Start by marking “Savvy Girl” as Want to Read:
Savvy Girl

Savvy Girl

3.29  ·  Rating Details  ·  70 Ratings  ·  16 Reviews
Seventeen-year-old Chrissy Gibbons has landed her dream job—a summer internship at her favorite magazine, Savvy. Being an intern is hard work, but the job becomes a lot more fun whenChrissy is befriended by a glamorous fashion editor who takes her to all the best parties. As the summer winds down, though, Chrissy realizes that in the whirlwind of parties and boys,she’s bee ...more
Published August 1st 2008 by HMH Books for Young Readers (first published January 1st 2008)

To ask other readers questions about Savvy Girl, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Savvy Girl

Kristi
Oct 28, 2008 Kristi rated it liked it
Savvy was light, fun and fast. This was a feel good novel that was more about discovering yourself than working at a magazine.

With that said, there were a few things that did bother me. Jessica, the fashion editor, takes Chrissy under her wing, because she reminds her of her sister, which was very sweet and endearing. Jessica was also a model and when Chrissy asked her why she quit to become a fashion editor, she tells her this very touching story of how her sister was turning into someone else,
Huda
Jun 16, 2009 Huda rated it did not like it
Well I was looking 4 SAVVY and i think i bought this one by mistake(;
it's not even the same writer :S
Anyway, I didn't like it at all, I think the main charecter is awfully shallow and .. I'm not sure
It's a story of a teenager who works in a Magazine called savvy girl and her relationships, that's all, nothing special!
Elevate Difference
Jan 10, 2009 Elevate Difference rated it it was ok
In Savvy Girl, Lynn Messina surprisingly succeeds in capturing the transformation of a girl into a young adult. The plot is somewhat refreshing. When Chrissy Gibbons, Messina's protagonist, lands a coveted summer internship at Savvy, she intends to become the magazine's first teen columnist. However, Chrissy quickly becomes enraptured in New York City glitz and glamour at the expense of her family and friends. As the story progresses, she becomes bolder in her attempts to impress the magazine's ...more
Jennifer Wardrip
Reviewed by Jaglvr for TeensReadToo.com

What could be more exciting than a summer internship at the coolest magazine? Chrissy Gibbons has landed a prized position as a summer intern at Savvy magazine. However, the summer doesn't turn out to be the one she expected.

Chrissy expects to be writing exciting articles and wowing the editors at Savvy. In reality, she is stuffing envelopes and fielding the letters that Adele should be handling. Adele spends her day planning her wedding and dealing with o
Beth
Nov 08, 2009 Beth rated it really liked it
A summer internship at a women’s magazine introduces Long Island ingénue Chrissy Gibbons to the glamorous world of high fashion at a fast pace. Although the work part isn’t everything she dreamed (no cover articles, just reading endless query letters and working on the health section while the health editor she works frenetically plans her wedding, instead of doing her work), the fashion editor befriends her. Former model Jessica takes Chrissy under her wing, dishing gossip, complimenting her ac ...more
Kristin (Kritters Ramblings)
A YA read that after completing I sit on the fence of whether I really enjoyed it or may be a little disappointed. One thought, I was confused the entire time as to the age of the character and the mishaps that she found herself in. I think her character could have been a hint older and I would have found it more believeable. But on the other side, I loved the storyline - a girl trying to tackle growing up and finding herself in the midst of an adult world, while trying to make the most of the m ...more
Anna
This book can be summed up in one word: It's cute. It's a great beach-read. It's easy to read and once you get into the story, the book flies by.

Jessica relates Chrissy to her younger sister. She says she just wants the best for her younger sister because of her past. Then why would she be taking Chrissy out to parties? Buying her a bunch of drinks and getting her drunk? In trouble with her parents? This is the one thing that I found really... weird about this book. That one thing didn't add up.
Psychogroupie
Sep 06, 2013 Psychogroupie rated it did not like it
I thought I'd never finish the book. Chrissy Gibbons was a character I could not really relate to or feel any pleasant feelings for. She was supposedly an intelligent girl who won a prestigious internship at a magazine but I feel like the book did not make it seem like she was. The book was also peppered with typographical error at the first few chapters. I also feel like the whole unveiling of the story at the last couple of chapters was rushed, everything happened all at once at the end.

There
Vanessa Zarco
May 28, 2015 Vanessa Zarco rated it liked it
3.5*
Yan
Oct 25, 2008 Yan rated it did not like it
Recommends it for: teens
Chrissy Gibbons has an opportunity of a lifetime. Being an intern for Savvy Girl magazine. Not only is she intern for the country's hottest teen magazine, she has a chance to become a columnist.

While it only took me less than a day to finish, I had to put the book down several times. It was very predictable and cliche. Overall it was a book that can found really almost everywhere.
Emily
Jul 03, 2009 Emily rated it it was ok
Shelves: ya
I love YA lit, but this one stepped over the line a bit when the 17 year old protagonist gets drunk and walks barefoot through Grand Central. It also reinforces some worn-out stereotypes of adolescence and New York. Nothing new, and not particularly well done.
Wildchildeditor
Jun 13, 2008 Wildchildeditor rated it liked it
Recommends it for: teenage girls or adults who enjoy HEA young adult material
Recommended to Wildchildeditor by: I picked it up at BEA.
A fast read, this book seemed to be a spin off of Ugly Betty but for teenage girls. While I did enjoy it, the fact it resembled the show so much was a bit of a disappointment. However, I do think girls from 14 and up will enjoy it.
Emily
Aug 17, 2013 Emily rated it really liked it
I liked this book a lot! Even though she kept repeating her mistakes, she really got her game together in the end, and wrote an amazing article about being seventeen and impressionable!!
Valeria
Dec 06, 2015 Valeria rated it liked it
I think we all felt like Chrissy. I adore the ending, it was cute, Graham was cute.
Jocelyn kinloch
if i tell you i might kill you
JaNae
JaNae marked it as to-read
May 29, 2016
Heather
Heather marked it as to-read
Apr 28, 2016
Maialen
Maialen marked it as to-read
Apr 10, 2016
Sabrina Boralli
Sabrina Boralli marked it as to-read
Mar 28, 2016
Dawn
Dawn marked it as to-read
Mar 19, 2016
Courtney Johnson
Courtney Johnson marked it as to-read
Feb 03, 2016
Tina
Tina marked it as to-read
Oct 25, 2015
Chandel
Chandel marked it as to-read
Sep 02, 2015
Lisa
Lisa marked it as to-read
Aug 07, 2015
Anna Tantisuwanpol
Anna Tantisuwanpol rated it liked it
Jul 12, 2015
Emma Abarca
Emma Abarca marked it as to-read
Jun 17, 2015
Princess Jenina
Princess Jenina rated it it was amazing
Apr 09, 2015
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »
Lynn Messina is author of ten novels, including the best-selling Fashionistas, which has been translated into sixteen languages, and a series of Regency romance novels. Her essays have appeared in Self, American Baby and the New York Times Modern Love column, and she’s a regular contributor to the Times Motherlode blog. She lives in New York City with her husband and sons.
More about Lynn Messina...