Start by marking “The Forest Pool” as Want to Read:
The Forest Pool

The Forest Pool

2.67 of 5 stars 2.67  ·  rating details  ·  40 ratings  ·  21 reviews
"This is the story of two Mexican boys, Diego and Popo. They seek the ancient tree-lizard, called the iguana, that lives in a pool deep in the green forest."
Published January 1938 by Longman Green

To ask other readers questions about The Forest Pool, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Forest Pool

The Polar Express by Chris Van AllsburgAnimalia by Graeme BaseThe Mitten by Jan BrettStellaluna by Janell CannonThe Eleventh Hour by Graeme Base
Children's Picture Books With Beautiful illustrations
401st out of 1,139 books — 946 voters
The Lion and the Mouse by Jerry PinkneyMadeline by Ludwig BemelmansWhere the Wild Things Are by Maurice SendakFlotsam by David WiesnerMake Way for Ducklings by Robert McCloskey
List for #nerdcott
167th out of 335 books — 34 voters

More lists with this book...

Jen
I did enjoy this book. The full page illustrations are beautiful and reminded me of other pieces of Mexican artwork I have seen. The story was a bit long and drawn out, but for the most part, I did enjoy it.
Cathy Outten
Like I am finding with many of these older picture books, this book is a story with illustrations, much different than the picture books of today which are usually far more image driven, with text less important, if there is any at all.
I like the story ok, it is nice to read out loud, with the names of the kids. The pictures are lovely, if not particularly striking.
I find it interesting that many of these older Caldecott books are "multicultural" (although I don't know of the authenticity of it
Rachel
Another book I read for the Caldecott Challenge, I had never heard of the book or author before finally getting a chance to read it in my local public library's special collections. This book won a 1939 Caldecott Honor, though out of the three I've read from this year, this is my second favorite after "Wee Gillis". It is the simple story of two Mexican boys named Diego and Popo, who want to catch an iguana to add to their zoo, which so far includes a parrot named Polly. The author used very vivi ...more
Lafcadio
This is a very text-heavy book for being a picture book. There are many more full pages of text than there are pictures.

But I think the thing that turned me off right away to this story is that it starts out setting up the main character as a Mexican boy who is very typical, and he has a parrot named Polly. Polly is not a good name for a parrot owned by a Mexican boy. Polly is a name for a parrot that comes from an English speaker with limited imagination. The name Polly would not be pronounced
Abby
Soooo loooong...! I had to offer my niece $20 in order to get her to agree to read this. I think she found it kinda interesting once we got into it but she still accepted the $20.
Stefanie
A rambling story, but I liked the artwork and the ending.
Paul
I wish the copy I checked out had the book cover featured above - it is gorgeous like all the color paintings inside. The story about a Mexican boy and his parents, friend, a parrot, and an iguana is okay, but long on words (readers to young listeners be forewarned). The small single-color companion illustrations add texture to the production. The dreams, the talking parrot, and the wise iguana give the story its mystery. (This is the only children's book I've read where the back side of the ful ...more
Robert
A delightful story about two young Mexican boys in search of an iguana to keep as a pet. The story is written in a lovely manner and the illustrations are vibrant and colorful. Although a bit wordy by modern standards (I am convinced that children of yesteryear were much more literate than those of today) the story is fun and the children are amiably pleasant in their peaceful native land. I also appreciated the little life lesson the children learn at the end of the story. Well deserving of the ...more
Anna Zbacnik
Although the illustrations are gorgeous, (I would love to own a print) I found the story to be quite long (as is the case for many of the Caldecott books for this era). I love how the pictures take up the entire page, and have so many colors compared to other books from the 30s. It was also fascinating to mr that the back side of the illustrations were blank. Book printing had come a long way.
Lorna
1939 Caldecott Honor

Favorite illustration: The boy climbing out onto the tree branch with the iquana

Kid-appeal: The story is probably a bit long for my liking and probably not satisfying for today's readers from a plot perspective, but the illustrations are stunning, and I'd rate them as a 5. They are done very much in the style of Mexican muralist Diego Rivera; gorgeous.
Laura5
I wavered between 2 and 3 stars on this one. I do like the insert pages of full color illustrations. They remind me of Mexican muralists.
Video review here: http://liblaura5.blogspot.com/2012/01...
Mary
Long for a picture book, but the illustrations are warm and bright. Diego and Popo go off in search of an iguana they want to capture and keep in their "zoo." But the iguana, and Diego's parrot Polly, are guarding a secret!
Molly
As with many of the Caldecott books of this era, the story was far too long and I don't see kids have the attention span for it. However, the illustrations are absolutely stunning and I think it deserved the honor.
Alyson (Kid Lit Frenzy)
Caldecott Honor 1939 - Did children have longer attention spans in the 30's and 40's? Actually enjoyed the art in this one and the copy I read looked to be from 1938. But the story was very text heavy.
Rachel
I love the density and richness of the colored illustrations but the story leaves many aspects hanging and it lacks some background information that would add richness to the setting.
Crystal
1939 Caldecott Honor

I actually liked this one. I enjoyed the bright colors and the storyline was interesting to a certain degree.
Mckinley
Don't know that many stories of south america
Caldecott honor
Amanda
For the year published, the illustrations and colors were stunning.
Brindi
Samantha
I liked the illustrations.
Paige Bickerstaff
Paige Bickerstaff marked it as to-read
Jul 01, 2015
Grade 1
Grade 1 marked it as to-read
Apr 26, 2015
Dana
Dana marked it as to-read
Feb 23, 2015
April
April marked it as to-read
Feb 17, 2015
Sharron Peters
Sharron Peters marked it as to-read
Jan 16, 2015