Start by marking “Metal Swarm (The Saga of Seven Suns, #6)” as Want to Read:
Metal Swarm (The Saga of Seven Suns, #6)

Metal Swarm (The Saga of Seven Suns #6)

3.9 of 5 stars 3.90  ·  rating details  ·  2,223 ratings  ·  68 reviews
For years, the alien Klikiss robots have pretended to be humanity's friends, but their seeming "help" allowed them to plant an insidious Trojan Horse throughout the Earth Defense Forces. Now, in the aftermath of a devastating war, swarms of ancient robots built by the Klikiss continue their depredations on helpless worlds with stolen and heavily armed Earth battleships.

Amo
Mass Market Paperback, 672 pages
Published June 1st 2008 by Orbit (first published 2007)

To ask other readers questions about Metal Swarm, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Metal Swarm

Dave Johnson
man, this really disappointed me. with such a great previous book, i really thought this was going to be amazing. it actually turned out to be my worst fears. anderson finally succumbed to corny characters, predictable plots, and tired conversations. too bad. i guess i'll still read the next one. i guess i have to since it'll be the last in the series. maybe this was a fluke.
D.w.
Only one more book to go.

Often during the reviews of this series I cite how timeline is a terrible distraction. The Pregnancy that has gone on forever is now finally over. How a second problem that the author thinks is a triumph is the short vignettes of everyone's story. That still plagues us.

How as a political treatise we have a meglomaniac ruling earth without a checks and balance system. Still the Chairman gets away with terrible horrors and no one stops him.

A new item has come to the surfac
John D'alessio
The plot lines in this series were very interesting, and it was just enough to keep me reading it through to the end, but I found the writing repetitive, than tiresome and finally flat out boring.

Anderson writes each chapter as if you may have forgotten the setting laid down previously...I get it that the roamers are inventive, I get it that Ildarians can feel each other through some sort of psychic link, and I get it that the Chairman is distrustful of others...you don't need to continually be
Allan
It had been about four years since I put down Of Fire and Night so, on picking up Metal Swarm, I find not much has changed but the story rages on. When one enemy falls another arises only this time it's two of them - the Faeros and the long lost Klikiss. The Faeros are being directed by ex-Ildiran nut-job Rusa'h and basically burning everything in sight while the Klikiss simply want their old worlds back and woe betide anyone foolish enough to have colonized them.

On top of that lot the human pol
Kim
I had been enjoying this series of seven books but it could have ended at book five. I am now just reading them to complete the set and am finding that I just want it to end already so I can go on to another book...something different.
Don Viecelli
From my Newsletter Number 24:

I finished reading the next book from Kevin J. Anderson, Metal Swarm, the sixth book in The Saga of Seven Suns series of seven books. It is amazing to me how the author continues to build out the storyline and characters after six books.

Metal Swarm begins with the bettlelike Klikiss returning to reclaim their worlds from anyone who lives there. Everyone on the Klikiss planets is helpless against them and many will die trying to escape. The Klikiss robots are losing
Heather Koehler
It was fairly clear for a few books that the Klikiss were not extinct, and I was eagerly waiting for the moment when they would reappear. I had an image of the Klikiss in mind which was totally destroyed in the first few pages of their appearance. By this point, I shouldn’t be surprised that Anderson created something completely unexpected.

Another expected—and yet surprisingly different—enemy is the faeros. I was fairly certain they would switch sides eventually. Their blending with Rusa’h was
Sebastien
Mar 15, 2012 Sebastien rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Fan de la série seven suns
Shelves: science-fiction
Pour faire suite au livre précédent, comme on a eu droit à un final très surprenant, on est maintenant rendu au point où il faut relance la finale des retombé de ce conflit. Le début de ce livre est un peu lent, mais c'est a comprendre car il y a des points à introduire.

