Start by marking “The Mighty Hunter” as Want to Read:
The Mighty Hunter

The Mighty Hunter

The story of a young Indian boy who wants to go hunting, but a meeting with a hungry bear causes him to think he had better go to school.
School & Library Binding, 49 pages
Published August 1st 1967 by Atheneum (first published 1943)

To ask other readers questions about The Mighty Hunter, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Mighty Hunter

Cassandra Gelvin
Dec 06, 2016 Cassandra Gelvin rated it liked it
That guy is so much tastier than me.

I'm not really sure, but this book just feels racist to me. It was written in 1943, so it's definitely rather dated. It also kind of feels like a fable with the preachy tone.

There's a little Native American boy. His mom wants him to go to school so that he'll grow up to become a wise man and a good leader. But he also wants to be a hunter, like his dad, who didn't go to school. He thinks that hunting would be a lot more fun than going to school. So he skips sc
Rea K
Feb 22, 2014 Rea K rated it really liked it
This was my favorite book as a little kid. The only thing that this book made me want to do was be a mighty hunter. I got the cute little feather head-thing from my fair and my dad made me a bow out of a hanger. Still have a worn out copy from 1951. And by worn out, I mean the cover's come off and been repaired with duct tape, some little kids (not me) got into their heads to color on all but like five of the pages, and I'm incredibly lucky that it has all of the pages.
About the subject matter.
Rachel
I'm never quite sure how to analytically handle books on Native Americans from before the 1970s, as I know most of them were very stereotypical and not very accurate. The book won a 1944 Caldecott Honor, though the only book I really liked from that year was "A Child's Good Night Book". The story is about Little Brave Heart, a Plains Indian (not sure from what tribe) who decides that instead of attending school, he will go hunting. He starts by hunting a mouse, who leads him to a prairie dog and ...more
Aiden Dunnigan
Sep 04, 2012 Aiden Dunnigan rated it it was amazing
The Mighty Hunter is a great book. It not-so-blatantly teaches the importance of an education, while at the same time showing how humans should not hunt for sport and use animals as trophies, but to coexist with nature and if the need for food from animal meat or warmth from animal hides, for example, is it then acceptable to kill something. I thought it was a morally sound and well written bit of children's literature.
Paul
Feb 19, 2013 Paul rated it liked it
Given that this book was published in 1943, it isn't surprising that the stereotypes of Native peoples are outdated. (We are so much more sophisticated and grown up now!) The underlying story is clever, and the book serves as a historical marker for American racial attitudes. I might have enjoyed this when I was young in the '50s or maybe even my sons when they were young - I don't think it will probably have much traction with children today. 2.7 stars.
Lorna
Feb 13, 2012 Lorna rated it it was ok
1944 Caldecott Honor

Favorite illustration: p. 4-5 Where Little Brave Heart is sitting in front of the buffalo hide with picture writing.

Kid-appeal: I do like the familiar "Don't eat me . . . there is somebody bigger than me to eat" story line, but not at the expense of a heavily stereotyped book.
Laura5
Jan 14, 2012 Laura5 rated it did not like it
I will just say a copy of this book is kept as part of a stereotypes collection at University of Arkansas at Little Rock and leave it at that:
Mckinley
Sep 07, 2016 Mckinley rated it it was ok
Shelves: picture, caldecott, indian
Ok, well. If one takes out the Indian issues it's a fun story. But I couldn't not read this through a lens of white hegemony.
Caldecott honor.
Mary
May 22, 2012 Mary rated it it was ok
Cumulative tale. I wonder how accurate this portrayal of Native Americans is. I suspect not very. The illustrations were fine, but nothing spectacular.
Katie Fitzgerald
Read for #nerdcott. Reviewed in Caldecott Challenge Post #60: http://storytimesecrets.blogspot.com/...
Jacob Hutton
Oct 27, 2014 Jacob Hutton rated it liked it
Shelves: edrd-314
Different than I was expecting but represented some culture different than a white middle class family. Also liked the talking animals.
Molly
Apr 18, 2016 Molly rated it it was ok
While I get that this story is trying to promote education and hunting for sport, I just couldn't get past the stereotypes of Native Americans.
Leslie Fisher
Leslie Fisher rated it liked it
Mar 08, 2014
Sarah rated it really liked it
Jul 15, 2015
Ann Williams
Jul 05, 2016 Ann Williams rated it really liked it
Beautiful illustrations.
Elyse
Elyse rated it liked it
Mar 03, 2016
Heather
Heather rated it it was amazing
May 19, 2015
Hannahlily
Hannahlily rated it really liked it
Jun 01, 2009
Ed
Ed rated it really liked it
Jan 11, 2012
Sarah rated it it was ok
Mar 18, 2008
Tiffany
Tiffany rated it did not like it
Apr 06, 2016
Angie
Angie rated it liked it
Dec 28, 2016
Cherie
Cherie rated it it was ok
Dec 27, 2016
Nov 13, 2012
Brindi
Jun 10, 2013 Brindi rated it it was ok
1944 Caldecott Honor

I started to get annoyed with it...
Katie
Katie rated it liked it
Feb 02, 2014
Michael Fitzgerald
Michael Fitzgerald rated it liked it
Jan 01, 2017
Abby
Abby rated it liked it
Dec 30, 2013
Laurel T.
Laurel T. rated it liked it
Feb 25, 2015