Start by marking “People of the Songtrail (North America's Forgotten Past, #22)” as Want to Read:
People of the Songtrail (North America's Forgotten Past, #22)

People of the Songtrail (North America's Forgotten Past #22)

From New York Times and USA Today bestselling authors Kathleen O'Neal Gear and W. Michael Gear comes an epic story of the first contact between Native Americans and Vikings.

On the shores of what is now northeastern Canada, a small group of intrepid settlers have landed, seeking freedom to worship and prosper far from the religious strife and political upheaval that plague
Published May 26th 2015 by Tor Books

Theresa
Feb 06, 2015 Theresa rated it it was amazing
People of the Songtrail
by W. Michael Gear, Kathleen O'Neal Gear (Goodreads Author)

You would think they could not do it again, but the W. Michael and Kathleen O’neal Gear have accomplished again another tale to amaze their readers. They have created another set of characters that you feel a heart-deep connection. The reader struggles with the characters against impossible odds, deadly and diverse problems that make you hold your breath striving with the character to find a solution. The story of
Beth
Jul 24, 2015 Beth rated it really liked it

As always, another excellent story! I won an Advance Uncorrected Proof via Good Reads & author...THX to both! I didn't find much that needed to be edited in this book, so the finished book should be excellent! I can't wait to read their next book! They haven't written a bad book that I've ever come across.
Pamela
Sep 02, 2015 Pamela rated it it was amazing
Shelves: first-nations
As usual, these authors have written a compelling story. It is about people who came to North America with the intent to "settle", claiming the right to do so according to the code of their own culture, which meant that they would annihilate the Indigenous people who already lived there. The were not European, they were Nordic settlers from Iceland, Greenland, and England. There is so much complex and fascinating history to discover here. As usual, the authors address the spiritual battle that ...more
Marcia Scurfield
Jul 08, 2015 Marcia Scurfield rated it really liked it
"Stuff You Never Learned in History Class" is always a book genre I look for when entering Goodreads First Reads giveaways. I was successful and will enjoy knowing more about these early explorations.

Although fantasy is not genre that I usually read--and there was quite a bit of fantasy in this work of historical fiction--this book was exciting and kept my attention all the way through.
Sean
Nov 28, 2016 Sean rated it really liked it
I enjoyed this book quite a bit. The story was exciting and it had a feeling of authenticity. I know nothing about the peoples the book is about, so I have no way of knowing how well the authors did their homework, but it felt real. Even the fantasy elements did not detract from the "real feel."

I for one was quite glad that the Danelaw was defeated by the English and driven out, so I read this book from the "other side," but I still enjoyed it. The characters, even though they are my ancestral
Sue
Jul 20, 2015 Sue rated it really liked it
Another successful book by the Gears! This book is about a possible scenario involving the meeting of the Vikings with Native Americans, in this case, the People of the Songtrail. I had some difficulties in getting used to a new set of names (Viking names aren’t easy) but once I got used to the names, the book was much easier to read. The discussions of the political situation in England/Iceland/Denmark and how it related to the Vikings in the new world caused the story to lag a little but I ...more
Billy Dominguez
May 31, 2015 Billy Dominguez rated it it was ok
I am disappointed with People of the Songtrail. There was very little character development in the beginning leaving me unable to connect with any of the characters. The first few chapters are all over the place and it feelt like there were cut chapters that would have connected everything. There was much more Nordic culture present than that of The Songtrail People's making the story feel one sided. The plot seemed lazy, which surprised me since the Gears always deliver in that area. I did ...more
Gina M Jordan
Aug 15, 2015 Gina M Jordan rated it it was amazing
At 1st the amount of characters were confusing & some enraging, but as ALWAYS, the Gears really tell a great story involving every emotive state & involve the reader in every character.

I'm a local library book sponsor, meaning I pay for the bills on all Gear books that come out, so our library has a hardcover copy for everyone to read. Nothing like exposing people to the best authors out there. This pair of writers are each experts in archeology & anthropology as well as research &a
K
Sep 08, 2015 K rated it really liked it
This book was interesting, more of a fantasy than historical fiction. It tells the tale of when Vikings first made their way into North America. What I like best was seeing how what was happening in Europe coincided with life in North America. We tend to look at history in very isolated ways. The story was definitely fascinating but relied heavily on magic which tended to make it less believable as history and more of just a good tale.
J. Ewbank
Jun 23, 2015 J. Ewbank rated it really liked it
I am a fan of the Gear and Gear books and have most of them. This book took me a little while to get into, mainly because of the number of characters and themes involved. However, with continued reading things began to become clearer and the book became very readable and enjoyable. Probably just my experience.

J. Robert Ewbank author "John Wesley, Natural Man, and the Isms" "Wesley's Wars" and "To Whom It May Concern"
Barb Martin
Jun 07, 2015 Barb Martin rated it liked it
I laughed when I saw the latest "People of the . . ." book included Vikings, but this actually was a welcome change for the authors' book series, which had become rather stale. The physical magic, while far-fetched, also was a pleasant change from the typical drug-induced spiritual wandering of the previous books' dreamers. We had battles. We had boys becoming men. We had beautiful women desired by good and bad men. A lot of people died. The Vikings were sort of cool.
Dutchfarmeress
May 23, 2016 Dutchfarmeress rated it it was amazing
I have read all the "people" books. Once you have read so many, you may find that it becomes "more of the same". This might be true, but I still love to read these stories. Even if Gear and O'Neil write 25 "People" books, I will continue to read them all. Yes, for the sake of it, but also because I love these stories.
Sue
Dec 13, 2015 Sue rated it really liked it
Story takes place ~ 1000 ad, Newfoundland. I always like to read these author's perception of what life was like many hundreds of years ago. But, I weary of the strategy of warring tribes. Yes, this is a good read, but typical of these authors; and maybe typical of anthropologists perceptions of crashed-in and broken bones?..
marcus s. nunley
Intriguing,clash of two great cultures !

