Start by marking “Spellstorm” as Want to Read:
Spellstorm

Spellstorm (Forgotten Realms: Elminster #9)

It is a powerful lure, and archwizards of every stripe descend upon the merchant, only
Published June 2nd 2015 by Wizards of the Coast

To ask other readers questions about Spellstorm, please sign up.

Hamilton White Addendum: SPELLSTORM is an original, not a reprint, and the (admittedly pretty sketchy) publisher's blurb is:
"Ed Greenwood, who is synonymous with the…more
"Ed Greenwood, who is synonymous with the Forgotten Realms, leads readers through a story that combines the rollicking fantasy adventure for which he is famous with a thrilling murder mystery.

Ed Greenwood, creator of the Forgotten Realms, brings home another epic fantasy adventure featuring his trademark character Elminster of Shadowdale."(less)

Brad
Jun 07, 2015 Brad rated it really liked it
Shelves: fantasy
This is my first time reading Ed Greenwood, but I've seen his name in the bookstores for a long time, invariably of Forgotten Realms lore. I like to play D&D, but I never quite got into the habit of reading novels based in it. I'm probably not going to change my mind and start picking up more titles, but I am tempted. I've heard of Elminster from friends for over twenty years now, and from everything I've come to understand, he's quite a ruthless antihero wizard.

My Impressions of this soon-t
Koeur
Mar 31, 2015 Koeur rated it liked it

Publisher: Wizards of the Coast

Publishing Date: June 2015

ISBN: 9780786965717

Genre: Fantasy

Rating: 3.2/5

Publisher Description: Rumors race around Cormyr regarding the mythical Lost Spell, a powerful enchantment designed centuries ago by the presumed dead god of spells—a spell long thought lost to the ages. Found by some magic-less merchant, rumor has it the Lost Spell is to be auctioned off to the highest bidder.

Review: This is “Dungeons and Dragons” hooke
Chad Peek
Jun 05, 2015 Chad Peek rated it it was amazing
I loved this book!! It felt incredibly refreshing compared to all of the other novels that had come in out in the last year for Forgotten Realms. There was mystery, humor, action, suspense, and a mansion full of Archmages trying to win a spell called the "Lost Spell", which could possibly make them the most powerful mage ever.

Ed and Elminster are both at their finest in this book which I can't help but describe as a game of Clue meets the Forgotten Realms. It is a lot of fun and should be a "Mu
Chris Robinson
Mar 21, 2015 Chris Robinson rated it it was amazing
Received an ARC via netgalley

Ed Greenwood once again sets his iconic character into an impossible situation with an impossible goal. Sent inside an aging mansion with magic unreliable El must host a collection of arrogant archmages all seeking the same prize. On his side we find an old moneylender, a former lady-lord and a ghost.

This novel is more mystery than adventure but it does contain more than its fair share of both. Spells and swords, murder and mayhem with a side of "the Butler with the
Curtis
[Disclaimer: I received a copy of this book from the publisher via NetGalley in exchange for an honest review.]

I've enjoyed what I've read by Ed Greenwood in the past, and I do love the Forgotten Realms universe, so I was expecting to really enjoy this one too. Unfortunately that turned out to not be the case. Unlike the epic Forgotten Realms stories I'm used to, this read much more like a confusing murder mystery that lacks a clear purpose. The pacing on this is quite slow and the lack of an en
Chris
Apr 20, 2015 Chris rated it really liked it
Shelves: fantasy
*Copy from Netgalley in exchange for a review*

Spellstorm is an interesting melange of genres. On the one hand, it has all the standard fantasy tropes one might expect from the Forgotten Realms series; there’s wrathful wizards. High magic. Goddesses. A smattering of wry humour. Weird and largely morally unambiguous antagonist. On the other hand, it’s picked up and run with all the stylings of a locked room mystery. Red herrings. Sealed doors. Extremely awkward formal dinners. Murders every fiftee
Paul Harmon
Aug 20, 2015 Paul Harmon rated it it was ok
Shelves: fantasy
I received a copy of this for review from Netgalley and I'm very sorry I can't give it a positive review.

