Start by marking “Learning XML” as Want to Read:
Learning XML

Learning XML

3.53  ·  Rating Details  ·  127 Ratings  ·  14 Reviews
The Barnes & Noble Review
XML has grown into such a diverse set of technologies that it s almost impossible for newcomers to get their hands around it. Fortunately, there s a solution: Erik T. Ray s Learning XML, Second Edition.

This book presents an outstanding birds-eye view of the XML landscape. It s definitely not a programming book (though it does introduce some ke

Paperback, Second Edition, 400 pages
Published October 2nd 2003 by O'Reilly Media (first published January 1st 2001)

To ask other readers questions about Learning XML, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Learning XML

Don Massenzio
Jan 30, 2015 Don Massenzio rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A great beginner's book. I was brand new to XML and this book helped me to systematically learn it and put it into practice.
Dragon
Aug 05, 2014 Dragon rated it really liked it
A book that explains XML in a way that actually makes sense.
Nick Black
Rather incomplete and example- rather than axiom-based, this book did little but confuse me and send me lurching back to the web. I believe I acquired it via trading a six-pack of Newcastle to David Maynor many years ago, as I'd never have bought a computer book so clearly non-mathematical in its leanings. Furthermore, the author is Eric T. Ray, which is a bit too close -- a single-step translation and a contiguous deletion of degree 4, as we say in the protein-sequencing racket -- to venerable ...more
Julia
Aug 29, 2007 Julia rated it really liked it
Shelves: web_development
I recently dove into a web development project using XML for the first time and gleaned a lot from various tutorials on the web and other Googling. This book was what brought all that together in my brain and helped me solidify my understanding of XML, especially the nuances of XPath. I haven't read it all the way through but it serves as an excellent reference for me as I learn and experience more about XML technology.
Laurel
Aug 02, 2009 Laurel rated it liked it
It was a pretty good introduction to XML and transformations, but some of the explanations were backwards (i.e. starting with how to do something rather than what it describes). Some of his information went too in-depth and a bit off-topic (e.g. spending too many pages describing css). Otherwise, it really helped me better understand certain issues concerning XML creation.
Jennifer Short
May 11, 2013 Jennifer Short rated it liked it
Seemed like more of a reference book than a beginner book. Many of the examples made assumptions about your level of understanding with other programming languages. Some of the information was good, but I found myself using another beginning book and the web more often.
Vladimir
Jun 25, 2011 Vladimir rated it liked it
Good book describing XML from the beginning, its capabilities and limitations, overviewing basic XML-applications and technologies like XPath, XSLT etc. and different XML-processing tools to use in programs.
Scott Duede
Unfortunately, this is considerably out of date, so the part about XSL will need to be supplemented. I'm tired of reading about document formatting right now, though, so that will have to wait.
Brendon
Dec 11, 2008 Brendon rated it liked it
Good for a history and basic specifications, but a lot of the information is out of date. Worth reading the first 3 chapters.
Darcy
Dec 03, 2008 Darcy rated it liked it
Good introduction to XML and XML related technologies like DTDs, XML Schema, XSLT and XPath.
Odile
Sep 23, 2009 Odile added it
Reviewing skills from Library School. Shades of Jen Meyer!
TK Keanini
Dec 07, 2007 TK Keanini rated it really liked it
Great introduction as you would expect from O'Reilly
Sasha
Jul 13, 2008 Sasha added it
Recommends it for: people who want to learn about XML
Recommended to Sasha by: Taras Carpiac
Shelves: technical
Want to know what XML is? Here you go.
amy
Apr 09, 2013 amy marked it as might-read
Shelves: fall-2013
I mean... it's about time.
Danielle
Danielle rated it really liked it
May 21, 2016
Faraz Hassani
Faraz Hassani rated it it was amazing
Apr 28, 2016
Theresa Moan
Theresa Moan marked it as to-read
Apr 25, 2016
Mer Ida
Mer Ida marked it as to-read
Mar 20, 2016
Grant
Grant added it
Mar 17, 2016
Uma
Uma marked it as to-read
Mar 16, 2016
Refundme India
Refundme India rated it it was amazing
Mar 05, 2016
Yuliana
Yuliana rated it it was amazing
Mar 03, 2016
Burak Tahtacıoğlu
Burak Tahtacıoğlu marked it as to-read
Feb 25, 2016
Andrew Thorburn
Andrew Thorburn marked it as to-read
Feb 25, 2016
Zelah
Zelah marked it as to-read
Feb 24, 2016
  • Learning the bash Shell
  • Programming Perl
  • The Java Programming Language
  • Computer Graphics Using OpenGL
  • Object-Oriented Software Construction (Book/CD-ROM)
  • PROLOG Programming for Artificial Intelligence
  • Practical C++ Programming
  • Software Craftsmanship: The New Imperative
  • CSS: The Definitive Guide
  • Learning SQL

Goodreads is hiring!

If you like books and love to build cool products, we may be looking for you.
Learn more »