More Hours in My Day: Proven Ways to Organize Your Home, Your Family, and Yourself

4.04 of 5 stars 4.04  ·  rating details  ·  119 ratings  ·  20 reviews

This update of the bestseller speaks to people who long for a few extra minutes to take a breath, get focused, and get organized. Emilie helps bring order to everything from paperwork to prayer lives.

Published April 1st 2002 by Harvest House Publishers (first published January 28th 1989)

To ask other readers questions about More Hours in My Day, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about More Hours in My Day

Anne Bean
I definitely found some nuggets in here that will really help me in my quest to keep our home in order, but it wasn't super high on content. I would recommend it for a skim and a closer review of your trouble spots.
Melanie
Of all the homemaking/time management/organizational books, this is the one I always go back to. I feel like Emilie Barnes is my wonderful loving personal mentor that I have never met. In heaven someday I will give her a huge hug! I have always struggled with housekeeping and her method of KEEPING it clean by organizing your daily, weekly, quarterly etc... Chores is genius. She makes me feel like I can do it.
Patty
By the time I got around to reading this faith-based look at organizing home life, it no longer appealed to me. Some useful tips but it did not reach me with its Biblical look at the Happy Homemaker.
This book is all about organizing. I just wish there were a few truthful, inspirational messages in there and not just about cleaning, etc.
Annmarie
This book is helpful, but annoying. This system works great if you have no life.
Emily
Love, Love organizing-housekeeping books. This one was exactly like most of the others I've read, but from a Fundamentalist Christian standpoint (something that I don't adhere to presently). Good sound advice about organization, with some ideas that I thought were quite humerous. "If your husband calls and says he has had a hard day and he doesn't want to see your children, make a reservation at his favorite restaurant and feed the kids waffles before you go." YES! Let them eat waffles!
Katherine
May 26, 2007 Katherine rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Mothers/people w/ busy schedules
This book is soooooo helpful. I saw it sitting on the shelf at the grocery store (late at night because my daily chores seemed to be taking over my day). And it was calling to me. So I didn't even puruse it, like I usually do. I just bought it and it is gold to me I'll tell you that. Barnes breaks down the house work, errands, meals, household chores, paying bills, house organization, etc. in such a fantastic way that I jumped right into the disaster that was my apartment and used her tips to de...more
Austin
My MIL gave me a copy of this book (is she hinting something??), and it's had THE BEST IDEAS!! Some of the ideas are not going to work with my kids being so little, but others are immediately ready for practice. My favorite new trick is putting lettuce into a lingerie bag and after washing it, running it through a spin cycle in the washing machine. I tried it and SERIOUSLY. It's a little odd in theory, but it works so well that I'll be using this trick as long as I own a washing machine!
Umm Layth
I really enjoyed this book but it is very preachy to Christian folk. I ignored most of that, though, and continued reading it and really took bits and pieces of her advice, that I found right for me and my family, and I've already seen much change in how I look at my home. I would recommend it to any woman who isn't bothered by the author really aiming the book towards christian women, who aren't bothered by bible verses, etc.
Lisa Mendiaz
I've been fortunate enough to attend several of Emilie Barnes' seminars in the early to mid 90s. I learned so much from those seminars that I put to use on a daily basis. This book is her message in a book. I couldn't put this book down and referred to it often for many different helpful hints about getting through the crazies of everyday life. Highly recommend this and all of her books.
Amy McIlhaney
One of my all time favorite books. I read it years ago, before I was married. I have used the suggestions at various times before marriage, throughout our marriage and with our daughter. I go back to it and see new things each time based on where I am in life. It is a great resource!
Janet
Great homemaking book. So glad I read this.
Sandra
What a wonderful book --worthy of reading. It will help you organize your life and will be keep your reading to the end. Plus I used this book a lot in my leadership class when talking about time management.
LaDonna
Aug 27, 2011 LaDonna rated it 3 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to LaDonna by: Donna Reimer, my aunt.
Not earth shattering, but some good stuff. Slow and steady wins the race. Spend 5 weeks to get your house organized. Make routines to keep it that way. Get the family on board.
Elsa
I didn't even finish it because t wasnt what I thought it would be. It's basically a book that tell you how to clean.
Ama
if you really want to make a home go get this book.everybody needs the tidbits.it is fascinating.
Jo
A bit thin on content, but there were a couple of sections that were very helpful.
Mandy Hoffman
This is one of the best books out there for advice on home organization made simple.
Sarah Felix
Great for new wives trying to get their home under control
Aleksandra Trpkovska
Aleksandra Trpkovska marked it as to-read
Aug 26, 2014
Erin
Erin is currently reading it
Aug 24, 2014
Mon
Mon added it
Aug 21, 2014
Brittany
Brittany marked it as to-read
Jul 17, 2014
Sabrina
Sabrina marked it as to-read
Jul 12, 2014
Magdalena
Magdalena marked it as to-read
Jul 06, 2014
If Teacups Could Talk: Sharing a Cup of Kindness with Treasured Friends A Little Book of Manners: Courtesy & Kindness for Young Ladies Survival for Busy Women The Spirit of Loveliness: Bringing Beauty, Creativity, and Order to Your Life Emilie's Creative Home Organizer