Chocolate Fever

Chocolate Fever

3.69 of 5 stars 3.69  ·  rating details  ·  3,882 ratings  ·  277 reviews
Henry Green loved chocolate probably more than anybody in the world. So much so, that he made medical history when he contracted the only case ever of "chocolate fever." That's only the beginning of Henry's unusual adventures in this lighthearted tale sure to satisfy chocolate lovers everywhere. 2 cassettes.
Published February 25th 1997 by Yearling (first published January 1st 1972)

Stephen
Henry Green eats nothing but chocolate, and this delightful story follows Henry on a wonderful adventure as he breaks out in a "chocolate fever"!

When spots start popping out all over his arms during class, his teacher whisks him off for a visit with the crazy Dr. Fargo. When Henry loses confidence in the wacky doc, he takes off and is chased through the streets by half the hospital staff! What happens next will surprise you.

IS there a cure for chocolate fever? My favort book is Chocolate Fever....more
Kathleen Kirby Vallejo
FINALLY found a chapter book that all of my kids enjoyed!!! With the oldest at 9 and the youngest at 3, it's been hard to find a book to read aloud to them that would entertain them all. I tried Fablehaven and Beezus and Ramona and a few others, but we never got past the first few chapter of any of them. Then I remembered hearing about a book called Chocolate Fever and figured that since all of my kids are such candy freaks, they would be sure to like this one. And I was right! They were all beg...more
Colby
Born in Brooklyn, New York, Robert Kimmel Smith was 8 years old when he read his first book—a book that moved him enough to make him cry. It turned out to be a life-defining event, because after that experience he decided not only that he loved reading, but also, luckily for us and for his millions of fans, that he wanted to become a writer. Little did he know that he would grow up to become an award-winning author whose books have sold millions of copies and are making a difference to millions...more
Dallas
Chocolate fever is about a boy who loves chocolate and eats it all the time and never gets sick, but one day he ate chocolate and his body started acting weird, so he went to school and chocolate dot started to pop on him and the teacher sent him to the doctor. After, Henry thought the doctor was no good use he ran away. Everyone was chasing after him and after he got them off his tail he met a black guy that offered him a lift and when they were driving two guys who wore all black came and held...more
Sadie Kaminske
I thought "Chocolate Fever" was a really good book. I think it was cute the way Robert Kimmel Smith got his point across. A boy named Henry Green loves chocolate, he eats it for every meal of the day. Henry is sitting in school when he gets a rash. Nobody has ever seen a rash like this before.
In "Chocolate Fever" Henry Green is the main character of the book. He loves chocolate and eats it with everything. Mac is a semi driver who picks Henry up when he is running away from home. There is als...more
Carol
Do you like chocolate? How much chocolate can you eat every day? Have you ever got sick by eating too much chocolate? Chocolate Fever is about a boy called Henry Green who was born a chocoholic. He loves chocolate to death. He eats chocolate for all meals every day and he eats everything with chocolate. This is how he introduces himself, ‘I love chocolate. I love chocolate so much that chocolate practically runs through my vains’.

One day he finds some strange chocolate dots pop up all over his b...more
D.M. Dutcher (Sword Cross Rocket)
A silly, weird book that speaks more to kids than the adults reading it to them. The middle of the book is odd even by its own standards.

Henry Green loves chocolate. By loves, I mean "eats so much that it makes candy-loving adults sick to their stomach to read about it." It doesn't harm him, until one day little brown spots smelling of candy sprout all over him during class. He has chocolate fever, and out of worry runs away from the doctor who treats him. Can he ever be cured?

It's appropriate f...more
Swankivy
So this book is about a boy who ate so much chocolate that he gave himself a disease: Chocolate Fever. As a child, the first thing I thought when I saw that chocolate-freak Henry ate so much chocolate was "What are his parents doing?" (Yes, as a kid I wondered why his parents bought him so much chocolate.) Anyway, he starts breaking out in chocolate dots and the hospital is perplexed at the first known case of CHOCOLATE FEVER, so he freaked out, ran away, and had an adventure with a truck driver...more
Joseph
Jun 01, 2008 Joseph rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: chocolate lovers
Shelves: freshmen-4
hello?!?! Chocolate is the topic of the book, well i kind of guessed because of the illustration and the title of the book. it seemed like such a nice things to read too because it had a little of adventure and a little bit of everything else id like in a book. so the book starts out with this boy named henry. at first we get to know that he loves chocolate on everything like whatever he eats. but one day, chocolate spots just pop out of nowhere. anyways not to spoil the book, he goes through a...more
Keyani
This book was a good book.I liked this book.This book was about a boy that loved chocolate.The boy ate shocolate so much that he started to have chocolate dots all over his face.His parents started to get worried when the dots kept going and coming back.