I read everything except for romance, which I am convinced is a right-wing plot to dumb down American woman and increase profits in the lumber industry by wasting trees on worthless products, but I digress. When I do read certain types of books I have certain expectations whether it be Horror, Sci-fi, classics, YA etc and when I see A D&D Fantasy titled SPELLSTORM I expect massive mage
Konstantin
Sep 21, 2015 Konstantin rated it it was ok
The writing is archaic to say the least, and before people level the comment "Its supposed to be that way since , its the forgotten realms not the modern age" , i will tell you it really kicks you out of the book and time , by the end i found it more annoying , then say historically accurate way of speaking for a middle ages type of world. The plot is predictable and the unpredictable comes from the author pulling out things from his hat most of the time , not to use more colorful way of ...more
Ben Nicholson
Apr 18, 2015 Ben Nicholson rated it it was amazing
(I received an ARC via Net Galley):

Overall, I really enjoyed it, and would recommend it to Realms fans when it comes out in print in early June.
In some ways, it's a vintage Realms novel - set in Cormyr, so the Purple Dragons and Wizards of War are present & correct, and some of Ed's favourite characters (El, Mirt & others) play central roles. But in other ways, it's quite unique:

Imagine a game of Cluedo, or better yet, an Agatha Christie novel set in Cormyr; Mirt as Hercule Poirot? Elmin
Nicolas Carrillo-Santarelli
May 25, 2015 Nicolas Carrillo-Santarelli rated it it was amazing
Spellstorm by Ed Greenwood is a very entertaining and good book in the fantasy genre, especially for D&D and Forgotten Realms fans. The plot revolves around the effort of different Archmages seeking to gain hold of a quite powerful spell (the 'Lost Spell') and how such ambition is taken advantage of by Mystra and its chosen/servant Elminster to try to make those wizards reach and commit to a code of conduct. Those wizards are led to bid for several days in the manshion of a Cormyrean noble, ...more
Kendra Lawrence
Jun 14, 2015 Kendra Lawrence rated it liked it
Ed is the creator of the Realms, and I will forever be grateful to him for it, but his writing is sub par at times. His books start out strong, but end on a weak note. In this novel, there is a good amount of mystery, which I enjoyed. I may not read mystery novels, but I do like a good mystery. However, while there was plenty of intrigue, I felt it could have been delivered better, and we were given info a lot of information about what was going on through dialogue, rather than getting to read ...more
John
Oct 17, 2015 John rated it did not like it
I found this book frustrating. I feel that this book is no where near the Ed Greenwood standard. I felt that he was writing for his own pleasure with the idea "I wonder if people will read this crap just because my name is on it." He wrote this for his own pleasure and no one else's. A good example of this is a kid in a candy store saying "Man, I have never had this one before, I'll have it just so I can say I did."

Ed Greenwood wrote a Clue based "who did it mystery" using a huge base of Elmins
Jim
Jun 13, 2015 Jim rated it it was ok
Shelves: fantasy
You know what people want when they pick up a Forgotten Realms novel starring ELminster, the greatest wizard of that world? A book full of magic, of spell battles, and of magical creatures. What they probably don't want is a murder mystery where magic is rendered useless and the main characters spend most of their time running back and forth through a giant house talking about food, cooking, and washing dishes. Honestly, this is probably the most repetitive book I've ever read (even more so than ...more
Jessica
Dec 06, 2015 Jessica rated it liked it
Shelves: netgalley
Not bad, but not great. I was thoroughly engaged for the first 1/3 of the book. At that point it felt rather like a combination of the Clue movie with Tim Curry and Agatha Christie's "And then there were none," except with arch-mages instead of your typical humans. Christie would probably approve of the shear volume of poison being slung around. The next 1/3 not a lot seemed to change. I couldn't figure out why anyone was doing what they were doing, or in some cases, whether anything was being ...more
Jenn S.
Sep 10, 2015 Jenn S. rated it it was amazing
Iconic characters combine with skillful storytelling to weave one magical tale. Greenwood writes intelligently and with excellent skills. I started reading this and I could not put it down. Granted I'm already a huge fan of fantasy, I play D&D style games including NwN and I read a LOT of fantasy. I just loved reading all the sword and sorcery all while feeling confident in the author's ability to bring it all to life as only Greenwood can. Excellent descriptions and well fleshed out ...more
Paul
Jul 01, 2015 Paul rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The Lost Spell, the most powerful of them all is found and now 10 of Faerun's most powerful Archmages must survive together in an estate while an epic spellstorm rages around them and keeps their magic from working properly. It's Elminster's job to try to keep the peace and help decide who is deemed the next holder of the Lost Spell. Murder and mystery abound as temporary alliances are formed and break apart and other vile forces attempt to influence the final outcome...

