Start by marking “This Is Your Afterlife” as Want to Read:
This Is Your Afterlife

This Is Your Afterlife

When the one boy you crushed on in life can't seem to stay away in death, it's hard to be a normal teen when you're a teen paranormal.

Sixteen-year-old Keira Nolan has finally got what she wanted—the captain of the football team in her bedroom. Problem is he’s not in the flesh. He’s a ghost and she’s the only one who can see him.

Keira's determined to do anything to find Jim
Published October 21st 2014 by Bloomsbury Spark

To ask other readers questions about This Is Your Afterlife, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about This Is Your Afterlife

Alterations by Stephanie  ScottThe Art of Falling by Jenny KaczorowskiThe Sound of Us by Ashley PostonDeliver Me by Kate Jarvik BirchUntil We End by Frankie Brown
Bloomsbury Spark!
10th out of 33 books — 50 voters
My Life Next Door by Huntley FitzpatrickWe Were Liars by E. LockhartThe Summer I Turned Pretty by Jenny HanOn the Fence by Kasie WestWhat I Thought Was True by Huntley Fitzpatrick
Lens Flare Covers
27th out of 192 books — 81 voters

More lists with this book...

Maja (The Nocturnal Library)
This is Your Afterlife first came to my attention because of its beautiful cover and the person behind it – our very own Jenny from Seedlings and Supernatural Snark. The cover reflects the book perfectly: it is upbeat, sweet and light. Just what the doctor ordered. If you’re looking for a comfort read, look no further. This book will make you laugh, swoon, and despite its title, it will leave you smiling ear to ear.

Keira’s former crush and her school’s football star shows up one day in
Dark Faerie Tales
Jun 27, 2015 Dark Faerie Tales rated it it was ok
Review courtesy of Dark Faerie Tales

Quick & Dirty: This story was disappointingly underwhelming.

Opening Sentence: “Who died?”

The Review:

Keira’s life isn’t exactly normal. For one, she has the ability to read tarot cards and she keeps feeling the spirit of her dead grandmother close by. And secondly, the newest development, Keira is clairvoyant and can see ghosts: specifically, the most popular athlete in the school, Jimmy. When he shows up in her room bleeding from a massive head gash and no
Abbie
Jan 03, 2015 Abbie rated it really liked it
I am a non-believer of lost spirits and ghosts. It is my firm belief that when a person dies he or she leaves the Earth whether or not they still have any unfinished business. I think that when people say they can communicate with the dead it's not really the souls of the deceased but something dangerous. God claims His people and I believe that He wouldn't allow them to linger when He could take them to eternal paradise.

This is Your Afterlife is actually a quick and enjoyable read. I liked Keir
Abbie
Oct 14, 2014 Abbie rated it liked it
Shelves: read-to-review
(I received a copy from Netgalley, in exchange for an honest review.)

This Is Your Afterlife was an okay read.

Keira and Jimmy wee both okay characters, but i didn't love them.

This started out alright, but i lost interest after a bit. The pacing was a bit too slow for me, and the storyline was so similar to other books i've read, that i felt slightly bored.

When the killer was revealed at the end, it wasn't a shock. I had my suspicions on who it was for quite a long time before it got revealed.
Tina
Nov 12, 2014 Tina rated it it was amazing
I opened THIS IS YOUR AFTERLIFE with high expectations, having heard industry buzz and read an amazing review in USA TODAY. Often when the bar is set that high, there seems to be nowhere to go but down…but this was definitely not the case. All the praise for Vanessa Barneveld’s debut novel held true. I adored it!

The premise—a teen helping her deceased crush to solve his own murder—grabbed me instantly. Main character Keira’s authenticity and spunk drew me further in, as did the well-developed c
Amy Patrick
Jan 22, 2015 Amy Patrick rated it it was amazing
This book grabbed me from the beginning and didn't let go. I literally read it in one day because I had to keep turning the pages. It was clever and funny with a great mystery element. The part where we learn what really happened between Keira and Dan hurt my heart, but I loved the way things turned out. Great YA read!
Julie Mulhern
Nov 03, 2014 Julie Mulhern rated it it was amazing
Charming.

Well-written. Well-plotted. Creative.

What would you do if you developed the ability to see ghosts? And if the first ghost you meet just happens to be the boy you've been crushing on? And what if he was murdered?

A wonderful story!
Helen
Jan 16, 2015 Helen rated it it was amazing
Loved this book! The story line and engaging characters drew me in from the start.
The budding romance made me feel young again and the paranormal plot was a page turner!
Thanks Vanessa Barneveld, I very much look forward to your next book.
Ely (Tea & Titles)
Oct 21, 2014 Ely (Tea & Titles) rated it really liked it
Originally posted at A Book So Fathomless

This book was sent to me for review by the publisher but this in no way alters my opinions of the book.

This Is Your Afterlife is a really fun, quick YA paranormal read. It’s one of those books that is just so easy to read that it seems like you’ve only just started the book and then suddenly it’s over.