J'ai eu un peu peur quand j'ai commencer ce livre car je me demandais bien comment l'auteur pouvait continuer le reste de son histoire sur plus de 1000 pages quand le principale de l'histoire a été traité dans le dernier livre. H
Stephanie
Précis The hydrogues were defeated in the last volume and now both the Hansa and the Ildirans are picking up the pieces. King Peter is strengthening his newly founded Confederation on Theroc and Basil Wenceslas, chairman of the Hansa is slowly losing his grip as he tries to discredit the Confederation and hang on to the colonies.
The new Ildiran Mage-Imperator Jora'h is taking a new approach to his position much to the dismay of many Ildirans, which eventually puts him in harm's way. Adding to h
Paul
This book, part 6 in the series, takes place in the far future, after a brutal galactic war. Klikiss robots pretended to be humanity’s friend, building soldier compies (battle computers) for the Earth Defense Forces in their war against the hydrogues. The compies were all programmed to turn against their human hosts at a particular moment, killing thousands and stealing many Earth battleships. Sirix, the leader of the robots, uses these Earth battleships to attack undefended Earth colonies.

The l
Danny
This one was slow at the start, but built up steam as it progressed to the end. Anderson leads you to believe that the war in the Spiral Arm is over, but as often happens in reality things just keep getting worse! With the help of the wentals, and verdani the humans and the strange yet compelling allies of the humans, the Illdrans, might yet survive the continuing war.
The Kilkiss(an ancient and very alien race believed to be extinct) are back, and the irrationality of the Hansa Chairman lead t
Paul
For this one I started in book six or seven of a giantic epic. Fortunately there was a rather large recap of the last five books at the beginning so I wasn't lost. Andersons universe is peppered with hundreds of subplots and characters. Basically we got a number of groups of human confederations fighting against black robots (created by a race of bugs). Those bugs have resurfaced to destroy the robots and use the humans as of new DNA so they can fight against each other. There are also subwars b ...more
Rob Norton
Nov 23, 2013 Rob Norton rated it 1 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Rob by: rnorton137@gmail.com
Shelves: gave-up
Anderson has done a very poor job with the "Saga of Seven Suns" series. He repeats the same parts of a storyline, an individual scene, or character background information as to become pedantic. The only other books I have read of his are his Dune prequel and sequel collaborations with Brian Herbert, which suffered from some of the same problems; however, I had been sucked into the Dune universe by Frank Herbert's originals, so the holes in that series that were filled by these collaborations kep ...more
Michelle
I like these books by Kevin Anderson because each chapter follows a character. They are great for reading in places where you have small snippets of time like the bathroom, the doctors office, the car waiting to pick up kids, on the morning train, etc. The chapters are short 3-4 pages and only follow one character at a time so it's not too confusing. The characters are also richly developed and the plot is always thickening. Just when you think you've figured it out the author throws something e ...more
Brian Kelly
Book 6 of a fairly interesting sci-fi series about life living in very different places from earth.
John Shumway
** Save review for the series:
This was a fun series to read. The semi long winded way of writing reminds me of the Dune prequels and conclusions he helped write. Not that I'm really complaining it’s just a lot to get through.
The story is big but the character list is bigger, and you get plenty of detail. I was able to read the entire series with only 1 or 2 forced distraction books to get a break from the story. Which for me means it’s pretty good if I don't get too sick of it after 7 books.
If
Nor'dzin Pamo
Book 6 of the Saga and I thought it was pretty good. Having been told this was the weakest book of the 7 I was pleasantly surprised. A few of the story lines from earlier books that seemed like irrelevant red herrings came back and proved that there was some point to them. I felt this book was better written than some of the earlier ones with more skillful descriptions. The characters were more filled out and the story moved at a good pace. I am looking forward to seeing how it all gets wrapped ...more
Suzichka
Yes, a lot of reading and many races, characters and interplanetary history in this part of the saga. Once you invest the time to learn all the societies and main characters, you just keep on reading. The characters are well defined, and clearly for the good of others or out for themselves, and so make this an easy read.. A relief in a complicated world to read about shining right and blatant wrong themes. I read this a little while ago, but wanted to remember it so will make this my first post ...more
Vincent Wood
Where book five was fun and exciting, book six was tedious and boring at times, almost as bad as the first book. A lot of plot occurred in book five, but the story did not end there. Several plot threads still need wrapping up plus an almost new thread that was only hinted at in earlier books has blossomed in this book. Still, the final part of the book was good enough to give me hope that the seventh and final book of the series might be a good one.
Eric Venditti
As the previous book this one kept me asking for more. The more I read this serie the more I wish they will make a movie from it and in the same way I am so sure I would be disappointed. Sometime I wish some of the caracters' interactions would be more developed but in this case it might take a couple more books, which I would not complain about. So excited about reading the last book of the serie finally.
Mike
I propose a new drinking game: Anytime anyone says "by the guiding star" in this book/series, you have to take a drink. (You'll be a mess in about 2 chapters.) The basic story in this much-too-long series is good, and I am mostly enjoying it. Unfortunately, some of the details wander across the line to silly, and the writing of some of the dialog is just lazy.
Rhenda Strub
Aug 23, 2008 Rhenda Strub rated it 2 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: People who want to finish the series.
Very disappointing. The previous books in this series had enough good writing in them to keep me interested. But, this is the case of an author who has fallen victim to his own success. He must have fired every competent editor and he's just vomiting every thought in his head. Some of it is really awful.
Mike Dodd
6th book in a 7 book series. I have enjoyed this series. It is a bit predictable at times, other times I am impressed by the creative direction he takes the characters. It's a great book to read before bed, lots of dream material to be found. I have started on the 7th and final book in the series.
Jim
Book 6 of the Saga of the Seven Suns. The story continues, now I have just one book left. I must say I will hate to see this story end.

