Start by marking “Shatter (Joseph O'Loughlin, #3)” as Want to Read:
Shatter (Joseph O'Loughlin, #3)

Shatter (Joseph O'Loughlin #3)

4.06  ·  Rating Details ·  4,989 Ratings  ·  591 Reviews
In this novel, Joe O'Loughlin from Michael Robotham's bestselling debut 'The Suspect' returns to face a terrifying opponent.
Published February 7th 2008 by Sphere (first published January 1st 2008)

To ask other readers questions about Shatter, please sign up.

Sharon Terry Yes. I hadn't even heard of Joe O'Laughlin and wasn't really conscious of Robotham. I picked up a mention of him somewhere, thought Shatter sounded my…moreYes. I hadn't even heard of Joe O'Laughlin and wasn't really conscious of Robotham. I picked up a mention of him somewhere, thought Shatter sounded my cup of hemlock and just started reading.(less)

Phrynne
Sep 08, 2016 Phrynne rated it it was amazing
This author gets better and better! I raced through this book with my heart in my mouth, so scared about what might be going to happen! The main character is no super hero, suffering as he does from Parkinson's disease. And life is not always kind to him in many ways. Nevertheless he struggles to help others even when the result is that he really does not help himself.
I enjoyed this very much indeed. The killer was very, very scary, the tension was extreme and the other characters were all peopl
Brenda
When Professor Joseph O’Loughlin was asked to assist on the Clifton Suspension Bridge with talking to a woman who was going to jump, he had no idea the trauma and life changing events that he would set in place by agreeing. Unable to stop the woman, her tears and desperation buried deep in his mind, he was shocked to find the woman’s sixteen year old daughter at his door a few days later. Darcy did her best to convince Joe that her mother wouldn’t have committed suicide – she was terrified of ...more
David
Dec 06, 2016 David rated it it was amazing
Australian author Michael Robotham has concocted a chilling and unputdownable psychological thriller. The book title refers to the method in which the villian, 'shatters' the victim's minds. It also shattered my sleep patterns. Once started, I could not stop - all 460+ pages in one (very late) night.

The main protagonist is psychologist, Professor Joe O'Loughlin. Joe is highly skilled at reading people, yet he is flawed. He is suffering from an incureable disease, his wife is seemingly having an
Perry
Jun 14, 2016 Perry rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
" Shattered, shattered
Love and hope and sex and dreams
Are still surviving on the street
Look at me, I'm in tatters!"
Jagger/Richards, 1978

Built upon intriguing psychological supports and jammed front to back with suspense, the story centers on a protagonist clinical psychologist who seems true and real, his gruff and witty sometimes-sidekick, a believable family that plays into the storyline and other characters who capture the imagination.

Mr. Robotham is greatly gifted in writing dialogue, into
Raven D.
May 02, 2012 Raven D. rated it it was amazing
I was in New York when I bought this book at Barnes and Nobles. (I'm from Minnesota). I really had no book in mind and just wanted to find something to read. I actually chose this over a book I've been dying to read but didn't necessarily want to buy just yet. I was searching around for a good murder mystery which is my favorite genre, and found this book after reading the backs of dozens of other books. I have to say, what made me choose this was that on the front (different cover than the one ...more
Mike
Jan 28, 2015 Mike rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Synopsis: Joe O'Loughlin is in familiar territory-standing on a bridge high above a flooded gorge, trying to stop a distraught woman from jumping. "You don't understand," she whispers, and lets go. Joe is haunted by his failure to save the woman, until her teenage daughter finds him and reveals that her mother would never have committed suicide-not like that. She was terrified of heights. What could have driven her to commit such a desperate act? Whose voice? What evil?
Having devoted his career
Laurie
May 28, 2009 Laurie rated it it was amazing
Robotham is little known here, but absolutely first rate, both as a writer and as a crime writer. All of his books are deeply satisfying.
Lourdes Venard
Apr 22, 2009 Lourdes Venard rated it it was amazing
Joe O’Loughlin, who we met in Robotham’s first book, is back, this time teaching college psychology as his Parkinson’s advances. He’s asked by police to help talk down a woman who is perched on the Clifton Suspension Bridge, naked except for her Jimmy Choo shoes and with the word “slut” written across her stomach in lipstick. Even stranger, she’s talking into a cell phone. O’Loughlin is unable to save her; she jumps to her death. A few days later, her business partner is found dead, also naked, ...more
Karen Brooks
Aug 22, 2012 Karen Brooks rated it it was amazing
Once again, Michael Robotham has defined what’s meant by the often loosely applied term “page-turner.” I literally could not put this book down – I was turning the pages and burning the midnight oil because I simply had to know what happened next.
Written in stark, but laden prose, that beautifully captures a range of human emotions, conditions and relationships, Shatter is another in the Joseph O’Loughlin series and is a triumph of the genre.
Commencing with Professor Joe being unwillingly taken
Barbara
"First, he'll break your heart. Then he'll destroy your mind."

