Start by marking “The Sudoku Puzzle Murders (Puzzle Lady, #9)” as Want to Read:
The Sudoku Puzzle Murders (Puzzle Lady, #9)

The Sudoku Puzzle Murders (Puzzle Lady #9)

3.5 of 5 stars 3.50  ·  rating details  ·  292 ratings  ·  30 reviews

Cora Felton, the Puzzle Lady (who actually couldn’t solve a crossword puzzle to save her life), is surprisingly good at sudoku, so it’s no problem when a Japanese publisher asks her to write a sudoku book. But when two Japanese publishers show up in Bakerhaven to vie for her services, Cora is a little confused. Which one did she actually sign with? Which one has the stun

Published April 15th 2008 by Minotaur Books

To ask other readers questions about The Sudoku Puzzle Murders, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Sudoku Puzzle Murders

An okay book, too confusing with the twists of who was following whom and who had hired whom and who was married to whom. Let alone that the famous Puzzle Lady was not able to do the crosswords that made her famous!
Debbie Heaton
In Hall’s mystery novel, Cora Felton, otherwise known as “The Puzzle Lady”, prefers numbers to just about everything else. But when bodies begin to pile up in her Connecticut hometown, things just don’t add up. There are the strangers from Japan who appear fascinated with her ability, and then her niece’s jealous and very intoxicated ex puts in an appearance as well. Topping off the list is the Sudoku and crossword that tags each dead body found. With no choice in the matter, Cora puts her gift ...more
CoffeeTimeRomance andMore
This quirky mystery was previously published and has been rereleased by Harlequin. The story is fast paced with some mighty outrageous twists and turns that will keep the reader engaged. I highly suggest picking up the other books in the series to get a fuller picture of some of the subplots going on.
Reviewer for Coffee Time Romance & More

Official Review @ Coffee Time Romance & More
Mark Baker
Now the murder victims in Bakerhaven are appearing with Sudoku and Crossword puzzles on them. Can Cora solve the latest case? The book was still fun, but I am getting very tired of the stories involving the main character's personal lives. It's been the same for several books now. Really time to move on.

Read my full review at Carstairs Considers.
lynne naranek
This was a random pick-up from the library, and my oh my did I regret it! I plodded through it only to find out whodunnit, but once I got there I realised it really hadn't been worth it.

Perhaps it was the entire premise of the tale: that elderly Cora Felton (think Miss Marple meets, um, Broom Hilda?) is living a lie as the tiny community of Bakerhaven's "crossword lady" -- it's her daughter who's the crossword puzzle expert and creator, Cora just pretends she creates and solvres them... so a bi
Forced myself to finish as thought it had to get better. Makes me question why I ever try new authors. Hate to put it in my read book as goodreads will now recommend some "like" books to me. Goodread recommendation doesn't seem to pay attention to my rating.
Dawnie got me this book from the library (no surprises there - not sure what I would read without my dealer). Perfect "put me to bed" book for my killer work week. I leave the house at 7am, get home at 10pm to an empty house and fall into bed. I'm half way through the book and only have a vague memory of the plot, however, it is absolutely satisfyingly serving it's purpose.

Finished, if it tells you anything, I forgot to read the last chapter of this book. It was convoluted and pretty boring.
Although Cora Felton, the famous Puzzle Lady, secretly relies upon her niece Sherry for all matters crossword-related, she is actually a sudoku wizard. Thus, when a Japanese publisher asks her to write a sudoku book, she happily agrees. However, it turns out there are a surprising number of Japanese publishers around, not to mention dead P.I.s with crossword and sudoku puzzles at the Tastee Freez. Cora tackles the murders with her usual brassy flair, violating protocol, churning out preposterous ...more
Shannon Porter
Not the best I've read in the series, but still liked it
Jan 28, 2014 PWRL marked it as to-read
Shelves: 2014-new
I'm more a Sudoku person than a murder mystery reader, but this was fun. Because I had a library copy I could not solve the crosswords in the book, which yield clues, but that was not a major impediment to understanding. Brisk pacing, short chapters, and relatively easy to follow plot kept me going. The main character's snappy dialogue may grate on some readers after a while.
Michaela Shea
Jul 15, 2011 Michaela Shea rated it 2 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: no one
Recommended to Michaela by: The Brisbane City Council Library and my mother
It's not the worst book I've read. The fast-paced "witty" dialogue is really disrespectful to the murder victims and feels like something out of "Diagnosis Murder". If only the murderer had thought to shove his samurai sword into Cora in the first chapter.

