Start by marking “How to Sit (Mindfulness Essentials, #1)” as Want to Read:
How to Sit (Mindfulness Essentials, #1)

How to Sit (Mindfulness Essentials #1)

4.25  ·  Rating Details  ·  526 Ratings  ·  61 Reviews
"How to Sit" is the first in a new series of how-to titles by Zen Master Thich Nhat Hanh that introduces beginners to and reminds seasoned practitioners of the essentials of mindfulness practice. Pocket-sized with bold black-and-white illustrations by Jason DeAntonis, "How to Sit" provides explicit, simple directions on the mechanics of posture and breathing, along with in ...more
Published May 22nd 2014 by Parallax Press (first published March 14th 2014)

To ask other readers questions about How to Sit, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about How to Sit

Michael
Aug 03, 2014 Michael rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2014, mindfulness
Every page contains wisdom that can easily be incorporated into existing, or new, mindfulness meditation practices. This is a gem I will return to again and again.
Phil Overeem
Apr 19, 2014 Phil Overeem rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Slim but powerful. I hope to consistently put it to use, since I am teeming with habit energy.
laskavka
Jul 13, 2015 laskavka rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: zen
Takový jakýsi průvodce každodenní meditací. Celá knížečka pojednává hlavně o tom, jak si někam sednout a správně dýchat a nechat si pročistit mysl. Není to špatně napsané, ale pořád se to opakuje dokolečka z různých pohledů a může to znít trochu nudně.
Digdem Serter
Aug 04, 2014 Digdem Serter rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
It is always pleasure reading Thich Nhat Hanh's words.
Kazia Trujillo
Jun 20, 2014 Kazia Trujillo rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Everyone should read this book!
Hepburn
Jul 05, 2014 Hepburn rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2014_books
This little book is full of wisdom, energy, and love, and one of the most precious books that I have ever read because of the following reasons:

First, Thich Nhat mentioned that "when you think you are sitting alone, your ancestors are sitting with you." So, breathing in, I can say, "Mother, I invite you to breathe in and out with me."

The following quote reminds me of my decreased mother:
"When they were alive, they might not have had a chance to sit mindfully and breathe peacefully. But now, in
Stephen West
Apr 08, 2014 Stephen West rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: buddhism
Disappointing.about 120 pages with each page only containing about a paragraph or two. Not sure who this was intended for. Not really thorough enough for a beginner in meditation and to superficial for those looking for insights beyond just an introduction.
Tamara
Mar 17, 2016 Tamara rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Some great points about meditation and regulating/building insight into emotions in this volume. I prefer the How to Love and How to Relax editions. Some really useful points for both the therapist and the meditator.
Nina1982
Jun 03, 2014 Nina1982 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A very useful reminder how and why to lead a mindful life and what to do if you want to establish a meaningful meditation practice.
Joe
Jun 23, 2014 Joe rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Not really sure who the intended audience for this book is. It's full of great wisdom, but I was confused as to why one would need this book. If you have a meditation practice and want some short paragraph reminders to reinvigorate or remind you of your intention, than perhaps this book is perfect. It's just not thorough enough for a beginner and it's a bit too simplistic for someone with experience and practice. Good ideas, just seems like an odd book to create (especially since the author has ...more
Alexa
While I started this book a while ago, I decided to start again and read it all in one sitting. I found it to be a great introduction to the concept of meditation, explaining the importance of doing something just to do it (for example, sitting just to sit, breathing just to enjoy breathing).

I'm glad I took the time to really focus on the lessons shared here, as the book explained quite a lot in about 100 pages! I also liked the included guided meditations, because it's nice to have a place to
JDK1962
May 23, 2014 JDK1962 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A book of small essays (a few paragraphs each, at most), probably of most use to those with a meditation practice already going. Seems like the kind of book one can come back to a few times a year, and as your practice develops, you'll pick up new/different insights.

