Start by marking “The Temple of Doubt (The Temple of Doubt, #1)” as Want to Read:
The Temple of Doubt (The Temple of Doubt, #1)

The Temple of Doubt (The Temple of Doubt #1)

“Fiercely original with a capable and plucky heroine, The Temple of Doubt rips open a door to a fresh new fantasy world.” —Amalie Howard, author of the Aquarathi series and Alpha Goddess

It’s been two six-days since a falling star crashed into the marshes beyond Port Sapphire, putting the wilds of Kuldor off-limits to fifteen-year-old Hadara. She feels this loss deeply and
Published August 4th 2015 by Sky Pony Press

To ask other readers questions about The Temple of Doubt, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Temple of Doubt

Kirsty (Amethyst Bookwyrm)
Thanks to Edelweiss and Sky Pony Press for giving me this book to review.

Hadara’s life changes when a falling star crashes near her home in the off-limits wilds, where she and her mother pick illegal herbs to heal people, which is believed to be heresy. Two powerful priests arrive to investigate the star as they think it is a demon come to try and destroy the God Nihil. Hadara and her mother are chosen to be guides in the wilds but Hadara doubts the truth she has been taught about the sacred an
Pixel
May 05, 2016 Pixel rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: fantasy fans, characterization geeks
Shelves: great-4-stars
With an intelligent protagonist and a fresh take on fantasy, plus a cast of complex and interesting supporting characters on the side, Anne Boles Levy's The Temple of Doubt is an intriguing first impression.

I remember two years ago when I first heard about this book. I also remember how badly I wanted to read it, how badly I wanted to fall in love with it, to fall in love with its heroine. I am so glad that all of those wishes came true.

Just like Laurie Halse Anderson's Speak, this book really m
Charlotte
Aug 24, 2015 Charlotte rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2015, rc-15
The Temple of Doubt introduces one of the most believable speculative fiction teenage protagonists I've read in a long time, a girl named Hadara, who finds herself unwillingly placed at the center of events that not only shatter the pattern of her own life, but will probably change her whole world.

It starts with a shooting star, falling into the swampy heart of her island home. Soon after, two high priests of the god Nihil and their military retinue arrive from overseas, taking over the place, a
Luke Morris
Oct 05, 2015 Luke Morris rated it it was amazing
'The Temple of Doubt' defied any expectations I might have held for it. It's a young adult fantasy, but it gives us no dragons, elves, or wizard schools. The female protagonist doesn't wield a bow and arrow (or any other weapon), and she isn't caught up in an awkward love triangle between handsome but tortured rebels (or handsome but tortured supernatural monsters). Magic doesn't solve all problems, and even seems to create more problems than it solves.

What Ms. Levy's novel DOES give us is a str
Christina
Apr 26, 2015 Christina rated it really liked it
I hate rating books. I didn't dislike it, but I didn't absolutely love it so... 3.5 stars?

As a whole, the concept of this book was interesting. I like the thought of a rebel against religious fanaticism. But the entire society was annoying. They were completely puritanical, and it made reading about certain things almost painful.

Things that were awesome about this book
The Gek creatures. I mean come on. Lizard people? That's pretty cool. The magic that was used was also pretty neat. The overall p
Hope
Dec 20, 2015 Hope rated it it was amazing
First, I won this book from goodreads first reads. And am thankful for it.

Second there is trigger warnings for this book; mentioned rape and attempted rape, as well as an odd seen where the main character is kind of magically molested. There's also some body horror towards the end if I remember correctly.

This book gets really intense towards the end. In fact, it's a slow build until a little bit past the half-way point. I didn't find anything troubling with the book and I have triggers that are
Cathy
Sep 18, 2015 Cathy rated it really liked it
Shelves: goodreads
I received this book from entering a Goodreads drawing.

I liked The Temple of Doubt very much. It is well written and the main character, Hadara, is very likable, intelligent and strong. The story flows quickly and it was easy getting absorbed by what was happening. I found it a quick read and am looking forward to book two.
Becca
Sep 12, 2015 Becca rated it really liked it
I won this book in a goodreads giveaway.
I give this book 4 stars for creativity and originality. Everything about this book was so different from all the other books I've read. The book was a good read overall, and I'm glad to have been able to read it.
I would recommend this book to anyone looking for a creative read!
I hope you enjoy The Temple of Doubt by Anne Boles Levy!
Dec 04, 2015 Sarah rated it it was ok
Recieved A Free Copy From A Giveaway (Goodreads)

