Start by marking “Orson Scott Card's InterGalactic Medicine Show” as Want to Read:
Orson Scott Card's InterGalactic Medicine Show

Orson Scott Card's InterGalactic Medicine Show

3.92  ·  Rating Details ·  1,463 Ratings  ·  67 Reviews
Bestselling writer Orson Scott Card founded the online magazine Intergalactic Medicine Show in 2006. It has been a big success, drawing submissions from well-known sf and fantasy writers, as well as fostering some amazing new talents. This collection contains some of the best of those stories from the past year.

There is fiction from David Farber, Tim Pratt, and David Lubar
Published August 5th 2008 by Tor Books (first published August 5th 2005)

To ask other readers questions about Orson Scott Card's InterGalactic Medicine Show, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Orson Scott Card's InterGalactic Medicine Show

Jim
Mar 06, 2015 Jim rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was an excellent selection of speculative (fantasy, SF, or somewhere in between) stories with a lot of range from the magazine, website here:

The stories are all PG-13, yet full of depth. Many had a quirky humor. All in all, some of the best short fiction I've read in a long time & I like short stories.

The afterwords by the authors were good. Like OSC, I prefer afterwords to forewords. I'm reading Unfettered, another anthology, which has forewords
rivka
Oct 07, 2008 rivka rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: all spec-fic fans, especially OSC fans
Wonderful collection of some of the best spec-fic shorts today. I never manage to find time to read the online zine (most of my reading is done when I can't use the computer), so this volume was perfect.

I may come back to this review and go through each story. For now, I just have to say that Scott Roberts' Eviction Notice is a must read. Horrible and terrifying and wonderful. And a bunch more adjectives too. ;) And since it's one of the stories readable (in its entirety) using the Google Previe
Paul Lunger
Aug 31, 2011 Paul Lunger rated it it was ok
In Card's "Intergalactic Medicine Show" we get a collection of 18 short stories taken from the magazine of the same name written from Oct. '05 to Feb. '07. Card himself is the author of 4 new tales in the Ender-verse ("Mazer in Prison", "Cheater", "Pretty Boy", & "A Young Man with Prospects") which fill in story gaps with some of the characters themselves in the popular series of books. Also "Fat Farm" by Aaron Johnston is based upon a work of Card. Eric James Stone is the other author with ...more
Clay
Aug 27, 2008 Clay rated it liked it
Shelves: readinpassing
Three stars as a whole, four stars to Scott M Roberts' short story 'Eviction Notice'.

Give it a read for some great short stories about everything under the sun.
MJ
Jul 17, 2014 MJ rated it liked it
I love decent sci fi short story collections with multiple authors! And there are 3 Ender universe stories, only one of which I'd read.

Now that I'm sensitized to Card's politics I try hard to evaluate his stories on their merit, not his politics. But I notice that there is only one (apparently) story by a woman--but perhaps few women writers contribute to his Intergalactic website?

PINES library apparently has NONE of the Intergalactic Medicine Show collections so I guess I'll look for some at P
Erin
Jun 01, 2013 Erin rated it really liked it
This was a really neat book! I have heard of the online magazine published by Orson Scott Card, but I had never read any of the works. And the thing that got me to pick up this book in the first place was the new stories from the Ender universe (big Ender's Game fan). It was neat to get to learn more about those characters that I have 'known' for so long. I was pleasantly surprised, though, by some of the other works in this collection, though! As to be expected, I liked some works better than o ...more
Lady Knight
There really are some amazing stories inside this anthology. I've written my thoughts about each below (there's only room for a couple of lines for each).

In the Eyes of the Empress's Cat (by Bradley P. Beauliey)

Al-Ashwar is called upoon to attend to the Empress's cat Bela. Al-Ashwar discovers that there is something very wrong with the cat and to heal her it requires that everyday he return to give out a remedy. While carrying out his duties he becomes smitten with the Empress's handmaiden, Rabi
Jelinas
Jul 13, 2011 Jelinas rated it it was ok
Orson Scott Card's InterGalactic Medicine Show is actually an online magazine for writers of science fiction and fantasy. This book is a compilation of short stories that have been published in the magazine.

