Start by marking “The Two Reds” as Want to Read:
The Two Reds

The Two Reds

2.61 of 5 stars 2.61  ·  rating details  ·  31 ratings  ·  10 reviews
Published June 1st 1950 by Harcourt

To ask other readers questions about The Two Reds, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Two Reds

The Lion and the Mouse by Jerry PinkneyMadeline by Ludwig BemelmansWhere the Wild Things Are by Maurice SendakFlotsam by David WiesnerMake Way for Ducklings by Robert McCloskey
List for #nerdcott
238th out of 335 books — 34 voters
Madeline by Ludwig BemelmansThe Stinky Cheese Man by Jon ScieszkaBlueberries for Sal by Robert McCloskeyDon't Let the Pigeon Drive the Bus! by Mo WillemsStone Soup by Marcia Brown
Caldecott Honor Books
189th out of 246 books — 153 voters

More lists with this book...

Rachel
I wasn’t a huge fan of their other book, Finders Keepers, but since this is also a Caldecott book, 1951 Caldecott Honors this time, I figured I would give it a try. It was a charming story. The Two Reds of the title are a young boy named Red (not his real name but he has red hair) and a homeless cat (whose real name equivalent is hilarious) also named Red that live in the same neighborhood. The boy and cat don’t like each other because they both like fish, but for different reasons. It is early ...more
Paul
Only three colors in this book, including the one you certainly expect: red (also yellow and black). Red the boy and Red the cat share the same street, with the cat looking for fish, including the boy's pet fish. The cat's grab from a fishmonger's stand and the boy's sneak peek of a neighborhood's secret club leads to both being chased, a massive pileup, and both finding their way home safely with a truce over the fish. Very expressive drawings, with the chief being the full-page portrait of the ...more
Stefanie
It wasn't a very good story, and the art is pretty terrible, and the gang initiation that the boy Red watches has an already racist drawing that looks like a kid is about to be raped by another kid, so overall I'm pretty creeped out.
Sam
1951 Caldecott Honor; Favorite Illustration: the first page when the two reds are giving each other a wary look.
In the city there are two reds: a boy and a cat. Both are wary of each other, but inadvertently help each other out of a sticky situation and become unlikely friends.
This story was cute, but the illustration style just isn't my favorite.
Lorna
1951 Caldecott Honor

Favorite illustration: The full page, image of Red the Cat's head.

Favorite line: "His real name was known only to cats. I think it was something like Mr. Furpatto Purrcatto."

Kid-appeal: I like the illustrations with the modern, graphic design-style, but didn't care for the story of Red the Boy and Red the Cat, who didn't really like each other. There's also some stereotyping of Native Americans as warriors, as portrayed by kids, that makes this feel very dated.

Laura5
I am in love with the illustrations of the boy and the cat in the first few pages - would love to own a print of the cat page. But I am not in love with the white children who dress as stereotypes of Native Americans in the Seventh Street [Smoke] Signal Senders. Sigh.
Mary
Not entirely sure why they became friends, other than that crashing in to one another made it possible for them to escape those chasing them. Kind of a slight story. But the illustrations had that mid-century modern feel that's kind of cool.
Molly
This is the story of a boy and a cat both named Red who become friends. I found the story boring and I was not a fan of the fact that there are white boys dressed as stereotypical Native Americans. However, I really did like the pictures.
Brindi
1951 Caldecott Honor
Aiyah
Aiyah marked it as to-read
Aug 02, 2015
Grade 1
Grade 1 marked it as to-read
Apr 24, 2015
Beth
Beth added it
Apr 09, 2015
Dana
Dana marked it as to-read
Feb 23, 2015
Shuyan
Shuyan marked it as to-read
Feb 21, 2015
April
April marked it as to-read
Feb 17, 2015
Sharron Peters
Sharron Peters marked it as to-read
Jan 16, 2015
Rodney Figueiredo
Rodney Figueiredo marked it as to-read
Oct 23, 2014
Jenni
Jenni marked it as to-read
Oct 15, 2014
Beverly
Beverly marked it as to-read
Sep 22, 2014
Becky B
Becky B marked it as to-read
Sep 03, 2014
Kate
Kate marked it as to-read
Aug 11, 2014
Sarah marked it as to-read
Jun 25, 2014
Anne
Anne marked it as to-read
May 31, 2014
Jowenskids
Jowenskids marked it as to-read
Mar 25, 2014
Bertie
Bertie marked it as to-read
Mar 19, 2014
« previous 1 3 next »
Anthropologist who published young adult novels and a thesis under his own name, and children's books under the pseudonym "Will" in collaboration with artist Nicholas Mordvinoff.
More about William Lipkind...
Finders Keepers The Little Tiny Rooster Boy with a Harpoon Boy of the Islands Chaga