Start by marking “Edmund Bertram's Diary” as Want to Read:
Edmund Bertram's Diary

Edmund Bertram's Diary (Jane Austen Heroes #4)

3.53  ·  Rating Details  ·  691 Ratings  ·  74 Reviews
Edmund Bertram's well ordered life at Mansfield Park is turned upside down by the arrival of the bewitching Miss Crawford. She brings the excitement of the fashionable world to the countryside, quickly captivating him with her beauty and wit. But she is not all she seems to be, and if Edmund is to find the happiness he deserves he will need the help of all his friends, not ...more
Published November 30th 2007 by Robert Hale

To ask other readers questions about Edmund Bertram's Diary, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Edmund Bertram's Diary

Michelle
I should first and foremost make clear that I am a purist where Jane Austen is concerned, and that Mansfield Park and Persuasion alternate as my favorite Austen novel.

Amanda Grange has many good things going for her. The language is mostly convincing and the characters have continuity with Austen's own. When dialog or events coincide with something already portrayed in Mansfield Park, Grange is pretty faithful in her own portrayal. Most importantly, Edmund Bertram's Diary is a light, funny, enjo
Gretchen
May 19, 2010 Gretchen rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I personally loved Mansfield Park. I admire Fanny and I really liked Edmund, when he wasn't obsessed over Mary Crawford. I kind of think Edmund Bertram's Diary was just a mirror of Mansfield Park (it was kind of hard not to be as Fanny and Edmund grew up together and Edmund is in most chapters of the book). It covered in a couple pages Edmund's trip to visit Mr Owen and what he did while Fanny was in Portsmouth, even though I wanted a bit more of that: it would have been nice to read something I ...more
Alice
Feb 23, 2012 Alice rated it it was ok
Une fois n'est pas coutume, ma note est un petit peu sévère. Si l'écriture agréable d'Amanda Grange et son respect pour l'oeuvre de Jane Austen sont toujours bien présent dans cette réécriture de Mansfield Park du point de vue d'Edmund, je pense que l'intêret que l'on porte à chaque "Diary" est proportionnel à l'amour que l'on a pour chaque héros austenien. Vous l'avez donc compris, je ne suis pas une grande fan d'Edmund, ni même du couple qu'il forme avec Fanny.

Cela ne m'a pas empêché d'espér
Meredith (Austenesque Reviews)
Amanda Grange has done it again! I love her series on Austen men! This is my fourth book and to be honest, I was a little wary of it because Edmund is not one of my favorite Austen heroes. Like in her other books, Ms. Grange did her homework, her retelling follows the course of Mansfield Park, with accurate dates, events, and dialogue taking place.

Unfortunately, because Ms. Grange is so diligent with her work, it means a lot of Edmund's diary entries are consumed with talk of Mary Crawford. Thi
Cameron Toney
Have you ever wondered about the innermost thoughts of the blandest character in Jane Austen's blandest novel? Then have I got the book for you.
Truth be told, I was quite interested when I picked up this book. Edmund Bertram is not my favorite character, but maybe there would be an interesting inner monologue! Maybe there were universes inside this quiet country parson, and I've always liked the diary format. It would be interesting!
Alas no.
Credit where its due, Grange has done the parts of the
Christine Cooper
Jul 18, 2013 Christine Cooper rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is probably the best Jane Austen sequel/spin off I've ever read. The voice seems true to what Austen would write and although I know how the story ends I was excitedly turning the pages wondering when Edmund had realized that he loved Fanny.
Elisabetta
Jun 22, 2015 Elisabetta rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: babele
Mia cara Grange,
mi dispiace, hai fallito!
Se la tua intenzione era quella di farmi avvicinare ad Edmund, di farmi capire gli aspetti e le decisioni dettate dal suo cuore, mi dispiace, mia cara scrittrice, ma con me non ce l’hai fatta…
Ma ti prego, non pensare che sia colpa tua.
Ti confesso che sono partita già prevenuta su Edmund, quindi il tuo romanzo non ha fatto altro che confermare i miei precedenti sentimenti.
Dai, a me puoi confessarlo, anche a te non piace Edmund, vero?
Forse hai cercato di sp
Georgiana 1792
Insipido come Edmund

Avevo messo troppe aspettative nella lettura di questo Diario, forse perché Amanda Grange ci ha abituate male, forse perché nella sua Intervista l'autrice ci aveva parlato in toni entusiastici di Edmund, un personaggio che aveva riscoperto grazie alla stesura di questo libro.
Quindi speravo di riscoprire anch'io questo personaggio, di vederlo forse un po' meno innamorato di Mary Crawford – che, peraltro, è fedelissima all'originale di Jane Austen, quindi mi sembra inspiegabile
Luciana Darce
Jul 03, 2014 Luciana Darce rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Bem… isso foi curioso… Dos romances da Austen, Mansfield Park é o que menos gosto (gosto de todos, mas todo mundo tem suas preferências...), e no entanto... no entanto, Edmund Bertram’s Diary foi meu diário favorito da série da Amanda Grange até agora (isso porque ainda falta ler o do Mr. Tilney e sempre gostei muito do Tilney...).

