Writing for Your Life: Discovering the Story of Your Life's Journey

Writing for Your Life: Discovering the Story of Your Life's Journey

3.96 of 5 stars 3.96  ·  rating details  ·  106 ratings  ·  13 reviews
In the tradition of Annie Dillard and Natalie Goldberg, this resource for writers and non-writers alike shows the act of writing to be a dynamic means of knowing, healing, and creating the body, mind, and spirit.
Published November 20th 1992 by HarperOne

To ask other readers questions about Writing for Your Life, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Writing for Your Life

Rebecca
Pros:

-This book has some of the most creative and deepest writing prompts I've ever experienced.
-Those who follow the writing exercises will derive both personal and professional insight.
-This book can be used by writers of all levels.

Cons:
-The author disses "genre" writing--particularly horror and romance--as lacking inner truth. Sure, there is genre writing that is purely commercial entertainment, but there are many exceptions (the work of Stephen King, Philip K. Dick, Audrey Niffenegger, Dodi...more
Joel Friedlander
This book is partly a writing instruction book that relies on Deena Metzger's deep insight into human psychology and part self-therapy. Following her exercises is an incredible opportunity for any writer to "go deeper" on the themes and stories that are the most meaningful for us. While some of the later chapters didn't interest me as much, working through her writing prompts lead me to many marvelous and unsuspected insights and stories.

Highly recommended.
Linda
I love this book! Nearly every line is quotable about the power of story to expand our awareness and our lives, how our life is lived out as part of archetypal myths. She touches on all the important things that inspire us to write--creativity, growth, transformation, digging deep into our souls for the wisdom that is hidden. Read it for the first time, read it again. It will fill your soul.
Early
Sep 29, 2010 Early added it
Deena was my mentor and neighbor for several years. I know most of the stories in this book from having been in her class in the 1980's Excellent for the writer's library, be she new or seasoned.
♥ Ibrahim ♥
The book has some good ideas on writing and writing our life, writing the self in us. However, the book chases rabbits and one has to bear with her digression and jumping from one subject to the next. Well, I felt like I needed to plough and it was not reading smoothly like the books of Julia Cameron. Julia got me spoiled, I guess. I also don't like the fact that she is a bit too much New Age, even though I consider myself open-minded and I have plenty of space within me for different schools of...more
Shaktima Brien
This book inspired me to polish and publish my memoir. It is an invaluable tool to awaken creativity and dig deep in your own "larger story" (archetypes, fairy tales, myths). The author ends with a chapter on "Writing as a Spiritual Practice", a promise of fill your days with meaning.
Heidi Draffin
I have purchased eight or nine copies of this book over the years to give to friends, knowing how hard it is to act on other people's reading suggestions. It is hard not to want to spend time with the author, walking with her thoughts. She feels like someone I'd be glad dropped by and stayed for dinner. She did stay in my thoughts and is there whenever I need a wise friend so to speak with. The writing exercise "Things I didn't know I loved" opened a portal for me and I stepped through. It was a...more
HeavyReader
Jan 21, 2012 HeavyReader rated it 3 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: writers and folks who want to be writers
I read some of this book when I lived in Austin. I even did some writing exercises from this book and really liked the poems I ended up with. I don't remember why I lost interest in this book. I do know it sat on my shelf for a long, long time and at some point before I moved, I sold it or gave it away. I think that was a dumb move. I would like to have a copy of this book again.
Phila Hoopes
This is a book not for reading but for working...one to read and reread and follow step by step, engaging in writing not only as a path to greater self-knowledge, but also to fit one's personal story into a grander mosaic. Deena Metzger is a trailblazer on the sacred Way of Story for healing, community building and peacemaking, and this is her masterful guidebook.
Jessica
I recall finding this somewhat helpful in teaching, but I don't remember the specifics of the book. I will have to go dig it out of the basement.
Lisa
Feb 21, 2012 Lisa added it
Writing for Your Life : Discovering the Story of Your Life's Journey by Deena Metzger (1992)
Diana
Good writing practices and exercises but kind of difficult to get into.
Jean Marie Angelo
Great ideas and excercises for those speaking their truth.
Evalyn
Evalyn added it
Aug 27, 2014
Ercan
Ercan is currently reading it
Aug 27, 2014
Nancycoopline
Nancycoopline is currently reading it
Aug 06, 2014
Deeon
Deeon marked it as to-read
Aug 03, 2014
Beth
Beth marked it as to-read
Jul 26, 2014
Thing Two
Thing Two marked it as to-read
Jul 23, 2014
Marie Ortiz
Marie Ortiz marked it as to-read
Jul 24, 2014
Anna A
Anna A marked it as to-read
Jul 08, 2014
Caron
Caron marked it as to-read
Jul 04, 2014
K
K marked it as to-read
Jul 01, 2014
Ellie O'Leary
Ellie O'Leary marked it as to-read
Jun 24, 2014
Marika Alexander
Marika Alexander marked it as to-read
Jun 17, 2014
Jerry
Jerry added it
Jun 15, 2014
Tree and the Woman Who Slept With Men to Take the War Out of Them A Sabbath Among The Ruins The Other Hand Entering the Ghost River: Meditations on the Theory and Practice of Healing Looking For The Faces Of God