Start by marking “Riding the Mainspring: A Collection of Steampunk Short Stories” as Want to Read:
Riding the Mainspring: A Collection of Steampunk Short Stories

Riding the Mainspring: A Collection of Steampunk Short Stories

A steam-powered cowboy with a taste for death.
A daring art heist in a moving city.
A zeppelin flight through the smoke-filled skies of a Europe torn apart by volcanoes.

This collection brings together nine stories of mechanical endeavour and daring adventure from worlds where pistons and clockwork are king. Each short story explores a different steampunk possibility, from th
ebook
Published August 25th 2014 by Smashwords Edition (first published August 12th 2014)

To ask other readers questions about Riding the Mainspring, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Riding the Mainspring

Dylan Hearn
Sep 01, 2014 Dylan Hearn rated it really liked it
Riding the Mainspring is an interesting collection of steampunk short stories. In each case, the author has taken a period of history or literary genre and re-imagined it infused with steam- or clockwork-based technologies instead of electricity. Each is a little intellectual exercise of "what if...?'. What if a the best gunslinger was a steam-driven robot? What if Industrial Revolution period Europe was destroyed by volcanoes?

There are 10 stories in all, a couple involving the same characters b
JT
Dec 22, 2015 JT rated it it was amazing
I've never read steampunk literature before, so I was hesitant to take this on......but this collection of stories turned out to be a must read....I couldn't put it down! The author writes beautifully. I found his ability to convey a situation amazing: without getting bogged down in descriptive writing, with a few chosen words and phrases, he's able to paint a picture for you immediately. In the areas that require anxiety and horror, you can feel the tingles up your spine. The plotlines are ...more
William Tracy
Oct 12, 2014 William Tracy rated it really liked it
This is a short, but very cool collection of steampunk stories. Especially nice is several of the stories follow each other, or at least deal with the same characters. The stories range from weird western, to moving cities, to post-apocalyptic, to gentlemen adventurers (possibly my favorite).
The only downside I see is several of the stories end quickly, leaving me wanting more from that character. Hope to see a new set of stories in the future!
Steve
Feb 20, 2016 Steve rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Wonderful stories...

I have only been into steampunk for a year or so and I am so glad that I downloaded this book -- it is full of very well written and incredibly imaginative writing. All of the stories are first class. Highly recommend this book.
Amanda Headlee
Feb 02, 2015 Amanda Headlee rated it it was amazing
Shelves: anthology
Knighton takes his readers on an amazing journey through his Riding the Mainstream collection. His prose is poetic and descriptive. I was captivated by every sentence.
Julia
Julia rated it it was amazing
Feb 06, 2016
Audrey Gorsuch
Audrey Gorsuch rated it it was amazing
Sep 04, 2015
Tj
Tj rated it it was amazing
Jul 06, 2015
Jane
Jane rated it it was amazing
Apr 06, 2015
Russell Phillips
Russell Phillips rated it really liked it
Sep 01, 2014
Joanna
Nov 16, 2014 Joanna rated it really liked it
I wasn't crazy about the two Dirk Dynamo stories, but I enjoyed everything else.
Victoria Randall
Victoria Randall rated it it was amazing
Oct 01, 2014
Cheti
Cheti marked it as to-read
May 08, 2015
John Neveu
John Neveu marked it as to-read
Sep 03, 2015
Kirsten
Kirsten marked it as to-read
Sep 27, 2015
Rita
Rita marked it as to-read
Feb 13, 2016
Daniel Griffin
Daniel Griffin marked it as to-read
Feb 01, 2016
Steve
Steve marked it as to-read
Feb 04, 2016
Tarn Sita
Tarn Sita marked it as to-read
Feb 25, 2016
Sarah marked it as to-read
Feb 29, 2016
Clare O'Beara
Clare O'Beara marked it as to-read
Jun 03, 2016
G33z3r
G33z3r is currently reading it
Jun 19, 2016
Randy
Randy added it
Jun 20, 2016
Elizabeth Rasco
Elizabeth Rasco marked it as to-read
Nov 27, 2016
I write short stories, usually in the fantasy, steampunk and science fiction genres. I’ve had over forty pieces published, ranging from the story of a sorrowful robot to a steampunk adventure in the sewers beneath Venice.

When not writing fiction I’ve worked as a teacher, academic, data analyst, project manager and, in my darkest hour, a call centre employee. I’ve studied medieval history, manageme
More about Andrew Knighton...