Is it any good? Well... there are four stories in the book written by Card, one of which I'd already read in Ender in Exile ("A Young Man with Prospects"), one about Mazer Rackham, one about Ender's Battle School classmate Han Tzu, and one about Bonzo Madrid, a bully who picks on Ender when
Paul
Jul 16, 2013 Paul rated it really liked it
Shelves: reviewed
Orson Scott Card’s Intergalactic Medicine Show contains eighteen short stories of varying length, four of which are written by Card himself, as well as a fifth that is a “graphic novel” interpretation of one of his tales. On the whole this collection varies in quality, but Card’s contributions are definitely the most well-written. This is not to imply, necessarily, that they are more enjoyable; as someone who is not overly familiar with Card’s more famous works, I found many of the other stories ...more
Wm
Sep 25, 2008 Wm rated it liked it
I read this several weeks ago but have put off writing a review because I am somewhat acquainted with three of the authors represented in the anthology and wanted to give them their due as well as highlight some of the other stories. But of course now I've had to return the book to the library and can't find a table of contents anywhere and can't remember a bunch of the stories.

But I can say this:

I enjoyed "Tabloid Reporter to the Stars" by Eric James Stone for its blend of hard sci-fi and humor
Keri-Lynn
Jan 09, 2013 Keri-Lynn rated it liked it
This is a mixed review because it was a very mixed book, typical of one filled with short stories by different authors. I really enjoyed and would recommend about half the stories, liked another quarter of them, thought some of the others were fairly good, or at least a good attempt. Only one really missed the mark. The one that was a miss for me lost me before the end of the third page. The author threw way too much into the story right away rather than letting the reader feel his way through t ...more
Patrick
Oct 18, 2008 Patrick rated it liked it
Good, but not great. I liked, but didn't love the Ender world stories. I bought the book for those stories and was mildly disappointed. They're OK, but all a little preachy at the same time. Of the other stories--most sci-fi, a couple fantasy--, there are some really good ones, and a lot of OK ones. I just wasn't feeling the "deepness" they were going for.

Some other reviewers have recommended "Eviction Notice," but it was the hardest for me to get through because it was so dark. My favorite was
Ryan
Jul 18, 2009 Ryan rated it liked it
Short stories work really well for a compulsive reader (myself) who doesn't have long stretches of time to read (also myself). Usually, when I get into a story, I ignore all other responsibilities, including bedtime, to find out what happens next. With short stories, I found this compulsion was naturally mitigated cuz each chapter had a full resolution.

Plus each story had sci-fi/fantasy's signature steep learning curve which makes reading so engaging to me. I also really liked reading the autho
Scott
Sep 18, 2009 Scott rated it really liked it
I didn't actually read this book cover to cover, because I had already read most of the stories in the online magazine. (http://www.intergalacticmedicineshow.com) There were a few stories that I had to reread, though, and it was good to be reminded that Orson Scott Card's magazine tends to be better than many other magazines at providing a selection of short fiction that I really enjoy.

The bonus to reading this anthology is getting the afterward to each story, where the author explains a little
Kay
Apr 20, 2016 Kay rated it really liked it
Shelves: enderverse
I very much enjoyed this collection of short stories, not only because so many were Enderverse related but reading new authors' works was fun! I especially enjoyed the afterwords wherein each author describes a bit about their story and/or thought process through writing it.
Zach
Oct 09, 2008 Zach rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: Any SciFi or Fantasy fan
This collection of short stories offers a wide range of 'sci-fi' with a high concentration of good quality stories. There were only a few I didn't care for, but others might like them.

My favorite was probably 'Tabloid Reporter to the Stars' and 'The Mooncalfe' and 'Call me Mr. Positive' follow with a tie for second place. Originally I bought the book so I could read the Ender short stories, but I ended up with so much more than I had anticipated. Anyone who hasn't read much from the Ender's Game
Ragan
Mar 30, 2009 Ragan rated it really liked it
This is a fun Sci-fi anthology. You will like it especially if you are a big fan of Card's Ender series since it includes 5 short stories by Card about different characters in his Ender's Universe. Some of the other stories by other authors are quite good including "Tabloid Reporter to the Stars" which I got a big kick out of. Others, I felt lukewarm about. And there is another story "Entombed" that is a bit disturbing. But the best thing about this anthology is that at the end of each story the ...more
Dan
Aug 18, 2015 Dan rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This anthology contains a lot of interesting short stories by various authors of varying experience but all of exceptional talent. There are both fantasy and sci-fi stories represented. I felt like they were well told and each one immersed me into the world ending just in exactly the correct place and leaving me wanting more.
Nikitah
Jul 24, 2015 Nikitah rated it liked it
The stories were really interesting, but a lot of them were super creepy! Read with caution and not late at night. :)
Michael Ngo
Aug 03, 2016 Michael Ngo rated it liked it
Shelves: 2016-reads
Some 2's, some solid 4's, Ender stories were all pretty much 5's but that's because they are built on a universe I'm already so familiar with.

