Start by marking “Chinese Propaganda Posters: From the Collection of Michael Wolf” as Want to Read:
Chinese Propaganda Posters: From the Collection of Michael Wolf

Chinese Propaganda Posters: From the Collection of Michael Wolf

4.24  ·  Rating Details  ·  144 Ratings  ·  22 Reviews
With his smooth, warm, red face which radiated light in all directions, Chairman Mao Zedong was a fixture in Chinese propaganda posters produced between the birth of the People's Republic in 1949 and the early 1980s. These infamous posters were, in turn, central fixtures in Chinese homes, railway stations, schools, journals, magazines, and just about anywhere else where pe ...more
Published September 15th 2003 by Taschen (first published January 1st 2003)

To ask other readers questions about Chinese Propaganda Posters, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Chinese Propaganda Posters

Zöe Yu
Feb 05, 2014 Zöe Yu rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: german, china
Nice book. Some of the posters I even grew up with. Education is significant, if these are starting from an early age, the impact is tremendous.
Ashley
Jul 16, 2013 Ashley rated it liked it
I bought a shrink-wrapped copy of this to help with a paper I'm currently writing for an Art History course. When I opened it up I was pretty excited when I saw all of the essays at the front of the book. Unfortunately, as I examined it a bit closer, I started to realize that there was only a third of the amount of essay material as I first thought- because the essays are all printed in English, French, and German. That being said, I REALLY enjoyed the essays at the front of the book but I was u ...more
Angel
This is a very good collection of Chinese propaganda posters ranging from 1949 to the 1980s, when the propaganda poster art began to decline as China opened itself more to the West. The book is arranged by themes: discipline, children, women, etc. The art itself is excellent. Granted, this was art for propaganda of the Chinese Communist Party (CCP), but it is clear they put a lot of effort and brought in very good artists to create the art. Within that, you can see the clear patterns and expecta ...more
MiLi
Jan 29, 2014 MiLi rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favoritos, historia, arte
En este libro el autor propone ver folletos propagandísticos del Partido Comunista Chino como obras de arte. Cada sección está acompañada con una breve descripción de la época para situarnos en el contexto histórico y cada obra con una reseña de su origen y su objetivo.

La guerra, la paz, la educación de los niños, el ejército, los campesinos, Mao, las mujeres, los jóvenes, la cultura, el trabajo son sólo algunos de los aspectos que están retratados en esta excelente colección que muestra la Chin
Caro M.
Mar 03, 2015 Caro M. rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: cultural-asia, art
This one was my fav.

description
Dave Sippel
Jan 04, 2014 Dave Sippel rated it liked it
This is an interesting if frustrating book. The artwork is beautiful and fascinating to look at but very little detail about it is given. Most of the text is left in the captions, which are divided into English, French and German. An introductory essay is at the beginning of the book, giving a brief history of how propaganda was used in China prior to the 1980s.
Judith
Apr 10, 2011 Judith rated it liked it
This book is a joy to look at...glossy and so big you have to lay on
your bed and slowly turn the pages.

The world inside it is awesome too: Everyone works hard and honestly,
the men are all handsome and wise, and the women are so girlishly
red it's sickening. Good for fantasy land but I prefer the warts....and
honesty.
Arwena_Demonia
Feb 22, 2012 Arwena_Demonia rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: -
Recommended to Arwena_Demonia by: -
A nice travel to past for young people who didn't know Mao's era In China. A good reference among books about Asia to me.
Seth
Jan 21, 2008 Seth rated it it was amazing
Wow, totally amazing collection of propaganda posters from 40+ years of communism. Simply amazing.
Jo O'donnell
Jul 08, 2014 Jo O'donnell rated it really liked it
A fascinating look at Chinese propaganda from the country's founding until the 80s when such posters went out of style. The book could use more context, however, and the introductory essays were a little cursory.
Lm Huffman
Jun 24, 2015 Lm Huffman rated it liked it
The unusual organization of the posters is only explained at the very back of the text; having that in the front would have helped. I also felt the individual posters would have benefited from greater contextualization.
Cassandra
Apr 13, 2014 Cassandra rated it really liked it
Shelves: social-history
This was a fascinating collection of posters, reproduced beautifully, with very interesting introductory essays. I only wish there had been more analysis of the contents -- but it did not set out to be an analysis, so.
Marissa Barbieri
Pretty much everything Taschen does is gold, and they've been amazing in recent years (since their 25th birthday) at putting out big beautiful books on the cheap, like this gem for a mere $14.99 retail. I suppose I shouldn't add it to the "read" shelf since I've only looked at the pictures, but I'm sure I'll pick it up for perusal again soon, if only to try to understand the communist obsession with giant peaches.
Benjamin Britton
"Protect the interest of the youth, woman and children (…), help the youth and women to organize in order to participate on an equal footing in all work useful to the war effort…"