Irritava-me profundamente a forma como Bertram ficava totalmente cego por Mary e machucava Fanny e como ela se calava e deixava que ele – que tecnicamente era o moço b
 Gigi Ann
Aug 11, 2012 Gigi Ann rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Jane Austen Fans
This is the first book I've read in this series, by Amanda Grange's reworking of a Jane Austen story from the man's point of view. This novel is based on "Mansfield Park" but from Edmund Bertram's viewpoint.

To begin the book we see where Fanny Price arrives at Mansfield Park at 10 years old. Edmund befriends her, looks after her as she grows older. In his writings he writes a lot about Mary Crawford, because she was the woman he was in love with, even though she didn't really love him.

He continu
Jess Swann
J'avoue que j'étais assez impatiente de lire les pensées d'Edmund, notamment au sujet de Fanny et de Mary et je suis un peu déçue par ce journal. C'est bien écrit mais cela n'apporte pas grand chose de neuf par rapport au roman de Jane Austen. En vérité jusqu'à la page 237 c'était un peu de la redite. En revanche j'aime la description du moment où Edmund comprend la vraie nature de Mary c'était bien amené tout comme le passage où Fanny lui montre la lettre. La relation entre Fanny et Edmund étai ...more
Mar 07, 2011 Laura rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: austen-themed
A very solid alternative to re-reading the original. I'm just not sure if that is a compliment or not! I would probably have given it four stars for how much I enjoyed reading it, but I think a lot of that enjoyment came from Jane Austen and not Amanda Grange. There's very, very little added except a slightly deeper exploration of Edmund's stress at being left in charge of the estate and one very nicely done scene where he sees Fanny in a brand new light. Fanny's end character is nicely portraye ...more
Amy Jones
I actually enjoyed this book far more than I enjoyed "Mansfield Park," which should be taken as less a comment on this book's quality and more a comment on how little I like Austen's novel. Fortunately, I have her other books as a comfort.
Allison
Apr 04, 2014 Allison rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Another triumph for Grange in her "Diary" series. Although my least favorite of Austen's books, I was still able to enjoy the story of Mansfield Park told from another perspective.
Stefanie Kellum
This is the only one of this series that I have read before actually reading the book it compliments. Mansfield Park is the only Jane Austen book I haven't read yet (I have seen 2 of the movies - the 90's one and the Billie Piper one.), and it's actually probably good that I read this first. I think if I'd had Fanny's perspective first, I wouldn't have wanted to read Edward's point-of-view, but having read his side first, it's a bit easier to stomach his infatuation with Miss Crawford and blindn ...more
Milka
Jun 11, 2010 Milka rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2009
I could say that Edmund Bertram is my favorite Austen hero after Darcy. When I heard about this book I knew right away that I would love it. And I did, it is the best Jane Austen related Diary sequel I've even read.

The book begins when Fanny arrives to Mansfield Park and she and Edmund become friends. From the book you can totally feel the strong bond between Fanny and Edmund. When Mary Crawford comes into the picture you can really feel the struggle Edmund goes through. My favorite part of the
Konstantina_pap
An enjoyable read, but not as good as the rest books of this series. The main problem is that it doesn't offer much rather than the story that we already know from Mansfield Park. I was hoping to get some insight on how Edmund came to be in love with Fanny, but here was also sudden and without a sufficient reason.
Helene
Mar 05, 2014 Helene rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
It's always intriguing to go in the head of the male protagonist, especially Mr. Bertram's head and thoughts. Liked it very much :)
Nikki
Oct 13, 2015 Nikki rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Fanny Price has always been one of my favorite Austen heroines. And it was good to hear her story from the man who loves her.
Mary Beth
Jul 10, 2013 Mary Beth rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Mansfield Park has always been my least loved Jane Austen book. I read this diary with trepidation. I enjoyed Tilney's Diary, and MR. Darcy's Diary -- but I also enjoyed those male characters in the original books. Edmund was a little wishy-washy for me.
However, that being said, I thoroughly enjoyed this version of MAnsfield Park. Amanda Grange gave a spine and stronger character to Edmund. She also "explained" the gradual realization of Edmund's love for Fanny. Fanny, herself, was more likable
Filmtvgeek
Jul 03, 2016 Filmtvgeek rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: adaptations
Not as good as Captain Wentworth's diary but still a great read. Maybe since I prefer Wentworth to begin with.

Amanda Grange has so many of the Austen details right that it feels like you're actually reading the original book again. I love how Edmund realises he loves Fanny and feels bad for how he treated her. Something we did not see in the original and a problem for me.

