Start by marking “Mass Effect: Revelation (Mass Effect, #1)” as Want to Read:
Mass Effect: Revelation (Mass Effect, #1)

Mass Effect: Revelation (Mass Effect #1)

3.67 of 5 stars 3.67  ·  rating details  ·  5,786 ratings  ·  390 reviews
Every advanced society in the galaxy relies on the technology of the Protheans, an ancient species that vanished fifty thousand years ago. After discovering a cache of Prothean technology on Mars in 2148, humanity is spreading to the stars; the newest interstellar species, struggling to carve out its place in the greater galactic community.

On the edge of colonized space,
Published May 1st 2007 by Del Rey (first published 2007)

To ask other readers questions about Mass Effect, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Mass Effect

Halo by Eric S. NylundAssassin's Creed by Oliver BowdenBioShock by John ShirleyAssassin's Creed by Oliver BowdenAssassin's Creed by Oliver Bowden
Video Game Novels/Trades
8th out of 193 books — 210 voters
Watchmen by Alan MooreAkira, Vol. 1 by Katsuhiro OtomoV for Vendetta by Alan MooreThe League of Extraordinary Gentlemen, Vol. 1 by Alan MooreNausicaä of the Valley of Wind, Vol. 1 by Hayao Miyazaki
Best Science Fiction Graphic Novels/Comics
90th out of 166 books — 66 voters

More lists with this book...

Tama Wise
I am a fairly large fan of the Mass Effect game, but I have to admit that I certainly wasn't expecting Tolstoy (or insert any other good novelist here) when I got my hands on this book. It sold itself on a few things, that it was a prequel to the game. It would tell us how Saren came to hate humans so much, and why Captain Anderson failed as a Spectre.

If you're boggled already then that sort of shows you a little of how the book is. As a stand alone novel, it's a fairly throw away read set in a
Matthew
Haiku Review:

I think I wrote this
Story in the seventh grade.
It stunk back then, too.
Sesana
I probably don't need to say that this book is only for Mass Effect fans, but I'll say it anyways. I doubt anyone who isn't already a fan of Mass Effect could get really invested here.

This book could be subtitled The Complete History of Why Anderson and Saren Hate Each Other's Guts. Yes, it's the full story of Anderson's failed Spectre attempt, and exactly how Saren screwed it up. It is interested to see a pre-Sovreign Saren, and see exactly how ruthless and morally bankrupt he already was. The
Dara
This is a great addition to the Mass Effect universe. The story revolved around David Anderson, Kahlee Sanders, and how SPECTRE Saren Arterius acquires a reaper artifact. This is set before the events of the first Mass Effect game. The three novels by Drew Karpyshyn are great complements to the MEU.
Greg Stearns
I read this book the summer it came out because I was completely caught up in the Mass Effect pre-release whirlwind. One of my favorite things in science fiction that especially translates to games is the world building. And the people at BioWare have a reputation for building broad and cohesive worlds. I also knew going in that this was going to be a trashy video game summer read and in that respect it didn't dissapoint.

In the aknowledgments, Karpyshyn thanks his editor who "helped make my nove
Dirk Grobbelaar
It's quite easy to like this book if you approach it with the correct attitude. Yes, it is based on a video game franchise, and the downside is that readers will not really know how the story unfolds from here unless they play the game. It's a pity that the story of the first Mass Effect game has not been novelized as a sequel to Revelation. There is a sequel (Mass Effect: Ascension), but it takes place after the events of the game. I would have loved to read a novel featuring Commander Shepard, ...more
Alan Solitar
Jan 17, 2008 Alan Solitar rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: anyone
Mass Effect: Revelations is a truly phenomenal science fiction text. From the very first page you are hooked by this book's compelling and suspenseful nature. Mass Effect: Revelations follows the path of Lieutenant Anderson, an alliance space officer who is investigating the destruction of a human research base. During his exploration, he eventually uncovers a malicious plot of chicanery and corruption. However, he becomes shocked when he finds out that this activity was happening under his ver ...more
The Thousander Club
I have tried reading books based on popular video game series before, including World of Warcraft: Tides of Darkness by Aaron Rosenberg and Starcraft: Liberty's Crusade by Jeff Grubb. Both books were very poor. They're more concerned about maintaining a fast pace than developing characters and providing action set pieces than intriguing plot. It really is a shame because both of those books come from mythologies which are robust and interesting. I wasn't expecting A Canticle for Leibowitz when I ...more
William Johnson
Reprinted from my website Secure Immaturity:

I’m trying to ease my way back into fiction ever since I got burned out on the very subject after earning my degree in English Literature at Northern Arizona University and Arizona State University. I just read too much. . .if that’s possible. . .and needed a break. For the last five years I’ve read endless history books and biographies. Hell, I’ve even read science books. I just abandoned fiction entirely. But lately I’ve needed some kind of escapism
Carl Black
Real score 2.5 / 5

Firstly I should say that I love the Mass Effect games and I have played all of them more times than I actually needed too. Also this is my first read since finishing a very good and well written fantasy series. So maybe my standards were a little too high for a video game tie in novel.

