Start by marking “Ellie Jordan, Ghost Trapper (Ellie Jordan, Ghost Trapper #1)” as Want to Read:
Ellie Jordan, Ghost Trapper (Ellie Jordan, Ghost Trapper #1)

Ellie Jordan, Ghost Trapper (Ellie Jordan, Ghost Trapper #1)

4.09  ·  Rating Details ·  2,205 Ratings  ·  353 Reviews
Ellie Jordan’s job is to catch and remove unwanted ghosts. Part detective, part paranormal exterminator, Ellie operates out of Savannah, Georgia, one of the oldest and most haunted cities in North America.

When a family contacts her to deal with a disturbing presence in the old mansion they’ve recently purchased, Ellie first believes it to be a typical, by-the-book specter,
Published August 27th 2014 by Createspace

To ask other readers questions about Ellie Jordan, Ghost Trapper, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Ellie Jordan, Ghost Trapper

Mlpmom (Book Reviewer)
I went into this read super leery. Ghosts are one of my most favorite paranormal beings to read about because quite simply, what if?

Having read something else by this author in the past and not loving it, I was worried this would turn into another failed read for me and I just didn't want that. I wanted something fun and creepy. Different and lovable. I guess you could say, I wanted a lot but was expecting very little.

With a setting set in Georgia and ghosts galore, I opened this with trepidatio
Christy LoveOfBooks

Well now, color me impressed.

I read The Haunted E-book by JL Bryan years ago and liked it. I don’t even know if that book is available anymore since I don’t see it on Amazon. Anyway, I’ve collected four other books by him over the years, but never got around to reading them. You guessed it, Ghost Trapper is one of them! I’ve heard over and over how good this series is, and finally, I got the urge to jump in.

I’m not sure why, but I had it in my head that this was more YA and would have angsty, an
Lily (Night Owl Book Cafe)

Ellie Jordan is a ghost trapper and her and Stacey are called on to investigate a mansion haunting by the owners. Thinking it is nothing more than residual haunting, Ellie and Stacy are taken for a spin when they discover that the mansion has many layers and each one is more sinister than the first. Now they are facing something truly evil and must rely on each other if they want to survive catching this thing.

"Naturally, zipping out to a dark, long-abandoned loony bin on a likely wild goose
Kavita Ramesh
Sep 17, 2015 Kavita Ramesh rated it really liked it
This book reads like a cozy mystery with paranormal leanings. I liked it. Though I think the author would benefit from changing his cover. The woman on the cover looks a bit floozy-slash-Top-Model, whereas the actual character was totally down to earth. I doubt Ellie would be caught dead wearing the ensemble featured on this cover. (Unless of course it is meant to depict the secondary female lead, Stacey, and if so, that makes even lesser sense.)

*J.L. Bryan PLEASE get a better cover!*

It was in
Neil
Jul 19, 2015 Neil rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I have had this book downloaded for a while, but the cover illustration always made me think it was just another YA Buffy type book. I was pleasantly surprised when I finally got round to reading it. It is well thought out and well written, and given the subject matter the characters are quite believable. There is even a plausible explanation as to why Ellie decided to become a ghost trapper.
Ellie Jordan is working for Eckhardt Investigations, as part investigator and part ghost buster. She fin
Carmen Blankenship
Fun! I really enjoyed this book. Sometimes you just need a good Ghost Story. Despite the cover (Which looks like this would be a tween book) and the Title (again, tweeny sounding) the book was decidedly not juvenile. No, it is no John Saul or early Dean Koontz kinda of creepy but it was creepy enough.

I loved both Stacy and Ellie and the ghost was sufficiently spooky. This book had everything a good ghost tale has...

* Old House that no one lives in long - CHECK!
* Wife and Child who see the ghos
Heidi
Sep 30, 2014 Heidi rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Four stars: A creepy, realistic ghostly tale.

