Start by marking “Armed & Magical (Raine Benares #2)” as Want to Read:
Armed & Magical (Raine Benares #2)

Armed & Magical (Raine Benares #2)

3.98  ·  Rating Details  ·  3,761 Ratings  ·  174 Reviews
My name is Raine Benares. Until last week I was a seeker—a finder of things lost and people missing. Now I’m psychic roommates with the Saghred, an ancient stone with cataclysmic powers. Just me, the stone, and all the souls it’s ingested over the centuries. Crowded doesn’t even begin to describe it. All I want is my life back—which means getting rid of the stone and the p ...more
Mass Market Paperback, 293 pages
Published April 29th 2008 by Ace

To ask other readers questions about Armed & Magical, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Armed & Magical

The Hunger Games by Suzanne CollinsBreaking Dawn by Stephenie MeyerThe Host by Stephenie MeyerThe Graveyard Book by Neil GaimanThe Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society by Mary Ann Shaffer
Best Releases of 2008
44th out of 233 books — 618 voters
The Hobbit by J.R.R. TolkienThe Fellowship of the Ring by J.R.R. TolkienThe Two Towers by J.R.R. TolkienThe Return of the King by J.R.R. TolkienWicked Lovely by Melissa Marr
The Best Books about Elves or Faeries
207th out of 701 books — 961 voters

More lists with this book...

Felicia
May 06, 2008 Felicia rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: urban paranormal fans, questers
Yet again Raine charms and delights me and forces me to stay up until 2am reading and then pouting because I can't pick up the next one immediately.

I love this series, it is everything I love to read, and everything I'd love to write. Virtually continuous from the last book, it follows Raine adventuring anew with yummy romantic triangles and lots of fun fighting.

The author writes with an enthusiasm and a sense of humor that is in no way forced and incredibly infectious. This is a classic advent
Lisa
Feb 11, 2008 Lisa rated it it was amazing  ·  (Review from the author)
I wrote it. ; )
Jep
Dec 13, 2010 Jep rated it it was ok
I used to like Felicia Day; I saw an interview she did, via IM telephony, wearing her WoW wireless headset. I mean, c'mon! Cool! Self-employed and not ashamed of it. Hardworking, makes her own opportunities!

Looked her up on goodreads, which she pimped. She recommended this, under the most bizarre category ever invented — 'vaginal fantasy'. Seriously.

What it is is humdrum romance-with-pointy-ears-and-magic.

Lisa Shearin knows one thing fairly well: pacing. Lisa Shearin sets 4 books in the space of
Angie
Dec 27, 2008 Angie rated it really liked it
Shelves: good-uns
Two Raine Benares books down and I can say three things: first--I am officially a Lisa Shearin fan, second--I liked Armed & Magical just as much as (if not more than) Magic Lost, Trouble Found, and third--it's going to be a long wait for book #3, The Trouble with Demons, to come out the end of April. Lisa has, however, assured me that my wait will not be in vain, as book #3 will have more than enough sizzle to satisfy any Team Tam girl's needs. To be fair, she said the same will be true f ...more
Summer
Mar 14, 2016 Summer rated it it was amazing
I am totally in love with this series. The first book was fantastic and the second completely rocked my socks.
So Raine is on the Isle of Mid hoping that Guardian Mychael can keep her alive long enough to unravel the mysteries of the Saghred. Particularly the part of how you become unbonded to it. In addition to a bevy of evil goblins and greedy elves, she's got missing students to find and Piaras's magical abilities are also attracting some unwanted attention.
Raine is a fantastic heroine. She'
Kaarina
Jul 07, 2014 Kaarina rated it liked it
Shelves: fantasy
I gave the second book a go since a few people have highly recommended this series to me and I thought maybe I didn't like the first book because it was simply that, the first book. Authors improve and so could this series. All it needed was a second chance, right? But nope, still bored with it.
Paradoxical
Hm. Armed & Magical marks the second book in the Raine Benares series. Raine finds herself on the Isle of Mid, which is filled with mages, in what is essentially a gilded cage as she's still linked with the Saghred. The Saghred proves to be a rather noisy stone, as the occupants (the villain in the first book, mainly) make themselves known, as well as the stone itself proving to be a temptation of sorts for Raine, as it wants to be used. Raine gets embroiled in an unexpected investigation an ...more
Sunny
Jul 23, 2013 Sunny rated it really liked it
Shelves: own
4.5 stars. I really enjoyed this one. We are rolling now. Thanks, Nichols!
Beth
Nov 14, 2015 Beth rated it it was amazing
Shelves: re-reading
Amazing. On to book 3!
Yolanda Sfetsos
Jan 01, 2011 Yolanda Sfetsos rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy
I gotta say, Lisa totally sucked me in from the first chapter. Of course, I've read and really enjoyed the first book, so I couldn't wait to see what would happen to Raine this time... especially since we were going to be shown a completely different island.
Wow. It didn't disappoint, that's for sure. I love Raine's voice. It's so casual and witty. She's very stubborn too, even if she knows that a situation might be a little too hard for her to deal with, she's willing to do whatever she can. I h
Tracy
Apr 04, 2011 Tracy rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
~* 3.5 Stars *~
When It Raines It Pours