I read this book on the strength of those two sentences. This is one of the better thriller/serial killer novels out there, and I compare it to Thomas Harris' Hannibal Lecter series. A psychologist, Joe O'Loughlin, is called to help a distraught woman down from a bridge. However, rather than working with him, she jumps to her death. That she was talking to someone on a cell phone only adds to the mystery of why she killed herself--esp
Hannah Messler
May 18, 2009 Hannah Messler rated it it was ok
This book is dumb as hell so far! WTF, Stephen King?? Frikken psychological-thriller-protagonists who have Cynical World Weary Outlooks expressed in dumbass witty-ass comments. HAR HAR HAR, sooo super-not-funny. But there is grossness in it! And it promises to let me swoop through it quick as shit! Which are the main two priorities right now. For me.

Oh, plus, James keeps calling it SHARTER, which, do you know what SHART means? I learned it from some movie I think I am supposed to be embarrassed
Carol
Dec 22, 2012 Carol rated it really liked it
Another reviewer (on this website) was referred to this novel when she requested a recommendation for a book that was a “good, solid, well written, sharp, cutting edge” thriller. I cannot add one more adjective that would describe this suspense novel any better. I think that I enjoyed it more because the main protagonist isn’t a detective. He is a forensic psychologist with Parkinson’s disease. His name is Joe O’Laughlin and he is a flawed but most likable man with a personal story as ...more
Steph
Aug 14, 2016 Steph rated it liked it
This was a really interesting book diving into the mind of a killer who kills without touching the victims. It was a real psychological thriller really enjoyed finding out the motive and breaking down each of the crimes. I didn't care for The main character but this book was more around the plot and not really the characters. It was quite interesting I would've liked a little bit more mystery and suspense but overall it was quite good.
Manda Scott
Jun 06, 2012 Manda Scott rated it it was amazing
I'm in that glorious period when the next book is a Platonic ideal, built up in my imagination, but I haven't actually started the work of writing it yet. I'm plotting, and finding character names, and staring at geography and, in this particular instance, watching boxed sets of 'Spiral', the fantastic French police thriller series that's like Lewis on steroids, laced with a strong Burgundy and a lot more sex. Yes, I am in love with Laure. And yes, my beloved knows this...
In amongst all of this
Cindy
Aug 19, 2012 Cindy rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: thriller, favorites
Dein Wille Geschehe war das erste Buch, welches ich von Michael Robotham entdeckte. Ich sah das Cover, und dachte schon "sieht spannend aus", ich las den Klappentext, und dachte nur "das musst du lesen". Ich hab es direkt an dem Tag mitgenommen und angefangen zu lesen.
Man wird erst einmal eingeführt und erfährt ein wenig über den Psychologen Joe O'Loughlin, schon während des Falls taucht dann auch der Detective Inspector Vincent Ruiz auf, es wird erklärt wie sich die beiden kennen gelernt haben
Michael
Sep 24, 2009 Michael rated it liked it
Recommends it for: Thriller fans, English mystery fans
Recommended to Michael by: author nominated for awards
Joe O'Loughlin is a psychologist, suffering with Parkinson's disease. The police ask for his help with attempting to disuade a woman from committing suicide. She's on a bridge and threatening to jump. Shortly after he arrives and tries to talk her out of her attempt, she says, "You don't understand" and she jumps.

