Start by marking “The Improv Handbook for Modern Quilters: A Guide to Creating, Quilting, and Living Courageously” as Want to Read:

Forget step-by-step instructions and copycat designs. In The Improv Handbook for Modern Quilters, Sherri Lynn Wood presents a flexible approach to quilting that breaks free of old paradigms. Instead of traditional instructions, she presents 10 frameworks (or scores) that create a guiding, but not limiting, structure. To help quilters gain confidence, Wood also offers detai ...more
Published April 28th 2015 by Stewart, Tabori and Chang (first published March 17th 2015)

To ask other readers questions about The Improv Handbook for Modern Quilters, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Improv Handbook for Modern Quilters

Agnes
Aug 18, 2015 Agnes rated it it was amazing
Fantastic book. I've purchased my own copy and can't wait to try these quilts. The quilts in here are stunning and make me want to try improv quilting.
Claire
Nov 02, 2016 Claire rated it it was amazing
I loved this book. The ideas expressed really resonated with the direction I would like to go in. This is going to the my 2017 plan.
Claire
Dec 31, 2015 Claire rated it it was amazing
My opinion changed as I progressed.

At first I wasn't thrilled with the assumption that I didn't do improv because I was afraid of failure and that I needed meditations to decrease anxiety. I am not afraid of failure and I try many new things. I am not convinced that I need to abandon use of rulers entirely. I did not like the first several "scores" (what Wood offers instead of patterns). But I usually finish a book I start, and as I began to like the samples better Wood also decreased the assump
Alane
Jul 16, 2015 Alane rated it liked it
The pictures are gorgeous. The ideas are an inspiration. Having done quilts like these and run into significant hurdles, I feel that the instructions are over simplified.

That said, the librarian had to wrestle it from me to get it back on the shelves and I may just check it out again until someone in the house gets the hint and buys it for me.

I showed the book to quilters and non quilters - all of whom were ready to sew after looking at it. One said she doesn't even like quilts but she liked t
Anna
Sep 13, 2015 Anna rated it it was ok
The practice of improvisatory patchwork---working without a plan, thinking on one's feet, figuring out as one goes, making do with what one has, problem solving, breaking rules, accepting what is, creating spontaneously--really are great, but I think I need to master some traditional techniques before breaking its rules and again like I had mentioned in another review of a book on improvisation quilting, I like a little bit of perfection. None of the color ways, nor the imprecision of the ...more
Kari Burk
Feb 16, 2016 Kari Burk rated it it was amazing
An inspirational book even if you aren't a quilter. Beautiful photographs of color, pattern and design. I like how the word 'improv' is used as the second word in the book's title because this is a key to its content and what it delivers...how to use what you have to just get going to make stuff happen, to 'improvise' with what is presently available, to use ideas that come up, not getting 'stopped up' by formal formats of design or technique. So grateful that our local library 'indulges' in ...more
Candy
Jul 01, 2015 Candy rated it it was amazing
Shelves: quilting
I am having a BLAST doing some of the "scores" in this book!
I made 2 projects. I'll try to put a picture of the quilt top I just finished with my profile picture. This quilt is named "Concepts". I'm waiting for batting to come in the mail, and almost have the backing ready to go.
This book took me on such an adventure- it has freed up my brain in many areas. I see so many possibilities.
I will work on more of the projects later. Right now i am worn out!
Christina
Apr 18, 2016 Christina rated it really liked it
I purchased this at an in-person workshop with the author. I walked away so inspired by her energy and the idea of improvised quilting. This book doesn't disappoint, even after seeing the real thing. Full of practical instruction on improv and tools to get yourself in the a place to be willing to try.

Lori
Feb 17, 2016 Lori rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2016, arts-and-crafts
Regarding the techniques some I'll use, some were just interesting to see how others do things. I'm interested in ways to push my creativity and ideas re: color theory or quilt design. I also found her comments on beginners being better at improv than experienced sewer/quilters worth chewing on...
Good read.
Lisa Miller
Jan 01, 2016 Lisa Miller rated it it was amazing
The book is a segue into improvisational work with self-imposed limits which is so helpful. Having too many choices can make a project either overwhelming or unfocused. Sherri Lynn supports readers in being a thinking, learning artist. Love the philosophy, process and the author's generosity in her social media presence.
Erika
Jan 11, 2016 Erika rated it liked it
Shelves: sewing
Okay, so I didn't actually "read" all of this book cover to cover. I do like getting an insight into the author's method of making, seeing the projects she's created and the finished quilts others have made following her lead. An interesting book if you love improvisational quilting.
Alison
Jan 11, 2016 Alison rated it it was amazing
Improvisation is the only way I know to work with fabric, and this book gives me comfort in knowing I'm not the only one working this way. The artist's full process is explained, and it is wonderful and inspiring. This is the antidote to all of the quilt-by-pattern books out there.
Underwood Family
Nov 07, 2015 Underwood Family rated it it was amazing
I got this book from the library, and after half-reading, half-skimming it and drooling over the eye candy, I plan to buy it for my small quilting library. I love so many of the approaches she uses and look forward to using many of them to make quilts of my own!
Rebecca
Jul 23, 2015 Rebecca rated it really liked it
Oh, boy. Hold on to your sewing machine. So much modern eye candy. Wood explains her process well and gives you so many tips and things to think about. Advanced sewing for sure, but not out of reach for most sewers. Beautiful book.
Victoria Scott
Victoria Scott rated it liked it
Feb 19, 2016
Amber
Amber rated it liked it
Oct 07, 2015
Karen
Karen rated it it was amazing
Jan 14, 2016
Michelle
Michelle rated it liked it
Jul 19, 2015
Rosemary
Rosemary rated it liked it
May 29, 2015
Kris
Kris rated it it was amazing
Jun 25, 2016
Lindie Nanninga
Lindie Nanninga rated it it was amazing
Apr 13, 2016
Lisa
Lisa rated it it was amazing
Sep 20, 2015
Cera979
Cera979 rated it it was amazing
Jan 20, 2016
Terry
Terry rated it really liked it
Feb 02, 2016
Kate
Kate rated it it was amazing
Jan 13, 2016
Paige
Paige rated it really liked it
Jul 20, 2015
Karen
Karen rated it it was amazing
Dec 16, 2015
Niki
Niki rated it it was amazing
May 30, 2015
Tara
Tara rated it it was amazing
Sep 03, 2016
Kris
Kris rated it really liked it
Aug 25, 2015