Start by marking “Papa, Do You Love Me?” as Want to Read:
Papa, Do You Love Me?

Papa, Do You Love Me?

4.06 of 5 stars 4.06  ·  rating details  ·  212 ratings  ·  30 reviews
This follow-up to the best-selling Mama, Do You Love Me? (over one million copies sold in 15 languages!) captures the universal love between a father and child. Set in Africa and featuring the Maasai culture, the beautiful watercolor illustrations, lyrical text, and enduring message are sure to make this another instant classic.
Published April 21st 2005 by Chronicle Books

To ask other readers questions about Papa, Do You Love Me?, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Papa, Do You Love Me?

Cutting for Stone by Abraham VergheseYohannes Ishi by Nabse BamatoSeason of Migration to the North by Tayeb SalihThe Snows Of Kilimanjaro And Other Stories by Ernest HemingwayThere Is No Me Without You by Melissa Fay Greene
East Africa
90th out of 163 books — 46 voters
The Snowy Day by Ezra Jack KeatsThe Story of Ferdinand by Munro LeafWhere the Wild Things Are by Maurice SendakAnansi the Spider by Gerald McDermottAnd Tango Makes Three by Justin Richardson
Multicultural Children's Library
128th out of 197 books — 17 voters

More lists with this book...

A moving and poignant story about a fathers love for his son. A wonderful message of unconditional love.

The story begins with the sentence 'Papa do you love me?' and it is from this point that the child tests his fathers love through numerous 'what ifs' and imagined ordeals "what if I fell asleep and the hyenas killed my birthright cow?". But the father remains truthful and tender. With each answer we are reassured of his deep love for his son.

The story illuminates with the backdrop of Africa
Not *quite* as good as "Mama, Do You Love Me?" but still a worthy title. Nice to see the father-son bond highlighted and also the focus on the Maasai culture is fascinating. Still recommended.
Hanna Mammo
Apr 08, 2014 Hanna Mammo rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: parents/teacher/children (birth-4)
This book was about a father and a son in Africa. The son ask his father "Papa, Do you love me?" and the father responds with examples of how much he loves his son. As a teacher I would use this book as a way to introduce children into using similes and metaphors in their writing(ex."I'll love you as long as the wildebeest run on the mara"). I think the students would take to this story well because the pictures are inviting and the story line is interesting to hear, the symbolic language (ex. " ...more
Dec 31, 2007 Ryan rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: fathers
If you have a son, get this book and read it to him.
Assignment: Picture Book Project
Category: Picture Book Soak – Book I like
Recommending Source: None required

Review: A Maasai father and son take you through the Serengeti Plain in Africa giving you a glimpse of their culture and everyday life. As they venture through their land and look after their cattle, the boy, Tender Heart, asks his father in many different scenarios just how much he loves him. His Papa always has a response that demonstrates his tender and unconditional love.

I was drawn to
Mi Y.mun
This book contains a theme of unconditional father's love. Students can experience the universal message that comfort a boy in Africa. This book is a wonderful source to visit Africa especially Maasai culture. It provides cultural costumes, traditions and geography. Beautiful illustration from each page introduces students to new locations and different cultures. Teachers can use illustrations from each book to introduce different climates, landscapes and clothing. I love a glossary in the back. ...more
My son-in-law likes his children to call him Papa, so I'm always on the lookout for books with "papa" in them so he can read them to his daughters, one & three. I didn't know about this book, and a companion one titled Mama, Do You Love Me. A friend and colleague shared them with me. This one is a beautiful story, including many cultural traditions and experiences in Kenya and Uganda of the Masai, like the answer to the question of 'how long will you love me?', the answer is "I'll love you a ...more
The unconditional and everlasting love of a parent is illustrated in the book about a Massai father and son. 'Papa, what would you do if I was hot?...' Then I'd stretch out my blanket til you were cool in the shade.' Rich with color and tradition, this book is one to teach about love and family.
Age: preschool to third grade
Media: watercolor, ink
Illustrator Style: excellent movement of actions, array of situations from child's imagination, bold use of watercolor