Keira Nolan is the main character and she’s just an easy character to read about. She was incredibly relatable as she’s dealing with the grief of losing her
Marianne Curley
May 16, 2015 Marianne Curley rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favourite-books
You can’t help but love Kiera with her flaws and kind-hearted nature. She has a genuineness about her that is completely real. She is grieving for the loss of her grandmother, and made a mistake that saw her lose the boy she loved. Then one day she discovers she has supernatural powers when the heartthrob from her school turns up in her bedroom, except Jimmy is dead and only she can see him. And Jimmy’s brother is Dan, the boy that Kiera once loved. Together they set out to solve the mystery of ...more
(Source: I received a digital copy of this book for free on a read-to-review basis. Thanks to Bloomsbury USA Children's Books and NetGalley.)
Keira is shocked when her old crush turns up in her room, but she’s even more shocked when she realises that he is a ghost.
Can Keira work out how Jimmy died? And can she bring his killer to justice?

This was an okay story, but I lost interest.

Keira was a helpful girl, and wanted to help Jimmy’s family discover what had happened to him. I thought Jimmy was ma
Nan Dixon
Oct 25, 2014 Nan Dixon rated it it was amazing
What a fantastic book! Of course I stayed up most of the night finishing the book! Wonderful debut. Cannot wait for more wonderful books from Vanessa.
Kim
Oct 21, 2014 Kim rated it really liked it
This is Your Afterlife is the debut novel from Vanessa Barnevald and I can't wait to see more from her. I enjoyed the characters and the story line was rather engrossing, although there were moments that were perhaps a little slow in pacing.

There were so many things to like about the main character, Kiera. I love flawed characters, characters not created to be anything more than a real person. That is Kiera. She is not the popular girl. She has made mistakes. She has real problems. That makes he
Kristi-The Book Faery
This Is Your Afterlife by Vanessa Barneveld is a super adorable and quick read. I love a good ghost story and I wasn’t disappointed. Kiera is 16 years old and solving a murder mystery with her ex-best friend, Dan. Thing is, the murder victim, Jimmy, Dan’s brother, is helping!

What a good story! I really enjoyed the way everything unfolded – Dan and Kiera were best friends until Kiera confided she always had a bit of a crush on his more gregarious brother, Jimmy. After that, things were never quit
Barbara Gerry
Feb 28, 2015 Barbara Gerry rated it it was amazing
Once I started this book, I couldn’t put it down. It’s a fun, engaging read with just enough paranormal mixed with the romance. I totally enjoyed this book and will look for more from Vanessa Barneveld.
Shelly Alexander
What a brilliant concept! Seeing ghosts, especially the boy you've had a crush on?! I look forward to reading more stories from Vanessa.
Amanda Ashby
Oct 28, 2014 Amanda Ashby rated it it was amazing
Loved it! This is a gorgeous book full of dreamy descriptions, strong characters and sharp wit.
Laura Trentham
Nov 22, 2014 Laura Trentham rated it it was amazing
Wonderful debut! Can't wait for her next book.
Lauren R.
3.5 stars. This was super quick and interesting! I wish the story had more than 200 pages because I could have read more about the paranormal things and these characters. Unfortunately I predicted the ending (apparently I'm getting good at that?) so it did diminish some of the fun for me. Overall I'd recommend it for sure!
Alexandra
Dec 13, 2014 Alexandra rated it liked it
Shelves: netgalley
For my full review of This Is Your Afterlife as well as other reviews and features check out my blog SleepsOnTables.

This Is Your Afterlife follows Keira as she discovers that the boy she’s crushed on who recently went missing, has in fact died. Jimmy shows up as a ghost to Keira and they decide that he was murdered. Keira enlists the help of Jimmy’s brother, Dan, who also used to be her best friend to guide Jimmy to the truth and his afterlife. As they try to learn more about what happened to Ji
Farrah
Sep 22, 2014 Farrah rated it really liked it
A light, sweet, and enjoyable YA read, This Is You Afterlife was a lovely book that I really liked. It was a nice, fun read and I thought it was great.

Keira was a good heroine. She was easy to relate to, with her grief for her recently departed grandmother, her old crush that literally came back to haunt her, and her unresolved feelings for Dan. She was an overall likable character and I thought she was lovely.

The two other major player in the story were Dan and Jimmy.
Jimmy was a sweetie. Lighth
Kate
When the most popular boy from school's ghost shows up in your bedroom, what do you do? If you're Keira Nolan - you try to solve his murder.

This is Your Afterlife is a fun and exciting story about Keira, a girl previously without psychic ability and now all of a sudden gifted with clairvoyance. Keira's new-found gift gets her caught up in the middle of a murder investigation unlike any other. When Jimmy appears in her bedroom as a ghost, Keira doesn't know what to do. He's the town's football he
Alisha Tarran

Keira's determined to do anything to find Jimmy's killer. Even it if means teaming up with his prickly-yet-dangerously-attractive brother, Dan, also Keira's ex-best-frien
Kat
Oct 10, 2014 Kat rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: YA, all Fantasy or Paranormal genre
Recommended to Kat by: Reviewed for Blog & Publisher via NetGalley
Shelves: books-reviewed
I really enjoy reading YA paranormal books, they are refreshing and intriguing without being full of raunchy scenes.

