Start by marking “The Parting Glass” as Want to Read:
The Parting Glass

The Parting Glass (Whiskey Islands #2)

The USA Today bestselling author continues the journey of her novel Whisky Island with this unforgettable tale of star-cross lovers, murder, and three sisters who discover a hidden legacy that will lead them home at last to Ireland.
Published May 1st 2007 by Mira Books (first published 2003)

To ask other readers questions about The Parting Glass, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Parting Glass

Vickie
Jan 24, 2008 Vickie added it
Great book about women friends who are quilters.
Gloria Bernal
Aug 31, 2009 Gloria Bernal rated it really liked it
In this sequel to Whiskey Island, we once again get drawn in to the lives of the Donaghue sisters, Megan, Casey and Peggy. This opens with the marriage of Megan to the former priest Nick. When an earthquake rattles everyone at their wedding in the saloon that the family runs, an old tunnel is discovered and provides an escape route for their guests. Apparently, this tunnel was used for bootlegging back in the day of their Irish ancestors. Here begins two stories, the one of the girls in present ...more
Michelle
Jul 23, 2011 Michelle rated it liked it
Shelves: romance
This is the sequel to Whiskey Island and revisits the lives of the 3 Donaghue sisters. The book focuses primarily on Megan, who is about to get married to Niccolo, a former priest, and Peggy, the youngest sister, who has a son with signs of autism. At the wedding reception at their saloon, a freak tornado causes the guests to be trapped. Their father is able to lead them out through some secret tunnels from the Prohibition era. The remainder of book deals with the rebuilding of the saloon and th ...more
Ferne
Apr 07, 2013 Ferne rated it really liked it
I did not realize until reading some of the other reviews that this book is a sequel. It's easy to enjoy as a stand alone novel. This is my second read of a title by Emilie Richards and definitely an author that I'm glad to have discovered. The author has a lovely way of incorporating multiple story lines - a family of Irish heritage learning more of their genealogy both in Ireland and in the United States, the emotions of daily life from learning of a child's autism to a spouse/parent's grief i ...more
Ruth
Sep 04, 2008 Ruth rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book is about three sisters from Cleveland. The family business is a saloon/restaurant that has been in business since the early 1900's. The family is Irish. One of the sisters is a single mom to an autistic toddler. She moves to Ireland to act as an in-home caregiver to a newly discovered relative, a job that will allow her to spend significant time teaching her son. While there she meets a handsome widower. Another sister runs the saloon and at the beginning of the book the saloon burns d ...more
Laura Lander
Jan 29, 2017 Laura Lander rated it liked it
The title of this book attracted me to it because of the traditional Irish song of the same name. It's a light read, and worthwhile for all who enjoy reading about Irish immigrants to the US, and stories set in Ireland. This story line travels between past and present, and between Cleveland, Ohio and a small village in Ireland. The plot picks up speed as you go, I found it just a tad slow in the beginning. I understand it is a sequel, and now I'd like to read the book that precedes it.
Beth
Feb 20, 2014 Beth rated it really liked it
I liked the multi-generational story in Cleveland and Ireland. The story linked the life of an Irish immigrant in Prohibition era Cleveland with that of a modern Irish family running the family pub. I enjoyed the characters and the Prohibition stories. It was a great read to enjoy while bathing each morning.
Renee
Dec 12, 2009 Renee rated it it was amazing
Shelves: fiction, romance
Earlier this year I wrote about Richards' earlier book, Whiskey Island; this book takes up about two years later. I can't really talk about the plot of the book -- it would give away things from Whiskey Island -- but I can say that Richards' character studies are amazing. Even if you don't like romances, these books are definitely worth picking up (probably this one even more).
Haley
Jul 07, 2011 Haley rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I would really give this 3.75 stars or closer to 4 stars. I really liked the author's style and the history that was incorporated into the novel. There was a lot going on with the history and at times you were trying to figure out how it all related. So it was a good mystery.
Doris
Mar 17, 2013 Doris rated it really liked it
Pleasantly surprised, not my usual mystery, though it had some mystery to it. Book goes back and forth from old world Ireland to current day Ohio following one family's journey. Well written. Will read this author again.
Karen
Sep 10, 2014 Karen rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: gave-up-on
Sorry to say I gave up on this book after reading 100 pages. I found it slow moving and dull. Having thoroughly enjoyed Whiskey Island, this sequel was a disappointment to me. Perhaps it was my mood of the day, who knows. I may give it a try in the future, but at this point, I highly doubt it.
Janet
Jun 27, 2012 Janet rated it it was amazing
Loved this book. A rich story with great characters. Read it in a day. Enjoyed the twists and turns of the story.
Rosie
May 31, 2009 Rosie rated it really liked it
great
Tiffany
Nov 09, 2015 Tiffany rated it really liked it
A decent sequel to its first part, Whiskey Island. An enjoyable read.
Cheryl S.
Jan 11, 2013 Cheryl S. rated it liked it
Shelves: ireland, chiclit, 2013
Nice read.
Susan
May 09, 2014 Susan added it
Marge
Jul 12, 2009 Marge rated it liked it
This is the sequel to Whiskey Island which you should read first.
JAN ROBERTSON
Jun 05, 2016 JAN ROBERTSON rated it really liked it
another great book by Emilie Richards following the Donaghue Sisters to Ireland
Barbara
May 10, 2009 Barbara rated it it was amazing
A great followup to Whiskey Island.
Tammy-Anne
Dec 18, 2010 Tammy-Anne rated it liked it
sweet well written story.
Kristin
Jul 25, 2011 Kristin rated it really liked it
Whiskey island is one of my all time favorite books ever. This sequel did not disappoint. I loved having another chance to enjoy these characters.
Phylis Hopkins
Mar 09, 2016 Phylis Hopkins rated it it was amazing
A wonderful end to the story begun in Whiskey Island. Loved it.
Nancy
Aug 23, 2014 Nancy rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Good book

