Start by marking “The Other Way Round (Out of the Hitler Time, #2)” as Want to Read:
The Other Way Round (Out of the Hitler Time, #2)

The Other Way Round (Out of the Hitler Time #2)

3.91 of 5 stars 3.91  ·  rating details  ·  455 ratings  ·  35 reviews
It is hard enough being a teenager in London during the Blitz, finding yourself in love and wondering every night whether you will survive the bombs. But it is even harder for Anna, who is still officially classified as an “enemy alien”. Those bombs are coming from Germany – the country that was once her own. If Hitler invades, can she and her beloved refugee family possib ...more
Published 1989 by Collins (first published 1975)

Simon
Nov 16, 2014 Simon rated it 5 of 5 stars
Shelves: teen
My copy of this is titled Bombs on Aunt Dainty. It's a brilliant sequel to When Hitler Stole Pink Rabbit.

Now Anna is in London. (This is quite strange: I know almost all of the places she mentions, but in a later incarnation.) The war is on and she's in the middle of tbe blitz - a German refugee. It's a beautiful coming-of-age novel. Her family is in extreme poverty, she leaves school, does a secretarial course, finds work. She starts art classes, falls in love with her art teacher, and becomes
Miche Hart
Absolutely brilliant. I loved how Anna is trying to deal with adolescence, finding herself, love, her family, supporting herself and her family through the absolute poverty they have to deal with. In the first book Anna says she will never feel like a refugee as long as she is with her family, then at the start of this book you immediately find out that she is no longer living with them which is quite interesting. An excellent book about coming of age during WW2.
LH Johnson
The sequel to When Hitler Stole Pink Rabbit, The Other Way Round is a darker, more sober book. Anna is now in London, war is hitting home, and she is growing up. Adolescence is not easy, and in the middle of wartime, it is even less.

Kerr's writing remains ineffable. She is precise, concise, and exact. Each word has a weight, a value to it, that creates a deceptively simple and yet intensely acute effect. Anna / Judith is growing up. She is in love, she is out of love, she is hurt, she is happy,
Megan Wiffen
Bombs on Aunt Dainty follows a teenager called Anna. Her and her family left Germany and moved to England in 1933 to escape Hitler. The story follows Anna as she tries to settle in London. It is World War II and it shows how she copes with living and growing up in a new country as a German and how her and her family deal with the London bombings.
We see how she goes from living with an American family, goes to Secretary College, moves into a hotel with her parents, gets her own job and joins an
Claudia Starbuck
Brilliant sequel. If you enjoyed "When Hitler Stole Pink Rabbit" then you will find this next book equally fascinating. Kerr is a fantastic writer and describes life throughout WW2 and the Blitz in vivid detail, without being overly descriptive. This is a quick and easy read suitable for readers of all ages. I'm looking forward to reading the last book in this trilogy - "A Small Person, Far Away".
Charlie
Not as good as the first one.

I HATED John cotmore (or whatever his last name was). I don't know how Anna could ever fall for such an old, awful person. He's about 40, and she's 18 for crying out loud!
Even from the start, he just seemed to have 'danger' written all over him.
It made my liking for Anna go down.

Also, Anna seemed really immature for her age.

But other than that, a good book.
David Lowther
This is the second in Judith Kerr's autobiographical trilogy and follows when Hitler Stole Pink Rabbit. In Bombs on Aunt Dainty Anna (Judith) is living as a refugee from Nazi Germany with her mother and father and brother in blitz-torn London.

It is, of course, beautifully written and is quite the best account of the lives of refugees from Nazi Germany that I've read. Judith recalls the growing pains of an adolescent girl, falling in love for the first time, seeking a job and earning money and th
Ali
I loved this, perhaps even more than When Hitler Stole Pink Rabbit. It takes Anna from 15 to about 19, through the end of her schooling and into her first job, along with her discovery of art (this was particularly well-described). It was interesting to read about the Blitz, and later the Doodlebugs, from her perspective, and although I have heard many stories from my parents' experience I learned quite a lot too.
Michelle
Bombs on Aunt Dainty followed the lives of Anna and her family in London after their move from Paris. It started off few years after the ending of When Hitler Stole Pink Rabbit with a sixteen years old Anna, separated from her family due to financial circumstances.

