Start by marking “How to Sit” as Want to Read:
Blank 133x176
How to Sit

Thích Nhất Hạnh

How to Sit (Mindfulness Essentials #1)

4.19 of 5 stars 4.19  ·  rating details  ·  282 ratings  ·  43 reviews
"How to Sit" is the first in a new series of how-to titles by Zen Master Thich Nhat Hanh that introduces beginners to and reminds seasoned practitioners of the essentials of mindfulness practice. Pocket-sized with bold black-and-white illustrations by Jason DeAntonis, "How to Sit" provides explicit, simple directions on the mechanics of posture and breathing, along with in ...more
Published May 22nd 2014 by Parallax Press (first published March 14th 2014)

To ask other readers questions about How to Sit, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about How to Sit

Michael
Every page contains wisdom that can easily be incorporated into existing, or new, mindfulness meditation practices. This is a gem I will return to again and again.
Phil Overeem
Slim but powerful. I hope to consistently put it to use, since I am teeming with habit energy.
Petra Psohlavcová
Takový jakýsi průvodce každodenní meditací. Celá knížečka pojednává hlavně o tom, jak si někam sednout a správně dýchat a nechat si pročistit mysl. Není to špatně napsané, ale pořád se to opakuje dokolečka z různých pohledů a může to znít trochu nudně.
Digdem Serter
It is always pleasure reading Thich Nhat Hanh's words.
Kazia Trujillo
Everyone should read this book!
Hepburn
This little book is full of wisdom, energy, and love, and one of the most precious books that I have ever read because of the following reasons:

First, Thich Nhat mentioned that "when you think you are sitting alone, your ancestors are sitting with you." So, breathing in, I can say, "Mother, I invite you to breathe in and out with me."

The following quote reminds me of my decreased mother:
"When they were alive, they might not have had a chance to sit mindfully and breathe peacefully. But now, in
Stephen West
Disappointing.about 120 pages with each page only containing about a paragraph or two. Not sure who this was intended for. Not really thorough enough for a beginner in meditation and to superficial for those looking for insights beyond just an introduction.
Nina1982
A very useful reminder how and why to lead a mindful life and what to do if you want to establish a meaningful meditation practice.
Joe
Not really sure who the intended audience for this book is. It's full of great wisdom, but I was confused as to why one would need this book. If you have a meditation practice and want some short paragraph reminders to reinvigorate or remind you of your intention, than perhaps this book is perfect. It's just not thorough enough for a beginner and it's a bit too simplistic for someone with experience and practice. Good ideas, just seems like an odd book to create (especially since the author has ...more
Alexa
While I started this book a while ago, I decided to start again and read it all in one sitting. I found it to be a great introduction to the concept of meditation, explaining the importance of doing something just to do it (for example, sitting just to sit, breathing just to enjoy breathing).

I'm glad I took the time to really focus on the lessons shared here, as the book explained quite a lot in about 100 pages! I also liked the included guided meditations, because it's nice to have a place to
JDK1962
A book of small essays (a few paragraphs each, at most), probably of most use to those with a meditation practice already going. Seems like the kind of book one can come back to a few times a year, and as your practice develops, you'll pick up new/different insights.