A very good book by Green
Joan Mueller
Apr 16, 2016 Joan Mueller rated it did not like it
It usually takes me 4 hours or if interrupted by daily life a single day to finish a book. With this book, I was only halfway done by 2 days. While the storyline was interesting, it was too drawn out. There could have been more excitement and suspension, very one note and humdrum. The characters were straight good and evil with no in-between. They needed depth and some back story since it was obvious from the plot that they had met previously.
Marti
Sep 03, 2015 Marti rated it liked it
The locked-room mystery aspect of this didn't quite gel, but I read it with a fair degree of enjoyment. The only real complaint I had was that many of the names and characters weren't distinct enough to easily keep them separate-- well, and the female mages were so personality-free that I really couldn't even begin to remember who was who. Except one of them was a snake? Who . . . I dunno. I lost the trail there somehow. But it was amusing just to see the effort.
Kristy (Book Frivolity)
Ok, sadly, I am going to DNF this at 30%.. Not because it's a bad book by any means, but the formatting is so skewiff throughout the eARC (on my reader at least), I am spending more time picking through the text trying to put it together, than actually reading it as it should be read... I'll probably buy this at a later date anyway, so I'll update this once that occurs... Sad face!
Fabio
Apr 12, 2016 Fabio rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
The latest entry in the Elminster series. It respects the "canon" we've been accustomed to by Greenwood, and it's overall an enjoyable read.

It has the usual cliches of Greenwood's writing, plus it's not as eventful as other books of the series, but it's OK - if you liked the others, you should like this one.
Kevs
Jun 12, 2015 Kevs rated it liked it
The murder mystery aspect of it - powerless archwizards trapped in a manor with an unknown killer - was a huge let down. If there's a mystery killer among the guests, the first thing you do is trust that they stay in their rooms while you go cook dinner . . . right?
Jonathan
Jul 27, 2015 Jonathan rated it really liked it
I really enjoyed this book. While it may not have been the best book, it did a great job of restoring many popular characters in the realms to tell stories about, and restored the realms as a place that stories can be told about.
Adam
Apr 10, 2015 Adam rated it it was ok
While entertaining, I felt as if the book spun its wheels a lot without going anywhere, and the ending was anticlimactic. Many of the internal events were predictable, as well.
Melissa
Aug 02, 2015 Melissa rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2015
It was slow in the beginning, but look out because once it gets started its an avalanche!

I was given this book in exchange for an honest review via Netgalley.
Julian Moreno
Julian Moreno rated it it was amazing
Jul 21, 2015
Zach Nolte
Zach Nolte rated it really liked it
Nov 15, 2015
Guy Sciancalepore
Guy Sciancalepore rated it liked it
Oct 01, 2015
William Stalker
William Stalker rated it really liked it
Nov 06, 2015
Derek Ray
Derek Ray rated it really liked it
Nov 17, 2015
Judi
Judi rated it it was amazing
May 12, 2016
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »
  • Ascendancy of the Last (Lady Penitent #3)
  • Prince of Ravens: A Forgotten Realms Novel
  • The Temple of Yellow Skulls (The Abyssal Plague, #1)
  • Ashes of the Tyrant (Brimstone Angels, #5)
  • Undead (Forgotten Realms: The Haunted Lands, #2)
  • The Godborn (The Sundering, #2)
  • Archmage (Homecoming #1; The Legend of Drizzt #28)
  • Downshadow (Forgotten Realms: Ed Greenwood Presents Waterdeep, #3)
  • Plague of Spells (Forgotten Realms: Abolethic Sovereignty, #1)
  • The Restless Shore (Forgotten Realms: The Wilds, #2)
  • The Sentinel (The Sundering, #5)
  • Wrath of the Blue Lady (Forgotten Realms: The Wilds, #4)
  • The Edge of Chaos (Forgotten Realms: The Wilds, #3)
  • Curse of the Shadowmage (Forgotten Realms: The Harpers, #11)
20513
Ed Greenwood is the creator of the Forgotten Realms fantasy world, which became the setting for his home D&D game in 1975. Play still continues in this long-running campaign, and Ed also keeps busy producing Realmslore for various TSR publications.

Ed has published over two hundred articles in Dragon magazine and Polyhedron newszine, is a lifetime charter member of the Role Playing Game Associa
More about Ed Greenwood...

Forgotten Realms: Elminster (1 - 10 of 11 books)
  • Elminster: The Making of a Mage (Forgotten Realms: Elminster, #1)
  • Den trolddomskyndige (Forgotten Realms: Elminster, #2)
  • Elminster in Myth Drannor (Forgotten Realms: Elminster, #2)
  • The Temptation of Elminster (Forgotten Realms: Elminster, #3)
  • Elminster in Hell (Forgotten Realms: Elminster, #4)
  • Elminster's Daughter (Forgotten Realms: Elminster, #5)
  • Elminster Must Die (Forgotten Realms: Elminster, #6)
  • Bury Elminster Deep (Forgotten Realms: Elminster, #7)
  • Elminster Enraged (The Sage of Shadowdale, Book #3)
  • Elminster Ascending (Forgotten Realms: Elminster, #1-3)

“Precious little. Most of the strife I foresee will be on the Sword Coast and its backlands.” 0 likes