Start by marking “SeinLanguage” as Want to Read:
SeinLanguage

SeinLanguage

3.63  ·  Rating Details ·  6,810 Ratings  ·  443 Reviews
Seinfeld. For more than 33 million viewers, the Emmy Award-winning television show has become a Thursday night ritual. Even though the show has ended, Jerry Seinfeld's distinct brand of humor can still be yours.

In his #1 New York Times bestselling book, SeinLanguage, Jerry Seinfeld has captured on the page his views on topics ranging from Raisinettes to relationships, fro
Published December 1st 1994 by Bantam (first published September 1st 1993)

To ask other readers questions about SeinLanguage, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about SeinLanguage

Erin ☕ *Proud Book Hoarder*

I love Jerry Seinfeld's comedy, and of course I loved 'Seinfeld' the show. I know there are some people out there who have no chemistry with the show's humor, but I'm one of those it fits perfectly. I went into this book wondering if it was a musing on life or a mini bio, but found it was none of this. It's 'SeinLanguage' - pieces of Seinfeld's comedy, written on page rather than acted on stage.

The humor is good, it works, he writes well - but it'd be better to sit and watch him perform
Jonathan
Oct 28, 2009 Jonathan rated it it was ok
Let me preface this review by saying that I think Jerry Seinfeld is hilarious. I have watched Seinfeld episodes by the gallon and never seem to tire of them. And I always watch the comedy segment at the end, because he is so clever and everyone seems to be having such a good time.

However, something about his humor style translates very poorly to a book. I don't know what it is. But I read the entire thing, front to back, and counted one quiet chuckle and two smirks.

Seinfeld acknowledges this sh
Matthew
Aug 29, 2007 Matthew rated it it was amazing
This is simply a collection of several bits from Jerry Seinfeld's comic notebook. Most fans of the TV show Seinfeld or of Seinfeld's stand up act will recognize these bits. That doesn't make them any less funny. This is one of the only books I have ever laughed at while reading it. In my mind, I could hear Jerry's voice saying these bits and it was like my own personal Jerry Seinfeld stand up act.
Chris
Apr 18, 2012 Chris rated it liked it
For me, this book was an ‘inbetweener’. It helped lighten the load between Hawking’s A Brief History Of Time and an anthology of existentialist thought titled Existentialism. And lighten the load it did. I read just a couple pages each time I came to it, and put it down with a more cheerful and ‘breathable’ outlook.

Everyone knows Seinfeld’s humor (if you don’t, I don’t want to know you anymore…simple as that…just leave). He cracks jokes about everyday things that we take for granted, and helps u
Magdalena
Mar 22, 2010 Magdalena rated it liked it
There's a reason why it's called 'stand-up comedy' - because when you sit down and try to read it, it's not as funny as when you hear it.

(BTW, I'm a huge fan of Seinfeld and Jerry himself so my review's just 'OK' not because I don't get his sense of humour. I do but I'm not buying it wrapped in a book form.)
Tarek Amr
Dec 22, 2008 Tarek Amr rated it really liked it
Shelves: own
It's hard to describe this one as a book. You know those few minutes at the beginning and at the end of the Seinfeld Sitcom shows, when Jerry gives some Stand Up Comedy sketches. This book is just a collection of those sketches.

People who like the show - like me - may find it nice to read those sketches, and keep the book on their shelves and treat it as a some kind of written video tape where they can play the sketches back in their minds whenever they want to watch them again.
Saurabh Sharma
May 14, 2012 Saurabh Sharma rated it liked it
Jerry Seinfeld needs no introduction. He is arguably the best stand up comedian of our times and his show 'Seinfeld', that ran for 10 seasons and has since seen many re-runs on networks all over the world, a cult classic. So, when I ordered this book my expectations were really high because I absolutely adore Jerry. However, when I got the book I was a little disappointed because I was expecting this to be Jerry's autobiography or something similar but 'Sein Language' is simply a collection of j ...more
Adam Krause
Mar 14, 2014 Adam Krause rated it liked it
The book “Seinlanguage” is an autobiography about Jerry Seinfeld and his everyday life, and thoughts. He covers relationships, transportation, and life as a kid. The thing that I liked most about the book was that most of the jokes made a lot of sense. I read the whole book in his voice. I then imagined him talking to Elaine and George inside of his apartment.

Seinfeld puts some good life lessons in his book but adds a little humor to it. I like reading autobiographies more than normal books. It
Shelby
Apr 20, 2011 Shelby rated it liked it
Shelves: non-fiction
There's no doubt that as a stand-up comedian, Jerry Seinfeld is hilarious. His material is fantastic, and his television show is one of the best of all time. This book is meant to capture his stand-up in writing in the form of what is essentially a collection of short jokes. Because of this, the book is a very fast read and is easy to pick back up on after being set down.

I love Seinfeld. However, without his signature delivery style, his material (however hilarious it may be) just doesn't feel
Arabian Rihanna
Jan 12, 2013 Arabian Rihanna rated it did not like it
I understand that this book was a big hit in 1995, when the show was still airing. But in 2013, I find it a little too dull.

