Start by marking “Moonpowder” as Want to Read:
Moonpowder

Moonpowder

4.1 of 5 stars 4.10  ·  rating details  ·  157 ratings  ·  41 reviews

Young Eli Trebuckle is the "fixer of all things fixable." He fixes the vacuum cleaner, the fan, and even the radio, hoping to catch some news of his father who is away at war. But there's one thing that Eli simply can't fix-his bad dreams. It's the same one over and over again: a mountain of junk, a prize just beyond his reach, and a fall.

One night as Eli stays up late to
Published May 27th 2008 by Hyperion

To ask other readers questions about Moonpowder, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Moonpowder

(NS) Amie
Eli Treebuckle likes to fix things, and he's good at it, too. The one thing he isn't so good at is having sweet dreams. He has been having the same nightmare for months- climbing a huge pile of junk and then falling. Since he can't go to sleep, he decides to fix things, and that is when Mr. Moon comes and asks Eli for his help. The Moonpowder Factory has broken down and nobody's getting enough Moonpowder, which helps everyone have sweet dreams. Mr. Moon takes Eli to the Moonpowder Factory in an ...more
Leslie
"The illustrations are full of wonder. They create the right balance of detail to enrich the story without overwhelming the viewer to distraction. Another lovely aspect is how the illustrations carry the greater weight of an important facet of the story."
[...]
"I really appreciate the graphic novel style aspect to the book. I am sure young children will be charmed by the illustrations, as well as the story, but Rocco’s choice puts Moonpowder on the shelves of the upper ages. His decision also rem
Dolly
Sep 15, 2011 Dolly rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: parents reading with their children
We recently read Blackout by John Rocco and saw this book recommended in a review, so we just had to check it out at our local library.

This story is so fantastic - the artwork is amazing and the story is creative, inspiring, and heartwarming. Eli can fix anything mechanical, but he can't fix his nightmares. This tale shows how he faces his fears. I love that there's an underlying, unwritten story that shows that his father is in the military (the Army Air Corps), fighting in WWII. The ending is
Meg McGregor
Every child has nightmares, and parents sometimes, need a little help in getting their child to want to go back to sleep.

How I wish this book had been written when my Katherine was little. But now, Olivia and all the other littles I watch, will get to read this book with me.

It is the story of little Eli, who is called the "fixer". He can fix almost anything. But the one thing he can't fix is bedtime. He has been having a terrible nightmare - night after night!

One night, the moon appears and tell
Lynde
Mar 03, 2011 Lynde rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: everyone
Shelves: actual-fiction, kids
this is one of my son's favorite books. would have given it 5 stars but it is a wee bit long. love the details and the story...sooo delicious. we have had it for a few years and now my older son reads it to the younger. :) it is delicious!

Crystal Lockhart
I reviewed Moonpowder by John Rocco as one of my Book Soak choices. As one of my book soak books I would put it was the one I really liked. What caught my eye was the beautiful artwork on the front of the book however, what kept my attention was the wonderful story. This book is about Eli Treebuckle who is the fixer of all things. He has been having problems sleeping and then Mr. Moon comes and visits him and asks for his help. They take a journey and on their adventure Eli has to face his fear ...more
Ed
Dec 05, 2012 Ed added it
Rocco, John. (2008). Moonpowder. New York: Hyperion. Unpaginated. ISBN 978-1-4231-0011-5 (Hardcover); $15.99

One of my favorite picture books of last year is Moonpowder. In this book we have a decidedly different look at the moon. When I look at this book, Mr. Moon brings to mind old W.C. Fields movies! In this book Eli is called upon to bring his technological savvy to fix the moonpowder factory. People are not able to dream because the moon is not able to produce its dream powder. Eli must fix
Lanyisha
This book was good book, but it would only appeal to children with a certain interest. The author used the craft of beginnings and endings in this book. The way the book began made me feel like it was a movie. I'm used to the beginning of children's books beginning with the main character already in the meat of the plot. This book had a slow beginning that introduced the characters. It built up to the plot of the story. I don't think there is nothing wrong with that. The author did a good job of ...more
Vicky
This was such an adorable little book. It's a story about Eli, a fixer. He lies down to sleep one night and finds he is not able to have sweet dreams. That's when Mr. Moon comes to ask for his help. It seems there is a problem with the Moonpowder factory and Eli's skills at fixing the fixable are needed if he and other children ever want to have sweet dreams again.

My son and I really enjoyed this story. Eli gets a chance to help and conquer a fear of his own. It's really a story of hope and bra
Courtney
I recently read Blackout and loved Rocco's book so much I researched what else he has written and illustrated. This book was absolutely wonderful! The illustrations are fascinating and the story is very creative. As I was reading this, I couldn't help but feel lost in the illustrations and part of the action. Also, reading the dedication gives it whole new and different perspective. It's perfect for all readers, especially those with adventurous imaginations, and it's hard to put down! I will de ...more
Rebecca
The cover hooked me, and the inside did not disappoint! I give too many five-stars, but this one's illustrations deserve six. I'm reminded all at once of Maurice Sendak, Winsor McCay, and Brian Selznick, but Rocco's rich colors and dramatic lighting are all his own. I especially like that the Moonpowder factory is very mechanical, but in an Art Nouveau style!