Set in Africa, amidst the Maasai tribe, a son lays out an array of questions for his dad about the potential tests of his love for his son, from the son’s possible carelessness to the son’s threat of a lion attack. Although some words and the setting may be unfamiliar to a child or parent (2-page glossary provided in back), the c
Excellent for father's day story time
Sweet book, unique illustrations.
Dana Burgess
Set in Africa, this book is full of cultural references and style. Not to worry, though, there is a glossary in the back that explains any unfamiliar words and activities. The illustrations are simple but colourful and engaging. The story of a young boy asking if his papa would still love him in a number of situations transcends cultures and all children will be able to relate to the feelings expressed. A fun and heartwarming story with the added benefit of teaching about African culture.
A sweet message of a father's unconditional love combined with exposure to Maasai culture and gorgeous watercolors of African landscapes make this a great read for a parent with young children. It is much like Joosse's earlier work, Mama, Do You Love Me? which featured an Inuit girl and her mother, and I'm glad that she wrote this addition about another culture and with a father-son relationship.
This is an interesting book that takes place in Africa. This story is about an inquisitive young boy asking his father about his love for him. I think this is a sweet story and a good book to read because it teaches that a parent’s love is unconditional no matter the circumstances. This book also has a glossary that teaches fact about the animals and plants mentioned in this story.
Whirl Girl
This is a book that we've had for a while. It is a conversation between a father and his son, and manages to feel genuine and informative at the same time. The setting takes the reader right to the Serengeti. The emotional heart of the book is something easy for children to identify with - being loved, protected, and guided by their father.
Love this book SO MUCH I want to marry it. That being said, Catherine and Santi are not at all into it. Yet. Hopefully that changes in the future because I would read it to them every night for the rest of my life if I could. FUN FACT: I cried the first time I read it (soon after having Catherine) and the first time I read it to Santi.
I prefer the storyline and illustrations in Mama, Do You Love Me? Its theme is Inuits, and it has a polar bear. This one seemed more difficult in its language and even had a glossary in the back for the African terms that could be confusing. Still, books celebrating the love of a parent for his child make me smile.
Crystal Allen
A young boy asks his father all sorts of questions to see if his father would ever stop loving her. The boy finds out that even though he might make his father angry or sad, his father will always love him.

Also check out Mama, Do You Love Me? and Grandma Calls Me Beautiful.
Writing and illustrations were excellent. By reading about this papa and son in Africa, children will learn that parental love transcends culture and place. Read my full review at
Laneika Cason
PB32. A beautifully written and illustrated book that expresses a father's love for his child. I also like that it gives a bit of a culture lesson as it provides a glossary of unfamiliar terms and context.
Jun 15, 2009 Dolly rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: parents reading with their children
Shelves: africa, 2009, childrens
This is a wonderful tale, not only about a father's love for his son, but also about the Maasai and their culture. It's a great book to read for Father's Day. We really enjoyed reading this book together.
There are a lot of difficult vocabulary words in this book. It has a glossary, but my son was not interested in learning the words. But this is a really cute book.
Mary Taitt
A Charming story about a little Masai boy who asks his father, "Do you love me?" It's a familiar theme set in a very different culture.
This one was given to me by Iana and again, maybe I'm a softy, but I still can't get through this book without crying like baby.
Papa do you love me is a sweet book! I have loved this ever since I was a little girl.
Worked well for read aloud, interesting illustrations...text more about love than africa.
Great sequel to the Mama, Do You Love Me reinforces the love you always theme.
Big hit with my 2 year old.
  • Beatrice's Goat
  • Why the Sun and the Moon Live in the Sky
  • The Bat Boy and His Violin
  • All the Things I Love About You
  • Visiting Day
Barbara Joosse has written many books for children. Among them are Mama, Do You Love Me?, illustrated by Barbara Lavallee; and I Love You the Purplest, illustrated by Mary Whyte. She says, "When I was a little girl, I wished for two things — a best friend, and something so ferocious it would scare away the monsters under my bed. And so I have written Lovabye Dragon. I think maybe it’s for little m ...more
More about Barbara Joosse...
Mama, Do You Love Me? I Love You the Purplest Lovabye Dragon Please Is a Good Word to Say Hooray Parade