Ellie and Stacey arrive at the old mansion. Ellie and Stacey are ghosts hunters and they have been called out to investigate a haunting by the new owners. At first, Ellie believes it to be a relatively simple case of a ghostly haunting, but she soon finds out that there are far more sinister and foul things residing in the house. With Stacey's help, Ellie intends to flush out the ghosts once and for all, but little does she know, she is up against a p
Lilyn G. (Scifi and Scary)
Mar 31, 2016 Lilyn G. (Scifi and Scary) rated it it was amazing
Shelves: horror
First off (and really my only criticism of this book): Why’s it gotta have a girl in a sexy pose on the cover? I actually overlooked this book several times because of that ridiculously cliche cover. Please don’t be fooled by it. The story inside is actually much better than that sad excuse for a typical eye-candy piece would lead you to believe.

I read this book immediately after reading Matheson’s Hell House. Its interesting, because in a lot of ways the two books were opposite sides of the sam
Laura Thomas
Sep 25, 2014 Laura Thomas rated it it was amazing
The first thing I noticed about this book was the story takes place in Georgia. It’s supposed to be one of the most haunted cities in the south, steeped in dark stories. It’s the perfect setting.

You’ve read the blurb so you know this is about a haunted house. So I’m going to introduce you to the ghost trappers from Eckhart Investigations instead of telling you what you already know.

Retired Homicide Detective Calvin Eckhart is the owner and boss man. He needed something to do with all of those em
Savannah (Books With Bite)
Nov 02, 2014 Savannah (Books With Bite) rated it it was amazing
Hooray for awesome ghost stories. I feel like I’m on a roll finding all these awesome reads for my favorite holiday, Halloween.

Plot: If you love Ghost Hunters (the tv show) then you will love this story. I honestly felt like I was in a mix of Ghost Hunters and Paranormal Witness. These are shows I like to binge watch on Netflix. This story follows Ellie who traps ghost for a living. She visits this really haunted house to only discover that is dealing with something a lot darker than what she su
Kelly
Oct 05, 2014 Kelly rated it it was amazing
Hee! This one was fun! Ghosties, ghoulies, smart women, and plenty of danger had me hooked from page one. Ellie knows her stuff and she knows when she needs to ask for help.

(Admittedly, that last part took a little nudging, but she did ask. Eventually.)

I should probably mention that I love ghost stories. These particular ghosts totally hit the spot. The story behind how the house became haunted worked for me. The story behind why Ellie became a ghost trapper worked for me. Heck, Ellie's friendsh
(Source: I received a digital copy of this book for free on a read-to-review basis. Thanks to author J.L. Bryan, and Megg Jensen.)

This was a creepy ghost story, and it reminded me a bit of the TV show ‘Supernatural’.

I liked the characters in this book, I did think Ellie was maybe a little crazy for wanting to hunt down ghosts for a living, but once she explained why she did it, it seemed more noble than nuts! Stacey was certainly enthusiastic, and Jacob the psychic seemed fairly genuine
Mae Clair
Oct 25, 2015 Mae Clair rated it really liked it
A nice creepy ghost story with detective work tossed in for good measure. Ellie Jordan is a ghost trapper, the head field operative in a team that works at removing unwanted ghosts from homes when they refuse to move on. In this, the first of the series, the reader is introduced to Ellie and the "newbies" on her team...a young enthusiastic videographer and a psychic. All of the characters are fun and engaging, as is the work they do. I will definitely check out more in this series.
Sherry Fundin
Ellie Jordan, Ghost Trapper by J L Bryan is an eerie tale that had me laughing and cringing as Ellie and Stacey investigate a haunted mansion. It made me think of the movie, The Ghostbusters and the TV show, Ghost Hunters. There are plenty of screams and chills that you will not want to miss.

Ellie had trained her whole life to be a ghost trapper. Now she is a senior investigator for Eckhart Investigations. She has a degree in psychology that comes in handy when assessing the legitimacy of her cl
Alexia Purdy
Sep 14, 2014 Alexia Purdy rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: people who like paranormal fantasy, dark fantasy, hauntings, ghoststories, adventure, horror
A brilliantly addictive, insomnia-inducing story following Ellie Jordan, a ghost trapper, who works a hazardous job investigating hauntings. Read before bedtime at your own risk!

I had nightmares reading this, so yeah, don't read it before bedtime like I did!

