One Nation Under God: The History of Prayer in America

One Nation Under God: The History of Prayer in America

3.05 of 5 stars 3.05  ·  rating details  ·  21 ratings  ·  10 reviews
In this highly original approach to the history of the United States, James Moore focuses on the extraordinary role that prayer has played in every area of American life, from the time of the first settlers to the present day and beyond.
A stirring chronicle of the spiritual life of a nation, "One Nation Under God "shows how the faith of Americans--from the founding father...more
Audio CD
Published November 15th 2005 by Books on Tape (first published 2005)

Lawrence
An thoroughly researched book that contains many new and at times surprising facts about the religious commitment of many figures from American history. The author debunks some old myths and highlights the prayer life of some men and women that have traditionally not been viewed as religious. It is long, and there are places where it bogs down to perfunctory listing of names and dates but it is a must read for anyone who claims to have a knowledge of American history.
Brianna
A scholarly history of prayer in America. Because it covers such a vast topic, however, the book presents itself as more of a chronology of every instance of prayer from American national figures rather than a synthesis of the meaning of prayer in American history. This would make a good starting point for those looking for ideas to research further in American prayer life.
C.interruptus
This book is well meaning and earnest and the author has collected a lot of information, but I had to give up around disc 3. Probably it would be more interesting to a Christian. Even so, this author's point seemed to be "Prayer has been very very important in American history." I can't make out how that could be riveting reading even for the most devout of Christians.
Megan
Jun 28, 2008 Megan rated it 2 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Mom (Petrea)
Recommended to Megan by: Bookgroup
Shelves: bookgroup
I anticipated a great read, and found that it was rather boring. It ended up being a great overview of history, built around the common theme of prayer. Somehow, though, every time I'd start reading this book I'd fall asleep. I feel like I should give it another go down the road. I didn't finish it before book group, but we still had a great discussion.
Ashley
I liked the idea of the book. I liked the book group discussion our book group had about prayer and quotes taken from the book...but the book itself was hard for me to get in to. To be honest, everytime I opened it and began to read, it put me to sleep, but again, I think it made an awesome book group discussion.
Karen
I did this as an audio book, which I do not recommend. I had some long drives home where the content was so dry that I thought I might dose off behind the wheel. A great book in theory, less so in execution. I quit about halfway through.
Arie
first part of the book was interesting then i think the author was stretching his points in the chapters dealing with the last 50 yrs or so. I wouldn't recommend the book.
Andy Mitchell
This book starts brilliantly, bogs down in the middle, and ends with a plea for an acknowledgement of the nearly universal desire of Americans to pray publicly.
Beth Olson shultz
The topic was interesting, but the writing was so so.
Cindy Cutcher
Cindy Cutcher marked it as to-read
Apr 02, 2014
Lydia
Lydia added it
Mar 11, 2014
Amber Harris
Amber Harris marked it as to-read
Mar 11, 2014
Mark Ó Congalaig
Mark Ó Congalaig marked it as to-read
Jan 14, 2014
Melinda Larsen
Melinda Larsen marked it as to-read
Jan 04, 2014
Joey
Joey is currently reading it
Nov 18, 2013
Kme_17
Kme_17 added it
Jul 22, 2013
Shay Gabriel
Shay Gabriel marked it as to-read
Jan 01, 2013
Jenn
Jenn marked it as to-read
Nov 17, 2012
The Treasury Of American Prayers Prayer in America: A Spiritual History of Our Nation American Prayer