Start by marking “The Vampire Next Door: True Story of the Vampire Rapist and Serial Killer” as Want to Read:
The Vampire Next Door: True Story of the Vampire Rapist and Serial Killer

The Vampire Next Door: True Story of the Vampire Rapist and Serial Killer

John Crutchley seemed to be living the American Dream. Good-looking and blessed with a genius level IQ, he had a prestigious, white-collar job at a prominent government defense contractor, where he held top secret security clearance and handled projects for NASA and the Pentagon. To all outward appearances, he was a hard-working, successful family man with a lavish new ...more
Published October 11th 2014 by RJ Parker Publishing, Inc.

The Silence of the Lambs by Thomas HarrisDarkly Dreaming Dexter by Jeff LindsayRed Dragon by Thomas HarrisAmerican Psycho by Bret Easton EllisThe Girl with the Dragon Tattoo by Stieg Larsson
I Like Serial Killers
351st out of 732 books — 1,154 voters
In Cold Blood by Truman Capote2016 Serial Killers True Crime Anthology by R.J. ParkerTo the Survivors by Robert Uttaro2015 Serial Killers True Crime Anthology by Peter VronskyDevil's Knot by Mara Leveritt
Fave True Crime Books
20th out of 49 books — 3 voters

More lists with this book...

Delta
Sep 01, 2015 Delta rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: readers of true crime
Charles Reimler
Nov 13, 2016 Charles Reimler rated it it was amazing
Evil Strange person Who Drinks Blood Of Victim; High IQ; Computer Genius With Government Security Clearance, And Unassuming Stature Appearance Creates An Unique Oddly True Crime Story! Author Seems Overdo In Length Of Book, But The Research; Details Are Quite A Reality Of A True Story Almost Hits Like A Stephen King Novel Portraying A Character Development!
Never Heard Of This NUT, But A True Vampire Story Stranger Than A Stephen King Fictional Character Quite A Read Into Depths Human Evil!
Ash
Nov 14, 2016 Ash rated it liked it
Attention Holding

JT Hunter's true crime novels are always well written, well researched and attention grabbing. This book is nothing less than that - an account of a little known suspected serial killer, whose crimes remind us how fragile and twisted a life can become.
Apriel
Oct 10, 2016 Apriel rated it liked it
Meh. Interesting story and seemingly well researched but I found the writing a bit lacking. At almost 600 pages I really expected more but, it seemed at times, that the author was trying to fill a page quota and included unrelated current events and rambled on about this or that. Also there were parts that seemed very repetitious and dragged on while others were rushed and underwhelming. I think this book would have benefited greatly from another round or two of editing. All of that being said ...more
Jennifer Ferencz
Sep 29, 2016 Jennifer Ferencz rated it really liked it
Very good true crime novel covering all aspects of the case from the victims, forensic evidence, psychopathy of the suspect, and the trial. The quotes obtained from those involved, including the suspect himself, were very enlightening. The book was much longer than I expected, and parts of it were repetitive with respect to describing the suspect and his motives. Were it edited down in length a little more, I would give it five stars.
Ben Turner
Oct 14, 2014 Ben Turner rated it it was amazing
I have read a few of the True Crimes series now and loved every second of them. It is fascinating to read about these crimes in such an accurate and informative way. I have been shocked by many of the stories in the other books, but this book and its subject is the most appalling crime I think I have read about yet.

The story revolves around a man that actually drinks the blood of his victims. His crimes would often include rape, torture and murder too. He killed all but one of his victims, who s
Sandra Knapp
Feb 25, 2015 Sandra Knapp rated it liked it
Rambling

I found it strange to discover this "true" murder case had occurred during my adult life-time, and until reading this story, I had never heard anything about it before, which is what caught my attention to begin with, and piqued my interest in reading this tale. I've been a reader of mystery and "true" crime novels all of adult life, and had never before heard of John Crutchley before.