I found this book to be more exciting than When Hitler Stole Pink Rabbit as the events here occurred during the war. Furthermore, there were also mentions of popular authors of the era such as Agatha Christie, Dorothy L. Sayers, P.G.
Pauline
I couldn't stop at reading two of Judith Kerr's books; I had to learn about the author herself. I find her books so enlightening about the WWII years and since my dad served in England during WWII and his mum was from England, I feel a general affinity with the topic.

This book continued a family's journey away from Germany to a new life. I wish I could sit down and talk to Ms Kerr--I'd ask how much of the story was autobiographical. From things I've read, it sounds like most of the story is rel
Joann
Nachdem ich "Als Hitler das rosa Kanninchen stahl" vor vielen Jahren mal gelesen habe, habe ich jetzt erst die Fortsetzung zur Hand genommen. Das Buch hat mir gut gefallen, es erzählt die Geschichte von Anna und ihrer Familie, die den zweiten Weltkrieg als Flüchtlinge in London erleben. Ich fand es besonders interessant, die damaligen Geschehnisse aus einer weniger bekannten Perspektive kennenzulernen und werde wohl bald noch den abschliessenden Teil dieser Reihe lesen.
the never-ending library
The best thing about Bombs on Aunt Dainty is the main character, Anna. I really felt as though I was living her life – being frustrated at the measly food rations, her fear that at any moment a bomb could kill everyone she is close to, and not forgetting the first completely humiliating experience of unrequited love.

In fact the most wonderful aspect to Kerr’s tale is the characters’ refusal to let the war dampen their spirits. Instead they live each day to the full – enjoying small pleasures and
Jazzy Lemon
Judith Kerr continues her life story as Anna in this sequel that picks up not long from where When Hitler Stole Pink Rabbit left off. Anna has learnt English and lives with her parents in London whilst the bombs rain down during World War II. She gets a job and develops her artistic skills with night classes. As I have had a copy of The Tiger Who Came To Tea sitting beside me as I read about her delight when her teacher praises her efforts and how the pavement rang under her feet all the way hom ...more
Fran Medina Rosado
“Pues, ¿qué te creías? ¿Que iba a volver endurecido y amargado? ¿Que no volvería a sonreír? Yo no cambio. Pero aprendo de la experiencia.”
“Tal vez sea el fin del mundo civilizado, pero no cabe duda de que es muy hermoso.”
“Es difícil imaginar que todo seguirá cuando uno ya no esté
Pero así es. Si hubiéramos muerto la gente seguiría desayunando y subiéndose al autobús, y habría pájaros y árboles y niños que irían al colegio, y jardines brumosos como éste. Es una especie de consuelo.
Pero lo echaríam
Laurie
Jun 15, 2008 Laurie added it
Recommends it for: Wendy
I found this book sorting through donated books at school (most of which I didn't want), and it caught my eye because it's a 1979 Dell Laurel-Leaf paperback, and of course many of the best books were published by that imprint.

I didn't realize that this is a sequel to When Hitler Stole Pink Rabbit. I brought it home to read because I noticed that it presents yet another different perspective on World War II: that of a German Jewish refugee family in London. Anna and her parents struggle on throug
Juliet
As Anna grows older, so Judith Kerr just slightly alters her writing style to reflect the young adult Anna's point of view. As always devastatingly honest and matter of fact.
I read this as Bombs on aunt Dainty. A memoir of the experience of being a refugee/immigrant to England as a German Jew.
Marcie
Such an evocative book of life in London during the war and young love and her family trying to cope
Bec ♥ Live for the ones you love ♥
I really enjoyed reading more into Anna's life, although this one was quite a bit sadder then the first. The reason for this being that Anna was considerably older and, therefore, more aware of what was going on around her and the seriousness of the situation.