Joe is a good man, he cares for others and is troubled that he couldn't save the woman. A bit later a sixteen year old comes to his home, Darcy Wheeler, tells him that it was her mother
Ellen Keim
Jan 31, 2013 Ellen Keim rated it really liked it
Samantha
May 01, 2012 Samantha rated it it was amazing
I chose this book based solely on its cover which isn't the one shown here but instead the one with the picture of the lady appearing to wanting to jump off a building. It jutst grabbed my eye at the book store. The cover said Steven king said it was the most suspenseful book he read all year. The back had a quote that said even readers like me that can guess everything before it happens won't know what is going to happen next. That sold me.

I read all 500 pages in a days time with a toddler and
Todd
Oct 21, 2009 Todd rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fiction, thriller
Nancy
Jun 27, 2009 Nancy rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: Psychological thriller lovers
Shatter is fast-paced, well plotted and well-written with only one small section where I thought the main character acted slightly out of character.
This is my first experience with Michael Robotham and it leaves me wanting to find more of his work and see what his next book is about.
In Shatter, two women commit suicide in unlikely ways and the police bring in psychologist, Joe O'Loughlin, to help them sort out the mystery.
While O'Loughlin makes a career of restoring shattered minds, he disco
Donna
Feb 19, 2016 Donna rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: crime-mystery
This is the 3rd book in this series. I've read a few of these, however, not in proper order. I liked this one, as I have the others. It had great depth in the plot. I always appreciate it when it is layered. It adds interest. I also liked the emphasis on the character development. It helped me to understand some of the relationship dynamics that were continuing to unfold in some of the later books that I've already read.

I was torn between 3 and 4 stars on this one. But bottom line, I didn't enjo
Steve
Feb 19, 2016 Steve rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book shocked me, but it also made me laugh. I also could not put the thing down for love or money. The action started with a bang, and kept going, with the author ratcheting up the tension and using chapter breaks to great effect. The climax was drawn out, and just as suspenseful as the rest of the book. The resolution didn't answer any many questions as I wanted, but I will definitely read the next in the series.
Vicki Tyley
Jan 30, 2013 Vicki Tyley rated it it was amazing
"It’s eleven o’clock in the morning, late September, and outside it’s raining so hard that cows are floating down rivers and birds are resting on their bloated bodies."

Shatter hooked me from the first sentence (above) and didn't let go. A fast-paced, suspense-filled thriller. Highly recommended.
Brooke
Feb 19, 2016 Brooke rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2012-books
Recently, I found myself cruising NetGalley needing something different – something lighter, yet darker all at the same time. When I stumbled upon Shatter by Michael Robotham, I noticed that Stephen King had endorsed the story, citing it as his most suspenseful read of the year. Trusting Mr. King, I clicked request.

Joe O’Loughlin’s first day of teaching psychology at a local university ends on a bridge trying to talk down a woman who’s perched to jump. With a cell phone clutched to her ear, she
Randa
May 22, 2010 Randa rated it really liked it
This is the first book I read by Australian author Michael Robotham. Joseph O'Loughlin is a clinical psychologist who gets called to talk down a woman poised to jump from Clifton Suspension Bridge. He is unable to communicate with here as she seemed to focus on someone else speaking to her through a cell phone, and ends up jumping in front of his eyes. A few days later the victim's daughter shows up on Joe's doorstep, and voices her own doubts that her mother would never commit suicide.

This ente
Cali Burke
Sep 26, 2016 Cali Burke rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I enjoyed this book and found myself completely involved with all the characters. I loved it!!
Lenny
Sep 10, 2016 Lenny rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: recommended
I was buddy-reading this book with someone, but she gave up and believed the writing wasn't to her taste. At the beginning, I thought she might have been right because it was a little slow on the uptake. But she couldn't be more wrong, in my frank opinion. This story is absolutely brilliant. Joseph O'Loughlin is a psychologist who came upon- what seemed like- a suicide, but as the plot continued to unravel, it was anything but. After the death of Christine Wheeler, O'Loughlin was left disturbed ...more
Denise
Jul 16, 2014 Denise rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
4.0 out of 5 stars - Are you a mother? Would you take your child's place if he or she had been abducted by a man who offered you that choice? What would any parent do to keep their child safe?