The story is not quite as good as the pictures, but the revelation that Eli's bad dreams are related to missing his soldier father is compe
Karan Johnstone
John Rocco is a very interesting and entertaining speaker. He was at the Children's Literature Conference on 6/25/13. It was very interesting to hear the process of writing and illustrating books and his journey to get where he is today.

This book was about a little boy who could fix anything except his own bad dreams. He dreams of a factory that is out of moonpowder which made people have sweet dreams. When he wakes up, his dad is home from war (I assume) and everything is ok. The art work was w
Megan Sanchez
A gorgeous vaguely steampunk bedtime story: Eli, who is an excellent "fixer", is taken to the fantastical Moonpowder Factory, where Mr. Moon asks him to repair the machine that allows young people to have sweet dreams. The illustrations are incredibly beautiful and the story moves at a fast, exciting pace that kept me hooked, even as a adult, through the entire story. I will be on the lookout for more books from this author.
Danica Midlil
Well, I love this man's illustrations so it's hard not to just love every book he's created. Wonderful main character is acting as man of the house for his mom by fixing her appliances as they breakdown while dad's away at war. Unfortunately, he's haunted by bad dreams. Lots of cogs, gears, and wrenches! Great for children who like to "help" with the fixing, especially.
Ian
A tedious exercise in style.
Erin
At first I wanted to have an attitude about this book, but I really liked it. It's about a little boy named Eli who can fix anything, but he can't fix the nightmare he keeps having. He ends up in a fantasy world - or is it just lucid dreaming? - with a resolution I found satisfying and sweet. The illustrations are wonderful.
Relyn
Oct 23, 2011 Relyn rated it 3 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: artists and kids
Recommended to Relyn by: no idea...
This is my mystery book. It showed up on my desk one morning a few weeks after school started. No one ever said why or who it was from or asked me about it at all. This book has absolutely incredible illustrations. I love, love, love them!! The story is a lot of fun, but the illustrations are amazing.
Kristina Lareau
What a delightful and colorful read! So much Steampunk-style and imagination. It call's to mind Georges Mielies' 1902 film "Le voyage dans la lune" ("A Trip to the Moon") and a little bit of "Le petit prince." This book would be a delightful one to analyze for its artistic and cinematic renderings.
Nikoya
Jul 01, 2008 Nikoya rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Parents of 3 on up children or People who love Children's books
This book is absolutely beautiful with its amazing illustrations and story. It is a little advanced for my two year old but I know that one day she is going to love the beauty of this book. Definitely adding it to my collection.
Susan
So sweet and so fun. Recommend maybe for military kids, or kids with parents who are gone a lot, or kids prone to worrying. Best for ages 4 and up. I had to simplify the narrative for my 2 1/2 year old. LOVE the art.
First of all, I love the dedication to this book. The illustrations are adorable and vibrant--I could spend hours looking at them. The story is wonderful. This is a definite must-read, quite possible a must-own.
Nancy
This was a wonderful book about a little boy who has a nightmare and he works through it with the help of the moon.

This is also dedicated to soldiers and their families...I absolulty loved it.
Betsy
Loved this read... Reminds me so much of "Jimmy Zangwow's Out of This World Moon Pie Adventure." I'd love to do a book study of the two with 5th grade students when they're studying the 1950s.
Paul
I enjoyed several other of Rocco's books much more. The illustration is still masterful with Rocco's animator's skill, but I just didn't track with Eli's dilemma or care enough about the story.
Shannon
Beautiful illustrations. I loved the creativity an inventiveness of the main character, a little boy named Eli. A great story to teach children about facing and overcoming their fears.
Nora
Aug 12, 2013 Nora rated it 4 of 5 stars
Shelves: jp
The moon gets Eli Treebuckle 'fixer of all things fixable' to repair the broken Moonpowder factory so everyone can have sweet dreams. Sweet & sentimental with a 1940's feel
Kellee
Loved it! Beautiful illustrations and I loved the story.
Maurice Sendak-ish

Read at the John Rocco exhibit at the Orlando Museum of Art
Mary
ADORABLE book to read for those I-can't-go-to-bed-without-a-story sort of kids :-) Enchanting, adventurous, and oh so sweet. I cried at the end.
Colleen
There are very few childrens books I would buy as a gift for people, but this is one of them. Great story, great illustrations.
Sharon
This is a great story with awesome art! It was dedicated to soldiers children too! Definitely a must read. Great for bedtime!
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 next »
  • Clara and Asha
  • Maple
  • Toot & Puddle: You Are My Sunshine
  • Willoughby & the Lion
Rocco studied illustration at the Rhode Island School of Design and School of Visual Arts in New York City. He is the author of four acclaimed books for children: Wolf! Wolf!, winner of the Borders Original Voices Award for best picture book; Moonpowder, part of the Original Art Show at the Society of Illustrators; Fu Finds the Way, and Blackout, a New York Times Best Book of the Year and winner o ...more
More about John Rocco...
Blackout Blizzard Super Hair-o and the Barber of Doom Swim That Rock Wolf! Wolf!