Raine Benares is on the Isle of Mid with hope that the powerful mages there will be able to free her from the Saghred's insidious influence. Since arriving she's been kept under constant surveillance and protection, Paladin Mychael's Guardians keeping her in their sights and within reach. When an assassination attempt forces her hand and displays her magical potential to allies and enemies alike, Raine becomes a political pawn and an even bigger target. Then
Mike (the Paladin)
I list this on my Urban Fantasy shelf. I find (that in my opinion...repeat that's my opinion) they have what I'd call an Urban Fantasy feel. I'll say more later but I wanted to open with a nod to those who are emphatic about this being "fantasy" but not "UF". I list it as both.

So, what to say...I'm glad I got to this book. I've had a run of books that I couldn't rate above a low 3 stars and some I had to (in good conscience) rate a 1 star read. This one is the proverbial 4.5 and only misses a 5
Blodeuedd Finland
Jan 01, 2015 Blodeuedd Finland rated it liked it
Shelves: fantasy
This is a fun series, and I would call it UF in a fantasy land. Cos it's so UF! Just you know, set in a fantasy world with elves, goblins and humans and magic.

Raine is a seeker, she has some magic but not a lot. But in the last book she became the host of this magical stone. And trust me, that is NOT a good thing. The stone is not a nice stone, and if Raine can't get rid of it then she will probably die.

But before that! An adventure on the island of mages. Mages are disappearing and she is the r
Literary Ames {Against GR Censorship}
Good story, great sexual tension and some ass-kicking action.

The highlight for me is the sexual tension between Raine and Mychael. They've only known each other for about two weeks by the end of this book but they've got quite a spark. Raine's known Tam for two years though so I guess he has an advantage. I class Tam as a former bad guy and Mychael is a good guy willing to break the rules for the greater good. I like them both so I can't choose which one I want to end up with Raine, can't she ha
jammastere
May 05, 2016 jammastere rated it really liked it
This is book two with Raine Benares of a very enjoyable fantasy series.

I usually do not read fantasy but this series has be totally hooked. Raine lives in a world of goblins, elves, humans and magic. She has found herself linked to an ancient soul sucking rock. This has made her the most popular person in the Seven Kingdoms. Outlaws, dark mages, and governments want her and the power she now potentially possesses.

Raine is in the protective custody of the Conclave on the Isle of Mid. They are ne
Gemstreet Reviews
Jul 29, 2014 Gemstreet Reviews rated it really liked it
Caution: Do not read this review if you haven’t read the first novel in the series. Review full of spoilers from Book 1.

I picked up this book immediately after I finished the first one in the series. I liked it even more.

Previously, Raine had decided to accompany Mychael (the hot-hot dude in authority) and her (not by blood but equally dear) younger brother Piaras to the Isle of Mid where the Conclave resides. It could not be avoided because Raine is now connected to the soul-sucking evil rock S
Lea Bourg'
Dec 27, 2014 Lea Bourg' rated it it was amazing
4.5
A book as good as the previous one =)
Between the mysterious disappearance of several singspellers students and the sudden attention aroused by her talented cousin, Raine didn't really have time to hang around and if she would like to get rid of the damn stone that is supposed to eventually make her crazy, it seems that, once again, Lady Luck is really not on her side.
Love it =) Still a great plot, twists and humor but also a little more romance than in the previous (how not to fall in love wi
Chris
Jun 01, 2013 Chris rated it it was ok
Shelves: e-book
After reading the first Raine Benares story, I thought I'd found a fun magic series. Sadly no. Some of the humor survives into the sequels, but generally they are unimpressive and unentertaining. Shearin apparently has no problem with lifting whole paragraphs from previous books every time she has a character or idea to introduce. Is it really that hard to rephrase a description? The repetition is wearing, and the issues/conflicts lose their oomph quickly.
CJ -Doctor can you help me, 'cause somethin' don't feel right
So Raine has a problem. She's still sort of attached to the semi-sentient rock of evil that the Goblins want, the Elves want to control her and the Paladin wants to protect her.

Oh yeah, Raine is also part of the world's most notorious pirate family. So that makes her suspicious.

To make matters worse, the previous owner is out to get the Saghred and kill a bunch of innocent people in order to feed it. As a "guest" of the Isle of Mid, she's exactly where she should be. Unfortunately.

