Age of Access: The New Culture of Hypercapitalism, Where All of Life is a Paid-for Experience

3.79 of 5 stars 3.79  ·  rating details  ·  149 ratings  ·  15 reviews
Visionary activist and author Jeremy Rifkin exposes the real stakes of the new economy, delivering "the clearest summation yet of how the Internet is really changing our lives" (The Seattle Times).

Imagine waking up one day to find that virtually every activity you engage in outside your immediate family has become a "paid-for" experience. It's all part of a fundamental cha

Published March 5th 2001 by "Tarcher" (first published 2000)

Franco
Con “L’era dell’Accesso” Jeremy Rifkin ha realizzato un’opera estremamente interessante. Finalmente qualcuno osserva e analizza l’evoluzione del sistema capitalista con sguardo attento, intelligente e mai ideologico. Il libro è ricchissimo di fatti e di esempi, in alcuni punti persino in modo eccessivo. Unico appunto che ritengo doveroso fare a questo volume è il tentativo un poco ingenuo e già obsoleto di agganciare alcune delle ipotesi proposte all’evoluzione della rete e della cosidetta new-e...more
Ty
I read this book for the first time in 2001. I read it again in 2010 and his prediction was right on point. People interested in making money in this age of access would benefit from this book
Silvia Zuleta
Buen libro. Entretenido y premonitorio de la economía en la que estamos sumergidos.
De a ratos, puede resultar un poco panfletario pero es un libro de obligada lectura para todos aquellos que quieran entender el actual capitalismo del mundo desarrollado.

Un pero: por la temática (nuevas tecnologías...) el libro requiere una urgente actualización de los datos (la obra fue editada en el año 2000) En cualquier caso, las principales premisas del libro siguen más vigentes que nunca.
Tyshawn Knight
This is one of the best books I have ever read and it gets better every year as his predictions come true. It is a book about how to do business in the twenty-first century written at the turn of the century, before Obama! If you want to know what you should be buying and selling instead of real estate then I suggest you read this book. If you have health problems and want to know why you should not take medications that are still in the study stage or join medical studies for treatment, then I...more
Farmerpaco
I read this in 2001. Glad I did. It is actually funny how it is getting easier and easier to have increasingly more accurate projections of future trends and transformations in the Mode of Production.

I do believe that "race against the machine" is a great follow up 10 years later.
Vincent
Un livre précurseur ayant anticipé la transformation de notre économie : dématérialisation des contenus, vente d'expériences, domination des services et du contenu...

Il est encore plus intéressant de se replonger dedans 10 ans après et de voir que Rifkin avait vu juste.
Conor
A bit outdated, but still good. For me it was one of those course books you don't really have time for but read later. I get the feeling that the older you are the more revelations you'd find in it. I'm a bit inside his topic, generation-wise.
Kristina
It was published in 2000 and Rifkin's prediction of how human interconnectedness, real vs. virtual would break down social trust and thereby screwing the economy hard is.so.true.

And totally terrifying.
Gordon
Explores the ramifications of the widespread shift in economics and life from buyer-seller to supplier-user, where all activities outside of your immediate family are paid-access.
David
Feb 09, 2009 David rated it 3 of 5 stars
Recommended to David by: Thomas K Wentz
If you are interested in how society has changed the way it views ownership versus experiences, read this book.
Roman Zenner
Made me nod all along for most parts. Like his observations on the weightless economy.
Nkaempfer
a bit strangely written but very stimulating !
Waltoc
Waltoc added it
Apr 07, 2014
Cindy
Cindy marked it as to-read
Mar 30, 2014
Traci
Traci marked it as to-read
Mar 20, 2014
Luke
Luke added it
Mar 16, 2014
Sarah marked it as to-read
Mar 07, 2014
Sonny Gupta
Sonny Gupta marked it as to-read
Mar 06, 2014
Alli Edwards
Alli Edwards marked it as to-read
Mar 04, 2014
Jym Yau
Jym Yau marked it as to-read
Mar 03, 2014
Walid
Walid marked it as to-read
Feb 22, 2014
Dima Chuprynyuk
Dima Chuprynyuk marked it as to-read
Feb 18, 2014
Ben
Ben marked it as to-read
Feb 15, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 next »
The European Dream: How Europe's Vision of the Future Is Quietly Eclipsing the American Dream The Empathic Civilization: The Race To Global Consciousness In A World In Crisis The Third Industrial Revolution: How Lateral Power Is Transforming Energy, the Economy, and the World The End of Work Beyond Beef: The Rise and Fall of the Cattle Culture