For fans of the Mass Effect games (especially ME1) this book should be very interesting. It expands on the story of Captain Anderson's failure to become a Spectre and the events that lead to tha
William Ristau
Jeff
Jan 25, 2011 Jeff rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Fans of the Mass Effect video game series
I don't think this book will appeal to those who haven't played the Mass Effect video games. As it is, this book provides a good backstory to the events that unfold in Mass Effect. Those who choose to read this obviously shouldn't expect great literature; it's pulp science fiction. The pacing is good and the action keeps your attention. One could easily read the entire book in a few hours.

For those who are looking for a space opera told in several different media, I would recommend the Mass Eff
Kirsty
Very enjoyable, but I feel like some of the characters were really dull and empty. If you asked me to describe Kahlee Sanders, I probably couldn't say much more than, "Uh, she's a natural blonde?" She wasn't a strong character, and kinda flip-flopped between strong-military-woman and oh-no-hold-me-please, in my opinion. Didn't identify with her in the slightest.

It was great to get a bit of insight into Saren and Anderson, but I just felt like the plot sort of unravelled a bit towards the end.

I d
Jason
Dec 04, 2013 Jason rated it 3 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Sci fi fans, Mass Effect fans, Unreal fans, etc.
I don’t normally read novels based on video games. With the exception of The Infernal City, I can’t think of one that I’ve been interested in. But, I started playing the Mass Effect games at the end of summer and I am hopelessly addicted to them now. The universe, the characters, and the story have completely engrossed me. When I found out that the author of this book was also the primary storywriter for the game, I decided to give it a shot.

Summary
Years before the events of Mass Effect, when Ca
Surin
Interesting companion to the Mass Effect universe but predictable plot, careless editing (there are actually typos in the book!) and very dry almost boring writing left much to be desired. I took 3 weeks of active daily reading to finish this book which is a stark difference of my usual pace.

I am an obsessed fan when it comes to the Mass Effect universe. So when I read that revelation was a prequel to the ME games and is about Anderson and Saren I just had to get it! However I was quite disappo
Khaalidah Muhammad-Ali
Your species must know its place. ~ Saren Arterius
I liked this book far more than I expected I would. I figured that it would simply be a recap of what I already know of the Mass Effect Universe from the games. I was pleasantly surprised to find that not only is this story totally original, but it is a fitting prequel featuring our beloved Anderson and the most hated Saren.
Shepard's right. Humanity is ready to do its part. United with the rest of the Council, we have the strength to overcome a
Kati
If I had to give my review a title, it would be "WHAT HAPPENED?!" Yes, in capslock.

I really loved the first part of the book, the introduction of the various races, of the universe in general, of the characters, especially of Grissom and Anderson, the attack on Sidon and the attempted rescue mission - all that was amazing. But then, something happened. And suddenly, I disliked everybody in the book.

The humans conducted illegal research with such a sense of appropriateness, as if they had the rig
Urania
I only picked up this book because I really love the Mass Effect games and thought I'd give it a shot. Like what some other reviewers said, I certainly wasn't expecting an amazing piece of literature because these things usually aren't, but given that this book was written by one of the two writers for the games (which are phenomenal, by the way), though, I guess I was really hoping for a little more.

To be fair, Revelation is all right as far as this type of franchise-driven fluff goes; it wasn'
Mogsy (MMOGC)
I'm starting to really like Drew Karpyshyn. After reading his first Star Wars: Darth Bane book and now this, I'm convinced this is a guy who can write a concise novel without rushing the story.

Revelation was a pretty short book, yet I was surprised at how much I was able to get out of it. There was some strong character building, great action sequences, and even some background information into the technology and inhabitants of the Mass Effect World.

Like most novels in the video game tie-in ge
Cody
The only reason this kept my attention until the end is because it's Mass Effect and I love those games. I seriously considered quitting a little over halfway through. The writing style leaves a lot to be desired. Drew Karpyshyn should stick to writing games because his prose is juvenile. I read better stories daily in my creative writing classes. It's like he doesn't understand the concept of a consistent point of view. He constantly explains things to the reader that we've either already seen ...more
James Witherspoon
As a huge fan of the Mass Effect universe I wanted to the novels a shot. My expectation for the first volume were matched quite well. Now thanks to this book my loath for Saren has increased tenfold. So glad he meets his demise in the video game. (Woops. Spoilers. Sorry folks.) Loved the plot. Did not had the though of regret while tearing though the pages. Cast of characters were pleasing. Only regret is that the book did not have anyone other then Anderson, Saren, The council, (might have forg ...more
Adrian
Dec 15, 2014 Adrian added it
A good book and quite a surprise as it probably was written after the game came out.
It did a fairly good job of creating and explaining some shallow back story from Mass Effect, even though it did suffer a bit from involving multiple races and mechanics into the story. It did stay loyal to the game material but it also came out as a bit unoriginal around the edges.