I watched the entire Seinfeld sitcom and I mostly liked it. I hated the end though, and I disliked how Jerry would always go, "and what's the deal with cars anyway? Right? I mean...".

Seinfeld has a unique style, except that you grow tired of it at some point. A sitcom and several comedy gigs were enough; a book compiling the material that was already used and re-used over s
Samantha
Aug 08, 2009 Samantha rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: funny-satirical
So, yeah. My reading tastes are varied. I just finished reading a book about astrophysics and then went right into reading this collection of Jerry Seinfeld anecdotes. It only took me two hours to read the whole book, but it was time well spent.

First of all, I ♥ Jerry Seinfeld. He never fails to make me laugh. There is no one on this planet who, for me, can make the mundane more hilarious than he can.

This book is basically a collection of the stand-up excerpts that used to appear in his sitcom.
Aaron Danke
Oct 22, 2013 Aaron Danke rated it really liked it
The book “Seinlanguage” is an autobiography about Jerry Seinfeld and his everyday life, and thoughts. This book is divided into different sections. Each section has it’s own topic. He covers relationships, transportation, life as a kid, money, and more. The book was basically a big comedy act. After a joke a new paragraph starts. The thing that I liked most about the book was that most of the jokes I could relate to, and they made a lot of sense. I like Jerry Seinfeld’s sense of humor. He never ...more
Karschtl
Mar 24, 2008 Karschtl rated it it was amazing
I loved the show! And I love this book! Hilarious funny.

I read some passages in my "American Accent Training"-exam at uni, and it worked. The teacher (comes from New York) loves Jerry and my reading, and I passed.

Here are three passages from the book:
The fact of life is that people will try and take your possessions. People are going to steal from you. Everybody has their own little personal security things. Things that they think will foil the crooks. You go to the beach, go into the water, put
Triasterina
Sep 20, 2009 Triasterina rated it liked it
Gak ada bosen2nya baca buku ini. I am silly, like him. In the book, Jerry describes few situation that happened to me also. Hilarious !!Banyak keresahan2 Jerry yang gak pernah terpikirkan sebelumnya, tapi Jerry ngemas itu dengan situasi komedi. Kalo bener-bener kejadian di cerita ini hampir sama dengan kehidupan kita sehari-hari, coba deh baca … bikin kamu ngetawain diri sendiri…

I think, he is quite feminine…
“ The tuxedo is a wedding safety device. Because they know that men are undependable.
Cole
Nov 07, 2013 Cole rated it it was amazing
"SeinLanguage" was great to read, much of the book is from Seinfeld’s stand-up comedy. The book covers many everyday topics including tensions on first dates and transportation. It flows well and gives you the visualization that you area watching his stand-up act.

Jerry Seinfeld was the only main character in this book. Other people were mentioned including Jerry’s parents and his close friends, no names were mentioned.

Most of the comedy takes place in New York as it is referenced throughout the
Kevin
Apr 13, 2009 Kevin rated it really liked it

If you're a fan of Jerry Seinfeld's unique style of observational humor, enjoy his stand-up, his show, or are just in the mood for something light-hearted, go ahead and pick this up. SeinLanguage is an easy read, but the voice of Seinfeld is clear and present in every word; reading it is like watching him on stage, pacing back and forth, doing his thing, only this time it's all in your head.

From dating, to personal maintenance, to attempting to find a spot in a New York parking lot, the book's s

Apu Borealis
Jul 04, 2012 Apu Borealis rated it really liked it
This was more of the sitcom Seinfeld in book form, but less funny. By itself, I don't think it is 4 star material, although I can't get enough of Jerry on that TV sitcom, I've not found him seriously funny anywhere else. It was a mix of Larry David's bite and Jerry Seinfeld's mainstream humor that made it such a hit. And Larry without Jerry is a tad sour sounding, or at least a different genre of humor, like organic chocolate without sugar. In fact, all fans of the show realize what a tremendous ...more
Daniel
Jan 07, 2014 Daniel rated it it was amazing
¿Han escuchado el disco 'I'm Telling You for the Last Time'?, ¿Si?, ¿No?, no importa, en teoría, puede que nadie lea esto.

Si eres fan de Seinfeld (la serie o el comediante), tienes que leer esto, no tiene narrativa, pero básicamente es un stand up escrito, con cosas que se ven en la serie, y que se escuchan en el disco.

Los chistes ahí estan, solo es de leerlo con el ritmo necesario.

Hay muy buenas observaciones de la vida, la muerte, la homofobia, y el consumismo.