But what do I know...I'm a rank beginner, and everything helps at this point.
Kyley
Nov 04, 2014 Kyley rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2014
This is a beautiful little book. Unpretentious and welcoming. It has tangible advice on developing a practice and it has wise and playful insights on when, where, why to sit. Most of all it is full of love and warmth for the practice of meditation. It's a pocket sized treasure, and I am sure I will return to it for encouragement and insight.
Jennifer Margulis
An easy-to-read practical guide to how to begin meditating, stop the ticker tape of negativity in your head, and become more peaceful, present, and grounded. I love the illustrations as much as the thoughtful prose. This is a book I will read over and over again.
Siddharth
Feb 12, 2015 Siddharth rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Like any other Thay's (Thich Nhat Hanh) book, this book also brings you back to reality. Every word, every page written in the book reflects Thay's pristine thoughts. The book teaches us how to relax, breathe and sit in the most serene manner known to mankind.
Hugo
Sep 28, 2014 Hugo rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
It is like having a teacher at your side offering you incisive advice and guidance....as mentioned before a book one will effortlessly come back to on a subject which is paradoxically simple yet hard...the book has already become a true friend for it.
Nick
Mar 14, 2015 Nick rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Sitting is easy. Sitting mindfully and getting enlightenment out of it is another altogether. I'm good at the first. This book showed me that I'm a rank beginner at the second. It's a beautiful, kind book full of insight and wisdom.
Jacqueline Bodnar
I have learned so much about meditation from Thich Nhat Hanh. This book is wonderful! It's short, to the point, and easy to understand. It provides great information about meditation and being mindful. Loved it and highly recommend it!
Audrey Greathouse
Feb 01, 2016 Audrey Greathouse rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A beautiful little piece on Meditating. The prose is as catchy and articulate as the title. Not sure I fully internalized it, but since it must be less than 1,000 words, it's a fun little read and a good reminder to be present!
Kim H.
Feb 20, 2015 Kim H. rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This 97 page book appears to contain basic, simple steps to sitting meditation/mindfulness. And it does! However, the author's simple words and ideas offer profound insight which beginners and seasoned practitioners alike will return to time and time again.
Brooke Dilling
Meh. Pretty repetitive. While its a little book, a quick book, I didn't learn anything earth shattering. I find Pema Chodron a much more engaging author on the topic of meditation.
Gail
The attitude of practical mindfulness, kindness, and encouragement of self-care that infuses this book is lovely. In a busy world, sometimes just sitting is radical act.
Ron
Jul 30, 2014 Ron rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Decent info, nothing groundbreaking, but didn't expect it to be. So slim. Not too sure who this is marketed for...Fans of TNH probably already know this stuff..newbies, might need a little more guidance.
Lavanya Madhusudan
Useful but limited

while this book presents some useful principles,I felt that it was repetitive and not worth the value for the money
Yoko
Feb 03, 2016 Yoko rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A very quick read (I read it at a hair salon while getting my hair done). Good reminders for new and practicing meditation students.
Brendon Shank
Feb 01, 2016 Brendon Shank rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I loved this little book. But I wish I had read the actual paper version vs the Kindle version. It's adorably simple and centering.
Ben Hughes
Nov 29, 2014 Ben Hughes rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 52in52
I have a feeling that this will join Epictetus' Enchiridion as a book that I re-read many times a year. Short, practical and beautiful.
Rees evans

To say anything.
4 more words required.
*heartrl*
Jul 29, 2014 *heartrl* rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Great little reminders and tips about the reminders of the importance of meditation. Easy read and great advice.
Hannahlily
Sep 28, 2015 Hannahlily rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Don't do what I did and assume that because this book is small and thin and doesn't have a lot of words on the page that it's an easy read. There's so much here, and it's great and really useful, but it takes some time to parse.
  • The Kindness Handbook: A Practical Companion
  • Rowing the Atlantic: Lessons Learned on the Open Ocean
  • The Art Of Letting Go: Living The Wisdom Of St. Francis
  • Blue Desert
  • Introduction to Tantra: The Transformation of Desire
  • Aging as a Spiritual Practice: A Contemplative Guide to Growing Older and Wiser
  • Dakini's Warm Breath: The Feminine Principle in Tibetan Buddhism
  • The Business of Belief: How the World's Best Marketers, Designers, Salespeople, Coaches, Fundraisers, Educators, Entrepreneurs and Other Leaders Get Us to Believe
  • Writings from the Zen Masters
More about Thich Nhat Hanh...

Mindfulness Essentials (4 books)
  • How to Eat (Mindfulness Essentials, #2)
  • How to Love (Mindfulness Essentials, #3)
  • How to Walk (Mindfulness Essentials, #4)

“There is nowhere to arrive except the present moment.” 11 likes
“As soon as we pay attention to our breath, as we breathe in, these three things—body, breath, and mind—come together.” 4 likes