Great,a new twist for the People series ! I have always been fascinated and curios of this time in history ! Learning how native Americans and Europeans might react meeting with each other. Two different cultures clashing for the first time.
Michelle McPherson
People of the Songtrail

As always another wonderful journey into history. Riddled with historical information based in a fictional story. The Gears are masters in historical fiction. The addition of other cultures in their recent novels has only heightened the story lines. I always end the books wishing for more and simultaneously exited for the next endeavor.
Ernest Spoon
Nov 12, 2015 Ernest Spoon rated it really liked it
Every time I pick up one of the Gears' books I ask myself, Whos the market for this stuff? Oops! Its me!

This book is more fantasy than the usual archaeology-based historical fiction the Grears write. The fantasy element isnt too overdone but there is more in the way of magic than in the other titles of theirs Ive read.
Kelly Knapp
Jun 03, 2015 Kelly Knapp rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: historical fiction buffs, viking buffs,
Recommended to Kelly by: Won from the Goodreads Firstreads Giveaway
Such a beautiful peek into the possible past history of a time that can only be researched or understood by archiological digs as little other records from that time exist. I will admit, I thought this was more history than historical fiction when I entered the contest, but the writing team of this series is terrific and I felt like I was watching a movie; the writing was so clear and lyric.
Paula
Jul 06, 2015 Paula rated it really liked it
If you have any interest in Native American culture these books are amazing. They blend facts with incredible story lines to make a wonderful book. They pass my "I don't want to sleep I want to finish the book instead" litmus test.
Sherry
Jun 24, 2015 Sherry rated it it was amazing
I truly enjoy books involving our ancient ancestors and this one didn't disappoint. It deals with the first contacts of Vikings with native Americans of Canada. Thank you Michael and Kathleen for another great effort! I've read many of your books and will continue to do so.
Veronica
Aug 03, 2015 Veronica rated it it was ok
I was disappointed with this novel as the authors were once my favourite authors. Although the characters are strong, I found the novel flat and somewhat repetitious. Perhaps the story should have stayed in the forgotten past.
Jenn Strange
Mar 12, 2016 Jenn Strange rated it really liked it
Another great book from the Gears. This one was a bit different than their past works but I still enjoyed it. Always a nice blend between historical references and fantasy.
Roberta Douglass
Jul 27, 2015 Roberta Douglass rated it it was amazing
Loved this book. It was a fast read, never wanted to put it down. Loved it and was excited to see the Authors are from Thermopolis Wyoming. :) :)
Hurihia
Feb 13, 2016 Hurihia rated it really liked it
I enjoyed this book, so beautifully written and engaging. The only drawback to me was the number of characters and their different names. Glossary was a help.
K.S. Jones
Sep 16, 2016 K.S. Jones rated it it was amazing
The research in every Gear book brings the story and its characters alive. This novel focuses on a clash of powerful cultures set in the American wilderness 500 years before Columbus.
Kathy
Jan 01, 2016 Kathy added it
Couldn't get into the book. The authors are great writers, they are just moving in a different direction than what I want to read.
Peter Hakkenberg
Nov 09, 2015 Peter Hakkenberg rated it really liked it
As always, Michael Gear does not disappoint. A well written story of the early Vikings experience in North America.
Marilyn
Jun 20, 2016 Marilyn rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Great book

Wonderful story of Vikings, England and native people. A time of discovery and change. A mystery that keeps you guessing.
Barb
Barb rated it it was amazing
Jan 31, 2015
Dan baker
Dan baker rated it really liked it
Jul 14, 2015
Hannah Gibson
Hannah Gibson rated it liked it
May 12, 2016
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »
  • People of the Black Sun (People of the Longhouse #4; North America's Forgotten Past #20)
  • Crowbone (Oathsworn #5)
  • Conquest (Making of England, #1)
  • Mercenaries (The Conquest Trilogy, #1)
  • Sworn Sword (The Bloody Aftermath of 1066, #1)
  • Blood Will Follow (The Valhalla Saga, #2)
  • Shieldwall (Conquest Trilogy, #1)
  • The Black Stone (Agent of Rome #4)
  • The Soul Thief (The Life and Times of Corban Loosestrife, #1)
  • Odin's Wolves (Raven, #3)
  • Fin Gall (The Norsemen Saga, #1)
  • The Saga of Erik the Viking
  • A Land Divided (The Blood of Kings #1)
W. Michael Gear was born in Colorado Springs, Colorado, on the twentieth of May, 1955. A fourth generation Colorado native, his family had been involved in hard-rock mining, cattle ranching, and journalism. After his father's death in 1959, Michael's mother received her Master's degree in journalism and began teaching. In 1962 she married Joseph J. Cook, who taught tool and die making, and the ...more
More about W. Michael Gear...

North America's Forgotten Past (1 - 10 of 24 books)
  • People of the Wolf (North America's Forgotten Past, #1)
  • People of the Fire (North America's Forgotten Past, #2)
  • People of the Earth (North America's Forgotten Past, #3)
  • People of the River (North America's Forgotten Past, #4)
  • People of the Sea (North America's Forgotten Past, #5)
  • People of the Lakes (North America's Forgotten Past, #6)
  • People of the Lightning (North America's Forgotten Past, #7)
  • People of the Silence (North America's Forgotten Past, #8)
  • People of the Mist (North America's Forgotten Past, #9)
  • People of the Masks (North America's Forgotten Past, #10)