The story of Crutchley's life and his crimes was very interesting, and definitely kept my attention. Bu
Bettye McKee
Aug 08, 2015 Bettye McKee rated it really liked it
4.0 out of 5 stars A monster in sheep's clothing, August 8, 2015
By B. Mckee "beemac" (Alma, AR United States)

This review is from: The Vampire Next Door: The True Story of the Vampire Rapist, John Crutchley (Kindle Edition)
J. T. Hunter has written a compelling and well-researched account of John Brennan Crutchley, the Vampire Rapist, a demented serial killer who would have continued to kill without remorse but for a teenage victim, traumatized and weak from blood loss, who managed to escape.

Th
Jlsimon
Apr 27, 2015 Jlsimon rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: audible, true-crime
This is take 2 on writing a review for this book. Take one sounded like a review of the man and not a review of the book. We will hope I can do better.

Hunter does an excellent job discussing the victims, their experiences, their feelings, and when lucky their escapes. He covers the crimes Crutchley is accused of, the trial, and the ravings, letters, and discussions of Crutchley.

He manages to convey without as much judgment as I feel regarding the fact that Crutchley is suspected of having killed
J.J. Slate
Oct 11, 2014 J.J. Slate rated it it was amazing
Lorie
Oct 16, 2014 Lorie rated it it was amazing
This book absolutely grabs you from the first page and doesn’t release your brain even once you’re finished. The author, J.T. Hunter arranges the words with such an artist’s touch that that it reads more like a well written novel. I found The Vampire Next Door: The True Story of the Vampire Rapist especially interesting as it is about a case that I didn’t have prior knowledge of before reading this book. You will finish the final page with the feeling that you want to go and take a shower. You ...more
♥ Marlene♥
Bought this book, well the kindle edition a few days ago. It had raving reviews on amazon.
Probably because of that I was quite disappointed. Not because of the writing because that was good but because of what happened.

(view spoiler)
Kipp Poe
Oct 11, 2014 Kipp Poe rated it it was amazing
Twisted and amazing

This is the way to write a True Crime book the story is very well presented. Filled with so many twist of a very sick individuals.

The writer and publisher takes full advantage of. the technology giving you photos of the subject matter within the story instead of waiting till the end of the book, or like many reprints transferred to ebooks and throw photos in the center of book giving away facts before you even read them.

This book and story is at the top of my list as one of th
Tracy Davis
Jan 31, 2015 Tracy Davis rated it liked it
This had a lot of research

This book seemed very well researched and thorough, although frustrating to read. There is no real conclusion due to what happened during the investigation. That is of course not the fault of the writer, but it felt so long and could at times be very dry. There was some strange mixture of other high level news stories that happened during the years of the investigation and I found that unnecessary but others might not. If you are interested in true crime books, this is
Katherine McCarthy
Dec 07, 2014 Katherine McCarthy rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: True Crime readers
Shelves: true-crime
A very compassionate approach to a true crime story. What affected me most about this book was how much time was spent detailing the lives of the victims and their families, the compassion with which they were portrayed, as well as the relentless efforts of law enforcement to catch this killer. A truly inspirational approach. Superbly researched and well-written, I highly recommend it to any True Crime fan. So glad to have read this and cannot wait for this author's next book!
Oct 13, 2014 Jennifer rated it it was amazing
This true crime novel is extremely well written and has wonderful flow that keeps you turning the pages.
I have read a little about his human monster before but I did not realize the extent of his horror and the pain he caused and for how long until I read this. The author not just gives you the timeline of
John Brennan Crutchley, but also gives you the events that happened in the world while his investigation and trials were going on.
Great read for any true crime fan out there.
JoyAnna
Mar 02, 2015 JoyAnna rated it really liked it
True crime book about one of the most prolific serial killers in recent history. He had everything. A brilliant IQ, a family, a home and a good job but once he started killing he put it all on the line & eventually lost everything. A good read for true crime fans and a look into the mind of someone who thought he was much smarter than other people. Amazing that he got away with it as long as he did.
Christi
Jul 30, 2015 Christi rated it it was amazing
Interesting

This is an interesting book covering the case of John Crutchley, the vampire rapist. I have read about it before but this book is more in depth. The first part was very disturbing and I almost stopped reading there but after Christina escaped it was much better. Some interesting points were raised. Nice coverage!
Cindy Robin
Oct 29, 2014 Cindy Robin rated it it was amazing
WOW! I love this book! I was completely compelled by this absolutely fascinating story.

