Start by marking “How to Sit” as Want to Read:
How to Sit

Thích Nhất Hạnh

How to Sit

4.07 of 5 stars 4.07  ·  rating details  ·  110 ratings  ·  25 reviews
"How to Sit" is the first in a new series of how-to titles by Zen Master Thich Nhat Hanh that introduces beginners to and reminds seasoned practitioners of the essentials of mindfulness practice. Pocket-sized with bold black-and-white illustrations by Jason DeAntonis, "How to Sit" provides explicit, simple directions on the mechanics of posture and breathing, along with in ...more
Published May 22nd 2014 by Parallax Press (first published March 14th 2014)

To ask other readers questions about How to Sit, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about How to Sit

Michael
Every page contains wisdom that can easily be incorporated into existing, or new, mindfulness meditation practices. This is a gem I will return to again and again.
Phil Overeem
Slim but powerful. I hope to consistently put it to use, since I am teeming with habit energy.
Digdem Serter
It is always pleasure reading Thich Nhat Hanh's words.
Kazia Trujillo
Everyone should read this book!
Hepburn
This little book is full of wisdom, energy, and love, and one of the most precious books that I have ever read because of the following reasons:

First, Thich Nhat mentioned that "when you think you are sitting alone, your ancestors are sitting with you." So, breathing in, I can say, "Mother, I invite you to breathe in and out with me."

The following quote reminds me of my decreased mother:
"When they were alive, they might not have had a chance to sit mindfully and breathe peacefully. But now, in
Stephen West
Disappointing.about 120 pages with each page only containing about a paragraph or two. Not sure who this was intended for. Not really thorough enough for a beginner in meditation and to superficial for those looking for insights beyond just an introduction.
Nina1982
A very useful reminder how and why to lead a mindful life and what to do if you want to establish a meaningful meditation practice.
Joe
Not really sure who the intended audience for this book is. It's full of great wisdom, but I was confused as to why one would need this book. If you have a meditation practice and want some short paragraph reminders to reinvigorate or remind you of your intention, than perhaps this book is perfect. It's just not thorough enough for a beginner and it's a bit too simplistic for someone with experience and practice. Good ideas, just seems like an odd book to create (especially since the author has ...more
JDK1962
A book of small essays (a few paragraphs each, at most), probably of most use to those with a meditation practice already going. Seems like the kind of book one can come back to a few times a year, and as your practice develops, you'll pick up new/different insights.

But what do I know...I'm a rank beginner, and everything helps at this point.
Kyley
This is a beautiful little book. Unpretentious and welcoming. It has tangible advice on developing a practice and it has wise and playful insights on when, where, why to sit. Most of all it is full of love and warmth for the practice of meditation. It's a pocket sized treasure, and I am sure I will return to it for encouragement and insight.
Hugo
It is like having a teacher at your side offering you incisive advice and guidance....as mentioned before a book one will effortlessly come back to on a subject which is paradoxically simple yet hard...the book has already become a true friend for it.
Jacqueline Hager-Bodnar
I have learned so much about meditation from Thich Nhat Hanh. This book is wonderful! It's short, to the point, and easy to understand. It provides great information about meditation and being mindful. Loved it and highly recommend it!
Ron
Decent info, nothing groundbreaking, but didn't expect it to be. So slim. Not too sure who this is marketed for...Fans of TNH probably already know this stuff..newbies, might need a little more guidance.
Lavanya Madhusudan
Useful but limited

while this book presents some useful principles,I felt that it was repetitive and not worth the value for the money
Ben Hughes
I have a feeling that this will join Epictetus' Enchiridion as a book that I re-read many times a year. Short, practical and beautiful.
*heartrl*
Great little reminders and tips about the reminders of the importance of meditation. Easy read and great advice.
Reed
Very simple and straightforward introduction to mindfulness meditation techniques.
Lisa
It is hard to stay awake and sit.
Sbberns
A brief, gentle introduction to sitting meditation practice
Lynecia

A delightful little book full of wonderful short chapters and quaint illustrations, offering quick, but powerful reminders on the power of mindfulness meditation.
I give it 3.5 stars not because it isn't helpful, but because I don't think its a great place to start for beginner's to the philosophy or practice. It's a supplemental book for those who'd like some pick me ups and/or inspiration when it comes to their own practice.
I recommend "Peace is Every Step" first; and this as a compa
Joy
Simple and profound
Sylvia Kuras
Thich Nhat Hanh never disappoints. Simple always keeps Zen simple. A good lesson and reminder.
David
Beautiful reminders for inviting peace into our lives with mindfulness and meditation.
Sweet little book with tips for beginning a sitting meditation practice. "The present moment contains the whole of life."
Haiko Meelis
Enjoyed this reminder to the practice. From every reminder you pick up new things that fit you to focus on next.
Toby Osbourn
Toby Osbourn marked it as to-read
Juan Caraballo
Juan Caraballo is currently reading it
Nora Duncan
Nora Duncan marked it as to-read
Steven Trimmer
Steven Trimmer marked it as to-read
Dec 18, 2014
  • The Best Year of Your Life: Dream It, Plan It, Live It
  • Style Statement: Live By Your Own Design
  • Why Meditate: Working with Thoughts and Emotions
  • Islands, the Universe, Home
  • Chas Addams Happily Ever After: A Collection of Cartoons to Chill the Heart of Your Loved One
  • Becoming Kuan Yin: The Evolution of Compassion
  • The Urban Sketching Handbook: People and Motion: Tips and Techniques for Drawing on Location
  • Understanding a Photograph (Penguin Modern Classics)
  • The Neuroscience of Change: A Compassion-Based Program for Personal Transformation
  • Mind Whispering: A New Map to Freedom from Self-Defeating Emotional Habits
  • Manual of Zen Buddhism
  • A Brief Guide to World Domination
  • Syllabus: Notes from an Accidental Professor
  • Sex, Sin, and Zen: A Buddhist  Exploration of Sex from Celibacy to Polyamory and Everything In Between
Thích Nhất Hạnh is a Vietnamese Buddhist monk, teacher, author, poet and peace activist who now lives in southwest France where he was in exile for many years.

Born Nguyễn Xuân Bảo, Thích Nhất Hạnh joined a Zen (Vietnamese: Thiền) monastery at the age of 16, and studied Buddhism as a novitiate. Upon his ordination as a monk in 1949, he assumed the Dharma name Thích Nhất Hạnh. Thích is an honorary
More about Thích Nhất Hạnh...
Peace Is Every Step: The Path of Mindfulness in Everyday Life The Miracle of Mindfulness: An Introduction to the Practice of Meditation Living Buddha, Living Christ The Heart of the Buddha's Teaching: Transforming Suffering into Peace, Joy, and Liberation Being Peace

“As soon as we pay attention to our breath, as we breathe in, these three things—body, breath, and mind—come together.” 0 likes
“The present moment contains the whole of life.” 0 likes