LOVED this, it was so thrilling, suspenseful and filled with amazing storytelling. Ellie Jordan is one tough ghost hunting chick and the stuff she and her partners find when investigating what they think is a straightforward haunting in an ol
Aria Nicole
Jun 09, 2015 Aria Nicole rated it it was amazing
This book... Amazing. I have nothing bad to say about this book, honestly. I have such high hopes for the rest of this series. It was titillating, and downright scary. Some parts were a little... unrealistic. But over all very well written, and extremely gripping.
Ruth Boynton
Aug 17, 2015 Ruth Boynton rated it really liked it
Being a paranormal investigator, I found this to be a fairly good read. Most of what was written is true...equipment, ghost behaviors....but one thing a paranormal investigator would never ever do is to "release" an entity on someone. Fun read overall!
Michele
Jul 07, 2015 Michele rated it it was amazing
Awesome book, started it after dark...bad idea. finally gave up about 4 a.m. started again during daylight, much easier, less spooky! The descriptions of the ghosts are fantastic and their movements...wow! The ending surprised me...looking forward to getting more of these...
Alexandra
Quite enjoyable. Ending was a nice touch. Well worth the FREE Kindle version :D

1/10/16 free for Kindle, $2.99 to add Audible
Rhiannon Frater
Sep 01, 2015 Rhiannon Frater rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
JL Bryan at his best.

I love this first foray into a new series. I can't wait to gobble up the rest.
ᑭIᑭEᖇ⒤ᗩᗰ
This was a good ol' creepy ghost haunting that I devoured in one night. Ellie and her sidekick Stacey were well written and easy to like. Not once did I check to see how far along I was and for me that is saying something:) On a side note: Ellie is totally misrepresented on the cover. She wouldn't be caught dead in that mistress of the boardroom get up. She wears a leather jacket(helps protect from ghost stabbings) and pants!! She explicitly states she doesn't do girly. Silly silly cover!
Jennifer  (Books That Hook)
Review Courtesy of: Books That Hook

I received a free copy of this book in exchange for an honest review. This does not affect my opinion of the book or the content of my review.

I enjoyed reading Ellie Jordan, Ghost Trapper. It was well-written and fast paced. I liked that it had a clear story goal that carried through the entire book. Also, I liked how the situation kept getting worse for Ellie.

However, I had some complaints. It took me a while to get into the story.

At first, Ellie doesn’t seem
Aimeekay
Sep 20, 2014 Aimeekay rated it it was amazing

I'm definitely giving this book 5 stars. I enjoyed everything about it.

I love the way Bryan brings everything together. The characters, the story, the way he weaves the paranormal into the present day. No it's not building a complete world from the ground up. But in a way it's harder to have to fit the world the characters and story that you've created into the present day, yet still keep it fun and believable.
Ellie is a great strong female lead. She's sarcastic and funny, but she's not the on
April
Feb 18, 2015 April rated it really liked it
4.5

As the fourth book in a 10-book anthology (the same anthology that I've been mentioning in my reviews so far), Ellie Jordan, Ghost Trapper was definitely an original novel... and was very, very enjoyable.

I only had a couple of problems with it. Well, namely one -- I kept wondering when it would be over. Not in a "oh my gosh, just get to the end already because [your writing is terrible, your character are unlikable, etc.]." No, it just felt a little bit like the author dragged the story out a
Michelle (Much Loved Books)
Sep 22, 2014 Michelle (Much Loved Books) rated it really liked it
I heard about Ellie Jordan, Ghost Trapper when the author contacted me to see if I was interested in a review copy. After reading quite a few of the authors books I did not hesitate in replying with a yes. While it has taken me longer than expected to get round to reading Ellie Jordan, Ghost Trapper, I made sure to get this review written and posted as soon as possible.

When I began reading, Stacey was someone who I instantly liked. She always made me smile, not only for the things she says, but
Mugen
Aug 12, 2015 Mugen rated it it was amazing
I got this book on a free promotion at Amazon. This was a good thrilling read. It was fun to read such a book after so long. I finished it in 3 reading sessions (including the one where I read it while walking out from the office lift to my cubicle and skimming the last few pages quickly).

