Start by marking “Age of Access: The New Culture of Hypercapitalism, Where All of Life is a Paid-for Experience” as Want to Read:

3.77 of 5 stars 3.77  ·  rating details  ·  168 ratings  ·  12 reviews
Visionary activist and author Jeremy Rifkin exposes the real stakes of the new economy, delivering "the clearest summation yet of how the Internet is really changing our lives" (The Seattle Times).

Imagine waking up one day to find that virtually every activity you engage in outside your immediate family has become a "paid-for" experience. It's all part of a fundamental cha

Published March 5th 2001 by "Tarcher" (first published 2000)

To ask other readers questions about Age of Access, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Age of Access

Franco
Con “L’era dell’Accesso” Jeremy Rifkin ha realizzato un’opera estremamente interessante. Finalmente qualcuno osserva e analizza l’evoluzione del sistema capitalista con sguardo attento, intelligente e mai ideologico. Il libro è ricchissimo di fatti e di esempi, in alcuni punti persino in modo eccessivo. Unico appunto che ritengo doveroso fare a questo volume è il tentativo un poco ingenuo e già obsoleto di agganciare alcune delle ipotesi proposte all’evoluzione della rete e della cosidetta new-e ...more
Ty
I read this book for the first time in 2001. I read it again in 2010 and his prediction was right on point. People interested in making money in this age of access would benefit from this book
Silvia Romano
Buen libro. Entretenido y premonitorio de la economía en la que estamos sumergidos.
De a ratos, puede resultar un poco panfletario pero es un libro de obligada lectura para todos aquellos que quieran entender el actual capitalismo del mundo desarrollado.

Un pero: por la temática (nuevas tecnologías...) el libro requiere una urgente actualización de los datos (la obra fue editada en el año 2000) En cualquier caso, las principales premisas del libro siguen más vigentes que nunca.
Tyshawn Knight
This is one of the best books I have ever read and it gets better every year as his predictions come true. It is a book about how to do business in the twenty-first century written at the turn of the century, before Obama! If you want to know what you should be buying and selling instead of real estate then I suggest you read this book. If you have health problems and want to know why you should not take medications that are still in the study stage or join medical studies for treatment, then I ...more
Farmerpaco
I read this in 2001. Glad I did. It is actually funny how it is getting easier and easier to have increasingly more accurate projections of future trends and transformations in the Mode of Production.

I do believe that "race against the machine" is a great follow up 10 years later.
Vincent
Un livre précurseur ayant anticipé la transformation de notre économie : dématérialisation des contenus, vente d'expériences, domination des services et du contenu...

Il est encore plus intéressant de se replonger dedans 10 ans après et de voir que Rifkin avait vu juste.
Conor
A bit outdated, but still good. For me it was one of those course books you don't really have time for but read later. I get the feeling that the older you are the more revelations you'd find in it. I'm a bit inside his topic, generation-wise.
Kristina
It was published in 2000 and Rifkin's prediction of how human interconnectedness, real vs. virtual would break down social trust and thereby screwing the economy hard is.so.true.

And totally terrifying.
Gordon
Explores the ramifications of the widespread shift in economics and life from buyer-seller to supplier-user, where all activities outside of your immediate family are paid-access.
David
Feb 09, 2009 David rated it 3 of 5 stars
Recommended to David by: Thomas K Wentz
If you are interested in how society has changed the way it views ownership versus experiences, read this book.
Roman Zenner
Made me nod all along for most parts. Like his observations on the weightless economy.
Nkaempfer
a bit strangely written but very stimulating !
xin bo zhao tzu
xin bo zhao tzu marked it as to-read
Dec 01, 2014
Ricardo Sevilla
Ricardo Sevilla is currently reading it
Nov 27, 2014
Carlo
Carlo added it
Nov 11, 2014
Victoria
Victoria is currently reading it
Nov 07, 2014
Riccardo Savoldo
Riccardo Savoldo marked it as to-read
Oct 16, 2014
Andy Caffrey
Andy Caffrey marked it as to-read
Oct 12, 2014
Nick
Nick marked it as to-read
Sep 29, 2014
Andrew Nedelchev
Andrew Nedelchev marked it as to-read
Sep 28, 2014
  • The Great Disruption: Human Nature and the Reconstitution of Social Order
  • Information Anxiety
  • Post-Capitalist Society
  • La Buena Suerte: Claves de la Prosperidad
  • The Global Village: Transformations in World Life and Media in the 21st Century
  • The Hacker Ethic: A Radical Approach to the Philosophy of Business
  • Nexus: Small Worlds and the Groundbreaking Theory of Networks
  • The Internet Galaxy: Reflections on the Internet, Business, and Society
  • The Consumer Society: Myths and Structures
  • The Technological Society
The Third Industrial Revolution: How Lateral Power Is Transforming Energy, the Economy, and the World The Empathic Civilization: The Race To Global Consciousness In A World In Crisis The European Dream: How Europe's Vision of the Future Is Quietly Eclipsing the American Dream The End of Work The Hydrogen Economy