The only reason I didn't give it five stars was because, and I know the original focuses on Mary/Edmund, but I felt like it wo
Kristen Fort
It's been a long time since I've read Mansfield Park; this was a nice variation of the story, but it felt like it was missing something.
Sonia Wellington
Oct 04, 2015 Sonia Wellington rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A fun new way to view Mansfield Park.
Ranielle
Patricia Rozema's 1999 film version did such a wonderful job of romanticizing what is, in my opinion, one of Jane Austen's least romantic tales and saddest heroines. I was hoping for more on the part of Edmund Bertram through his "diary", a better understanding of Mary Crawford's allure and more hints from the very beginning that Fanny Price was the girl and then the woman he loved more than any other. But Edmund remains fairly clueless, even by his "own" words, and there is nothing thrillingly ...more
Faby
May 01, 2014 Faby rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Delightful! Amanda Grange does a wonderful job at recreating Jane Austen's books from the heroes' perspective, without disappointing Austen fans or deteriorating Austen's novel. I enjoyed everything of this book!! :D Mansfield Park is one of my favorite Austen books, and now Amanda Grange's novel is one of my favorites too!! :)
Stacey
***Possible Spoilers***

This wasn't bad, but it is weak in comparison to Ms. Grange's other Diaries. At times it was downright boring. I would have liked to see a glimpse of Edmund and Fanny's life at Mansfield after their marriage but it was not mentioned. The ending was rather abrupt as if the author tired of writing and wanted to get it over with.

Edmund & Fanny are kind, low-key, considerate characters. Perhaps they are not the type to inspire passionate sparks but this book could have us
Bettielee
Nov 19, 2014 Bettielee rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: janeite-fiction
Absolute love. I love this series of retellings from the heroes perspective from Amanda Grange. She takes hold of the story and retells it, as I said, from the heroes pov from his journal. She fills in the other side of the story so well, so everything just fits like a glove. She takes care to make the characters act like the same people you know from the books. I loved Edmund's warm personality. He was everything Edmund should be.... and he's not my favorite hero. I highly recommend this for an ...more
Elizabeth Hunter
Apr 07, 2010 Elizabeth Hunter rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: uncat
I was impressed that Grange managed to find enough material in the character of Edward Bertram to write a story that is more than just a mirror of the events in Mansfield Park. His view of Fanny, from childhood through adulthood, and his awareness of the changes in her that are harder for Austen readers to see from such a close perspective, is really valuable. The tone is very even, which suits the main character but detracts from the potential drama, so that overall it's a very calm read.
Anastasia
I really enjoy this series, and I thought she captured Edmund particularly well. I really enjoy Mansfield Park in general, and it was interesting to read about it from his point of view. I only gave it three stars simply because Edmund himself was so infuriating! Every time he saw something about Mary Crawford he didn't like, he justified it somehow, and it made me want to scream. Which I guess means the author wrote him perfectly, but I never realized just how blind he really was. It's irritati ...more
Angela Demott
Another reviewer made this comment, which accurately sums up how I feel about this book: "Would probably have given it four stars for how much I enjoyed reading it, but I think a lot of that enjoyment came from Jane Austen and not Amanda Grange."

The language was surprisingly believable, and the characters were true to form. It was mostly repetitive and didn't add anything extra to Mansfield Park. Since I wasn't expecting much, I was pleasantly surprised.
  • Willoughby's Return: A Tale of Almost Irresistible Temptation
  • Jane Fairfax
  • The Darcys Give a Ball: A Gentle Joke, Jane Austen Style
  • A Match For Mary Bennet: Can A Serious Young Lady Ever Find Her Way To Love?
  • Mr. Darcy's Great Escape: A Tale of the Darcys & the Bingleys (Pride and Prejudice Continues, # 3)
  • From Lambton to Longbourn: A Pride & Prejudice Variation
  • The Matters at Mansfield: Or, The Crawford Affair (Mr. & Mrs. Darcy Mysteries, #4)
  • George Knightley, Esquire: Charity Envieth Not
  • The Darcy Cousins
  • The Confession of Fitzwilliam Darcy
  • Darcy and Anne: It Is a Truth Universally Acknowledged That Lady Catherine Will Never Find a Husband for Anne...
  • None But You (Frederick Wentworth, Captain, #1)
  • A Darcy Christmas
  • Emma & Knightley: The Sequel to Jane Austen's Emma
  • The Exploits & Adventures of Miss Alethea Darcy (Darcy, #2)
  • The Ladies of Longbourn (The Pemberley Chronicles, #4)
  • More Letters from Pemberley: 1814-1819: A Further Continuation of Jane Austen's Pride and Prejudice
Amanda Grange was born in Yorkshire and spent her teenage years reading Jane Austen and Georgette Heyer whilst also finding time to study music at Nottingham University. She has had twenty-five novels published including six Jane Austen retellings, which look at events from the heroes' points of view. She has also had two books published under different names: Murder at Whitegates Manor (as Eleano ...more
More about Amanda Grange...

Jane Austen Heroes (6 books)
  • Mr. Darcy's Diary (Jane Austen Heroes, #1)
  • Mr. Knightley's Diary (Jane Austen Heroes, #2)
  • Captain Wentworth's Diary (Jane Austen Heroes, #3)
  • Colonel Brandon's Diary (Jane Austen Heroes, #5)
  • Henry Tilney's Diary (Jane Austen Heroes, #6)