And just as a side note, just once would I like to read about an affair with an older married and/or teacher guy that actually works out, despite this not being as bad as it could've been since he obviously felt some remorse for what happen
Grace
Found this when helping my mum get some of our old children's books down from the attic for my nephews. I remember loving it (and the first one, When Hitler Stole the Pink Rabbit, too - not sure if I ever read the third in the series). And it was still good on this revisit. The books are a fictionalised version of the author's own early escape from Nazi Germany and her subsequent childhood and young adulthood as a refugee, first in Paris, but mainly in London.
Fiona
Fab book again 2nd in series. A good easy read.
Ardita
I think I read the book back in my college days, fresh from a year long German course. The book itself was about World War II. A young girl who had to fled Germany (because she's Jewish) with her family. I kinda forget how it turned out, but as far as I remember, this must be one of the most gentle German book I've ever read. Plus, I always like any story with World War II background.
Olivia
This sequel to "When Hitler Stole Pink Rabbit" is written very well, but the content is not all edifying or suitable for children as the first book was.Turns out there was a lot of impure personal stuff going on that really was TMI.

Stick with the first book. The second is for more mature readers.
Discoverylover
I think it might have been a bit long between reading When Hitler Stole Pink Rabbit and this because it took me a while to get back into where the story had left off. I did in the end, but it did take me a while! And once I did I did really enjoy it. Now to find a copy of the third book!
penelopewanders
Sequel to When Hitler Stole Pink Rabbit. Very good read, and an interesting perspective on WWII... I'm trying to remember what I recently read which included something about the people interned on the Isle of Man - including Jews locked up with Nazis... but it hasn't come back to me yet.
Melissa
I've always been fascinated with this era. It probably stems from reading C.S.Lewis novels about the London evacuations when I was younger. But I love reading novels written by people who lived through any aspect of World War II.
Abigail
This book isn't as good as the other two. It's hard to get into Anna's romance, or her drawing classes. It was only the descriptions of the war, such as the Blitz, that seemed real. A good read nevertheless.
Joni
Nov 14, 2008 Joni rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: everyone
Sequel to When Hitler Stole Pink Rabbit. Another great, heartfelt story by Judith Kerr - this time set in England, although it picks up Anna's story far later than it was left off in the first book.
Margareth8537
Read this having come across When Hitler stole pink rabbit, rather late, and enjoyed it even more. Coming of age in wartime London, and refusing to let the War be the only thing in her life.
Bookguide
This is on my list of books which I read in October 2011, but I don't seem to have written a review.

• Girl With a White Dog
  • Somewhere Around the Corner
  • The Shell House
  • Hero on a Bicycle
  • Mit dem Rücken zur Wand
  • A Little Love Song
  • Marianne Dreams (The Magic Drawing Pencil, #1)
  • Five Children on the Western Front
  • A Dream of Sadler's Wells (Sadler's Wells, #1)
  • I am Rebecca
  • Die letzten Kinder von Schewenborn
  • Emil und die drei Zwillinge
  • Eustacia Goes to the Chalet School (The Chalet School, #6)
  • Magician of Hoad
  • The Herring Seller's Apprentice
  • Der Trotzkopf
  • Size Matters Not: The Extraordinary Life And Career Of Warwick Davis
  • How Shall I Tell The Dog?: Last Laughs From The Master
From http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Judith_Kerr :

Judith Kerr is a German-born British writer and illustrator who has created both enduring picture books such as the Mog series and The Tiger Who Came To Tea and acclaimed novels for older children such as the autobiographical When Hitler Stole Pink Rabbit which give a child's-eye view of the Second World War.

Kerr was born in Berlin but left Germany wi
More about Judith Kerr...

Out of the Hitler Time (4 books)
  • When Hitler Stole Pink Rabbit (Out of the Hitler Time, #1)
  • A Small Person Far Away (Out of the Hitler Time, #3)
  • When Hitler Stole Pink Rabbit / Bombs on Aunt Dainty
The Tiger Who Came to Tea When Hitler Stole Pink Rabbit (Out of the Hitler Time, #1) Mog the Forgetful Cat A Small Person Far Away (Out of the Hitler Time, #3) When Hitler Stole Pink Rabbit / Bombs on Aunt Dainty