Start by marking “Papa, Do You Love Me?” as Want to Read:
Papa, Do You Love Me?

Papa, Do You Love Me?

This follow-up to the best-selling Mama, Do You Love Me? (over one million copies sold in 15 languages!) captures the universal love between a father and child. Set in Africa and featuring the Maasai culture, the beautiful watercolor illustrations, lyrical text, and enduring message are sure to make this another instant classic.

Book Details: Format: Hardcover Publication D
Published April 21st 2005 by Chronicle Books

To ask other readers questions about Papa, Do You Love Me?, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Papa, Do You Love Me?

Tahera
Jul 10, 2012 Tahera rated it it was amazing
Shelves: children-s-books
A moving and poignant story about a fathers love for his son. A wonderful message of unconditional love.

The story begins with the sentence 'Papa do you love me?' and it is from this point that the child tests his fathers love through numerous 'what ifs' and imagined ordeals "what if I fell asleep and the hyenas killed my birthright cow?". But the father remains truthful and tender. With each answer we are reassured of his deep love for his son.

The story illuminates with the backdrop of Africa
Kathryn
Jul 01, 2009 Kathryn rated it really liked it
Not *quite* as good as "Mama, Do You Love Me?" but still a worthy title. Nice to see the father-son bond highlighted and also the focus on the Maasai culture is fascinating. Still recommended.
Rell
Dec 19, 2016 Rell rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: brichell-library
Great story of the unconditional love of a parent towards their child.

I don't think my daughter quite like the book because it wasn't our typical funny read before bed but this is a book that will remain on our bookshelf in hopes that she will read it and pass it along to her children. A great book to have
Joan Marie
Jan 25, 2016 Joan Marie rated it it was amazing
Love the cultural context illustrated in each example of how much the father loves the son.
Ryan
Dec 31, 2007 Ryan rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: fathers
If you have a son, get this book and read it to him.
Cristina
Sep 13, 2013 Cristina rated it really liked it
Assignment: Picture Book Project
Category: Picture Book Soak – Book I like
Recommending Source: None required

Review: A Maasai father and son take you through the Serengeti Plain in Africa giving you a glimpse of their culture and everyday life. As they venture through their land and look after their cattle, the boy, Tender Heart, asks his father in many different scenarios just how much he loves him. His Papa always has a response that demonstrates his tender and unconditional love.

I was drawn to
Mi Y.mun
This book contains a theme of unconditional father's love. Students can experience the universal message that comfort a boy in Africa. This book is a wonderful source to visit Africa especially Maasai culture. It provides cultural costumes, traditions and geography. Beautiful illustration from each page introduces students to new locations and different cultures. Teachers can use illustrations from each book to introduce different climates, landscapes and clothing. I love a glossary in the back. ...more
Hanna Mammo
Apr 08, 2014 Hanna Mammo rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: parents/teacher/children (birth-4)
This book was about a father and a son in Africa. The son ask his father "Papa, Do you love me?" and the father responds with examples of how much he loves his son. As a teacher I would use this book as a way to introduce children into using similes and metaphors in their writing(ex."I'll love you as long as the wildebeest run on the mara"). I think the students would take to this story well because the pictures are inviting and the story line is interesting to hear, the symbolic language (ex. " ...more
Collin Powell
Papa, Do You Love Me? is a picture book written by Barbara Joosse. This book starts off with a son asking his father if he loves him and of course the father says he does. The son then goes on to ask how much, how far and then is followed by a bunch of "what if" questions for the father to answer.

I liked the relationship between the father and the son. I would have to say that there is some difficult words in here for a picture book but I love the message none the less. This would be a great boo
Linda
Sep 16, 2012 Linda rated it it was amazing
My son-in-law likes his children to call him Papa, so I'm always on the lookout for books with "papa" in them so he can read them to his daughters, one & three. I didn't know about this book, and a companion one titled Mama, Do You Love Me. A friend and colleague shared them with me. This one is a beautiful story, including many cultural traditions and experiences in Kenya and Uganda of the Masai, like the answer to the question of 'how long will you love me?', the answer is "I'll love you a ...more
Kelsey
Sep 24, 2010 Kelsey rated it liked it
Age: preschool to third grade
Media: watercolor, ink
Illustrator Style: excellent movement of actions, array of situations from child's imagination, bold use of watercolor