I wasn't sure I would lime this book but from the beginning I was so caught up in this intriguing story. It's a MUST READ for people who enjoy true crime stories
Barbara Nixon
Jul 04, 2016 Barbara Nixon rated it really liked it
Chilling

I vaguely remember this case when it occurred. I am deeply saddened by the unresolved locations of the victims bodies. Overall, this was a detailed account of pure evil which walked amongst is in plain sight.
Barbara
Feb 19, 2015 Barbara rated it it was amazing
Definitely a page turner

This book was very well written and the subject, while disturbing, was fascinating. The only criticism I have is that the author tended to repeat the same information which unnecessarily lengthened the book.
Amy
Mar 29, 2016 Amy rated it did not like it
Fascinating story but horribly written

I appreciate the author's attempt to contextualize the events of the book, but it felt planted and disjointed, like they were looking for filler.
Theresa
Oct 20, 2014 Theresa rated it it was amazing
Serial killer

An in depth look into the mind of a serial killer.They are so intelligent it is had to catch them and this is one who was never even charged with a murder.He was a true vampire.
Kathryn
Mar 03, 2015 Kathryn rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
WOW....that's all I can really say. This was like a train wreck for me. I picked it up and couldn't put it down. Fact is stranger than fiction.
Sage
Sep 06, 2016 Sage rated it it was amazing
The truth is stranger than fiction

I can't believe this really happened. He really captured this story. I couldn't put it down. Would recommend to anyone
Kimberly Trivette
Jun 16, 2015 Kimberly Trivette rated it really liked it
Creepy

This man was very sick. His insight was caught elaborately. This whole book was elaborate. I would not have believed a word Crutchley ever said.....
Renata Sutton
Jan 14, 2016 Renata Sutton rated it liked it
Shelves: 2016
I thought there was too much filler, too much info that was not important to the story. The cops who handled the case need more training, they are worse than keystone cops.
Theresa Watson
Theresa Watson rated it liked it
Apr 13, 2015
Jeff Creecy
Jeff Creecy rated it really liked it
Nov 09, 2016
Michelle
It was very good but could have been half the length. Lots of duplication.
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 next »
  • Serial Killers Abridged
  • A Need to Kill: The True-Crime Account of John Joubert, Nebraska's Most Notorious Serial Child Killer
  • Luther: The Life and Longing of Luther Vandross
  • Driven To Kill
  • Where Hope Begins: One Family's Journey Out of Tragedy-And the Reporter Who Helped Them Make It
  • "It's Cancer"
  • Unlocked: A Journey from Prison to Proust
  • Digital Ink: Writing Killer Fiction in the E-Book Age
  • Dismembered
  • Wicked Beyond Belief: The Hunt for the Yorkshire Ripper
  • Before Ebola: Dispatches from a Deadly Outbreak (Kindle Single)
  • It's Only Natural: 200 natural cleaning product recipes to have
  • A Baker's Guide to Chocolate: A Collection of Recipes and Useful Information
  • 2014 Serial Killers True Crime Anthology (Annual True Crime Anthology, #1)
  • The Story Template: Conquer Writer's Block Using the Universal Structure of Story
  • More Good Dogs: More Stories About Good Dogs and the People Who Love Them
  • A Short History of the World
  • Kings of Cocaine

“The belief in a supernatural source of evil is not necessary; men alone are quite capable of every wickedness – Joseph Conrad” 0 likes