One thing that I liked about this book was that you can practice your skimming techniques as much as you want without losing much info. It really helps you glide over anything you don't find interesting.

Storywi
Renni
Sep 09, 2016 Renni rated it it was amazing
Marginally predictable, but action packed and thrilling. A great start to the series, and I look forward to reading more. I do hope there will be romance (I'll find out), and I do wish that there was a bit more to Ellie's personality. However I think that might be part of her character. Her life is so much about ghost-trapping that she doesn't have much else.
Lake Reviews
Sep 14, 2014 Lake Reviews rated it it was amazing
Shelves: j-l-bryan
This book had a lot of thought and research put into it. You can tell from the start by the detail descriptions of ghost hunting and Savannah, Georgia. I wonder how long it took to get just everything right. If you have ever watched a ghost hunting show on TV you will love this book. It dove right into the scenes with freshness and freaky detail.

Ellie is a great ghost hunter but doesn’t want to have to work with others. During the book we have great history lessons plus depth about the lives of
Anne
Jun 14, 2015 Anne rated it it was amazing
Alright, where o where to begin? This is honestly my very first ghost focused book ever. I decided to give this book a shot due to amazing reviews, and in search for something a bit different.

So, I figured this e-book was free so why not? I've had plenty of bad luck with "free" (I put that into quotation marks, cuz of the wasted hours at times) books. I was not going to stop and I am so glad I have not.

Ellie, our main character is great! A very much believable character. She is in no way perfe
Sue
May 12, 2015 Sue rated it really liked it
wow what a great read.
I've actually had this book downloaded for a while but kept leaving it in favour of another, until yesterday, yesterday I picked this book up and didn't put it down, I was completely absorbed in this story.

I think the fascination with ghosts is that they can't really be proved or disproved so reading the ghostly activity in this book, i will put my hand up and admit it left me a little jumpy. it was a good half an hour before I realised I everyone had gone to bed and I was
  • The Arrival of Armando DeLeon (In Darkness We Must Abide, #3)
  • Witch Hunt (Hayle Coven, #2)
  • Silver Mortal (The Gracen Chronicles, #1)
  • Shifty Magic (Shifty Magic, #1)
  • Rune Gate (Rune Gate Cycle #1)
  • Desolace (Desolace, #1)
  • Grim Tidings (Aisling Grimlock, #1)
  • The Women in the walls (Spookshow, #3)
  • The Magick of Dark Root (Daughters of Dark Root, #2)
  • Soul Sisters (Soul Sisters, #1)
  • Dissension (Chronicles of the Uprising, #1)
  • Life After Dane
  • The Blake Soul
  • Angel Manor
  • Not Quite Dead (Lowcountry Mysteries, #1)
  • In Embers (Ember, #3)
  • Descendants (The Descendants Saga, #1)
  • Alchemy (Prophecy Breakers #1)
J.L. Bryan studied English literature at the University of Georgia and at Oxford, with a focus on English Renaissance and Romantic literature. He also studied screenwriting at UCLA. He lives in the metro Atlanta sprawl with his wife Christina, where he spends most of his day serving the toddler and animal community inside his house. He is the author of the Paranormals series and the Songs of Magic ...more
More about J.L. Bryan...

Ellie Jordan, Ghost Trapper (8 books)
  • Cold Shadows (Ellie Jordan, Ghost Trapper #2)
  • The Crawling Darkness (Ellie Jordan, Ghost Trapper #3)
  • Terminal  (Ellie Jordan, Ghost Trapper, #4)
  • House of Whispers (Ellie Jordan, Ghost Trapper, #5)
  • Maze of Souls (Ellie Jordan, Ghost Trapper #6)
  • Lullaby (Ellie Jordan, Ghost Trapper #7)
  • The Keeper (Ellie Jordan, Ghost Trapper #8)

“Some people just find denial more attractive than adjusting their beliefs to new information.” 4 likes
“I said she looked dead," Lexa said, her eyes lifting to stare into mine. "She looked rotten.” 1 likes