Start by marking “The Ring” as Want to Read:
The Ring

The Ring

3.39  ·  Rating Details  ·  245 Ratings  ·  7 Reviews
When Jeff Font returned from the stars he found Earth a strangely changed world.
~ ~~ ~
After a distinguished space career, Jeff had come back to the planet of his birth with vengeance in mind - vengeance against the powerful man who had framed Jeff's father and caused his whole family to be sent into space exile.
~ ~~ ~
But vengeance did not come easily on Earth since the
254 pages
Published 1968 by Ace Books

To ask other readers questions about The Ring, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Ring

John
Mar 27, 2015 John rated it it was ok
Ring and a miss. I don't want to be too harsh in my assessment of this very early work by Piers Anthony and co-author Robert E. Margroff, but not only has it not aged well, it has fundamental problems that have nothing to do with the passage of years. I want to avoid spoilers, so I'll just note two major criticisms. First, the plot depends heavily on the workings of a sort of gyroscopic car, and several sections which depict the operation of these vehicles in extensive detail are nearly impossib ...more
Adam Powers
Feb 26, 2015 Adam Powers rated it really liked it
This was an interesting book. It addressed the topics of punishment, justice, and imagines a future society that uses an implanted finger/toe ring to monitor and punish convicted criminals. The protagonist wants to get revenge on a man that used to do business with his father, and he wants to prove to the world that the man framed his father. The protagonist ends up getting caught by the law and punished for his rash actions, and he ends up being "ringed." The book them shows us what happens to ...more
Al "Tank"
Apr 01, 2015 Al "Tank" rated it liked it

3.0 out of 5 stars An unusual story that doesn't quite make it, October 27, 2010
By Allan Kalar - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Ring (Paperback)
I have mixed feelings about The Ring. My comments refer to the 1968 Ace version.

It's an unusual story showing a great deal of inventiveness by the authors (I won't bore you with the synopsis since other reviewers have done a good job already). The concept of a ring that makes you behave was truly a groundbreaking idea.

But, I just couldn't ge
Sean Randall
Mar 13, 2016 Sean Randall rated it really liked it
A blast of Anthony's typical style, I treasure this because it's one of his earlier standalones I hadn't found before. As is usual there's more than the average sexual inclusion, although this book was very mild in comparison to other works the discourse is still there. If you're a fan and you haven't read it, I think you too will find it a pleasurable nostalgia.
Ben
Jun 06, 2013 Ben rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I read this book a long, long time ago, and recently wanted to refer to it. I remember liking it, and thinking about the how 'good' behavior could magically (er... 'technologically') be assessed objectively. Oh! if that were only possible!

Also interesting now (as a book written so long ago) is the idea of ordinary money being naturally traceable, and 'bearer cash' being extra valuable because it is untraceable - and hence generally only available to the super-rich (or the criminal world - no iro
Philip
Jun 28, 2008 Philip rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I love reading books written in the past, about the future. It's fascinating to see the authors ideas of what we will have in the future, based on what is available in his present.

This book is a very good read. The story moves along very nicely. There was one chapter about halfway through that confused me, until I read further in the book, then everything made sense.

This book was written by Robert Margroff, but Piers Anthony provided a lot of guidance and instruction. You can see some of his ide
Piper Mejia
Jan 06, 2014 Piper Mejia rated it liked it
A little too preachy and dated but I like the premise.
Cameron Currie
Cameron Currie rated it liked it
Jun 28, 2016
unknown
unknown marked it as to-read
Jun 26, 2016
Rhiannon
Rhiannon marked it as to-read
Jun 23, 2016
Greg D'Agostino
Greg D'Agostino rated it really liked it
Jun 18, 2016
Jeremiah Johnson
Jeremiah Johnson rated it really liked it
Jun 21, 2016
Del
Del rated it liked it
Jun 09, 2016
Tonya
Tonya marked it as to-read
May 15, 2016
Kathleen E Bartsch
Kathleen E Bartsch marked it as to-read
May 12, 2016
Charles Wheeler
Charles Wheeler rated it liked it
May 12, 2016
Charles Walker
Charles Walker marked it as to-read
May 04, 2016
Lavender
Lavender marked it as to-read
Apr 22, 2016
Saralee
Saralee rated it it was amazing
Apr 10, 2016
Catherine Wright
Catherine Wright marked it as to-read
Apr 24, 2016
Skull Altery
Skull Altery marked it as to-read
Mar 24, 2016
Michael Neeley
Michael Neeley marked it as to-read
Mar 14, 2016
Richard
Richard rated it it was amazing
Mar 14, 2016
Dread Pirate
Dread Pirate marked it as to-read
Mar 09, 2016
Fragonard
Fragonard rated it liked it
Mar 05, 2016
Chris
Chris rated it liked it
Mar 05, 2016
  • Cat Scratch Fever (Cat Scratch, #1)
  • Symphony of Light (#12)
  • Counter Attack
  • Shiva Descending
  • Gods of the Well of Souls (Watchers at the Well, #3)
  • Design for Great-Day
  • Encyclopedia of Xanth (A Crossroads Adventure in the World of Piers Anthony's Xanth)
  • The Voices of Heaven
  • The War With Earth (New Kashubia, #2)
  • Counter-Measures (Forbidden Borders, #3)
  • Return to Centaur (Xanth Graphic Novel, Vol 1)
  • Mighty Good Road
  • Electronic Gadgets for the Evil Genius
  • Fall of the White Ship Avatar (Alacrity FitzHugh & Hobart Floyt, #3)
  • Meditation Made Easy

Piers is a self-proclaimed environm
More about Piers Anthony...