Start by marking “Writing a Life: Teaching Memoir to Sharpen Insight, Shape Meaning--And Triumph Over Tests” as Want to Read:

Memoir is more than writing down memories; it's a powerful motivator for children to write and revise. Working with familiar material, students explore their lives, learn new and sophisticated elements of craft, and engage deeply with content to uncover personal and universal meaning. By teaching with memoir, you can help students exceed official standards for writing, bot ...more
Published August 1st 2005 by Heinemann Educational Books

To ask other readers questions about Writing a Life, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Writing a Life

Joy
Mar 31, 2014 Joy rated it it was amazing
I was at the Rose Spicola Conference a Texas Woman's University this weekend and Kathrine Bomer was the keynote speaker. After her talk, I had to pick up this book.

Don't let the subtitle throw you. When I saw "Teaching Memoir" I though it was her writing a memoir about teacher. It is actually a book about teaching kids to write their own memoirs.

Kathrine Bomer is a big fan of writing workshop, where students have the opportunity to write about what they want to write and then revise and publish
Trina
Aug 23, 2016 Trina rated it it was amazing
"Every time we know someone's life story, we become rich with perspectives that we wouldn't have had without this offering. We learn about different places, time periods, and cultures. We find out that we are not alone in our grief, our anger, our intense feelings of love and we learn how to see beneath the skin of people who might have felt "other" to us before." (pg. 27) I could deeply relate to this quote and will hold on to it for a long time. Katherine Bomer eloquently articulated exactly w ...more
Karen
Sep 04, 2014 Karen rated it really liked it
Excellent book to inspire a memoir reading/writing unit with my middle school class.
Shannon
Dec 02, 2012 Shannon rated it it was amazing
This book was incredibly helpful. My students' memoirs are far more insightful and go beyond the "one story" memoir. Their writing has improved as well, I think they have gained a deeper sense of the writing process through many of the activities and ideas that I presented to them from this book. Thank you!
Tracy Nomensen
Sep 29, 2010 Tracy Nomensen rated it it was amazing
The only thing better than this book for memoir writing is taking a class from Katherine Bomer herself. Katherine inspires us as writers to be bold, take risks and tell our stories.
Sarah Broas
Aug 18, 2012 Sarah Broas rated it really liked it
LOVE LOVE LOVE Katherine Bomer and her work. This book is well written and finely crafted. Not 100% sure that all the strategies can be used with older kids, but worth the read ;)
Belinda
Jun 10, 2010 Belinda rated it it was amazing
Great book. It is a must read for all classroom teachers. This book has practical ways to get students to write with meaning. It is a must have.
Sara
Jun 11, 2011 Sara rated it really liked it
Really great, especially if you are already familiar with fundamentals of writing workshops. Has good ideas for the idea generating process.
Kim
Jul 17, 2011 Kim is currently reading it
Looking for insight into the writing process....
Sonja Wright
Sonja Wright marked it as to-read
Sep 24, 2016
BookDB
BookDB marked it as to-read
Sep 20, 2016
Kris Kliemann
Kris Kliemann rated it it was amazing
Aug 08, 2016
Kayla Pinckley
Kayla Pinckley rated it really liked it
Aug 03, 2016
Heather Marley
Heather Marley marked it as to-read
Aug 02, 2016
Ashley
Ashley rated it it was amazing
Jul 12, 2016
Stephan Wyatt
Stephan Wyatt rated it it was amazing
Jul 08, 2016
Cindi
Cindi marked it as to-read
Jun 17, 2016
Cassie Rae
Cassie Rae marked it as to-read
Jun 13, 2016
c
c is currently reading it
Jul 07, 2016
Tristen
Tristen rated it it was amazing
May 01, 2016
Molly
Molly is currently reading it
May 07, 2016
Anna Lise
Anna Lise marked it as to-read
Apr 09, 2016
Vicky Frankel
Vicky Frankel is currently reading it
Mar 29, 2016
Carrie Beth
Carrie Beth is currently reading it
Mar 11, 2016
Walsh Library
Walsh Library marked it as to-read
Feb 16, 2016
Lindsay
Lindsay marked it as to-read
Jul 12, 2016
Leachliteracyhotmail.com
Leachliteracyhotmail.com marked it as to-read
Jan 17, 2016
Katie
Katie rated it really liked it
Dec 08, 2015