It's my own fault. Mum goes to the library and brings back a swathe of books and I'm prepared to read all of them.
This is written by Parnell Hall. I have read other of his books but it has been a while. His books have puzzles which have to do with the murders....solving them gives clues. This particular book has a lot of what if description in it. The puzzle lady describes lots of things that could be happening. I thought this was over done but the book was still interesting.
Jul 23, 2012 Earl rated it 2 of 5 stars
Shelves: 2008
The Sudoku Puzzle Murders by Parnell Hall. The 9th book in the Puzzle Lady mysteries proved to be another fun and fast read with familiar likable characters and clever dialogue. When the plot became too convoluted, I just read through it and enjoyed the many twists and turns. Having actual- in this case sudoku- puzzles to solve always added to the fun of the books.
The main character has a sardonic, washed-up charm--which in my opinion carries the book. The plot was twisted in a predictable and non-original fashion in that the murder can be solved by the reader's logic easily. The puzzles in the book are a fun touch, however, because I checked the book out from my public library, I couldn't do them.
Not one of his best mysteries. It was easy to pin the murders on the person, it was just harder to figure out why. Like most of his books the "why" came fast and hard, but this one was a little more confusing and I felt it could have been better explained.
Just a fun murder mystery...this series has been a great distraction and this one had a good ending (the mystery logically worked out). It's similar to watching a tv show...not super intellectual, but fun and entertaining.
This was an easy enough read, but somewhat confusing, and the payoff felt a bit weak as well.
The Sudoku/Crossword aspect of the thing was also pretty unnecessary and gimmicky, I thought.
I generally like this series quite well, but this was not my favorite. The mystery (and it's solution) were a little too convoluted, and I found Sherry / Aaron's squabbling annoying.
4 Sudokus, 3 Crosswords

A very confusing mystery baffles Cora, but being who she is, murders are always her thing. She solves this one with her conniving wit.

Sudokus were fun twist. The whole Japanese love triangle didn't engage me--not sure why. Nice to see Cora on the wagon.
This was between a 2-3; I opted for the 3, as it was enjoyable for a light read. I love Sudoku puzzles, so it was fun for me.
Like all mystery series set in small towns, this one is starting to strain the levels of credulity.
Matt Lehotzky
The plot and storyline were interseting but the dialogue was awful.
I love these books. Thy are kind of cheesy but I can't help myself!
Not much of a mystery nor really any need for the puzzles.
This a funny series. It was a quick read.
Harlequin Books
Miniseries: A Puzzle Lady Mystery
a quick and humourous read
Arial Long
Nov 12, 2012 Arial Long rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: mystery readers
liked it
  • Honestly Dearest, You're Dead
  • Deadly Interest (An Alex St. James Mystery #2)
  • The Insane Train (Hook Runyon #2)
  • Death Walked In (Death on Demand, #18)
  • Two Down (Crossword Mysteries, #2)
  • Death by Sudoku
  • That Day the Rabbi Left Town
  • Baby Doll Games (Sigrid Harald, #5)
  • Maggody in Manhattan (Arly Hanks, #6)

Puzzle Lady (1 - 10 of 16 books)
  • A Clue for the Puzzle Lady (Puzzle Lady, #1)
  • Last Puzzle and Testament (Puzzle Lady, #2)
  • Puzzled to Death (Puzzle Lady, #3)
  • A Puzzle in a Pear Tree (Puzzle Lady, #4)
  • With This Puzzle, I Thee Kill (Puzzle Lady, #5)
  • And a Puzzle to Die On (Puzzle Lady, #6)
  • Stalking the Puzzle Lady (Puzzle Lady, #7)
  • You Have the Right to Remain Puzzled (Puzzle Lady, #8)
  • Dead Man's Puzzle (Puzzle Lady, #10)
  • The Puzzle Lady vs. The Sudoku Lady (Puzzle Lady, #11)
A Clue for the Puzzle Lady (Puzzle Lady, #1) Last Puzzle and Testament (Puzzle Lady, #2) Puzzled to Death (Puzzle Lady, #3) A Puzzle in a Pear Tree (Puzzle Lady, #4) With This Puzzle, I Thee Kill (Puzzle Lady, #5)