When the parents got to worried they took the boy to the hospital. The doctor said he has a unique concusion.His concusion was called Chocolate Fever.The boy was so scared that he left the hospital and ran away.

He got picked up by his truck dr...more
Taiba Hussain
Henry is a little boy who adores chocolate! He eats and eats and could never have enough....well until one day at least when suddenly he doesn’t feel so great. He goes to the doctor with this phenomenal case of chocolate fever but the doctor just isn’t doing enough. So off goes Henry on the run, with a number of people chasing after him. He finds a friend and they decide to take up residence in a cabin till the drama dies down. They make their way home eventually and stop at a store where luckil...more
Christina
This is one classic I read in elementary school, and I found it at a local book sale, and decided to re-read it. Henry Green loved chocolate so much that he ate it at every meal. At the end of the story, Henry gets Chocolate Fever and he learns an important lesson. Too much of one thing can create problems. Moderation is important!

At the end of the book, Henry's sister introduces him to cinnamon. Henry starts thinking of the different foods he can have with cinnamon. The author doesn't say whet...more
Gracia
I liked how funny it was. The doctor thought he had freckles when he ate too much chocolate. He ran away because he was tired of the hospital. He found his friend Sam and they drove away. They stayed in a cabin. On the first night they almost got robbed by famous robbers. The police came and captured the robbers. They decided to go back home and on their way home they stopped at a store. The store keeper said that it looked like the boy had chocolate fever. The store keeper gave him a bottle of...more
Carl Koch
I read "Chocolate Fever" by Robert Kimmel Smith. When the book starts Henry cannot stop eating chocolate. He puts it on everything from fried chicken to noodles. One day however, he starts to feel funny. He doesn't realize how bad it is though until he starts getting brown spots all over his body. He gets taken to the doctor and they analyze the spots. It turns out they are chocolate! Everybody starts getting crazy and wants to experiment on him so he runs away. He then met a very nice truck dri...more
Kalli Olivar
The book was sooo funny,I thougt it was funny because at his school he started to grow these huge brown spots all over him.So his teacher saw them stoped what she was doing picked up the phone and the school nures.The nures told him to open his mouth,after that the called a docter to take him to the hospitle.Once he got to the hospitle he had nothing but his underwear on,so he grabed his stuff and ran out of the buildeng with nothing but his underwear on!!!
Dan Crist
Amanda
I read this to Emma to help her fall asleep (novels do that to 3 year olds) because I remember enjoying this book as a kid. It's a good short story about a boy learning that there is such a thing as too much of a good thing. I would recommend it to anyone that wants a 100 page easy read just for the fun of it, especially if they are in the 5-12 range and have the patience for 100 pages. Good read.
Jean
I read this with my five year old grandson who enjoyed it immensely. I enjoyed the humor (largely missed by my grandson)and the surprising themes (bullying,racism,self-control)that it afforded an opportunity to talk about. This morning my four year old granddaughter asked me if I would read some more of the book I was reading to her brother. Apparently, it was a hit with her too!
Karen Arendt
Good narration, very humorous. I thought the ending would turn out to be just a dream, but luckily, no! Some good discussion can be generated when Henry crosses paths with some bullies, gets into the truck with a stranger (who is very helpful!), and runs away from his problem. Overall, though, a very enjoyable story and perfect for book club, which is why I read it!
Kori Looker
This book is so crazy! A boy, Henry, gets the one and only case of Chocolate Fever in history. To get this case, he ate chocolates of all kinds everyday all day. It was just insane! His teacher and parents didn't know what was happening to him. He quit eating chocolate. I suggest this book to teens that like a wild ride in their choices of books.
Michelle
I came across this one while searching the library catalog for something different. I vaguely remember it from my childhood, but I know that I remembered it fondly.