Will save a larger review when I finish book 7. But, let me just say here and now, this is a classic and definitely worth the time, for science fiction fans.
Brian

I marked read, but trashed is more likely to accurate shortly. I didn't finish it, heck I didn't even get halfway through. I could clearly visualize the characters reading their lines from a TelePrompTer in a monotone on a Monday morning with a bad hangover hoping nobody was watching...
Jason
This is great science fiction - excellent character development, complex story arcs and just pure excitement to read. I'm glad I got into the Saga of Seven Suns series after 5 of them had been published as it would have killed me to have to wait long periods in between publishing each book.
Rory Hart
Really struggled with this book after devouring the preceding 5. Too many threads were wrapped up in book 5 so that 6 feels a little empty for a good part of the book. Looking forward to reading the last book but shall wait till I have caught up on some of the other books in my pile.
Diane
More of the series. I am still liking the characters and the morals of the good ones. It seems there are too many setbacks in good vs. evil, however, and I'm getting tired of evil winning so often. Hopefully the last volume of this series will end with a win for good.
Andy
What a load of old tosh this series is....

And its been dragged out far too long. Only reason for reading these last two are:

1) you've ploughed through all the others
2) it nips along at a pretty pace
3) you don't really want to think for a bit

That's about it...
Fred
This is the 6th in this Sci-Fi series. I managed to read the others in the series over last summer. There's enough interesting plot threads to keep me going, but there is a heavy dose of fantasy in these books that is just not my favorite treatment of space fiction.
  • Ally (Wess'Har Wars, #5)
  • The Neutronium Alchemist (Night's Dawn, #2)
  • The Orphaned Worlds (Humanity's Fire, #2)
  • Coyote Frontier (Coyote Trilogy, #3)
  • Polystom: Two Universes in One Reality
  • The Machine Crusade (Legends of Dune, #2)
  • Expendable (Expendables, #1)
Pseudonyms: Gabriel Mesta, K.J. Anderson

He has written spin-off novels for Star Wars, StarCraft, Titan A.E., and The X-Files, and is the co-author of the Dune prequels. His original works include the Saga of Seven Suns series and the Nebula Award-nominated Assemblers of Infinity. He has also written several comic books including the Dark Horse Star Wars collection Tales of the Jedi written in coll
More about Kevin J. Anderson...
Jedi Search (Star Wars: The Jedi Academy Trilogy, #1) Dark Apprentice (Star Wars: The Jedi Academy Trilogy, #2) Champions of the Force (Star Wars: The Jedi Academy Trilogy, #3) Blood Lite (Hellchaser, #0.5) Darksaber (Star Wars)