Me gustó un chingo, porque es com
Israel
Jul 10, 2008 Israel rated it liked it
DO NOT READ THIS BOOK! Unless you have watched enough Seinfeld lately to properly duplicate Jerry's comedic timing as you read the book aloud. The common element of all of Jerry's jokes is that they are painfully unfunny...until you have Jerry telling them. So do yourself a favor. Binge on a few DVDs of Seinfeld and then read the book outloud in Jerry's voice. Then it will earn two more stars.
Ash
Mar 13, 2011 Ash rated it it was amazing
Seinfeld happens to be one of my most favourite comedy shows on TV. I loveeed Jerry's stand up acts in them. This book is a collection of many such humorous acts by Jerry. One of the funniest books I have ever read. I could almost imagine Jerry saying those sentences. Wish there was an audio version of this book.
Joy H.
Feb 03, 2011 Joy H. rated it it was amazing
I remember laughing out loud while I was reading this book, _SeinLanguage_ by Jerry Seinfeld. I recently gave it away to our library's fundraiser and I'm sorry I did. So now I'm going to borrow it from the library so that I can read it again. It's a short, skinny little book. So it won't take me long.
David
Aug 10, 2011 David rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Interesting book. When I picked it up I thought it was going to be more of an autobiography of himself with some funny perspectives on life, but it was actually just his stand up comedy. Some of it was really funny, some was okay. Overall it was a quick read and entertaining.
Ashwin Ramakrishnan
May 30, 2013 Ashwin Ramakrishnan rated it it was amazing
An absolutely hilarious collection of Seinfeld's thoughts on everything. Honestly, it's like reading stand-up, especially if you slow down to read it with his voice and timing. It's amazing how he finds the absurdity in everyday life.
Dan Schwent
Sep 17, 2008 Dan Schwent rated it it was amazing
Shelves: funny
Funny funny stuff. It's even funnier if you and your brother read it out loud to each other while your ditching church. Not that we did that for several years. There is significant overlap with his standup material but that's to be expected.
Lynai
Sep 13, 2010 Lynai rated it really liked it
Shelves: own-a-copy
I have added another book to my currently-reading list. But this one I think I might finish soonest. An easy read, hilarious at times, and definitely a light read. Just what I need for the moment.
Angie
Mar 31, 2008 Angie rated it really liked it
Very funny and easy read- I think I finished it in a day. His humor in the book mimics his stand up routine and television show...which is why it's so good.
Blake
Oct 23, 2014 Blake added it

“Seinlanguage,” by Jerry Seinfeld, is a very comical book. Jerry is a stand up comedian who makes jokes about problems that go on in everyone’s everyday lives. The book is mainly his jokes combined with some explanation to the each of them. He does talk about his everyday life throughout some of the book. He goes over relationship advice, money advice, life as a kid, and the issues he strongly disagrees with. He did not have to say much to make you laugh or have to do much explaining to make you
John
Dec 02, 2011 John rated it liked it
Jerry Seinfeld is a name that everyone knows. Jerry is a classic comedian, and he is also the star of his own sitcom titled "Seinfeld."
I've grown up revolving Jerry Seinfeld; my dad and mom are both die hard Seinfeld fanatics, so i've adapted to his presence throughout my house. The book SeinLanguage is overflowing with Jerry's most memorable comedy acts. But Jerry isn't just a comedian, he is a genius. His usage of logics and outlook on different perspectives is amazing. SeinLanguage is a coll
Samuel
Sep 25, 2014 Samuel rated it it was amazing
I read the book "Sein Language," by Jerry Seinfeld. I thought this was a great book that was quite interesting and entertaining to read.

There really isn't a plot. Jerry just talks about all aspects of his life and his day to day basis. He talks about relationships, girls, guys, employment, childhood, adulthood, growing old and everything else you could ever imagine.

The main and only character in the story is Jerry, who is a very creative humorous individual. He is random and sometimes confusing.
Jordan
Sep 25, 2015 Jordan rated it did not like it
Have you ever wondered what goes on in the mind of a sub-par comic? If you have then "Seinlanguage" just might be the book for you. The book is about, well frankly it is about anything and everything that passed through his brain while he was sat at his computer. What started out as a fun book displaying a peak into a successful comics brain quickly turned into the annoying ramblings of a man desperate to stay in the spotlight. This book was awful, how it managed to become a New York Times Bests ...more
The Not-So Austen...: Quotes from: Jerry Seinfield 3 14 Jun 02, 2012 11:45PM
  • Fatherhood
  • Dave Barry Is from Mars and Venus
  • Dirty Jokes and Beer: Stories of the Unrefined
  • Don't Stand Too Close to a Naked Man
  • No Shirt, No Shoes...No Problem!
  • Don't Shoot, It's Only Me: Bob Hope's Comedy History of the United States
  • I Want to Grow Hair, I Want to Grow Up, I Want to Go to Boise
  • Why Not Me?
  • Roseannearchy: Dispatches from the Nut Farm
  • Cad: Confessions of a Toxic Bachelor
  • No Cure for Cancer
19838
Jerome Allen "Jerry" Seinfeld (born April 29, 1954) is an American comedian, actor and writer, whose style is often described as observational comedy. He is best known for playing a semi-fictional version of himself in the situation comedy, Seinfeld, (1989-1998), which he co-created, helped write and, in the show's final two seasons, executive produced. In his first major foray back into the media ...more
More about Jerry Seinfeld...