There are a lot of YA Paranormal Books out there and this one will entertain Young and the Young at Heart alike.

I liked the main character Keira Nolan, she is not the popular girl, she tries to fly under the radar, Her gran had a gift, and although she taught Keria all about it, both her and her mum thought she had not inherited the gift...
One day she finds the captain of the foot
Lisa Bentley
Nov 09, 2015 Lisa Bentley rated it really liked it
Synopsis

The whole town of Halvertson, North Carolina is in mourning. Local hero and the towns’ favourite football star Jimmy Hawkins is missing. No one has seen him in days. Well almost no one. Keira Nolan has but she knows no one will believe her that she has been visited by Jimmy Hawkins – in ghost form.

Or worse – they will believe her and think she has something to do with his murder.

Review

As far as YA fiction goes This Is Your Afterlife deals with some pretty dark subject matters. Murder, ob
Melody
Oct 18, 2014 Melody rated it it was ok
Jimmy is the hot quarterback of a small California town, a local celebrity and all-around good guy. But then his ghost shows up in Keira's room, and she finds herself attempting to solve the mystery of his murder. She must also balance this with her attraction to Jimmy's brother Dan. While I was super happy that this romance did not eclipse the murder plot of the book, I actually wish it had been expanded more.

This world felt somewhat small. How big was this school? We met very few people, and v
Devon Ashley
Dec 06, 2014 Devon Ashley rated it really liked it
Keira Nolan seems to face the problem most teenagers do in high school. No, not the ghost thing, but the part where she always had such a crush on one guy she didn't realize there was another worth having until it was too late. Jimmy was the star athlete every girl wanted, but it was his artistic brother Dan who had eyes for Keira. And when her best friend tried to kiss her for that lovely game of Seven Minutes in Heaven, Keira blurted the stupidest thing possible - next thing she knew, she'd ...more
Eleni Konstantine
What an amazing debut book from Vanessa Barneveld. This was such a joy to read. The words flowed easily and the characters jumped off the page. It's witty, fun, sad, mysterious and even has some romance in it.

Keira is surprised one night by the appearance of Jimmy in her room. He's there for help. The thing is he's a ghost and no-one else knows he has died. We follow Keira's investigation into his disappearance and helping Jimmy cope with his Afterlife so he can move on. Help comes in the form
Jeraca
Sep 07, 2014 Jeraca rated it it was ok
Shelves: arc
I received this free eARC in exchange for my honest review.

When reading the synopsis, I thought it was an intriguing story line and I was eager to read and fall into the story. And it was, for the most part.

But I was able to figure out the murderer the instant I was introduced to the character. It was so obvious to me that I became frustrated when Keira couldn't figure it out. I mean, she doesn't talk to many people so it had to be only a select few.

I did like Dan and Jimmy. They are both so
Jenna
Oct 22, 2014 Jenna rated it really liked it
This is very good debut

Keira grandmother past away last year, she had a paranormal gift. Keira has never communicated with the death until now; she didn't know she could do that. One of her former crushes just turned into a ghost and the only one who can see him is Keira. Jimmy’s doesn't remember how he died he just know that he would never ever commit suicide.

Jimmy’s brother Dan is heartbroken over the loss and at first he isn't too happy to see Keira at his front door, they have kind of a hist
« previous 1 3 4 next »
  • Hellcursed (Shadowfae, #0.5)
  • Boyfriend in a Bottle (In a Bottle, #1)
  • The January Wish (Tarrin's Bay #1)
  • The Lone Warrior (The Four-Sided Pentacle, #3)
  • Wild Encounter
  • Fake
  • Chaos Born (Chronicles from the Applecross #1)
  • The Price of Freedom (Out of the Bottle, #1)
  • The Edge of You
  • A Pretty Mess (Astonvale, #1)
  • The Monster (Troubletwisters, #2)
  • Archangel of Mercy
  • The Shifters (The Keepers Trilogy #2)
  • You Had Me At Halo
  • We Own the Night (Radio Hearts #2)
  • Alterations
  • Blood Entwines
  • We The Great Are Misthought (Cleopatra Selene, #1)
8522042
I tend to write humorous yet thought-provoking YA stories about dead or dying people. Like Jimmy Hawkins, the friendly ghost in THIS IS YOUR AFTERLIFE (Bloomsbury Spark), for example. My next release will be LIVE FAST, DIE YOUNG, a contemporary tearjerker. It's part of the upcoming DANGEROUS BOYS e-novella anthology. THE TWEETEST THING (HarperCollins), however, is not about death or dying, but ...more
More about Vanessa Barneveld...