Start by marking “Herbie Jones (Herbie Jones, #1)” as Want to Read:
Herbie Jones (Herbie Jones, #1)

Herbie Jones (Herbie Jones #1)

3.49  ·  Rating Details  ·  59 Ratings  ·  15 Reviews
Third grade isn't looking too good for Herbie Jones. Not only is he stuck being in Apples, the lowest reading group in class, but he has to get a birthday present for annoying Annabelle and be good for the entire field trip to the museum! How is Herbie ever going to make it through the year?
Published June 10th 2002 by Puffin Books (first published 1985)

To ask other readers questions about Herbie Jones, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Herbie Jones

Quirria Jackson
Nov 30, 2015 Quirria Jackson rated it it was amazing
Shelves:
aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa ...more
Oscar
I enjoyed this book tremendously as a child (to the point where I'm honestly surprised I didn't wear out my library's audio cassette copy). Reading it now as an adult, I found it to be just as charming and fun as I remembered. It's full of unforgettable lines like - "There was yellow barf all over the carrot dish and yellow barf floating in Margie's water glass!" - which will surely delight any child with a penchant for gross-out humour.

Herbie Jones is an incredibly authentic kid. He's funny, ea
Jnase1
Apr 22, 2013 Jnase1 rated it liked it
Herbie Jones is a third grader miserably stuck in the "Apple" reading group, the lowest reading group in his class. But he and his best friend, Raymond, are determined to make it out of the "Apple" group before the end of the year. And it looks like Herbie might just make it when he scores his first 100 on his spelling test, but he still can't seem to do well on his reading worksheets. Soon, his teacher has him take some assessment tests with a Reaidng Coach who discovers that he is a really goo ...more
Kip Arney
Mar 18, 2011 Kip Arney rated it it was amazing
A story focusing on the life of a third grader was an enjoyable and easy read. Herbie Jones is just your typical kid who gets into his share of mischief. My only minor complaint about the whole story was that there wasn't one big plot line that needed to get solved at the end, just little stories. But then again, when you're 9 years old in the third grade and you've adopted spiders in the corners of the bathroom in your house, how many problems can you have? Author Suzy Kline did a good job of c ...more
Becky Straub
May 13, 2015 Becky Straub rated it liked it
Read this to my 6 & 8 year old kids. They found it quite hilarious. It was a bit dated, however, and I had to either change things on the fly or explain old (1980's) cultural references.
Katie Fitzgerald
Herbie Jones and its sequels (Herbie Jones and the Class Gift, Herbie Jones and the Hamburger Head, and What’s the Matter with Herbie Jones?) are all still in print, and I think their fresh 21st century covers will appeal much more to kids than the original covers. All in all, this first book in the series - which was also Suzy Kline’s first book, period - is a gentle read filled with all the concerns and questions faced by a third grader, and it will appeal in particular to readers (and parents ...more
Shafer
Feb 08, 2016 Shafer rated it really liked it
Shelves:
I like Herbie Jones
Kristine Hansen
Jul 10, 2012 Kristine Hansen rated it liked it
Shelves: humor
I liked Herbie and watching his growing love of reading and figuring things out at school. The adventures he got into with his friend Raymond were funny. An enjoyable read, not particularly fast paced, but a good way to pass the time.
Amina
Mar 11, 2011 Amina rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
what i think about this book is that in this book their a boy named harry
He does not do good in class because in the story herry doesnot listen to his teacher
What i think about this book is that this is a nice book to read
Jill
Jun 05, 2008 Jill rated it liked it
Shelves: kid-lit
I remember loving all the Herbie Jones books in 4th grade. I'd read them again if I had the time, but since I don't, I'll probably hold out and save it to read to nieces/nephews and maybe one day if I'm lucky, my own kids.
Barbara
Nov 11, 2009 Barbara rated it really liked it
Funny, believable, and entertaining. This is early Suzy Kline and I loved it. Third graders come up with wacky solutions to solve their "problems" in the classroom. This would make a great read-aloud for a third grade class.
Vicki
May 09, 2012 Vicki rated it liked it
Shelves: chapter
Tired of being in the lowest reading group, Herbie & his friend raymond take 2 different approaches to making a change.
Ruth Ann
An eight chapter, 96 page book that explores friendship and reading group levels.
Kevin
Jun 17, 2008 Kevin rated it really liked it
Suzy Kline is a great author and this short book has several laugh out loud moments.
A
Jun 17, 2009 A rated it really liked it
Shelves: read-with-kids
my oldest boy laughed and laughed :)
Cws
May 21, 2009 Cws added it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: jear
JEAR3-Kli
Waqas Ahmad
Waqas Ahmad marked it as to-read
Apr 22, 2016
Heba
Heba marked it as to-read
Apr 13, 2016
Kyungeun Kim
Kyungeun Kim marked it as to-read
Mar 16, 2016
Mandah
Mandah added it
Feb 25, 2016
Catherine Chua-Duyongco
Catherine Chua-Duyongco marked it as to-read
Jan 23, 2016
Kristen Smith
Kristen Smith marked it as to-read
Jan 06, 2016
Maureen
Maureen rated it liked it
Jan 01, 2016
Dean
Dean added it
Dec 28, 2015
Sarah marked it as to-read
Dec 07, 2015
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »
Goodreads Librari...: Can I get some help with a series? 10 51 Dec 28, 2011 09:12PM
Suzy Kline, nee Weaver, was an elementary school teacher for 25 years and most of her books are based on the experiences she had while teaching. Suzy and Rufus got married and had two daughters named Jennifer and Emily. Now, more than 24 years after writing her first book, Suzy has traveled all over the United States helping children learn how to enjoy reading and writing.
More about Suzy Kline...

Herbie Jones (1 - 10 of 11 books)
  • What's the Matter With Herbie Jones? (Herbie Jones, #2)
  • Herbie Jones and the Class Gift (Herbie Jones, #3)
  • Herbie Jones and the Monster Ball (Herbie Jones, #4)
  • Herbie Jones and Hamburgerhead (Herbie Jones, #5)
  • Herbie Jones and the Dark Attic (Herbie Jones, #6)
  • Herbie Jones and the Birthday Showdown (Herbie Jones, #7)
  • Herbie Jones Superhero (Herbie Jones, #8)
  • Herbie Jones Moves On (Herbie Jones, #9)
  • Herbie Jones Sails into Second Grade (Herbie Jones, #10)
  • Herbie Jones and the Second Grade Slippers (Herbie Jones, #11)