Start by marking “One Wide River to Cross” as Want to Read:
One Wide River to Cross

One Wide River to Cross

Woodcut illustrations and brief text from an American folk song relate the story of the animals on Noah's ark.
Published April 1st 1992 by Little Brown and Company (first published June 1966)

To ask other readers questions about One Wide River to Cross, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about One Wide River to Cross

The Fool of the World and the Flying Ship by Arthur RansomeWhy the Sun and the Moon Live in the Sky by Elphinstone DayrellDrummer Hoff by Barbara EmberleyFrederick by Leo LionniSeashore Story by Taro Yashima
Newberry Winners and Honors of the 1960s
8th out of 32 books — 1 voter
Madeline by Ludwig BemelmansThe Stinky Cheese Man and Other Fairly Stupid Tales by Jon ScieszkaBlueberries for Sal by Robert McCloskeyDon't Let the Pigeon Drive the Bus! by Mo WillemsClick, Clack, Moo by Doreen Cronin
Caldecott Honor Books
242nd out of 251 books — 182 voters

More lists with this book...

Kristine Hansen
Sep 02, 2015 Kristine Hansen rated it really liked it
Well, don't take this as anything accurately portraying the story of Noah from the Bible. Instead keep in mind this is an illustration of the old folksong and you've got the idea. I do love the unicorn and basilisk...wishing Noah had thought to pack them for the trip. Perhaps the problem was he only had one of each...?

The woodcuts give a beautiful feel to the story. This was a pleasure to look at and read (sing).
Beth
Dec 27, 2014 Beth rated it really liked it
My mom had a copy of this book when I was growing up, although it was a library discard and I think it was missing a page or two. I came across this at my library recently, and thought I would reread it. I love, love, LOVE the illustrations, and I think it was very well put together, especially considering the limited printing abilities they had in 1966 (which was when my copy was published). I know they couldn't print a lot of colors, so I like how the paper of the pages were different colors ...more
Crystal
I think that this book is visually beautiful. The connection to African-American tradition is obvious from the first page turn. The pages are brightly, yet deeply colored. The actual illustrations are in black. They aren't very detailed but they work perfectly. My favorite part of illustration is the way the looming clouds grow through the pages. I only knew of the Big Green Monster book by illustrator Ed Emberley. This is very unlike the illustrations in that book.
I was very shocked to find th
Alexis Caudill
Oct 18, 2016 Alexis Caudill rated it it was amazing
Shelves: book-summaries
1. Book summary, in your own words (3 pts)
One Wide River to Cross is a Caldecott Medal book. It is a counting story about Noah and the Ark. It has beautiful pictures and it fun to read.
2. Grade level, interest level, lexile (1 pt)
This would be a good book for students in PreK-1st grade. It is very easy to read and very cute.
3. Appropriate classroom use (subject area) (1 pt)
I would use this book for the reading portion of my class. I would also use it as a way to teach counting.
4. Individual stu
Rachel
I totally think this book should've won the Caldecott Award in 1967, instead of a Caldecott Honor. Of course, I'm a bit biased because I think "Sam, Bangs, and Moonshine" is one of the worst children's books ever written/illustrated. This book was way better illustrated, with beautiful whimsical woodcuts and pages in bright happy colors. The story is based off an African-American spiritual on Noah's Ark, and the song is included with music in the back of the book. Recommended for ages 2-7, 4 ...more
Paul
Dec 17, 2012 Paul rated it liked it
This old folk song loosely recounts the filling of Noah's Ark with animals starting with the animals that "came one by one" and coming to a conclusion with "ten by ten." With wit and exuberance in the verse ("some came in by roller skate") and illlustrations, Ed Emberley's woodcuts are tremendous, although the visual depiction imaginatively wanders from the biblical narrative to include a basilisk, unicorn, manticore and griffin.
Brindi
1967 Caldecott Honor

Lots, of animals, numbers, and colors, and I really liked the informational text at the end. (Noah's ark)

*This would be a great gift (if you could find it) for a Noah's ark-themed baby shower/birthday.
Samantha
May 12, 2012 Samantha rated it really liked it
Woodcut illustrations tell the story of Noah and his ark. Each page has a brightly colored background and counts the animals as they board the boat up to sets of ten. Good read aloud. Back matter includes music and lyrics. Must see.
Chelsea Smith
Feb 26, 2016 Chelsea Smith rated it really liked it
This choice is a good book for those who want to share the experience of Noah and his ark with children. Rhyming is present throughout, making it flow and easier to read. Young children will enjoy the colors and interesting patterned pictures of the animals.
Dani Paiz
May 13, 2014 Dani Paiz rated it it was amazing
This book was very cute, is told in song, with music in the back of the book. Great to introduce counting, and all of the pages are very colorful. It's good for phonological awareness and vocabulary. I'd recommend it for ages 2-5.
Becky B
Based on a traditional song, this picture book has Noah and the animals loading up the ark.

This song was definitely for the fun counting aspect and not concerned about sticking to the original Bible story. It's catchy, but a bit ridiculous. There are better Noah's ark books out there.
Abby Morgan
May 26, 2015 Abby Morgan rated it really liked it
Shelves: language-play
In this book, the author uses rhyme to describe the animals. The children can anticipate the next coming word as they consider words that rhyme. How fun?!
Katie Fitzgerald
Read for #nerdcott. Reviewed in Caldecott Challenge Post #81: http://storytimesecrets.blogspot.com/...
Laura5
Jan 30, 2013 Laura5 rated it liked it
I liked the animals that went on the ark 1 by 1 - like the unicorn - that's why they are not around anymore. Very clever.
Tammy
Tammy rated it liked it
Jan 11, 2016
Nikole
Nikole rated it it was ok
Feb 23, 2012
Cherie
Cherie rated it it was ok
Apr 22, 2015
Rob
Rob rated it really liked it
Feb 06, 2015
Nora
Nora rated it liked it
Aug 18, 2016
Heather
Heather rated it liked it
Aug 11, 2014
Neus
Neus rated it liked it
Jul 20, 2014
Stefanie
The art is cool but the story is weak and religious.
Suzi Sherman
Suzi Sherman rated it it was ok
Jun 27, 2016
Rory M.
Rory M. rated it liked it
Nov 08, 2012
Abby
Abby rated it it was amazing
Jan 18, 2014