But what do I know...I'm a rank beginner, and everything helps at this point.
Kyley
This is a beautiful little book. Unpretentious and welcoming. It has tangible advice on developing a practice and it has wise and playful insights on when, where, why to sit. Most of all it is full of love and warmth for the practice of meditation. It's a pocket sized treasure, and I am sure I will return to it for encouragement and insight.
Jennifer Margulis
An easy-to-read practical guide to how to begin meditating, stop the ticker tape of negativity in your head, and become more peaceful, present, and grounded. I love the illustrations as much as the thoughtful prose. This is a book I will read over and over again.
Siddharth
Like any other Thay's (Thich Nhat Hanh) book, this book also brings you back to reality. Every word, every page written in the book reflects Thay's pristine thoughts. The book teaches us how to relax, breathe and sit in the most serene manner known to mankind.
Hugo
It is like having a teacher at your side offering you incisive advice and guidance....as mentioned before a book one will effortlessly come back to on a subject which is paradoxically simple yet hard...the book has already become a true friend for it.
Nick
Sitting is easy. Sitting mindfully and getting enlightenment out of it is another altogether. I'm good at the first. This book showed me that I'm a rank beginner at the second. It's a beautiful, kind book full of insight and wisdom.
Jacqueline Hager-Bodnar
I have learned so much about meditation from Thich Nhat Hanh. This book is wonderful! It's short, to the point, and easy to understand. It provides great information about meditation and being mindful. Loved it and highly recommend it!
Kim H.
This 97 page book appears to contain basic, simple steps to sitting meditation/mindfulness. And it does! However, the author's simple words and ideas offer profound insight which beginners and seasoned practitioners alike will return to time and time again.
Brooke Dilling
Meh. Pretty repetitive. While its a little book, a quick book, I didn't learn anything earth shattering. I find Pema Chodron a much more engaging author on the topic of meditation.
Gail
The attitude of practical mindfulness, kindness, and encouragement of self-care that infuses this book is lovely. In a busy world, sometimes just sitting is radical act.
Ron
Decent info, nothing groundbreaking, but didn't expect it to be. So slim. Not too sure who this is marketed for...Fans of TNH probably already know this stuff..newbies, might need a little more guidance.
Lavanya Madhusudan
Useful but limited

while this book presents some useful principles,I felt that it was repetitive and not worth the value for the money
Ben Hughes
I have a feeling that this will join Epictetus' Enchiridion as a book that I re-read many times a year. Short, practical and beautiful.
*heartrl*
Great little reminders and tips about the reminders of the importance of meditation. Easy read and great advice.
Robin Imperial
Apr 21, 2015 Robin Imperial rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Robin by: Colleague at work
Excellent little book on meditation that I will buy for myself and as gifts for a brother and a friend.
Miriam
A simple & good guide to meditation for its own sake. I checked it out from the library but will probably get my own copy.
Reed
Very simple and straightforward introduction to mindfulness meditation techniques.
Matt Blair
A light, quick read on mindfulness. A very good place to start.
Lisa
It is hard to stay awake and sit.
Jessica
This is a great little book to carry around to remind myself of many things. The most important is to be in the present moment, and that focusing on the breath can make that possible. It will also allow me to be more calm in stressful situations. I have been practicing meditation for a few months now, and I'm working on doing it on my own without the guidance of an app. This book has guided meditations in the back that I can focus on while I'm practicing. Some of the concepts covered are still t ...more
  • Mercy
  • The Human Line
  • All the Odes: A Bilingual Edition
  • The Art Of Letting Go: Living The Wisdom Of St. Francis
  • Almost Invisible: Poems
  • The Business of Belief: How the World's Best Marketers, Designers, Salespeople, Coaches, Fundraisers, Educators, Entrepreneurs and Other Leaders Get Us to Believe
  • Grow a Pair: How to Stop Being a Victim and Take Back Your Life, Your Business, and Your Sanity
  • Succeeding When You're Supposed to Fail: The 6 Enduring Principles of High Achievement
  • Rowing the Atlantic: Lessons Learned on the Open Ocean
  • Time Management for a productive life
  • Mindfulness: A Practical Guide to Awakening
  • Winter Hours: Prose, Prose Poems, and Poems
  • The Abstract Wild
  • The Practicing Mind: Bringing Discipline and Focus into Your Life
More about Thích Nhất Hạnh...

Mindfulness Essentials (4 books)
  • How to Eat
  • How to Love
  • How to Walk
Peace Is Every Step: The Path of Mindfulness in Everyday Life The Miracle of Mindfulness: An Introduction to the Practice of Meditation Living Buddha, Living Christ The Heart of the Buddha's Teaching: Transforming Suffering into Peace, Joy, and Liberation Being Peace

“As soon as we pay attention to our breath, as we breathe in, these three things—body, breath, and mind—come together.” 3 likes
“There is nowhere to arrive except the present moment.” 2 likes