The Mighty Hunter

The Mighty Hunter

2.75 of 5 stars 2.75  ·  rating details  ·  28 ratings  ·  12 reviews
The story of a young Indian boy who wants to go hunting, but a meeting with a hungry bear causes him to think he had better go to school.
School & Library Binding, 49 pages
Published August 1st 1967 by Atheneum (first published 1943)

To ask other readers questions about The Mighty Hunter, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Mighty Hunter

The Lion and the Mouse by Jerry PinkneyWhere the Wild Things Are by Maurice SendakFlotsam by David WiesnerMadeline by Ludwig BemelmansMake Way for Ducklings by Robert McCloskey
List for #nerdcott
194th out of 325 books — 32 voters
Madeline by Ludwig BemelmansThe Stinky Cheese Man by Jon ScieszkaBlueberries for Sal by Robert McCloskeyDon't Let the Pigeon Drive the Bus! by Mo WillemsClick, Clack, Moo by Doreen Cronin
Caldecott Honor Books
200th out of 238 books — 134 voters

More lists with this book...

Rea K
This was my favorite book as a little kid. The only thing that this book made me want to do was be a mighty hunter. I got the cute little feather head-thing from my fair and my dad made me a bow out of a hanger. Still have a worn out copy from 1951. And by worn out, I mean the cover's come off and been repaired with duct tape, some little kids (not me) got into their heads to color on all but like five of the pages, and I'm incredibly lucky that it has all of the pages.
About the subject matter....more
Rachel
I'm never quite sure how to analytically handle books on Native Americans from before the 1970s, as I know most of them were very stereotypical and not very accurate. The book won a 1944 Caldecott Honor, though the only book I really liked from that year was "A Child's Good Night Book". The story is about Little Brave Heart, a Plains Indian (not sure from what tribe) who decides that instead of attending school, he will go hunting. He starts by hunting a mouse, who leads him to a prairie dog and...more
Paul
Given that this book was published in 1943, it isn't surprising that the stereotypes of Native peoples are outdated. (We are so much more sophisticated and grown up now!) The underlying story is clever, and the book serves as a historical marker for American racial attitudes. I might have enjoyed this when I was young in the '50s or maybe even my sons when they were young - I don't think it will probably have much traction with children today. 2.7 stars.
Aiden Dunnigan
The Mighty Hunter is a great book. It not-so-blatantly teaches the importance of an education, while at the same time showing how humans should not hunt for sport and use animals as trophies, but to coexist with nature and if the need for food from animal meat or warmth from animal hides, for example, is it then acceptable to kill something. I thought it was a morally sound and well written bit of children's literature.
Lorna
1944 Caldecott Honor

Favorite illustration: p. 4-5 Where Little Brave Heart is sitting in front of the buffalo hide with picture writing.

Kid-appeal: I do like the familiar "Don't eat me . . . there is somebody bigger than me to eat" story line, but not at the expense of a heavily stereotyped book.
Laura5
I will just say a copy of this book is kept as part of a stereotypes collection at University of Arkansas at Little Rock and leave it at that:
Mary
Cumulative tale. I wonder how accurate this portrayal of Native Americans is. I suspect not very. The illustrations were fine, but nothing spectacular.
Mckinley
Ok, well. If one takes out the Indian issues it's a fun story. But I couldn't not read this through a lens of white hegemony.
Caldecott honor.
Molly
While I get that this story is trying to promote education and hunting for sport, I just couldn't get past the stereotypes of Native Americans.
Brindi
1944 Caldecott Honor

I started to get annoyed with it...
Becky B
Becky B marked it as to-read
Sep 03, 2014
Kate
Kate marked it as to-read
Aug 11, 2014
Sam
Sam marked it as to-read
Jul 09, 2014
Sarah marked it as to-read
Jun 25, 2014
Annamarie Nersessian
Annamarie Nersessian marked it as to-read
Jun 09, 2014
Crystal
Crystal marked it as to-read
Jun 07, 2014
Heather
Heather marked it as to-read
Aug 11, 2014
Krystal
Krystal marked it as to-read
Apr 09, 2014
Margo
Margo marked it as to-read
Feb 01, 2014
Cat Fletcher
Cat Fletcher marked it as to-read
Oct 22, 2013
Kristine Pratt
Kristine Pratt marked it as to-read
Oct 22, 2013
Fjóla
Fjóla marked it as to-read
Apr 16, 2013
The Big Snow Cock-A-Doodle-Doo Chicken Little and Little Half Chick Snow in the City Picture Book of Mother Goose