The book is fairly short, or at least it seemed so to me. Easy read in any case.
the characters could have been fleshed out a bit more
Leonardo
This book tells the story of Cptn. Anderson (the old admiral in-game 1) as he is tested for specter and his meeting with Saren.

The facts are okay at best. The story has job to do and that is to set up the stage for the events in game 1. It barely accomplish little else.

It did not make me relate with Anderson. It did not make me relate with Kristen, the female lead character. It barely touched on the motives Saren has for his actions, on the book and in game 1.

It did accomplish three things:

1- to
Thee_ron_clark
I don't frequently read literature based on video game universes. I don't seek them out, but I occasionally find some that sound interesting. I am a bit of a gamer and the Mass Effect games are among my favorites so I was happy to read this book when my co-worker offered to lend it to me.

For those who have played the games, this book is a prequel to the game series. It explains how certain characters began on the paths they were on when the games began. I suppose I was a tad spoiled having playe
Daniel Millard
Steven Hendrik
Apr 20, 2014 Steven Hendrik rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Mass Effect fans
I very much enjoyed reading this book, I consider myself a huge Mass Effect fan, the series easily belongs to one of my favourite video game series of all time. This book is written by one of the writers of the first Mass Effect game and you can indeed notice consistency between this book and the first game, most notable the atmosphere. When reading this book I really felt myself transported to the Mass Effect universe so I can only give it props for that.

It provides some interesting back-story
Robert
This is essentially a 1940s potboiler mixed with deleted scenes and a few shooting levels from the Mass Effect series. It boils down to "boy meets girl, girl gets snatched kidnapped by villain, hero-plus-sadist-sidekick raid villain's secret lair..." It doesn't require a genius to work out the rest.

This book is fine for hardcore fans but it adds nothing to flesh out the universe of Mass Effect. Even the use of technology seems strangely old fashioned - they drive around in cars that need headlig
Behnam Riahi
The following review has been copied from http://behnamriahi.tumblr.com

Mass Effect: Revelation, written by Drew Karpyshyn and published by Del Rey, is a third-person, science-fiction written primarily from the point-of-view of Lieutenant David Anderson, Alliance military personnel. It’s 2156—humanity ventured through space and on Mars they discovered an information cache left behind by an extinct race of ancient aliens providing schematics to faster-than-light travel, in addition to other advanc
Jonathan Beckett
I am a huge Mass Effect fan and I made it my ultimate quest to gobble up all the novels and comics associated with the extended universe. Which is the primary reason as to why I decided to read this book.

Drew's writing style is both engaging and descriptive giving readers a clear picture on every scene in the book. Everything from the action to the lore is very well written and will delight most fans of the video game trilogy. However if you aren't familiar with the games it may be difficult to
Gareth Lewry
Originally reviewed at garethlewry.wordpress.com

This is the first novel in the mass effect universe, set before the first game in the series. the story takes place just after the rapid exploration of the galaxy, and briefly covers how humans managed this feet in such a short period of time. Human exploration and integration in to the galactic community is in its infancy.

Drew wrote the original games so as you would expect there is no issue with consistency in the universe. It also introduces som
Saren 5 88 Dec 01, 2013 01:23PM
READ 96 Group 3 am : Journal 3 2 8 Nov 01, 2013 02:11PM
READ 96 Group 3 am : Journal 2 2 5 Nov 01, 2013 02:09PM
READ 96 Group 3 am : Journal Entry 1 1 3 Oct 10, 2013 10:28PM
  • Mass Effect: Redemption
  • Mass Effect: Evolution
  • Mass Effect: Deception (Mass Effect, #4)
  • Aspho Fields (Gears of War, #1)
  • The Art of the Mass Effect Universe
  • The Stolen Throne (Dragon Age, #1)
  • Deus Ex: Icarus Effect
  • Dead Space: Martyr (Dead Space, #1)
  • Firstborn (Starcraft: The Dark Templar Saga, #1)
  • Starcraft: I, Mengsk
  • Halo: Uprising
  • Halo: Evolutions: Essential Tales of the Halo Universe
  • Nova (StarCraft: Ghost, #1)
  • Liberty's Crusade (StarCraft, #1)
  • BioShock: Rapture
20030
Drew Karpyshyn is a Canadian author and game designer. After working at a credit union for some time, he eventually became a game developer. He joined BioWare towards the end of the Baldur's Gate series, and wrote the tie-in novel for Baldur's Gate II: Throne of Bhaal. He stayed with BioWare, where he worked on Neverwinter Nights, and became the Senior Writer on the critically acclaimed Star Wars: ...more
More about Drew Karpyshyn...
Path of Destruction (Star Wars: Darth Bane, #1) Rule of Two (Star Wars: Darth Bane, #2) Dynasty of Evil (Star Wars: Darth Bane, #3) Revan (Star Wars: The Old Republic, #1) Mass Effect: Ascension (Mass Effect, #2)

“Grissom chose to remain completely fair and unbiased: he told every single one of them to go to hell.” 9 likes
“the Sanctuary was reserved for the rich and elite--those with fortunes, not soldiers of fortune.” 1 likes