Good book

This was a great follow-up to the story of Whiskey Island. I wish there was more to this story. I always enjoy Emilie's books.
Alex
Dec 16, 2011 Alex rated it it was amazing
I enjoyed this book about two families who came from Ireland and the mystery surrounding them.
Lu
Feb 22, 2010 Lu marked it as to-read
Shelves: book-2
2nd Whiskey Island
Megan
Feb 12, 2011 Megan rated it really liked it
The sequel to Whiskey Island tells us more about the lives of the sisters. Recently re-read!
Patty Rush
Feb 14, 2011 Patty Rush rated it liked it
just started it but I don't know how to change the status from still reading to 'finished reading'.
Nancy
Jul 13, 2012 Nancy rated it really liked it
I enjoyed the switching back between present day & the past.
Kristin
I didn't want this one to end. I loved this family, in the past and present. There wasn't a ton of action but this was a wonderful character story.
Gretchen
Apr 26, 2013 Gretchen rated it liked it
3.5. There was so much going on in this book--so many different stories. I enjoyed the last third finally as I settled in.
  • The Will of Wisteria
  • The Elevator
  • The Safety of Secrets
  • The View from Prince Street
  • There's Always Plan B
  • Recipes & Wooden Spoons (Tales from Grace Chapel Inn, #3)
  • Bachelorette #1
  • Come Walk with Me
  • An Ocean Apart
  • Coffee And Kung Fu
  • Random Hearts
  • Little Chapel on the River: A Pub, a Town and the Search for What Matters Most
  • Autumn in Scotland
  • Rewriting Monday
  • On Wings of the Morning
  • Alligator Lake
  • Underfoot (Bellagio #2)
  • Dream Country
I'm the author of seventy-something novels, including romance, women's fiction and mystery. When We Were Sisters debuted in June 2016, a stand alone novel about two foster sisters traveling back into their past together. I loved writing it and love the cover my publisher chose.

I'm also excited about my recent series, Goddesses Anonymous, which started with One Mountain Away and was followed by So
More about Emilie Richards...

Whiskey Islands (2 books)
  • Whiskey Island