Dogboy (Brind, #1)

Dogboy (Brind, #1)

3.76 of 5 stars 3.76  ·  rating details  ·  108 ratings  ·  22 reviews
Brind

Discovered as a baby in Sir Edmund's kennels, Brind has grown up with the mastiffs. He plays with them, eats with them, and sleeps in their den. Brind understands dogs better than he understands any human.

Glaive

The largest and most powerful dog in the pack, Glaive is Brind's best friend. He would do anything for the dog boy, even race straight into battle.

Aurélie

Throw...more
Published May 9th 2006 by Greenwillow Books (first published January 1st 2005)

Beau
it is a fairly good book set in the hundred year war. It was enjoyable. my favorite character was the lord who has all the mastiffts who's name I forget.
Katharine Ott
"The dogs were getting closer." Although author Christopher Russell does not litter his middle-grade novel "Dogboy" with dates and such, the occurence of the Battle of Crecy places the action in the mid-1300s. Not a time period that modern-day students have much in common with, but that matters not, as Russell deftly plunks us down in the exciting action in England and France. "It was a war, plain and simple. Adventure, honor, perhaps plunder."

Russell fills this story with brisk energy, as Brind...more
Ladon Stephney
The book Dogboy is about a boy named Brind who likes dogs more than people. In the begining of this book Brind really didnt fit in at school with people that much and he also didnt have alot of friends back in his neiborhood. At the middle of the book his mom bought a kennel for dogs. Brind started spending alot of time with the dogs and soon enough he started sleeping with them and considered himself one of them. At the end of the book people tried to get him back into reality but nothing they...more
Lv2readB
Russell, C. (2006). Dogboy. New York: Greenwillow Books.

Summary:
A young kennel boy (Brind), raised by mastiffs (the leader and his favorite is Glaive) in 1346 at St. Edmund’s English manor, has a magic way with dogs. When his master, St. Edmund, is called to the war with France, Brind accompanies him with Glaive. After a disastrous battle, Brind with the help of Glaive and the independent spirit Aure’lie, have to find their way back home, fighting obstacles and barricades with perseverance and...more
Faith
Brind has grown up in Sir Edmund's kennels with the mastiffs. He understands dogs better than humans. There is a war between England and France. Sir Edmund decides to fight bringing with him forty male mastiffs, Brind, his huntsman Tullo, his nephew Philip and Hattan. At the war Glaive, the alpha mastiff, fights and runs away in pain. Brind goes after him. Without there leader, the rest of the pack is slaughtered.

Reasons why I like this book-

Reason 1- There is action and adventure that kept me...more
Jill
Mar 20, 2014 Jill added it
Did not finish. Just didn't like the lack of love in the families for each other.
Neill Smith
Brind was found in a kennel of dogs when he was a boy. People said that he was more dog than boy – that he thought like a dog. But this wasn’t true – Brind just understood dogs. When Brind’s master leaves England in support of his liege lord to fight the knights in France, Brind is taken along to look after his master’s pack of mastiffs. As the war goes badly for the English Brind and the pack leader are cast out on their own and must make their way home through treachery from friend and foe ali...more
Vicki
This is a quick, exciting read. Definitely a good book for 5th and 6th graders. I enjoyed it so much I wish Christopher Russell would write a more adult version. I love the premise of a boy raised by dogs making it through a medievel war between England and France with his own instinctual sense of purpose and goodness. The orphaned french girl who saves lives and the middle aged knight who doesn't really want to fight end up appreciating the dogboy's good sense.
Savanna
Brind and the Dogs of War is about a boy who was raised with a kennel of dogs ever since he was born. Brind is very dog-like and can even understand dogs but he is not one; that is something that his master seems not to completely realize. This book is about Brind as a war begins and his entire world is flipped upside down.

I like this book because it is fast and interesting. It is definitely a boy book and is meant for middle schoolers.
Laini
Dec 02, 2011 Laini added it
A story about the Battle of Crecy, from the p.o.v. of an English "dog boy" (of a pack of hunting mastiffs brought to war) and a young French girl cast out of her city as a useless extra mouth to feed during time of siege. Though the brutality of medieval warfare is hinted at, and there is plenty of sadness in this book, it's still appropriate for m.g. readers. Full of action; depicts a fascinating time period.
Paige
this book is really unique; from my HUGE shelf of books that i've read, this really stands on its own.
though i loved it's uniqueness, nothing really happened that stood out. there were big events but they weren't really emphasized; it sort of plodded along and then ended.
good story line but not so great execution, lolz
Emma
When the English and the French battled, lots of them died. Many of the people got sick. I learned a lot about that war. I felt sort of sad for Aurelie and her life. It made me thankful that we don't have to live at the same time as this book!
 Soph - Lock&Key
too short, but I still enjoyed it. I have never really read anything like it. It was a completly different style of book to my usual, it was a nice change.
Katie Jane
Unique historical fiction read. It was recommended to me when it first came out, but I didn't get around to it until I realized that book two was already out.
Hoover Public Library Kids and Teens
I've never read anything like it. I love the way the author handled the friendships, not just between the people but between the animals too.
Rachel
Exciting book about a boy who must train his masters dogs and take them into battle. Good feel for the time period from the viewpoint of a servant.
Maddie
a very good book. even though i read it in fifth grade, its just unbelievable how much time and effort went into this book
Jacinta Monteith
A very good book, I liked the style of writing and the plot. It had very lovable characters too. I definetly reccommend it.
Joy
Very good historical novel for the middle grades. Must be a good reader to enjoy it.
Abass
Not that good of a book in my opinion.
Amy
Jan 01, 2008 Amy rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: grades 3-7
Lots of action for boys
James
James is currently reading it
Jul 03, 2014
Kyle
Kyle added it
May 15, 2014
Barbara
Barbara marked it as to-read
May 07, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 next »

He has written a number of his books together with his wife, Christine Russell.
More about Christopher Russell...
Hunted (Brind, #2) Scarper Jack And The Bloodstained Room Smugglers The Warrior Sheep Go West (The Warrior Sheep, #2) The Quest of the Warrior Sheep (The Warrior Sheep, #1)