Set in Africa, amidst the Maasai tribe, a son lays out an array of questions for his dad about the potential tests of his love for his son, from the son’s possible carelessness to the son’s threat of a lion attack. Although some words and the setting may be unfamiliar to a child or parent (2-page glossary provided in back), the c
Kay
Dec 13, 2016 Kay rated it liked it
very cultural but explains everything well in the back. not really that good for esl
Dana Burgess
Apr 23, 2012 Dana Burgess rated it it was amazing
Set in Africa, this book is full of cultural references and style. Not to worry, though, there is a glossary in the back that explains any unfamiliar words and activities. The illustrations are simple but colourful and engaging. The story of a young boy asking if his papa would still love him in a number of situations transcends cultures and all children will be able to relate to the feelings expressed. A fun and heartwarming story with the added benefit of teaching about African culture.
Elizabeth
Jun 25, 2008 Elizabeth rated it it was amazing
Love this book SO MUCH I want to marry it. That being said, Catherine and Santi are not at all into it. Yet. Hopefully that changes in the future because I would read it to them every night for the rest of my life if I could. FUN FACT: I cried the first time I read it (soon after having Catherine) and the first time I read it to Santi.
Tanika
Apr 16, 2011 Tanika rated it it was amazing
This is an interesting book that takes place in Africa. This story is about an inquisitive young boy asking his father about his love for him. I think this is a sweet story and a good book to read because it teaches that a parent’s love is unconditional no matter the circumstances. This book also has a glossary that teaches fact about the animals and plants mentioned in this story.
Whirl Girl
Jun 06, 2011 Whirl Girl rated it really liked it
Shelves: kenya, top-five
This is a book that we've had for a while. It is a conversation between a father and his son, and manages to feel genuine and informative at the same time. The setting takes the reader right to the Serengeti. The emotional heart of the book is something easy for children to identify with - being loved, protected, and guided by their father.
Ashley
Oct 15, 2013 Ashley rated it liked it
I prefer the storyline and illustrations in Mama, Do You Love Me? Its theme is Inuits, and it has a polar bear. This one seemed more difficult in its language and even had a glossary in the back for the African terms that could be confusing. Still, books celebrating the love of a parent for his child make me smile.
Lisa
Apr 15, 2015 Lisa rated it really liked it
The unconditional and everlasting love of a parent is illustrated in the book about a Massai father and son. 'Papa, what would you do if I was hot?...' Then I'd stretch out my blanket til you were cool in the shade.' Rich with color and tradition, this book is one to teach about love and family.
Amy
Jun 10, 2010 Amy rated it liked it
Shelves: picture-books
A sweet message of a father's unconditional love combined with exposure to Maasai culture and gorgeous watercolors of African landscapes make this a great read for a parent with young children. It is much like Joosse's earlier work, Mama, Do You Love Me? which featured an Inuit girl and her mother, and I'm glad that she wrote this addition about another culture and with a father-son relationship.
Laneika Cason
Sep 17, 2012 Laneika Cason rated it it was amazing
PB32. A beautifully written and illustrated book that expresses a father's love for his child. I also like that it gives a bit of a culture lesson as it provides a glossary of unfamiliar terms and context.
Crystal Allen
Feb 21, 2008 Crystal Allen rated it really liked it
Shelves: kidspicturebooks
A young boy asks his father all sorts of questions to see if his father would ever stop loving her. The boy finds out that even though he might make his father angry or sad, his father will always love him.

Also check out Mama, Do You Love Me? and Grandma Calls Me Beautiful.
Bethany
Feb 01, 2012 Bethany rated it it was amazing
Writing and illustrations were excellent. By reading about this papa and son in Africa, children will learn that parental love transcends culture and place. Read my full review at http://www.notwiddletwaddle.com/2012/...
Dolly
Jun 15, 2009 Dolly rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: parents reading with their children
Shelves: childrens, 2009, africa
This is a wonderful tale, not only about a father's love for his son, but also about the Maasai and their culture. It's a great book to read for Father's Day. We really enjoyed reading this book together.
Emily
Mar 10, 2014 Emily rated it really liked it
Shelves: picture-books
Sweet book, unique illustrations.
Katie Fitzgerald
Jun 16, 2011 Katie Fitzgerald rated it it was amazing
Read at Tales for Fours and Fives on 6/16/11: http://storytimesecrets.blogspot.com/...
Mary Taitt
May 24, 2013 Mary Taitt rated it really liked it
A Charming story about a little Masai boy who asks his father, "Do you love me?" It's a familiar theme set in a very different culture.
Luke
Jun 23, 2008 Luke rated it it was amazing
This one was given to me by Iana and again, maybe I'm a softy, but I still can't get through this book without crying like baby.
John
Apr 04, 2010 John rated it really liked it
Shelves: childrens-books
Big hit with my 2 year old.
ABC
Jul 19, 2011 ABC rated it really liked it
Shelves: younger-kids
There are a lot of difficult vocabulary words in this book. It has a glossary, but my son was not interested in learning the words. But this is a really cute book.
  • Beatrice's Goat
  • Mama Miti: Wangari Maathai and the Trees of Kenya
  • Shades of Black: A Celebration of Our Children
  • Wangari's Trees of Peace: A True Story from Africa
  • The Colors of Us
Barbara Joosse has written many books for children. Among them are Mama, Do You Love Me?, illustrated by Barbara Lavallee; and I Love You the Purplest, illustrated by Mary Whyte. She says, "When I was a little girl, I wished for two things — a best friend, and something so ferocious it would scare away the monsters under my bed. And so I have written Lovabye Dragon. I think maybe it’s for little m ...more
More about Barbara Joosse...