It is a cute, simple story with a moral. I don't usually like overt morals in stories, but this was good. I think kids would enjoy some of the ridiculous but fun scenes in the story.
Susan  Thompson
I fondly remembered this book from my childhood so thought I'd try it as a read aloud for my boys. The verdict: light, fun, and kept their interest. Cute story about what happens to a boy after comes down with a bad case of "chocolate fever" and then runs away from home. Nicely paced with a happy finish.
Zach Volz
I liked this book a lot. This book is and easy quick read. It is also a good book to read. The book is about a boy who loves chocolate and eats it with everything. He then breaks out in a rash that is pure chocolate. I would recommend this book to middle school or elementary students.
Greta
All i can say is,hahahahhaha very funny amusing book i love it i think it is worth the time and the laugh.

Also, if you love chocolate like me i am eating it right now it is sooo good so any way read it love it rate it comment review recomend i love it!!!

And i am sure you will to.

Nyemah
This book is a wonderful story and why would Henry green eat eggs with Chocolate on top.Who would ever do that well his mom appreciates him eating chocolate EVERYDAY!!! well i wouldn't be Henry because he will have a chocolate fever!! There is no such thing as chocolatefever's.
Kate
Aug 08, 2009 Kate rated it 1 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: NO ONE
Shelves: children-s, food
Maybe the annoying narrator of the audiobook ruined this story for me, but this was the worse children's book I've read in a while. It was preachy and boringly pedantic. The message: You can't have everything you want all the time. Ugh.
Zoe Cope
In Chocolate Fever by Robert Kimmel Smith my favorite character was Henry because he ate chocolate cake every day for breakfast. He put chocolate sprinkles on his noodles. He had chocolate for a snack every day. I also liked Lefty and Louie because they were funny. I liked when Lefty said, “I’m Lefty, he’s Louie. People get us mixed up sometimes, but I don’t know why.”
I was surprised when Lefty and Louie took over the truck. Later, I was surprised when all the dogs came running out from the do...more
Julie Sondra Decker
Henry eats a ton of chocolate, and one day for no apparent reason he breaks out in chocolate spots all over his body. It's chocolate fever! Panicked, he runs away from the hospital and gets caught up in an odd crime chase with a truck driver. Eventually he learns there's such a thing as too much of your favorite things. I thought this book's premise, though purposely silly, was a little too thin and ungracefully rendered, probably mostly because no time was really spent on developing the charact...more
Brittany
is a good book to read if you have a upsession with chocolate. Ha Ha lol. Or maybe not it is just a good book.
luhvBOOKS
Title: Chocolate Fever

Author: Robert Kimmel Smith

Series: N/A

Rating: ★★★

Summary; Henry Green is a boy who loves chocolate. He likes it bitter, sweet, dark, light, and daily; for breakfast, lunch, dinner, and snacks; in cakes, candy bars, milk, and every other form you can possibly imagine. Henry probably loves chocolate more than any boy in the history of the world. One day - it starts off like any other day - Henry finds that strange things are happening to him. First he makes medical history w...more
The Chocolate Fever 4 7 Jan 15, 2014 04:56PM
Chocolate Fever 1 10 Feb 09, 2012 08:56AM
  • The Chocolate Touch
  • Stanley's Christmas Adventure (Flat Stanley, #5)
  • The Stories Julian Tells
  • The Best School Year Ever (The Herdmans #2)
  • The School Mouse
  • Elmer and the Dragon (My Father's Dragon, #2)
  • Cupid Doesn't Flip Hamburgers (The Adventures of the Bailey School Kids, #12)
  • Fourth Grade Rats
  • Class Clown
  • Junie B., First Grader: Aloha-ha-ha! (Junie B. Jones, #26)
  • Wild Whale Watch (The Magic School Chapter Book, #3)
  • How to Eat Fried Worms
  • Shoo, Fly Guy! (Fly Guy, #3)
  • Soup (Soup, #1)
  • Runaway Ralph (Ralph S. Mouse, #2)
  • The Littles Give A Party
  • Encyclopedia Brown and the Case of the Secret Pitch (Encyclopedia Brown, #2)
  • Stink and the World's Worst Super-Stinky Sneakers (Stink, #3)
Robert Kimmel Smith began dreaming of becoming a writer at the age of eight, when he spent three months in bed reading while recovering from rheumatic fever. He enrolled in Brooklyn College in 1947, and served in the U.S. Army, in Germany, from 1951-1953. In 1954 he married Claire Medney, his editor and literary agent. They have two children: Heidi (1962) and Roger (1967). After writing advertisin...more
More about Robert Kimmel Smith...
The War with Grandpa Jelly Belly Jane's House Sadie Shapiro's Knitting Book Mostly Michael