A woman jumps from a bridge wearing only her red Jimmy Choos. At first everyone thinks it was a suicide. Then another is found, dead from exposure, handcuffed to a tree. The next is lured to a bandstand in Victoria Park. What do these women have in common -- aside from being friends and childhood schoolmate
Kathleen Hagen
Shatter, by Michael Robotham, A-plus. Narrated by Sean Barrett, produced by Recorded Books, downloaded from audible.com.

This is the fourth in the series involving Joe O’Laughlin, the psychologist. In this one we see Inspector ruiz, who is now retired but enters into the case Joe is pulled into. O’Laughlin is at the university and has just finished teaching a course. He is called out by the police to a bridge where a woman is waiting to jump. He is unsuccessful in talking her down off the bridge
Joe
Aug 05, 2015 Joe rated it really liked it
This is the fourth book in the quasi-series of Vincent Ruiz, a detective inspector in London, England. Ruiz appears in all of the books but is only the central character (narrator), in one of them, (Lost). In Shatter, Joseph O'Loughlin, a psychologist, is our story-teller - for the second time - he was the narrator of the first book in the series, The Suspect. This sounds more complicated than it really is and regardless, this is a great mystery/thriller series.

The book opens with Professor O'Lo
  • Das Skript
  • Silent Fear (Detective Ella Marconi, #5)
  • Blood Moon (Inspector Challis, #5)
  • A Garden Of Vipers (Carson Ryder, #3)
  • Precious Blood
  • Love Story, With Murders (Fiona Griffiths, #2)
  • The Darker Side (Smoky Barrett, #3)
  • A Few Right Thinking Men (Rowland Sinclair #1)
  • The Reckoning (Maeve Kerrigan, #2)
  • A Beautiful Place to Die (Detective Emmanuel Cooper, #1)
  • The Kind One
  • Resolution (Garnethill, #3)
  • The Executioner (Robert Hunter, #2)
  • The Colour of Death
  • The Chalk Girl (Kathleen Mallory, #10)
  • Mr. Clarinet (Max Mingus, #1)
  • Burial
  • Tuesday's Gone (Frieda Klein, #2)
Gold Dagger winning author, Michael Robotham was born in Australia in November 1960 and grew up in small country towns that had more dogs than people and more flies than dogs. He escaped in 1979 and became a cadet journalist on an afternoon newspaper in Sydney.

For the next fourteen years he worked for newspapers in Australia, Europe, Africa and America. As a senior feature writer for the UK’s Mail
More about Michael Robotham...

Joseph O'Loughlin (8 books)
  • Suspect (Joseph O'Loughlin, #1)
  • Lost (Joseph O'Loughlin #2)
  • Bleed for Me (Joseph O'Loughlin #4)
  • The Wreckage (Joseph O'Loughlin, #5)
  • Say You're Sorry (Joseph O'Loughlin #6)
  • Watching You (Joseph O'Loughlin, #7)
  • Close Your Eyes (Joseph O'Loughlin, #8)

“There is a moment when all hope disappears, all pride is gone, all expectation, all faith, all desire. I own that moment. It belongs to me. That's when I hear the sound, the sound of a mind breaking. It's not a loud crack like when bones shatter or a spine fractures or a skull collapses. And it's not something soft and wet like a heart breaking. It's a sound that makes you wonder how much pain a person can endure; a sound that shatters memories and lets the past leak into the present; a sound so high that only the hounds of hell can hear it. Can you hear it? Someone is curled up in a tiny ball crying softly into an endless night.” 6 likes
“Sometimes I wake at night and worry that I might have disappeared in my sleep. That's what happens when nobody cares about you. Bit by bit you begin to disappear until people look right through your chest and head like you're made of glass. It's not about love; it's about being forgotten. We only exist if others think about us. It is like that tree that falls in the forest with nobody around to hear it. Who the fuck cares except the birds?” 3 likes