Start by marking “Hardheaded Weather: New and Selected Poems” as Want to Read:
Hardheaded Weather: New and Selected Poems

Hardheaded Weather: New and Selected Poems

Cornelius Eady’s new poems show him in full control of his considerable talents and displaying a rich maturity as he enters midlife. His poems are sly, unsentimental, and witty, full of truths that are intimate and profound.

Hardheaded Weather ranges widely, reflecting the newfound responsibilities Eady has assumed as he transitions from urban renter to nonplussed rural hom
Published April 10th 2008 by G.P. Putnam's Sons (first published 2008)

To ask other readers questions about Hardheaded Weather, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Hardheaded Weather

Toni
Mar 08, 2011 Toni rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: poetry
Some poems and sections of this new and selected knocked me out. Others, not so much. I love Eady's tenderness and his witness. He takes time with his work, and makes it easy for the reader to slow down and hear him. The pieces in here that I love, I dearly love. I will return to them indefinitely.
Janet
Jan 20, 2010 Janet rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: poetry
I feel like I know this poet, or that I should. His writing is so familiar and easy to me, as is his face on the jacket cover. His depth of compassion is strong, whether he's writing about his transition from urban renter to nonplussed rural homeowner, the sad facts of war, or his process of entering midlife. Funny, but I discovered that Marsha is a friend of his on Facebook. Perhaps she can introduce us--at our houses upstate, of course! "Migration" and "Recycling" speak to that bit of luck we ...more
Kevin Brown
May 16, 2011 Kevin Brown rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I really enjoyed this collection by Eady. While there weren't a number of lines that simply blew me away (not a lot of underlining), almost every poem was consistently good. I especially enjoyed the poems from Brutal Imagination, where he takes the African-American man that Susan Smith made up to cover her crime and gives him a voice. I'll definitely add more of Eady's work to my list of what to read.
Cedric
Sep 27, 2009 Cedric rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Love the accessibility of C. Eady's work, though the new work may come across as too accessible & simple for some... I will admit to having enjoyed the poems culled from his several poetry collections more than the new ones. Really loved the painfully honest poems about family, particularly the/his father. My dad knows nothing about poetry- and I think he might appreciate this stuff. Great buy.
H
"And summer
Has gauzed the air,"

writes one of my top three favorite poets in a new poem in a collection of all his hard-hitting books. His lines are clarity. I would recommend an earlier book instead of a collection of selections, which I tend to dislike in practice, but any and all of his other books are all great places to start, every time.
Siel Ju
Easy prosey reads - jazz and beats influence. Earlier poems tend to be more interesting. Themes: Racism, family, music.
Kristin LaMonica
Kristin LaMonica rated it liked it
Sep 14, 2016
Burt Myers
Burt Myers rated it liked it
Jul 15, 2012
Michael Lloyd-Billington
Michael Lloyd-Billington rated it really liked it
Nov 08, 2016
Zander
Zander rated it liked it
May 01, 2011
Jared
Jared rated it really liked it
Jul 24, 2011
Monica
Monica rated it it was amazing
Dec 28, 2015
Lynne
Apr 27, 2010 Lynne rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
not 10 pages in and I'm hooked!
hannah
hannah rated it really liked it
May 20, 2008
agentleavens
agentleavens rated it it was amazing
Jul 03, 2012
Scot Marvin
Scot Marvin rated it it was amazing
Feb 10, 2013
Beth J
Beth J rated it really liked it
Feb 02, 2013
Tyler Hudson
Tyler Hudson rated it liked it
Dec 20, 2014
James
James rated it really liked it
May 02, 2008
Carla
Carla rated it it was ok
Apr 14, 2016
Lynh
Lynh rated it liked it
Nov 18, 2008
Michael
Michael rated it it was amazing
May 10, 2014
Mariah Sanchez
Mariah Sanchez rated it did not like it
Sep 18, 2016
Guillermo
Guillermo rated it it was amazing
Apr 25, 2012
Dave Newman
Dave Newman rated it it was amazing
Dec 16, 2014
Christina Springer
Christina Springer rated it really liked it
Apr 12, 2014
Deanna
Deanna rated it really liked it
Aug 20, 2016
Geoff
Geoff rated it really liked it
Dec 24, 2014
Cave Canem
Cave Canem rated it it was amazing
Jan 26, 2012
« previous 1 3 next »
Like Joyce and Tolstoy, Cornelius Eady is an American writer focusing largely on matters of race and society, His poetry often centers on jazz and blues, family life, violence, and societal problems stemming from questions of race and class. His poetry is often praised for its simple and approachable language.
More about Cornelius Eady...