Really liked the Elvis story and the pregnant story.
Reuven
Oct 02, 2015 Reuven rated it really liked it
"Tabloid reporter to the stats" is hilarious.
Also, the story about Ender's world is very good.
Marie
Jun 12, 2015 Marie rated it really liked it
Shelves: fantasy
I particularly enjoyed Tim Pratt's Dream Engine and hope to see more of Howlaa and Wisp.
Donald
Dec 03, 2009 Donald rated it liked it
This book reads exactly like what it is; a collection of short stories written largely by amateur authors as writing exercises or assignments. Everyone has heard if you like sausage don't watch it being made. That certainly applies here. I'm sure that these stories have great appeal to aspiring sci-fi authors, but to me they felt a bit, well, raw. Admittedly, I'm not a real sci-fi fan but more of an Orson Scott Card fan (and a fair-weather one at that). Card's stories were far and away the best ...more
Jon Martin
Mar 03, 2015 Jon Martin marked it as unfinished
Shelves: fantasy
Enderverse Short Stories:
"Mazer in Prison"
"Cheater"
"Pretty Boy"
"A Young Man with Prospects"
recommended:
"Eviction Notice"
Marc Gersen
Oct 21, 2014 Marc Gersen rated it really liked it
A pretty good collection of short stories.
Miriam
Dec 01, 2008 Miriam rated it really liked it
Shelves: fiction
There was only one story in this collection that didn't finish, and I probably could have if I'd tried a little harder. Otherwise,it was an enjoyable collection of stories. A few stood out, but they were all worth a read. I appreciated the variety, and I like the author's comments at the end of each story. I haven't been reading the magazine online because I didn't want to deal with my PayPal account, but reading this book made me think that it might be worthwhile.
Tim Hicks
Oct 17, 2011 Tim Hicks rated it liked it
3.5 stars really. Several Card stories fill in the Ender universe a bit, mostly as prequel character sketches. The rest appear to be successful workshop exercises, which is OK but some of them don't feel like the work of a fully developed writer yet. As long as you know that they are fine. The afterwords do a good job of explaining this, and often add interesting insight to where the author came from with the idea.

A worthwhile but not memorable read.
Kris
May 28, 2013 Kris rated it really liked it
Okay so I only sort of read this. I feel a bit guilty about it, because I'm sure all the short stories in here are worth reading, but I only read the Enderverse stories. Hey don't shake your head in disgust at me like that, that's why I downloaded the book! That being said, I may give the other stories in this anthology a shot some time. All of the Enderverse stories were enjoyable and worth reading, and I particularly enjoyed "Mazer in Prison".
Powwow
Jun 05, 2011 Powwow rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I read Orson Scott Card’s Intergalactic Medicine Show. Orson Scott Card is a good bet, and this book doesn’t disappoint. I recommend this book to all who are impressed by the imagination of talented passionate authors. It is a great collection of mystical, magical stories. It leaves you thinking of possibilities beyond our natural realm of reality. And the author’s afterword following each story, adds a nice touch.
Jeff
Aug 15, 2009 Jeff rated it liked it
Shelves: science-fiction
Fans of Orson Scott Card will greatly enjoy this collection of short stories, not only because the master himself has entered four shorts of his own, but he fills the anthology with authors he, himself, appreciates. Card adds a few Ender Universe stories as well, for those fans of the very popular series.

Enjoyable and thought-provoking. Check out the website at http://www.oscIGMS.com for even more.
  • The Authorized Ender Companion
  • The Best Science Fiction and Fantasy of the Year, Volume 1
  • The Best of the Best, Vol 2: 20 Years of the Best Short Science Fiction Novels
  • Fast Forward