Tam, a friend
Aurian Booklover
Jan 31, 2014 Aurian Booklover rated it it was amazing
This book continues right after the end of book 1. Raine Benares, her cousin Phaelan and their young friend and powerful spellsinger Piaras have come to the Isle of Mid under escort of Mychael Eiliesor, the Paladin and Commander of the Guardians of the Conclave of Sorcerers. Raine needs help to get rid of her connection to the Saghred, and there are no more powerful magicians than in Mid, where the University is. Piaras hopes to study under Maestro Ronan Cayle, who is the best spellsinger-teache ...more
Bob
Jun 22, 2011 Bob rated it liked it
Perhaps not as good as the first in the series (Magic Lost, Trouble Found), but worth a try. I dropped it one star for frustration. Drives me crazy when the heroine has all these powers, and can't seem to do anything, while the evil fellows never fail. If you can hold a ceiling up, why not squeeze his head like a grape? Parts were excellent, parts were dragging. I would still recommend it as a pretty fun book.
Mara
Dec 08, 2013 Mara rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
3 1\2

It's fun, it's light, there are mystery and mayhem, and some sexual tension to wrap it all up nicely. What can I ask more for a sleepy midwinter Sunday afternoon?

Great world-building without much deep characterization make a great romp into adventure. (Do not misunderstand me, characters aren't flat or one-dimensional. Simply, this is an adventure, so it does not dwell long on anything else.)
Claire
Mar 29, 2016 Claire rated it liked it
Shelves: read-2016
This felt more predictable than the previous book- I could see the big plot twist coming a mile off (view spoiler) ...more
Alex Jones
Dec 23, 2015 Alex Jones rated it really liked it
I picked this up as the free option in a 'buy two get one free' deal as had I read the first book a long time ago and reasonably enjoyed it. From what I remember of the first book, this was better and has persuaded me to try and pick up the rest. The writing was snappy and full of wit and the effortless humour was the element of fun for this book. It picks right from the first one, but even for one who read it as long ago as me was easy enough to follow. The plot isn't lengthy, but features the ...more
This was OK. More of Raine being the center of the universe, and all good guys being good guys and bad guys being bad guys. I guess I like to be challenged a little more by books these days...
Caitlen
Dec 24, 2015 Caitlen rated it did not like it
Shelves: dnf
Just way too boring. It had a lot of great scenes, a lot of potential, but in the end, there was way too much history and politics and it failed to keep my attention.
Mar 09, 2012 Sarah rated it it was ok
This book was just ok for me, although the plot kept moving right along.. I do not feel inclined to read any more of her books though.
Dorri
Dec 26, 2013 Dorri rated it liked it
Shelves: fantasy-misc
Armed & Magical is the second book in Lisa Shearin's Raine Benares series. Very little time has passed since the events of Magic Lost, Trouble Found, Raine is now a "guest" of Mychael, a Paladin for the Conclave Guardians, on the Isle of Mid, home to the prestigious sorcery school and the Conclave of Sorcerers. Along for the ride, mainly because he insisted, is Raine's cousin, Phealan, a renowned pirate or as he prefers a seafaring businessman.

The reason Raine is a guest of the Conclave is
Miryam
Jul 05, 2009 Miryam rated it it was ok
The first one was better. This one was way too predictable; I quite halfway through.
Barbara
Jan 02, 2015 Barbara rated it it was amazing
This was another fast moving adventure with Raine Benares, a seeker who finds things and people, and who is part of a notorious family of thieves. Now she’s linked to the Saghred, an ancient and powerful stone which allows the person who controls it unimaginable power. All she wants to do is get rid of her link to the stone so she can get her life back, but in the meantime, she’s on the Isle of Mid under the watchful protection of the Conclave and Paladin Mychael Eiliesor, leader of the Guardian ...more
  • The Hero Strikes Back (Hero, #2)
  • Cast in Chaos (Chronicles of Elantra, #6)
  • Princess at Sea (Princess, #2)
  • Hallowed Circle (Persephone Alcmedi, #2)
  • Wolfsbane (Sianim, #4 / Aralorn, #2)
  • Fate's Edge (The Edge, #3)
  • Vögelein: Clockwork Faerie (Vögelein, #1)
  • One Salt Sea (October Daye, #5)
  • Seraphs (Rogue Mage, #2)
  • Fortune and Fate (Twelve Houses, #5)
Contrary to popular belief, most authors do have day jobs just like everyone else. Lisa’s happily freelancing for an advertising agency as an editor and proofreader. In her previous corporate life, she’s been a magazine editor, advertising copywriter, and writer of corporate marketing materials of every description.

Lisa is the national bestselling author of The Raine Benares novels, a series of si
More about Lisa Shearin...

Raine Benares (7 books)
  • Magic Lost, Trouble Found (Raine Benares #1)
  • The Trouble with Demons (Raine Benares #3)
  • Bewitched & Betrayed (Raine Benares #4)
  • Con & Conjure (Raine Benares #5)
  • All Spell Breaks Loose (Raine Benares, #6)
  • Wedding Bells, Magic Spells (Raine Benares, #7)

“Whoever said ignorance is bliss must have died a horrible death with a really surprised look on his face.” 127 likes
“Most girls get flowers or candy. I get a declaration of martial law.” 32 likes