Start by marking “Stalked: A dangerous predator. A life lived in fear. A terrifying true story.” as Want to Read:
Stalked: A dangerous predator. A life lived in fear. A terrifying true story.

Stalked: A dangerous predator. A life lived in fear. A terrifying true story.

Alison Hewitt was in the midst of training to be a family doctor when she met Al Amin Dhalla through an exclusive dating agency. He was a seemingly respectable businessman from Canada, so attentive and caring it was easy to ignore the warning signs - until he started, step by step, to take over her life.

Six months after they first met Al Amin's web of lies started to unra

Published August 28th 2014 by Pan

To ask other readers questions about Stalked, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Stalked

Ann
Oct 03, 2014 Ann rated it it was amazing
A really gripping read. Once started it is difficult to put down. Alison a trainee doctor meets Al a Canadian business man through an upmarket dating agency. At first all goes well and Alison enjoys her developing relationship with Al. Despite some misgivings on her part Al moves into Alison’s flat. Gradually Alison comes to realise that Al is not the man she thought he was and tries to end the relationship. However Al refuses to accept this and subjects Alison and her family to a terrifying ...more
Shaun
Sep 14, 2014 Shaun rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2014
I went through a phase a couple of years ago of reading loads of those true story books, about child abuse or people who had come from a bad upbringing only to overcome it and go on and live their life. They can often be somewhat depressing and it's weird to think how well they sell. What's the reason for reading them? Often they can go into far too much detail that it's almost perverse to read them.

Stalking in particular I think is quite scary because it can come in many different forms. In the
Damaskcat
Sep 20, 2014 Damaskcat rated it it was amazing
A busy doctor decides to join an upmarket dating agency to find a possible life partner. One of the first people she meets is Al - nice looking, considerate, fun to be with and interested in her. So far so good and it seemed as though the author had found someone she could consider sharing her life with. But she wants to take things slowly and when Al wants to move in with her she resists until he presents her with a fait accompli.

That is just the start. The author's family had reservations abo
Sep 05, 2014 Sarah rated it it was amazing
I was really gripped by this book, read it in just over 24 hrs - unusual for me as I am a slow reader. I really felt for the victim and her family although I have to say, as an outsider following the story, Alison did seem a little naive for a 35 year old professional woman as it did seem to me that there were frequent warning signs that all was not well in the relationship and she was being conned / manipulated. I also couldn't understand why, despite all this, she chose to go to Canada with ...more
Rachel McQuoid
Stalking has always fascinated me as a topic. How someone could be that way inclined to become so obsessive over someone that it affects every aspect of their life. This true story is shocking and gut wrenching and it will not cease to amaze you how far one man will go. A must read and a great start to the reading year.
Theresa
Nov 01, 2014 Theresa rated it liked it
An okish book if only to highlight the trauma etc of stalking.I did get very irritated at what I felt was Alisons stupidity and dragging this relationship out.That said I also feel it might be so easy to get trapped in these things and feel helpless as to what to do.
Simone Elizabeth
Nov 18, 2016 Simone Elizabeth rated it liked it
I quite enjoyed this book even more so as it was a true story. really gripping and scary at the same time thinking this poor women went through what she did but I feel the lead up to the actual events dragged on a but and it was slightly repetitive. would reccomend all the same.
Kay Townsend
Oct 02, 2016 Kay Townsend rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
What an absolutely brilliant, brilliant book. I absolutely loved reading it and found it hard to put down at times. How Alison got through this part of her life is so very admirable. Her family and herself now deserve all the happiness they can get after coming through such an ordeal. They are all a great inspiration to others and thank you for sharing the harrowing story.

I would definitely recommend it as a really, really good read.
Centaine Tyler
Dec 24, 2015 Centaine Tyler rated it it was amazing
Alison's story is nothing short of brave. Her will to take back her life from an insane ex is an inspiration to anyone who's been through similar circumstances.

I too was a victim of stalking/harassment, which is why I picked this book up in the first place. While my own situation was far less severe than Alison's, there were many surreal instances where I saw myself in her, and my stalker in Al.

As the writing goes, the pace quickens at an alarming rate with every chapter. It really sets the atmo
Crystal
Sep 29, 2016 Crystal rated it really liked it
A sad and scary glimpse into the world of online dating and where things can go wrong, not necessarily just within the online culture but with people in general. You can really sense her pain and terror. Extremely saddening to see the fear and anguish this woman suffers at the hands of a complete sociopath. Makes you think twice, well, probably three times.
Shirley
Nov 01, 2014 Shirley rated it it was amazing
When I first started reading this book I thought, I can't find anything wrong with this man, he is the perfect man, NO, I soon changed my mind, and it's so worrying as it can easily happen.
Joelle
Mar 12, 2015 Joelle added it
Utterly terrifying. This poor woman. Was a simply written book, but hopefully it showcases controlling and stalker-like behaviour so other people reading this can recognise the signs and get help.
Tammy Reid
Tammy Reid rated it liked it
Jun 11, 2015
Nadine
Nadine rated it it was amazing
Jun 28, 2015
Sarah Margaret
Sarah Margaret rated it it was amazing
May 18, 2015
Zoe Fanconi
Zoe Fanconi rated it it was amazing
Nov 15, 2015
Emma
Emma rated it really liked it
Feb 01, 2015
Krista Jansen
Krista Jansen rated it really liked it
Apr 17, 2015
Tracy Minards
Tracy Minards rated it really liked it
Jun 01, 2015
LittleBitSoph
LittleBitSoph rated it it was ok
Apr 24, 2015
Louise
Louise rated it it was amazing
Feb 16, 2016
Sam
Sam rated it really liked it
Feb 29, 2016
Sirra Njie
Sirra Njie rated it liked it
Jul 26, 2015
Lorraine
Sep 29, 2015 Lorraine rated it liked it
Quite liked the story behind this, if that makes sense, was a good read :)
Anna Crighton-White
Anna Crighton-White rated it really liked it
Aug 05, 2015
Niamh
Niamh rated it liked it
Nov 25, 2014
Trina Inwood
Trina Inwood rated it it was amazing
Oct 30, 2014
Megan
Megan rated it it was ok
Aug 03, 2015
Stacey
Stacey rated it really liked it
Sep 25, 2016