"We Can learn what we did not know. We are not only good at destroying the old works, we are also good at building the new."

Mao

"Gorgeous and sinister in equal measure."
- the Independent, London.
Tom Schulte
Dec 21, 2015 Tom Schulte rated it really liked it
Shelves: sociology, china
this is an important and impressive single collection presented by Taschen. there is little text crowding out the large reproductions in this coffee table book. among the introductory essays is one by a woman that grew up with this propaganda emphasizing the impact of growing up with these illustrations. i am impressed individual artists, print runs and original price are all known.
Rebekah Lewis
The pictures are amazing and of good variety. The little essays that accompany the posters give great insight into Mao's China. A great gem for those interested in this era, communist art or just want something mind blowing to look at

Grab this book if...
* You're interested in Mao's China
* You're into propaganda art
* You like Chinese history
Ellen
May 21, 2008 Ellen rated it liked it
Shelves: history
You can't beat a good propaganda poster. The Russians did it best, but the sheer audacity of the Chinese is magical. While on the whole they are formulaic (rosy cheeked Chinese babies, abundant harvests, kind soldiers) the rare poster that celebrates China's unique history makes it worth a look.
Kenneth "Well" Hung
Jun 02, 2007 Kenneth "Well" Hung rated it really liked it
Shelves: politics, fun
Great coffee table big ass picture books full of cute fat Chinese baby and great Chinese propaganda posters.

Go to p.257 and get freak out...
Jeremy
Dec 17, 2007 Jeremy rated it it was amazing
In truth, I havent really "read" all of it. Great source for reading about and studying Chinese propaganda posters. I love'em.
Faith Santilla
Nov 30, 2007 Faith Santilla rated it liked it
Not exactly a book to read, but the pictures of the rotund babies with big heads and alarmingly rosy cheecks remind me of my son.
Andrew
Nov 28, 2012 Andrew rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: i-own
pretty good reference with some excellent explanatory comments on various posters.
Kaspars
Mar 02, 2012 Kaspars rated it it was ok
Bildbuch - un nekas vairāk!
Aracelis Guillen
Aracelis Guillen marked it as to-read
Jun 15, 2016
Carey Jackson
Carey Jackson marked it as to-read
Jun 11, 2016
Ilona
Ilona marked it as to-read
Jun 06, 2016
Katalin
Katalin marked it as to-read
Jun 01, 2016
Eva Asker
Eva Asker marked it as to-read
May 29, 2016
Ariel Kestenbaum
Ariel Kestenbaum marked it as to-read
Jun 19, 2016
Josephine Wei
Josephine Wei marked it as to-read
May 21, 2016
  • Mao's China and After: A History of the People's Republic
  • Hungry Ghosts: Mao's Secret Famine
  • Jin Ping Mei (the Golden Lotus)
  • Zhou Enlai: The Last Perfect Revolutionary
  • Tombstone: The Great Chinese Famine, 1958-1962
  • Wild Ginger
  • The Three-Inch Golden Lotus: A Novel on Foot Binding
  • Gang of One: Memoirs of a Red Guard
  • Heaven Cracks, Earth Shakes: The Tangshan Earthquake and the Death of Mao's China
  • Confessions: An Innnocent Life in Communist China
  • Village of Stone
  • The Corpse Walker: Real Life Stories, China from the Bottom Up
  • A Daughter of Han: The Autobiography of a Chinese Working Woman
  • The Bitter Sea: Coming of Age in a China Before Mao
  • Hammer & Tickle: A History Of Communism Told Through Communist Jokes
  • Daughter of the River: An Autobiography
  • Mao's Great Famine: The History Of China's Most Devastating Catastrophe, 1958-62
  • China's Son: Growing Up in the Cultural Revolution