didn't like the X one though (Xmas should not be the chosen word for X.)
Theresa Lively
Jan 19, 2016 Theresa Lively rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Alphabet

Great way to learn new alphabet letters and word associated with them. Would read again and again. We like this author.
Katie Beck
Jun 25, 2010 Katie Beck rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: alphabet-books
This is a good book to read to children to teach them about words that match the letters of the alphabet.
Anthony Pate
This is a book that you would read to an early level student. This book is used to help the students learn how to recite the alphabet, and certain words that correspond with those letters.
Kimberly
Jan 19, 2016 Kimberly rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is a great alphabet Book. It's simple, colorful, and not too busy. The only thing that bothered me was xmas for x.
Breana Vining
This book teaches the alphabet. It is good for toddlers and for those who may be struggling with the alphabet upon entering pre-k and kindergarten.
ABC
Apr 17, 2008 ABC rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: babies/toddlers
Shelves: younger-kids
Good book, except it annoys me that it leaves out articles. For example, it says, "Horse on house" rather than "Horse on a house"
Cori Brown
Apr 07, 2014 Cori Brown rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 20-pre-2000
A book with cute illustrations that defiantly catch a child attention. A great book to teach kids they're alphabet.
Haley Baker
Age range: 1-5

ECRR:
Letter Knowledge: explores alphabet
Amanda
Amanda rated it it was amazing
Feb 09, 2014
  • This Is New York
  • Spot Can Count (Color): First Edition
  • Curious George in the Snow
  • Curious George and the Bunny
  • Bones, Bones, Dinosaur Bones
  • We All Went On Safari
  • Sergei Prokofiev's Peter and the Wolf: With a Fully-Orchestrated and Narrated CD
  • The Swing
  • Bright Baby Animals
  • Thomas Goes Fishing (Thomas & Friends)
  • Night-Night, Little Pookie
  • Fred and Ted like to fly (Beginner Books)
  • Alphabet Adventure
  • Where Is Baby's Pumpkin? (Karen Katz Lift-the-Flap Books)
  • Little White Duck
  • That's Not My Monkey...
  • Rattletrap Car
  • My World: A Companion to Goodnight Moon
Philip Dey "Phil" Eastman was an American screenwriter, children's author, and illustrator. As an author, he is known primarily as P. D. Eastman. A protégé of Theodor Geisel (Dr. Seuss), Eastman wrote many books for children, in his own distinct style under the Dr. Seuss brand of Random House, many of which were in the Beginner Books series.

From 1936 to 1941, Eastman worked at the story departmen
More about P.D. Eastman...

Bright and Early Board Books (8 books)
  • Dr. Seuss's ABC: An Amazing Alphabet Book! (Bright and Early Board Books)
  • The Foot Book: Dr. Seuss's Whacky Book of Opposites (Bright and Early Board Books)
  • The Tooth Book
  • A Crack in the Track (Bright & Early Board Books)
  • Summer (Beginner Books)
  • Inside, Outside, Upside Down (Berenstain Bears Bright and Early Board Book)
  • Here Comes Peter Cottontail Board Book (Peter Cottontail) (Bright & Early Board Books(TM))