Start by marking “Java in a Nutshell” as Want to Read:
Java in a Nutshell

Java in a Nutshell

With more than 700,000 copies sold to date, "Java in a Nutshell" from O'Reilly is clearly the favorite resource amongst the legion of developers and programmers using Java technology. And now, with the release of the 5.0 version of Java, O'Reilly has given the book that defined the "in a Nutshell" category another impressive tune-up.

In this latest revision, readers will fi
Paperback, Fifth Edition, 1224 pages
Published March 25th 2005 by O'Reilly Media (first published March 1996)

To ask other readers questions about Java in a Nutshell, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Java in a Nutshell

Rob
Apr 17, 2011 Rob rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I know what you're thinking... "Why did you read the 4th edition in 2010? It only covers up to Java 1.4 - and it was published 8 years ago." My answer? "It was what my library had. And it covered what I needed to learn."

I suppose I should have known better, considering the O'Reilly "Nutshell" format. A couple hundred pages of "nutshell" overview material to digest some high-level concepts -- but you're wading through generic code samples. Then several hundred more pages of what is basically an i
Ahmed
Dec 27, 2015 Ahmed rated it really liked it
Thoughts starting at the beginning of the book:

I enjoyed this book. It goes into detail about most aspects of the language.

It anticipates questions that arise and clears them up later.

It is very verbose, so I started skipping parts after the first chapter.

It spends too much time on easy parts and glosses over complicated ones in some cases.

Not really "in a nutshell". There's a lot of information that I would call trivia.
Spencer
Apr 25, 2011 Spencer rated it liked it
Shelves: technical
The inclusion of the reference in the final section is idiotic. That reference is more easily found online and can be kept up to date easily.

I can find no problems with the rest. It does exactly what a nutshell book should do.
Knute Snortum
A good mid-level overview of the Java language. I haven't read the summaries on the core libraries yet, but that would be the only reason to read the reference area. The rest you can get, more updated, off the web.
Jack Repenning
Like all the O'Reilly Nutshell books, this is clear, helpful, and human. It's not a take-you-by-the-hand tutorial, but it's tutorial enough if you've already mastered a language or two, and it'll be well worth keeping on your shelf after you're trained and effective.
Jacob
Apr 17, 2011 Jacob rated it really liked it
The first third of the book is a pleasantly terse primer on the language and some of the more common platform features, including a section on the features that were new to Java 5. The rest is an API reference which mainly serves to keep the book heavy and expensive.
Anton Antonov
Nov 25, 2015 Anton Antonov rated it it was amazing
Shelves: technical
A must-read to keep up with the ever growing JDK. The latest (6th) edition addresses Java 7 and 8.
I enjoyed learning more about lambda expressions, NIO, Async I/O and Meta-programming (Classloading and Reflection).
Qubitng
Having a background in C and C++, I foolishly tried to learn Java with this book. It is pretty much unusable as a Java text. And the reference in the back is unnecessary even back then because the javadoc was available online.
Nick Black
It's hard to meaningfully evaluate a book about Java 1.1 in 2008. This book was certainly at my side throughout CS 1502 (Introduction to Programming), and I imagine newer editions are similarly strong. Then again, there's really no need for this book, given the great Sun documentation.
Yuki kojima
Apr 17, 2011 Yuki kojima rated it liked it
Recommends it for: learn more java
this was a text to my first java class, I don't think it's the best book for beginners... it also was not my style of book... but helpful.
Tom
Sep 24, 2013 Tom rated it liked it
Shelves: half-read, java
Good reference but I don't use it so much because most of the time it is more convenient to use the Java API reference on the net.
Fatma Hassan
Mar 07, 2012 Fatma Hassan rated it it was amazing
i learnt java from this book , fifth edition..covers main aspects cleverly , i strongly recommend it for beginners
Nivas
Apr 17, 2011 Nivas rated it really liked it
Shelves: computer-science
Good book for someone looking for details on Java programming methods. Used as an additional textbook.
Guy Ferguson
Feb 25, 2016 Guy Ferguson marked it as to-read
Purchased this before I decided to do CSSE2002 next year. At the time I thought I'd be doing it this semester, and as that subject is all Java, I though that a $2 investment was worthwhile.
Alistair Warner
Dec 27, 2012 Alistair Warner rated it it was amazing
Shelves: computing-texts
Just one of those standard references that I can't really do without. I find myself comning back to it time and time again.
Diogo
Feb 07, 2016 Diogo rated it liked it
A brief & not in depth overview of Java. Not bad for working with Java without understanding the language.
Leonardo
Leonardo rated it it was amazing
May 26, 2016
Trà Đá
Trà Đá rated it it was amazing
Mar 26, 2015
Chloe
Chloe rated it it was amazing
Mar 22, 2013
Keith
Keith rated it really liked it
May 07, 2010
O H
O H rated it it was amazing
Oct 07, 2011
Besaleel
Besaleel rated it really liked it
Mar 24, 2012
Sneha
Sneha rated it really liked it
Sep 25, 2015
Parmpreet
Parmpreet rated it liked it
Feb 28, 2016
Rédà Bàrhàl
Rédà Bàrhàl rated it it was amazing
Jun 26, 2014
Mike Stack
Mike Stack rated it it was ok
Aug 06, 2015
Hayden
Hayden rated it liked it
Jun 13, 2016
Murali
Murali rated it it was amazing
Dec 19, 2012
  • Learning Perl
  • HTML & XHTML: The Definitive Guide
  • Web Design in a Nutshell: A Desktop Quick Reference
  • Advanced Perl Programming
  • UNIX in a Nutshell: System V Edition: A Desktop Quick Reference for System V Release 4 and Solaris 2.0
  • Essential System Administration
  • C: A Reference Manual
  • Learning Java
  • Python in a Nutshell

Goodreads is hiring!

If you like books and love to build cool products, we may be looking for you.
Learn more »