This was actually more interesting than I expected! And it made you think about religion, and government, in the process. Maybe it was only me, but the entire issue with control, what you can and cannot do, what is right and wrong..just seemed entirely real to me. I would most definitely recommend this to everyone.
Rachel
Sep 01, 2015 Rachel rated it really liked it
Shelves: firstreads, 2015
I received this book from the Goodreads First Reads program.
An original story with a lovable, if clumsy, heroine. This was only the beginning and I find myself already speculating as to what will happen in the next installment. I am hoping a certain character is not really dead, and that some of the heroines new found gifts will prove their worth in the next book.
Pam
Aug 18, 2015 Pam rated it it was amazing
Wow. New world. Totally new belief system. Much love.
LouLou
Sep 01, 2015 LouLou rated it liked it
Read review in its entirety at http://www.compassbookratings.com/rev...

Anne Boles Levy's debut novel The Temple of Doubt emerges with religious magicians, demonic possession, and primitive island lore, entreating readers with elements that are both familiar and unusual. Although the mythical world is somewhat hard to wrap one's head around, the amusing imaginary creatures that Levy creates and entertaining family dynamics are the high points of the novel.

Narrated by teen protagonist Hadara, read
Elizabeth Drake
Jun 13, 2015 Elizabeth Drake rated it did not like it
Shelves: did-not-finish
Quit at 25 pages.

This world is really strange and poorly described. The religion is extremely confusing and I was getting frustrated trying to understand what the heck is going on. Things were not going well but I could have hung in there.

Then I hit a scene that really disturbed me

"He held me by some unseen force, rooted to the spot, angry prickles burning my flesh that didn't spare any part of me, and burned most fiercely between my thighs. I panicked, clenched my legs tighter, and grabbed at
Jessica Zendejas
Sep 10, 2015 Jessica Zendejas rated it liked it
I received this book from a giveaway done by goodreads.
Overall this book was average. When I read the description of the book it left me excited to start the book. I thought it was going to a great addition to my dystopian collection, but I was kinda disappointed. The whole book, for me, was confusing for me ( I am a little slow sometimes) this lead me to not fully enjoy the book. I just couldn't help feeling that I was missing something. I don't dislike the book, its just probably not my style
Christina
Mar 16, 2016 Christina rated it did not like it
Awful writing. Could have used a good editor. MC was annoying. DNF at 35%. Got fed up after reading "I sighed crisply" one too many times. Ugh
Alex
Alex rated it it was amazing
Jan 08, 2016
Hafiza
Hafiza rated it it was amazing
Oct 12, 2015
Nicole Frail
Nicole Frail rated it it was amazing
Jun 17, 2015
Gina D
Gina D rated it liked it
Apr 04, 2016
Poulami
Poulami rated it liked it
Aug 04, 2016
Michael Brooks
Michael Brooks rated it liked it
Sep 08, 2015
Hailey Few
Hailey Few rated it it was amazing
Aug 22, 2015
Megan Weiss
Megan Weiss rated it liked it
Sep 25, 2016
impeccable panda
impeccable panda rated it it was ok
Oct 22, 2015
Linda Bandler
Linda Bandler rated it it was amazing
Nov 06, 2016
Kenna Tefteller
Kenna Tefteller rated it liked it
May 21, 2016
Keke
Keke rated it really liked it
Sep 01, 2016
Teresa
Apr 06, 2015 Teresa is currently reading it

** E-Arc provided by Edelweiss **
Cecilia Dunbar Hernandez
Cecilia Dunbar Hernandez rated it it was amazing
May 26, 2015
Chefossemia Alwaysreads
Chefossemia Alwaysreads rated it really liked it
Nov 16, 2016
  • How Could I Ask for More: Stories of Blessings, Battles, and Beauty
  • Ravaged Land (The Ravaged Land #1)
  • Bounce
  • The Seventh Hour
  • Sacrificed (The Last Oracle, #1)
  • Virion
  • Sing Down the Stars
  • The Way to School
  • Revelation (Children of the After, #2)
  • What We Did for Love: Resistance, Heartbreak, Betrayal
  • The Talented Mr. Maxwell
  • I'm Not Your Manic Pixie Dream Girl
  • The Joy of Yoga: Fifty Sequences for Your Home and Studio Practice
  • Into the Wildewood (Faire Folk Trilogy #2)
  • Deviants (Dust Chronicles, #1)
  • Double Exposure
  • Freaks of Nature (The Psion Chronicles #1)
  • How to Make Out

The Temple of Doubt (2 books)
  • The Well of Prayers (The Temple of Doubt, #2)